PDA

View Full Version : Paging TexasLidig8r...

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/30/2008, 01:42 AM
You were the most prominent Texas fan on the board I could think of off the top of my head...thought maybe you could answer me a question.

I got to the Prentice Gautt chapter of the latest OU football book I'm reading, and was wondering who was the first black player for Texas, and when? I don't know anything about it aside from the fact that the 1969 team was the last all-white squad to win a MNC.

JLEW1818
9/30/2008, 01:45 AM
Julius Whittier?

Theskipster
9/30/2008, 09:09 AM
Julius Whittier?

That's correct.

He was a freshman on the 1969 Texas team.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/30/2008, 11:13 AM
Did he eventually start a chain of frozen beverage enterprise that can be found in local shopping malls?

I'm sorry. The man's name is Julius, and he played for Texas. I couldn't resist making an http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/ba/Orange_Julius_logo.svg/300px- joke.

In all seriousness, let's admire the guy, who's apparently a high-powered Dallas attorney now.

stoopified
9/30/2008, 12:06 PM
OU has their first black player in 1956(rember frosh weren't eligible until 1972) and it takes Royal 13 more years to put Jim Crow behind him. Hmmm.

guzziguy
9/30/2008, 12:58 PM
OU has their first black player in 1956(rember frosh weren't eligible until 1972) and it takes Royal 13 more years to put Jim Crow behind him. Hmmm.

Texa$$ is in the old south. I can and do hate them for a lot of reasons. This one, no. Lots of people were really stupid back then. Some of them lived in my Tulsa neighborhood. A few of them were family.

---Old enough to remember the "Colored" and "White" drinking fountains at the Kress store in downtown Tulsa.---

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2008, 01:28 PM
That's correct.

He was a freshman on the 1969 Texas team.

Ran into him at a Dallas Bar Assocation function a few years ago.
Great guy.

The movie on Ernie Davis coming out the day before the Texas - OU game should be very interesting in terms of dealing with race relations in the 50s and 60s, not only in the south but nationwide.

RacerX
9/30/2008, 01:35 PM

Iowa State - 1923.

badger
9/30/2008, 01:37 PM
Hey Lid, just curious...

Are you and your fellow whorns already cringing at how ya'll will be depicted in that "First Black Heisman" movie that's coming out? It seems on-topic here, so just asking. From the previews of it, it's like they're trying to make Texas look like Mississippi or something.

cvsooner
9/30/2008, 01:43 PM
Texas is like Mississippi, only without the charm. And since Jevan Snead transferred...they're inextricably linked.

fadada1
9/30/2008, 02:00 PM
Texas is like Mississippi, only without the charm.

yeah, that's the only difference.

:D

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Lid, just curious...

Are you and your fellow whorns already cringing at how ya'll will be depicted in that "First Black Heisman" movie that's coming out? It seems on-topic here, so just asking. From the previews of it, it's like they're trying to make Texas look like Mississippi or something.

Yes... We're already breaking out the white sheets and burning crosses in anticipation of liberal Hollywood making us look like that. :mad:

The Maestro
9/30/2008, 02:09 PM
After Cedric Benson and VY, Texas should reconsider the past...

I KEED, I KEED!

RacerX
9/30/2008, 02:17 PM
Yes... We're already breaking out the white sheets and burning crosses in anticipation of liberal Hollywood making us look like that. :mad:

Going to party like it's 1959?

badger
9/30/2008, 02:39 PM

Well, they've already signed off on the movie for the Boise State fiasco, so you'll have your turn when that comes out to make fun of us for being the bad guys and all.

However, regardless of what happens in reel life in the future, we will never have the equivalent of this:
http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/2616/2030/lo/coc.jpg

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/30/2008, 03:12 PM
However, regardless of what happens in reel life in the future, we will never have the equivalent of this:
http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/2616/2030/lo/coc.jpg

THIS is Oklahoma football!

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/tvradio/slideshow/tv_goldies/img_6.jpg

Maverick, Jim Rockford, and President Douglas. All way cooler than Tommy Lee Jones.

stoopified
9/30/2008, 04:15 PM
Iowa State - 1923.

Never said OU was on the cutting edge of integration.Just ahead of most teams in this part of the country.Last time i looked on a map Iowa is well NORTH of Jim Crow states.

NYC Poke
9/30/2008, 04:18 PM
Texas is like Mississippi, only without the charm. And since Jevan Snead transferred...they're inextricably linked.

And with a functioning economy.

At least until lately, when, you know . . .

SoonerShark
9/30/2008, 04:25 PM

Avowed White supremacist Darrel Royal was from Oklahoma, though.

SoonerShark
9/30/2008, 04:28 PM
Of course, didn't OSU have their racist infamy? What player did they single out to terrorize 40+ years ago? I wonder if TBooneHead will finance a movie touting that game?

SoonerShark
9/30/2008, 04:34 PM
Prentice Gautt was quite a scholar, too, wasn't he? If Vince Young does not continue his football career perhaps he can apply for the Dr. Prentice Gautt Postgraduate Scholarship. If not, maybe the Elmo Sesame Street Scholarship Committee will help him out.

froneal
9/30/2008, 04:44 PM
Of course, didn't OSU have their racist infamy? What player did they single out to terrorize 40+ years ago? I wonder if TBooneHead will finance a movie touting that game?

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Bright_incident

Johnny Bright's participation as a halfback/quarterback in the collegiate football game between the Drake Bulldogs and Oklahoma A&M Aggies on October 20, 1951 at Lewis Field was controversial even before it began. Although Bright had been the first African-American football player to play at Lewis Field two years prior (without incident); in 1951, Bright was a pre-season Heisman Trophy candidate from Drake, and led the nation in total offense.[1] Bright had never played for a losing team in his college career, and on the day of the contest, Drake University carried a five game winning streak into the contest. Drake's record owed much to Bright's superior rushing and passing abilities. During the first seven minutes of the game, Bright was knocked unconscious three times by blows from Oklahoma A&M defensive tackle Wilbanks Smith. While Smith's final elbow blow broke Bright's jaw, he was still able to complete a 61-yard touchdown pass to Drake halfback Jim Pilkington a few plays later.[1] Soon afterward, the injury finally forced him to leave the game. Bright finished the game with less than 100 yards, the first time in his three year collegiate career at Drake. Oklahoma A&M eventually won the game 27–14.[1]

Bob Spiegel, a reporter with the Des Moines Register, interviewed several spectators after the game, eventually publishing a report on the incident in the October 30, 1951 issue of the newspaper. According to Spiegel's report, several of the Oklahoma A&M students he interviewed overheard an Oklahoma A&M coach repeatedly say "Get that ******" whenever the A&M practice squad ran Drake plays against the Oklahoma A&M starting defense, prior to the October 20 game.[2] Spiegel also recounted the experiences of a businessman and his wife, who were seated behind a group of Oklahoma A&M practice squad players. At the beginning of the game, one of the players turned around said, "We're gonna get that ******."[2] After the first blow to Bright was delivered by Smith, the same player again turned around and told the businessman, "See that knot on my jaw? That same guy [Smith] gave me that the very same way in practice."[2]

edit: OSU did formally apologize for the incident in 2005. :rolleyes:

RacerX
9/30/2008, 04:47 PM
Never said OU was on the cutting edge of integration.Just ahead of most teams in this part of the country.Last time i looked on a map Iowa is well NORTH of Jim Crow states.

Relax, I was just adding conference perspective.

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2008, 10:17 PM
The movie on Ernie Davis coming out the day before the Texas - OU game

Ernie Davis was gay?

I didn't know that. Now that I have solid facts to back it up, I will spread the story on the Internet so that everyone will know.

Big Red Ron
9/30/2008, 10:42 PM
Funny thing about Tommy Lee Jones, he's part native american and his family is from Oklahoma. Paging Darrell Royal...