PDA

View Full Version : Brian Britt.....

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/29/2008, 07:47 PM
will receive his Director of Bands trophy by sending in five UPC labels from the top of his Fruity Pebbles cereal box, along with $4.99 shipping and handling. Of course, so will 20,000 five-year-olds

(This seemed like a fun idea ;))
(P.S. Stole the insult from Badger)

Sooner_Havok
9/29/2008, 08:13 PM
Any idea why he wasn't conducting until the fourth quarter?

badger
9/29/2008, 08:14 PM
will receive his Director of Bands trophy by sending in five UPC labels from the top of his Fruity Pebbles cereal box, along with $4.99 shipping and handling. Of course, so will 20,000 five-year-olds

(This seemed like a fun idea ;))
(P.S. Stole the insult from Badger)

You're gonna get me in trouble, man. Don't tie me into this crap.

Badger does not endorse the above statement. Badger is staying the heeeelll away from this one.

PrideTuba
9/29/2008, 08:20 PM
i'll endorse the statement for you Badger :)

badger
9/29/2008, 08:30 PM
i'll endorse the statement for you Badger :)

Ok, fair enough.

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/29/2008, 08:39 PM
...needs to work on his kick-return coverage.

Brian Britt
9/29/2008, 08:50 PM
...is intrigued by the idea of 20,000 five-year-olds.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/29/2008, 09:09 PM
...wishes the good people of SF.com would stop blaming him for stuff that's either Joe C's fault, or is the result of bitchy donors.

Neg spek me if you want...money makes the monkey dance, and the man has never been anything but wonderful to both me and my family.

DallasSooner87
9/29/2008, 11:23 PM
...wishes the good people of SF.com would stop blaming him for stuff that's either Joe C's fault, or is the result of bitchy donors.

Neg spek me if you want...money makes the monkey dance, and the man has never been anything but wonderful to both me and my family.

second

Paperclip
9/29/2008, 11:29 PM
Any idea why he wasn't conducting until the fourth quarter?

I'm going to have to request you not post in this thread again.

Sooner_Havok
9/29/2008, 11:57 PM
I'm going to have to request you not post in this thread again.

:D

Scott D
9/29/2008, 11:59 PM

..wonders why you are calling him a monkey.

tommieharris91
9/30/2008, 12:09 AM
...requests that you not post in this thread.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/30/2008, 12:39 AM

Well if you must know he once threw feces on my good friend Dolemite, if that is wonderful I would like to see prick ;)

Sooner_Havok
9/30/2008, 12:49 AM
...needs to play the theme from Batman again! That **** was the bomb!

MrJimBeam
9/30/2008, 04:15 AM
...needs to play the theme from Batman again! That **** was the bomb!

Silverado!!!!

froneal
9/30/2008, 10:09 AM
...respects the sanctity of the Texas Longhorn Nation. :rolleyes:

MichiganSooner
9/30/2008, 01:02 PM
second

"Aye". I like Mr. Britt and Mr. Thrailkill, too.

froneal
9/30/2008, 03:39 PM
Money makes the monkey dance

Based on how much Britt makes, I'm fairly sure he's overpaid for the "work" he does based on boring drill and recycled music. On a personal level I've never had a problem with him. Many people I know have gotten on his bad side, however, and their experiences with him have definitely not helped his (dis)reputation. Based on how bad the Pride has fallen since 2003, I refuse to donate to the band until he's gone.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/30/2008, 03:49 PM
Many people I know have gotten on his bad side, however, and their experiences with him have definitely not helped his (dis)reputation.

Here's an idea: don't break the rules. Britt is the nicest person in the world if you simply do what he asks, when he asks, and treat him with respect. He doesn't ask much of the band members, he really doesn't. Do you think when Ryan Broyles steals gas, Dusty punches his HS buddies, and Bomar does of which we do not speak, they all band together and start FireBobStoops.com? Of course not. And we on the board applaud Stoops for his no-nonsense approach and zero-tolerance policy when it comes to bull$hit. And for all you Pride whiners that complain about not having fun anymore...there are plenty of ways to have fun, just BE RESPONSIBLE and DON'T GET CAUGHT!!! I've been drunk-o-plenty on post-Hammontree Texas and bowl trips...as long as you don't show up to rehearsal or games drunk/noticeably hungover, or embarass the organization, nobody cares.

Based on how bad the Pride has fallen since 2003, I refuse to donate to the band until he's gone.

Coach retired in 2000, ergo, '01, '02, and '03 were all Britt-led years. What's your arguement there?

froneal
9/30/2008, 04:04 PM
Here's an idea: don't break the rules. Britt is the nicest person in the world if you simply do what he asks, when he asks, and treat him with respect. He doesn't ask much of the band members, he really doesn't. Do you think when Ryan Broyles steals gas, Dusty punches his HS buddies, and Bomar does of which we do not speak, they all band together and start FireBobStoops.com? Of course not. And we on the board applaud Stoops for his no-nonsense approach and zero-tolerance policy when it comes to bull$hit. And for all you Pride whiners that complain about not having fun anymore...there are plenty of ways to have fun, just BE RESPONSIBLE and DON'T GET CAUGHT!!! I've been drunk-o-plenty on post-Hammontree Texas and bowl trips...as long as you don't show up to rehearsal or games drunk/noticeably hungover, or embarass the organization, nobody cares.

I didn't start drinking until I was 22 and out of the Pride. I never once showed up hungover (obviously) and I never had an issue with the "banning" of alcohol. I laughed at the idiots that got kicked out of Pride for drinking. The only major change was that members weren't "allowed" to bring alcohol on the bus, but they still did. (On the Texas trip in 2003 I watched a guy down a fifth of Jack Daniels from Norman to Purcell.) It's more than some immature whining about it not being fun anymore, though it still isn't fun based on complaints I've heard from current members (and some of those even freshmen).

The problem with Britt is that he treats the Pride like a concert ensemble rather than a marching band. The Pride is nothing but a canvas used for graduate assistants and band staff to practice on. The drill used to be top-notch and now is just a pattern to follow. The Pride used to be the loudest thing in the stadium; now the student section has started to drown them out. No one cares about how "good" or "clean" the Pride sounds. They want to hear (or should want to hear) Boomer Sooner as loud as possible, as often as possible. No one seriously cares about the halftime shows, and especially even less as of late. They played an Avril Lavigne song last year, and a Lifehouse song this year. Seriously? Britt needs to remember that there are no competitions the Pride goes to. The band is there to be loud, and that's it.

Coach retired in 2000, ergo, '01, '02, and '03 were all Britt-led years. What's your arguement there?

The members of the Pride under Coach stayed through then. They'd already learned the basics under Coach, and it didn't work to try to indoctrinate them into playing under Britt's type of direction. The more those members phased out of the Pride, the worse the band got. This allowed Britt's influence to permeate the Pride more and more until ultimately he had full control. Comparing CDs of the Pride from 2000 and from 2005 is like night and day, and not only in volume but in tone quality, ensemble balance and articulation. It was simply better back then. :)

edit: I should add that Britt has allowed more and more members into the Pride since his inception. In 2000, the band had about 250 members. As of now it's at 320+. With more members comes more numbers at the expense of quality musicians. When I was in Pride, there were definitely some people that simply should not have been allowed to be in the band. They couldn't march to save their lives and had a hell of a time keeping up with the playing demands of a college marching band. A bigger band doesn't make a better band. They need to cut back to at least under 300, imo.

badger
9/30/2008, 04:09 PM
It was simply better back then. :)

The reason I lurk at aggie is because it is way too funny to hear current students and "former students" (haha, aggies, so clever) about how the student section used to be louder and more dedicated and better when they were back in school. The battle between "New Army" and "Old Army" never ends, no matter what, which is what makes that place so "Aggie" to begin with.

:rolleyes:

My last post in this thread shall be a plea - please do not turn these discussions into an Aggie fight. We all know everything was better when you were at school. whenever that happened to be.

froneal
9/30/2008, 04:18 PM
My last post in this thread shall be a plea - please do not turn these discussions into an Aggie fight. We all know everything was better when you were at school. whenever that happened to be.

In my opinion (and a vast majority of other's opinion) the Pride's changes are objective, but to each his/her own. :)

edit: Though I do agree that the "better back then" argument is basically stupid. There's no comeback other than "NUH-UH!" which then makes the discussion as moot as any other Internet argument. ;)

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/30/2008, 04:25 PM

You couldn't be more wrong here, buddy. We've discussed at great length on this board some of the issues that people have had with the Pride's leadership before, and the only people he leaves alone are the ones that kiss his ***. I used to think Brian Britt was a great guy too, but I soon realized he just does and says the things he needs to do to make himself look good.

You should read through the fire brian britt thread on the south oval.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
9/30/2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't start drinking until I was 22 and out of the Pride. I never once showed up hungover (obviously) and I never had an issue with the "banning" of alcohol. I laughed at the idiots that got kicked out of Pride for drinking. The only major change was that members weren't "allowed" to bring alcohol on the bus, but they still did. (On the Texas trip in 2003 I watched a guy down a fifth of Jack Daniels from Norman to Purcell.) It's more than some immature whining about it not being fun anymore, though it still isn't fun based on complaints I've heard from current members (and some of those even freshmen).

The problem with Britt is that he treats the Pride like a concert ensemble rather than a marching band. The Pride is nothing but a canvas used for graduate assistants and band staff to practice on. The drill used to be top-notch and now is just a pattern to follow. The Pride used to be the loudest thing in the stadium; now the student section has started to drown them out. No one cares about how "good" or "clean" the Pride sounds. They want to hear (or should want to hear) Boomer Sooner as loud as possible, as often as possible. No one seriously cares about the halftime shows, and especially even less as of late. They played an Avril Lavigne song last year, and a Lifehouse song this year. Seriously? Britt needs to remember that there are no competitions the Pride goes to. The band is there to be loud, and that's it.

The members of the Pride under Coach stayed through then. They'd already learned the basics under Coach, and it didn't work to try to indoctrinate them into playing under Britt's type of direction. The more those members phased out of the Pride, the worse the band got. This allowed Britt's influence to permeate the Pride more and more until ultimately he had full control. Comparing CDs of the Pride from 2000 and from 2005 is like night and day, and not only in volume but in tone quality, ensemble balance and articulation. It was simply better back then. :)

edit: I should add that Britt has allowed more and more members into the Pride since his inception. In 2000, the band had about 250 members. As of now it's at 320+. With more members comes more numbers at the expense of quality musicians. When I was in Pride, there were definitely some people that simply should not have been allowed to be in the band. They couldn't march to save their lives and had a hell of a time keeping up with the playing demands of a college marching band. A bigger band doesn't make a better band. They need to cut back to at least under 300, imo.

Your numbers are wrong. It hasn't been up to 320+ since 2003-2004. The number dipped below 300 in 2006 when it had 299 members. This year there are 305 members - including colorguard.

Scott D
9/30/2008, 04:35 PM
get back on topic, this thread is now about why SbOrOiNaEnR thinks Britt is a monkey.

I request the rest of you stop posting in this thread.

froneal
9/30/2008, 04:35 PM
Your numbers are wrong. It hasn't been up to 320+ since 2003-2004. The number dipped below 300 in 2006 when it had 299 members. This year there are 305 members - including colorguard.

I misspoke (-typed?). Well, I guess they should get back to about 250 then. :D

stoopified
9/30/2008, 04:52 PM
Band smack? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/30/2008, 05:03 PM
:rolleyes:

Well said, badj. If you look through my posts, you'll notice I haven't once made the arguement that the Pride is greater than or equal to previous year's groups. However, I'm merely pointing out that I think it's unfair to crucify Britt the way I've seen it happen on the board. The man helps provide free entertainment to you f'n hillbillies 12-13 Saturdays (and a bowl trip) per year, and he doesn't deserved to be vilified this way.

And I know this is going to disappoint so many people reading this thread...but the monkey thing...figure of speech. Nothing more. ;)

Ardmore_Sooner
9/30/2008, 05:04 PM
...killed the Pride.

starclassic tama
9/30/2008, 09:17 PM
who needs boomer sooner when we can have a ZOMBIE NATION

Scott D
9/30/2008, 09:19 PM
I'm going to request that you not post in this thread.

sooneron
9/30/2008, 09:41 PM
... is gonna come at you like a spider monkey...

PrideTuba
9/30/2008, 11:01 PM
Well said, badj. If you look through my posts, you'll notice I haven't once made the arguement that the Pride is greater than or equal to previous year's groups. However, I'm merely pointing out that I think it's unfair to crucify Britt the way I've seen it happen on the board. The man helps provide free entertainment to you f'n hillbillies 12-13 Saturdays (and a bowl trip) per year, and he doesn't deserved to be vilified this way.

And I know this is going to disappoint so many people reading this thread...but the monkey thing...figure of speech. Nothing more. ;)

Technically, it's not free. I've paid quite a bit of money for my season tickets and Brian isn't delivering the entertainment for what I've paid.

Yes he does deserve to be vilified this way, everything he gets from me and others he has brought on himself.

froneal
9/30/2008, 11:04 PM
...respects our opponents in the name of good sportsmanship.

By the way, it looks like firebrianbritt.com (http://www.firebrianbritt.com) has just gotten a redesign, so if anyone is curious then check it out. Maybe send in some fan mail if you feel so inclined, I know I'm going to. :D

Brian Britt
9/30/2008, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone!
What a great day to have spirited debates on this great board of ours!

In reality, the Pride has gotten quieter over the last decade and a half. However, this has ABSOLUTLEY[sic] NOTHING to do with my teaching methods! There is a perfectly scientific reason for the noticeable decrease in volume. When Owen Field was swithced[sic] back to grass it dampened the volume coming from the Pride. Never mind the decrease in the 2000's.
BOOMER

Brian A. Britt
Director and Scientologist
The University of Oklahoma

Scott D
9/30/2008, 11:26 PM
I'm going to request that you no longer post in this thread.

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/30/2008, 11:27 PM
heh

dolemitesooner
10/3/2008, 11:40 AM

Listen.....

Plan and simple Coach > Britt

Britt may be the greatest ****ing guy in the world. I am sure the guy would give me the shirt off of his back.

This has nothing to do with some of the things that he has changed that has ruined the pride in my opinon.

1. There are to many ****ing flutes, piccolos and clarinets. You can't here **** in the stands its like the band is not even there.

2. The halftime shows Blow. AVRIL LAVINE?

3. Last season he played GO GATERS? wtf?

dolemitesooner
10/3/2008, 11:41 AM
Also I will add that my grandmother worked for the pride for 20 something years.
See even thinks Brit is bad for the pride, and is one the reasons she retired early.