PDA

View Full Version : 2001 OU/KSU in Norman

SteelClip49
9/29/2008, 01:43 PM
All I remember was, we were up 38-14 and all of a sudden KSU started playing and played their entire season in that comeback. Who would have thought we would have won that game considering how OU was owned in the 2nd half. Final was 38-37....I remember not hearing a lot of cheers because to some it felt like a loss but OU kept on pluggng away and KSU finished the season 6-6. Man, what an odd game that was.

cheezyq
9/29/2008, 01:51 PM
All I remember was, we were up 38-14 and all of a sudden KSU started playing and played their entire season in that comeback. Who would have thought we would have won that game considering how OU was owned in the 2nd half. Final was 38-37....I remember not hearing a lot of cheers because to some it felt like a loss but OU kept on pluggng away and KSU finished the season 6-6. Man, what an odd game that was.

Defense couldn't stop Ell Roberson that 2nd half, with his run/pass combo. We struggled with MU the next year, too, with Brad Smith. Every once in a while a good run/pass QB would give us the fits those days, but we'd still find a way to win.

I believe that KSU game is also the game that Jason White hurt his knee the first time, and Hybl came in to replace him.

King Crimson
9/29/2008, 01:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Hybl started that game and got beat up (shoulder). he got put out again against UT and White came off the bench. White's first knee injury was at Nebraska, i think.

cheezyq
9/29/2008, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Hybl started that game and got beat up (shoulder). he got put out again against UT and White came off the bench. White's first knee injury was at Nebraska, i think.

You're right. I was just about to edit my post. Got the games mixed up for some reason. White was injured against NU.

yermom
9/29/2008, 02:03 PM
Hybl got the crap knocked out of him in that game. seems like he took a lot of sacks though

i can't remember if it was late in that year or the next when we would cheer in the student section when he'd throw the ball away when the play broke down

he was a much better QB when he started doing that...

badger
9/29/2008, 02:04 PM
When in doubt, the KSU game had QB injury issues. That's just how the dirty cats play. :mad:

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/29/2008, 02:51 PM
That is the game where band members went to the hotel the night before and played a midnight wake up call to the K-State football team. Ah, the joys of being a college student and getting away with stuff you normally wouldn't!

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/29/2008, 03:13 PM
That is the game where band members went to the hotel the night before and played a midnight wake up call to the K-State football team. Ah, the joys of being a college student and getting away with stuff you normally wouldn't!

You'd get your a$$ kicked out of the Pride for a stunt like that these days.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/29/2008, 03:21 PM
You'd get your a$$ kicked out of the Pride for a stunt like that these days.

Yeah, but that would be a small band. Over 100 members were there.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2008, 04:28 PM
I remember hybl hurting his shoulder really bad but him making some great throws..KSU blitzed every down it seemed..watching the game, he threw a 15 yard pass to somebody that was so impressive that one of the announcers said something along the lines of that is the best pass he has ever seen thrown, due to hybl zipping it in with a severely banged up shoulder

Sooner04
9/29/2008, 04:42 PM
Hybl threw a rainbow TD pass to Savage down the West sideline about one millisecond before he got absolutely clobbered by a K-State defender. Right under the chin, just obliterated him, and the pass was right on the money. An unbelievable pass.

I think it was Bob Griese who called the 10-15 yard completion one of the greatest throws he'd ever seen, but I seem to remember that coming in the Texas game. I've slept since then, so the old memory isn't the steel trap it used to be. Plus, I was at most of these games, so the TV broadcasts run together.

That's one of the main reasons a lot of people around here loathe Soonerus. All that clown would do is bash Hybl and bring up his shortcomings while most remembered the guy just getting annihilated out there and still winning games for us. Hybl's 2002 was remarkable when you consider how 2001 ended.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2008, 04:59 PM
Hybl threw a rainbow TD pass to Savage down the West sideline about one millisecond before he got absolutely clobbered by a K-State defender. Right under the chin, just obliterated him, and the pass was right on the money. An unbelievable pass.

I think it was Bob Griese who called the 10-15 yard completion one of the greatest throws he'd ever seen, but I seem to remember that coming in the Texas game. I've slept since then, so the old memory isn't the steel trap it used to be. Plus, I was at most of these games, so the TV broadcasts run together.

That's one of the main reasons a lot of people around here loathe Soonerus. All that clown would do is bash Hybl and bring up his shortcomings while most remembered the guy just getting annihilated out there and still winning games for us. Hybl's 2002 was remarkable when you consider how 2001 ended.

It was Griese..I kept thinking it was a former quarterback who said it..I do remember it was the KSU game...

I always thought Hybl was a better pro prospect because he had a textbook release, a strong arm to make the NFL type throws, and developed decent footwork.Good size also..

Despite injuries he did manage to make an NFL roster(late call up from the practice squad), something no other Stoops QB has done

badger
9/29/2008, 05:03 PM
Hybl remains, to this day, the only Sooner quarterback in the Stoops era to make an NFL main roster (Paul Thompson was briefly on the Packers practice squad, but cut midseason last year). He may have infuriated some fans with his random acts of scrambling, he may have not had Jason White's speed pre-ACL tears or Jason White's arm strength sans-ACLs, but he never jumped off the back of any trucks, took money for work he didn't do, or embarrass the program off-the-field.

StoopTroup
9/29/2008, 05:10 PM
Hybl remains, to this day, the only Sooner quarterback in the Stoops era to make an NFL main roster (Paul Thompson was briefly on the Packers practice squad, but cut midseason last year). He may have infuriated some fans with his random acts of scrambling, he may have not had Jason White's speed pre-ACL tears or Jason White's arm strength sans-ACLs, but he never jumped off the back of any trucks, took money for work he didn't do, or embarrass the program off-the-field.

Amen.

He's always gonna be a favorite of mine.

Well said.

TopDawg
9/29/2008, 05:17 PM

Didn't it go something like this:

Hybl gets pounded against KSU. Stays in and we get the win.
Hybl gets pounded again against Texas and injures his shoulder. White comes in and we win the game 14-3 behind some fancy footwork by White (and, more importantly, a stifling defense).
White plays the Kansas game. Wasn't that the game he and Trent Smith put up some crazy numbers?
White was the QB for Baylor and we won that one.
White starts the Nebraska game, then gets injured and Hybl comes in and gets pounded around and White comes back in on an injured knee for a few plays while they remind Hybl where he is and then Hybl comes back out and continues to get battered around.

TopDawg
9/29/2008, 05:18 PM
I think it was Bob Griese who called the 10-15 yard completion one of the greatest throws he'd ever seen, but I seem to remember that coming in the Texas game.

I think you're right that it was Texas.

TopDawg
9/29/2008, 05:20 PM
Hybl got the crap knocked out of him in that game. seems like he took a lot of sacks though

i can't remember if it was late in that year or the next when we would cheer in the student section when he'd throw the ball away when the play broke down

he was a much better QB when he started doing that...

That was one of the most infuriating things. He'd be running toward the sideline looking for something downfield and instead of throwing the ball away penalty-free to get it back at the original line of scrimmage, he'd run out of bounds for a 3 yard loss. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sooner04
9/29/2008, 05:24 PM
Now, in Hybl's defense, I can remember a couple of occasions where a screen play broke down and Nate's running for his life. He ends up eating the ball and taking a three-yard loss by running out of bounds because, if he heaves it into the stands, we lose a lot more yardage because half the O-line is 20 yards downfield still anticipating the screen play working.

I remember berating Nate from the upper deck for those transgressions and then taking a peek at the jumbotron and feeling rather small.

King Crimson
9/29/2008, 06:00 PM
also, in Nate's defense, our OL in 01 was pretty thin. i think that's the year they moved Jammal Brown to OL and I remember Vince Carter starting as a FR at center against Nebraska...and NU was all over him on every play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/29/2008, 06:06 PM
yeah, that was a pass to clayton on 2nd and 25 where he threw it as corey redding was demonstrating perfect form on how to deliver a knockout blow to a QB. he ran off the field holding his shoulder. white came in on the next play and threw a pass to clayton who showed us flashes of the future by jitterbugging for a first down. on the next play, derick johnson blitzed and was depantsed by a jason white juke.

Sooner04
9/29/2008, 09:41 PM
By the time the Nebraska game rolled around, people were looking for a reason to bash Hybl. Perfect instance: on the reverse pass back to the QB, Hybl is wide open. I mean WIDE open. If Clayton gets the pass somewhere in the ballpark then it's six, but the ball is so badly underthrown Hybl slips trying to get back to it.

People crucified him for that play, and it was nowhere close to being his fault.

People also forget that he completed a 25-or so-yard pass to Trent Smith on the next play to set us up with First and Goal from the two. I think we lost a yard on three plays and kicked a field goal. The O-line that year was as awful as awful can be.

Sooner04
9/29/2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, and if Nate gets any kind of help from the defense in 2002 we play for the national title. We were #1 for most of the year and our lowest point total was 26. Our D (Everage mainly) totally gagged the eATMe game and then never got off the bus in Stillwater.

Rashaun Woods had never been that open before or since. Ask the Niners.

yermom
9/29/2008, 10:08 PM
it wasn't just the D, it was also the FGs that we love to kick on the road. the Trent Smith fumble when he got sandwiched didn't help either

Nate didn't have an awful game, but we never really threw down field. it was all about the pass behind the first down marker

Beverage on his *** during touchdowns sure did suck though

Salt City Sooner
9/29/2008, 10:18 PM
Didn't it go something like this:

Hybl gets pounded against KSU. Stays in and we get the win.
Hybl gets pounded again against Texas and injures his shoulder. White comes in and we win the game 14-3 behind some fancy footwork by White (and, more importantly, a stifling defense).
White plays the Kansas game. Wasn't that the game he and Trent Smith put up some crazy numbers?
White was the QB for Baylor and we won that one.
White starts the Nebraska game, then gets injured and Hybl comes in and gets pounded around and White comes back in on an injured knee for a few plays while they remind Hybl where he is and then Hybl comes back out and continues to get battered around.
Yes, that was the White to Trent game (4 TD's), but Nate actually started it. White also ran for 117 yds. in that game, & is the last OU QB to break the century mark on the ground.

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2008, 11:04 PM
it wasn't just the D, it was also the FGs that we love to kick on the road. the Trent Smith fumble when he got sandwiched didn't help either

Nate didn't have an awful game, but we never really threw down field. it was all about the pass behind the first down marker

Beverage on his *** during touchdowns sure did suck though

If my memory serves me correct, the O-line never gave him time to throw down the field that year; if only the offense was as good as the D that season, we would have went back to back

cheezyq
9/29/2008, 11:07 PM
I didn't have anything against Hybl, but to me it was always clear that White was the better leader....even from the very first time we could compare the two. I think that's why many don't remember Hybl with fondness. He's kind of viewed as a transitional QB between Heupel and White.

My only criticism of him is what TopDawg alluded to - his tendency to hold on to the ball too long. I realize our OL was in flux those years, but you have to get rid of the ball to help them out, too. Other than that, he was a fine QB.

GottaHavePride
9/29/2008, 11:12 PM
Don't forget about the Hunter Wall fake punt in that KSU game.

About the only thing I remember Hunter Wall doing.