PDA

View Full Version : We either need a new punter,

MamaMia
9/29/2008, 12:57 PM
or I need more Valium.

boomermagic
9/29/2008, 01:05 PM
or I need more Valium.

Actually it scares me everytime we punt because it seems like the snap is never where it should be and we can't cover a kickoff or punt.. We need work on special teams for sure..

sooner518
9/29/2008, 01:06 PM
I thought punt coverage was decent against TCU, but kickoff coverage definitely needs work.

When did we go to the bush-league "3 men between the LOS and the punter" protection scheme on punts? We look like Louisville or something

Mad Dog Madsen
9/29/2008, 01:19 PM
I thought punt coverage was decent against TCU, but kickoff coverage definitely needs work.

When did we go to the bush-league "3 men between the LOS and the punter" protection scheme on punts? We look like Louisville or something

Didn't we only punt it like 30 yards deep?

Cheshire Bear.
9/29/2008, 01:35 PM
Are you guys having special teams issues? Baylor's ran into the same problem. Everything except the punting game is ridiculous. 2 kickers on the roster that can't kick, terrible punt coverage, terrible kick coverage, and terrible punt return team. Kick return is not as bad, but punt return is just awful. What's the deal? You guys are usually solid on ST...

SteelClip49
9/29/2008, 01:39 PM
just like in Forrest Gump where the crowd yells....STOP FORREST.

We need to yell....KICK IT OUT OF BOUNDS or KICK IT IN THE END ZONE.

Just a thought.

Flagstaffsooner
9/29/2008, 01:41 PM
Im up for the more Valium.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 01:43 PM
or we could put helium in the ball...

starclassic tama
9/29/2008, 01:56 PM
?... i thought knall did a good job saturday? a few punts downed inside the 5?

St. Louis Sooner
9/29/2008, 02:00 PM
adding to the worry is field goals ... is anyone reading this confident our kicker can make a 40 yarder?

Also, dag ... when that long snapper shoots the ball through his legs, i kinda cringe. Glad to see I'm not the only one spooked by the event.

fadada1
9/29/2008, 02:02 PM
our lack of depth on kickoffs, and subsequent lack of stopping the guy running the ball back, scares the SH*T out of me. if we can't fix it, something very bad might happen against an opponent that is better than cincy.

yermom
9/29/2008, 02:05 PM
especially on the road... (not Waco)

fwsooner22
9/29/2008, 02:05 PM
Who has valium ?

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2008, 02:06 PM
Looking on the bright side, we did have punts downed at the 1 and the 5.

Regarding kick returns, you have to look at number of long returns against us as well as percentage of long returns. We get to kick off more than most teams in the country :D But yeah, we need to improve on STs. Did anyone really think we wouldn't take a hit on kicking after losing Hartley ?

Mad Dog Madsen
9/29/2008, 02:09 PM
our lack of depth on kickoffs, and subsequent lack of stopping the guy running the ball back, scares the SH*T out of me. if we can't fix it, something very bad might happen against an opponent that is better than cincy.

What he said. lol.

OUthunder
9/29/2008, 02:15 PM
While were at it, can we get a new place kicker too? That guy scares me on every kick.

MojoRisen
9/29/2008, 02:21 PM
We need to fix kick off coverage before Texas - we really can ill afford to give them a gimmie touchdown the way they are playing.

We have not had to attemp a field goal so I can only go by the erratic extra points that it doesn't look good. Stoops seems to have a lot of confidence in stevens inside of 45 yards though...

I think they need to practice the Kick Coverage an extra 30 minutes in practice for the next 2 weeks for sure.

Lott's Bandana
9/29/2008, 02:22 PM
Are you guys having special teams issues? Baylor's ran into the same problem. Everything except the punting game is ridiculous. 2 kickers on the roster that can't kick, terrible punt coverage, terrible kick coverage, and terrible punt return team. Kick return is not as bad, but punt return is just awful. What's the deal? You guys are usually solid on ST...

Sapulvie spoiled ya.

cvsooner
9/29/2008, 03:38 PM
Special teams are a concern, no doubt. Knall bobbled the one snap and then was lucky to get it away. A couple of punts were intentionally short and downed inside the ten. Punting is okay. It doesn't worry me as much as kickoffs and placement teams. Especially with people like Maclin, Bryant and Crabtree coming up. I suspect the special teams squads will get quite a bit more work.

To be fair, kickoff coverage improved a lot after the first one. Lendy Holmes is one fast dude, thankfully.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/29/2008, 04:04 PM
or I need more Valium.

IMO, the punter is alot better than the place kicker!!!

My Opinion Matters
9/29/2008, 04:06 PM
Wrong.

We just need to stop failing at 3rd down conversions.

Animal Mother
9/29/2008, 04:16 PM
Find some guys that can run 8 seconds in the 100 yard dash and they'll get to the 20 before the ball does on kick-offs.

MikeInNorman
9/29/2008, 04:39 PM

I don't like the vogue for this "new" punt formation either, with the very wide line splits and deep punter protection "backs". It looks really "MAC"-ish.

However, since this formation has been around in numbers enough to gauge its effectiveness ( 4 or 5 years), it has become well known among coaches that this formation is extremely effective at limiting punt returns. In other words, the reason teams use it isn't to protect the punter better, it's to keep returners out of the end zone.

Maybe that's why we were fooling around with it.

soonerboomer93
9/29/2008, 04:57 PM
don't think the punter is the issue, think it's the freshman long snapper

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2008, 05:14 PM
don't think the punter is the issue, think it's the freshman long snapper

What's so ironic is his dad was the punter on the 85 MNC team.

soonerboomer93
9/29/2008, 06:16 PM
I'm sure he'll settle down.

I did meet this very nice **** that was at the UT-Chattanooga game there because she knew him.

85sooners
9/29/2008, 06:27 PM
:(

swardboy
9/29/2008, 06:43 PM
/\ What he said

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2008, 10:43 PM
You guys are usually solid on ST...

Actually, I always thought ST was a weakness on Stoops' teams.