PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary BCS Rankings

SteelClip49
9/29/2008, 12:50 PM
http://grjash.netfirms.com/bcs/bcs_rankings.html

Sagarin and his computer nerd bros. are really smoking something with their rankings....seriously...Bama with three #1s??

Oklahoma is on top though...barely.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/29/2008, 12:56 PM
This early you can't be too shocked to see something like this when we haven't played anyone besides TCU. Bama has won 2 road games against top 9 opponents. With Texas, Kansas,Tech, OSU?, and Mizzou in the Big 12 champ, we will get our shot to show we are for real as well. I'm just happy we avoided the upset bug and seem to be playing focused ball. The sign of a GREAT team is the ability to play D(we have done this) and have a balanced offense. We have shown balance and when the run was taken away this weekend, we put it in the air with effectiveness. It's way to early to be worried about BSC rankings. When they come out, we will have already played Texas and Kansas and will hopefully have 2 solid wins on the resume at that point. It's a LONG season still and let's just keep all that in perspective. But well agreed, we get 2 #5's and a #6?! how the hell is that possible?

BuckyB
9/29/2008, 02:32 PM

Sagarin and his computer nerd bros. are really smoking something with their rankings....seriously...Bama with three #1s??

I just don't think this is something we should bat an eye at. At this point in the season, lets enjoy our top ranking and get geeked out about RRS in two weeks. I know I am.

SoonersEnFuego
9/29/2008, 02:36 PM
Colley and Massey have Northwestern ranked above us...Really?....Really?....Northwestern?....Really ?
I bite my thumb at you!

85sooners
9/29/2008, 02:52 PM
:eek:

cvsooner
9/29/2008, 03:34 PM
I'd put Alabama over us right now. Tougher schedule and our special teams aren't. We've played two decent opponents. The real season is just beginning.

fadada1
9/29/2008, 03:43 PM
bama will lose to someone like vandy or miss st.

SelmaBamaFan
9/29/2008, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I'm just happy to be in the conversation again. I'll enjoy it while it lasts I guess. Would much rather be having these talks at the end of the season though, obviously.

Jdog
9/29/2008, 04:05 PM
One poll has vandy at #4

One has Northwestern 2 (and other has NW at 49?)

This is nuts.

rondog79
9/29/2008, 04:42 PM
I'd put Alabama over us right now. Tougher schedule and our special teams aren't. We've played two decent opponents. The real season is just beginning.

realy? lol

Sabanball
9/29/2008, 04:46 PM
realy? lol

Let see you guys beat Texas like we beat UGA and then I think you can rightly argue against what cvsooner said.

The best team you guys have played is the 24th ranked team in America. Other than that, you haven't played anybody yet. Washington absolutely sucks this year and wasn't even ranked.

rondog79
9/29/2008, 05:01 PM
Let see you guys beat Texas like we beat UGA and then I think you can rightly argue against what cvsooner said.

The best team you guys have played is the 24th ranked team in America. Other than that, you haven't played anybody yet. Washington absolutely sucks this year and wasn't even ranked.

the point is bama girl i DO respect bama but at the end of the season you guys will prob have 2 maybe 3 losses and we will one at the most. and by the way georgia was way overrated y do u think they continued to drop in the polls when they were winning?

yermom
9/29/2008, 06:17 PM
bama will lose to someone like vandy or miss st.

they need to figure out a way to beat that cow college down there as well

JLEW1818
9/29/2008, 06:24 PM
How cool would it be if we beat Texas, then both of us win out. Are 2 teams from the same conference allowed to play in the National Championship? Because I know only 2 teams from each conference can get BCS bowls... right?

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2008, 06:30 PM

I think it was Dan Reeves that said you're never as good as you think or as bad as you think. He was talking about games like the Bama/UGA one this weekend and I think it is true in this case. There is no way Bama is 31-0 at halftime better than UGA because nobody is that much better than UGA. It was one game and UGA didn't come ready to play and Bama did. Great job by Bama to take advantage and put the game away before UGA got on track. That's the mark of a good team. But UGA will be back and Bama will face adversity down the road. It wouldn't shock me a bit if the had a rematch in the CCG with a completely different outcome.

JLEW1818
9/29/2008, 06:31 PM
Another example. Oregon State up 21-0 over usc at halftime.

Collier11
9/29/2008, 07:10 PM
realy? lol

At this point yea, they beat two top 10 teams on the road including a natl title fav uga. They have two wins that are better than or equal to our only good win. Also, the polls arent about where you may or may not finish the season, they are about how good you are week to week

Oh yea, it is only week 4, who cares anyway

JLEW1818
9/29/2008, 07:11 PM
At this point yea, they beat two top 10 teams on the road including a natl title fav uga. They have two wins that are better than or equal to our only good win. Oh yea, it is only week 4, who cares anyway

Collier I ain't seen you in a month of Sundays.

Collier11
9/29/2008, 07:41 PM
ive been around, talkin politics lastnite with vet til 130

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/29/2008, 07:53 PM
They really should revoke that Colley guy... I mean seriously that was funny. Was it the 4 point victory over the Powerful Duke that propelled them so high ;)

VA Sooner
9/29/2008, 09:10 PM
Keep us down a bit in the BCS... let Bama have the limelight. It was a very good win for them in a very hostile environment with a hard-hitting Georgia defense that was stymied for the first half.

We've got to work on kick coverage and kick-offs... lots of work to do.

Baylor will give the secondary a nice workout. Brian Jackson looked great and Franks had a few good plays. Holmes was a god Saturday night.

Lots of work to do before Texas.

SelmaBamaFan
9/30/2008, 05:15 AM
Keep us down a bit in the BCS... let Bama have the limelight. It was a very good win for them in a very hostile environment with a hard-hitting Georgia defense that was stymied for the first half.

We've got to work on kick coverage and kick-offs... lots of work to do.

Baylor will give the secondary a nice workout. Brian Jackson looked great and Franks had a few good plays. Holmes was a god Saturday night.

Lots of work to do before Texas.

We do too actually. Maybe if Bama and OU played in the champ. game we could run each other's kickoffs back the entire game. Whoever runs the last one back wins. The score would be something to behold lol.

As for Bama, there are still a ton of questions to answer about this team. What happens to us if a team comes out and punches us in the mouth right off the bat? What if we are two touchdowns behind in the first quarter?

In the past years, we havent been able to handle success or defeat (see Nov last year for an example of not handling defeat) very well. We dont play well when we are favored in a game usually. It seems Bama has the physical tools to beat anyone in the SEC, but do we have the mental tools yet? I will admit they are a lot better than last year, but the season aint over yet either.

The next game I have circled is the Tennessee game. They aren't very good this year, but have enough talent to put it to us if we come to the game over confident. We should be a favorite in this game... probably a 2 TD favorite. Their defense is way better than Arkansas' however, so how will we fare against an unranked that matches up with us decently?

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2008, 05:24 AM
Now, when has SOS been reinstated?

yermom
9/30/2008, 07:39 AM
it never left the computers. it's one of the primary ways to determine rankings, as far as i know.

it's just not an additional column anymore. it was basically being used twice before. the changes they have made over the years took a LOT of the objectivity out IMO and give the Coaches and Harris pollsters too much subjective influence

Scoregasm
9/30/2008, 08:36 AM
They crunch numbers. They obviOUsly don't think.

BoomerSooner07
9/30/2008, 09:28 AM
I think it was Dan Reeves that said you're never as good as you think or as bad as you think. He was talking about games like the Bama/UGA one this weekend and I think it is true in this case. There is no way Bama is 31-0 at halftime better than UGA because nobody is that much better than UGA. It was one game and UGA didn't come ready to play and Bama did. Great job by Bama to take advantage and put the game away before UGA got on track. That's the mark of a good team. But UGA will be back and Bama will face adversity down the road. It wouldn't shock me a bit if the had a rematch in the CCG with a completely different outcome.
Well put. That is why I love college football.

Scott D
9/30/2008, 09:52 AM
Now, when has SOS been reinstated?

it's been a part of various computer rankings, it's no longer it's own separate component in the overall formula. They dumbed it down so much even an Auburn fan can figure it out. Computers 1/3, Coaches Poll 1/3, Harris Poll 1/3.

Big Red Ron
9/30/2008, 10:46 AM

Two that have bama ranked 1 have Vandy ranked 2 and 3 lol.

rondog79
9/30/2008, 01:09 PM
Two that have bama ranked 1 have Vandy ranked 2 and 3 lol.

lol

sooner518
9/30/2008, 01:16 PM
when did Bama beat a 2nd ranked team? last I checked, Clemson is not ranked, especially after losing to Maryland, and are considered a huge disappointment after a much-too-high preseason ranking

Collier11
9/30/2008, 02:38 PM
when did Bama beat a 2nd ranked team? last I checked, Clemson is not ranked, especially after losing to Maryland, and are considered a huge disappointment after a much-too-high preseason ranking

Clemson was top 10 when they beat them

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/30/2008, 02:40 PM
That is like me saying I beat up Chuck Liddell when he was four and I was 23. And then me claiming to be a bad *** for it ;)