PDA

View Full Version : Oh Sheet!

Collier11
9/29/2008, 01:03 AM
Venezuela Set to Develop Nuclear Power With Russia
Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sept. 21, 2008: In this photo released by Miraflores Press Office, Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez, right, and Cuba's President Raul Castro walk together upon Chavez's arrival to Jose Marti airport in Havana.
CARACAS, Venezuela — President Hugo Chavez said Sunday that Russia will help Venezuela develop nuclear energy — a move likely to raise U.S. concerns over increasingly close cooperation between Caracas and Moscow.

Chavez said he accepted an offer from Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin for assistance in building a nuclear reactor.

"Russia is ready to support Venezuela in the development of nuclear energy with peaceful purposes and we already have a commission working on it," Chavez said. "We are interested in developing nuclear energy."

Putin offered Chavez assistance in developing nuclear energy during a meeting in the Russian city of Novo-Ogaryovo last week. The prime minister did not specify what kind of cooperation he could offer Venezuela, but Russia is aggressively promoting itself as a builder of nuclear power plants in developing nations.

Russia has ramped up its cooperation with Venezuela since last month's war with Georgia, which badly damaged Moscow's already strained ties with the West, particularly the United States.

During Chavez's visit to Russia last week, a Russian naval squadron sailed for the Caribbean Sea in preparation for joint exercises with Venezuela later this year — a move that appeared retaliatory after the U.S. sent warships to deliver aid to Georgia.

The deployment is expected to represent the largest Russian naval maneuvers in the Caribbean — and perhaps the Western Hemisphere — since the Cold War.

Chavez says that stronger ties with Russia will help build a multi-polar world — a term the two allies use to describe their shared opposition to what they claim is U.S. global domination.

Since 2005, Venezuela has agreed to buy more than US$4.4 billion worth of weapons from Russia including fighter jets, combat helicopters, and 100,000 Kalashnikov assault rifles. And President Dmitry Medvedev has offered Chavez a loan to purchase additional weapons.

Chavez argues the United States and European Union do not have the right to prevent developing countries from pursuing nuclear technology, and he has strongly defended Iran's nuclear program despite the Western powers' fear that Tehran may be building nuclear weapons.

Before taking Russia up on its offer, Chavez had expressed interest in acquiring a nuclear reactor from Argentina and working with Iran, among other countries, to research nuclear energy.

Veritas
9/29/2008, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I saw that. Whoever our next President is, I don't envy him the position. He's going to have some difficult **** with which to deal.

Vaevictis
9/29/2008, 01:11 AM
Blockade that ****.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 01:32 AM
Blockade that ****.

Do you work hard at being being stupid ?

Vaevictis
9/29/2008, 01:52 AM
Do you work hard at being being stupid ?

The Soviets didn't like us putting missiles in their back yard, so they started putting them in ours (Cuba).

They don't like us putting missile defense in their back yard, so they're putting nuclear technology in ours.

This is a repeat of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Hence, the 'Blockade that ****' comment.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 02:06 AM
The Soviets didn't like us putting missiles in their back yard, so they started putting them in ours (Cuba).

They don't like us putting missile defense in their back yard, so they're putting nuclear technology in ours.

This is a repeat of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Hence, the 'Blockade that ****' comment.

Blockade a Island = Can do
Blockade a Continent = Not gonna work
Hence = do you work hard at being stupid ?
Or does it just come easy to you ?:rolleyes:

Vaevictis
9/29/2008, 02:11 AM
Blockade a Island = Can do
Blockade a Continent = Not gonna work
Hence = do you work hard at being stupid ?
Or does it just come easy to you ?:rolleyes:

Alternative: I was being sarcastic.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 02:18 AM
Alternative: I was being sarcastic.

took you 3 posts to prove it ? :rolleyes:

Vaevictis
9/29/2008, 02:31 AM
took you 3 posts to prove it ? :rolleyes:

It isn't nearly as fun if it you have to spell it out, and I figured you're smart enough to catch on after the last post.

Of course, I realize now that smarts has nothing to do with it. You're just in one of your occasional curmudgeony moods tonight, and you're looking for a reason to take umbrage.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 05:57 AM
It isn't nearly as fun if it you have to spell it out, and I figured you're smart enough to catch on after the last post.

Of course, I realize now that smarts has nothing to do with it. You're just in one of your occasional curmudgeony moods tonight, and you're looking for a reason to take umbrage.

Bah Humbug :cool:

CK Sooner
10/2/2008, 09:48 PM
Nato Treaty Article 5 -

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

:eek: