PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams... a question I'm sure I'm not the first to ask...

goingoneight
9/28/2008, 08:16 PM
While we still are having trouble with major whiffs and OUr blocking on both return and coverage, I have to ask why Matt Moreland only stands like two steps behind the tee when kicking off. Any kickers who know how to answer this one? I just remember Garrett Hartley standing back with the entire coverage team and getting about ten yards of running to boost his kickoffs.

I know all players are different, but man... Moreland seems like at times he has the leg to boot it where we want it, but he often barely gets it to the 15. I know it's not realistic to hit it seven to ten yards into the endzone everytime... but it does seem like a big part of OUr coverage problems are giving them the ball at a great starting point with no hangtime.

Note: I'm not calling for Tress Way or Jimmy Stevens, and I realize the coverage units as a whole are still playing dangerously sloppy. Just seems like as fans, we'd rather kick it OOB everytime with this unit.

wishbonesooner
9/28/2008, 08:27 PM
We sure are having lots of coverage problems. Not sure why, but that's our Achille's Heel.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 08:32 PM
Someone on here was a Kicker and Had some Great Insights to the Kicking game
Was it Ironhorse ?

IronHorseSooner
9/28/2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119959&page=3&highlight=special+teams

BTW, I still can't figure out why Moreland keeps trying to KO like he's kicking FGs and Stevens is still kicking FGs like he's kicking KOs. Technically, Knall is kicking well. Remember he nailed two punts into the coffin corner. You can't ask a punter to do more than that. I'm not there in practice, but I would try having Stevens KO and Moreland do XPs/FGs. Stevens isn't a big guy, but neither are the Grammatica Brothers, and they get touchbacks and deep KOs all of the time. Moreland has shown that he can get the ball up in the air, which is more important on XPs and short FGs, and Stevens can drive through the kicks. I was thinking about something odd, but is Coach Stoops going to throw a big curveball at Mack and trot out Tress Way in couple weeks? Very odd, but Coach has done things like this before (see Trey DiCarlo/ Garrett Hartley situation in 2004).

goingoneight
9/28/2008, 09:19 PM
I'm not really here complaining, I know eventually you can expect OU to improve under Stoops (see OU 2006 defense that goes from horrid to best in the conference). I'm just curious if there's like a science to kicking, or if it's just a skill. Like Jim Traber said... I agree and find it extremely hard to believe that a program like Oklahoma, even with a walk-on would struggle to kick and cover better. Moreland seems like he's a big guy, and has a few kickoffs so far this year that have been as good or better than that of Hartley, but then more often than not we seems to get these short, line drives that favor the opposition.

My best guess is it's like a golf swing... sometimes you hit a beauty, most of the time you just have to make up for wherever it goes. I just wondered why he stands so close to the tee, and if backing up and running at it would help a bit more.

It's more than just a kickoff coverage problem when you talk about areas desperate for improvement. Murray and Iglesias led the NATION in kickoff returns a year ago, and are barely getting anything this year. I'll be interested I guess to see if the coaches address the situation in the presser. Hopefully more than just "we need to get better." Looking for specifics, as to why we've been GREAT in recent years and worrisome so far this year. Are there just young guys struggling wwith blocking and tackling? Is it a technique problem for the skill players?

Sooner_Havok
9/28/2008, 09:34 PM
Did you hear the roar come up from the remaining crowd when that one kick got into the endzone?

St. Louis Sooner
9/28/2008, 10:09 PM
When was the last time we tried a field goal over 40 yards? With all due respect, i'm spooked about field goals too.

Barry's recipe for success in tight games was turnovers and the kicking game ... the team that is better than the other in these will win the ballgame. I think he's right.

possumfat
9/29/2008, 07:08 AM
Bring on Tress "The Foot" Way.............problem solved.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:17 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119959&page=3&highlight=special+teams

BTW, I still can't figure out why Moreland keeps trying to KO like he's kicking FGs and Stevens is still kicking FGs like he's kicking KOs. Technically, Knall is kicking well. Remember he nailed two punts into the coffin corner. You can't ask a punter to do more than that. I'm not there in practice, but I would try having Stevens KO and Moreland do XPs/FGs. Stevens isn't a big guy, but neither are the Grammatica Brothers, and they get touchbacks and deep KOs all of the time. Moreland has shown that he can get the ball up in the air, which is more important on XPs and short FGs, and Stevens can drive through the kicks. I was thinking about something odd, but is Coach Stoops going to throw a big curveball at Mack and trot out Tress Way in couple weeks? Very odd, but Coach has done things like this before (see Trey DiCarlo/ Garrett Hartley situation in 2004).

Spek Now when Ya gonna get to Norman and Fix this shat ?
:P

Partial Qualifier
9/29/2008, 08:22 AM
We sure are having lots of coverage problems. Not sure why, but that's our Achille's Heel.

at least a couple times it seemed our coverage guys were too intent on occupying TCU's blockers, and not intent enough on hawking the ballcarrier

:confused:

stoopified
9/29/2008, 08:43 AM
I know in the past we have always had a number of starters playing on kickoff and punt teams and Iam not hearing starters names on special teams plays as much as in the past.I don't know actually know who is on these units but is it possible that we NEED to use more starters on coverage units?

Collier11
9/29/2008, 08:51 AM
Bring on Tress "The Foot" Way.............problem solved.

I bet Stoops hasnt weighed that option :rolleyes:

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2008, 12:55 PM
Spek Now when Ya gonna get to Norman and Fix this shat ?
:P

I start leave on Friday and it goes thru the 14th. Is that good enough?:P :D

snp
9/29/2008, 01:27 PM
Man I miss Lewis Baker and Allen Patrick. Those guys kicked *** on ST.

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2008, 05:06 PM
Man I miss Lewis Baker and Allen Patrick. Those guys kicked *** on ST.

And Gute, too!!