PDA

View Full Version : illegal participation penalty

BermudaSooner
9/28/2008, 04:59 PM
Why did the refs stop the game on both of TCU's 12 men on the field penalties? Why don't we get to run the play, and decide whether we want the play or the penalty?

Also, the 2 backs from TCU both went forward and then in motion on one of the plays. Everyone in my section thought that was a penalty--were we wrong?

Dan Thompson
9/28/2008, 05:07 PM
How about the hit on Halzle on the sideline when his knee was on the ground?

Should have been a late hit penalty on that. I did not see him in the game after that.

MissouriSooner
9/28/2008, 10:44 PM
Why did the refs stop the game on both of TCU's 12 men on the field penalties? Why don't we get to run the play, and decide whether we want the play or the penalty?

Also, the 2 backs from TCU both went forward and then in motion on one of the plays. Everyone in my section thought that was a penalty--were we wrong?

12 men on the field is a dead ball foul if the refs catch it prior to the snap. If they catch it after the play, the other team has the option to take the penalty or not. Most usually is caught post-snap on a PAT.

sooner59
9/28/2008, 10:58 PM
How about the hit on Halzle on the sideline when his knee was on the ground?

Should have been a late hit penalty on that. I did not see him in the game after that.

So did Landry Jones play? I left with 3 min. left to try to beat traffic. I hope we didn't burn a redshirt. Either way Jones could redshirt next year, but that would be a terrible way to burn a redshirt, I would almost rather put Sam back in...almost (don't want him unnecessarily hurt).

Big D Sooner
9/29/2008, 12:16 AM

2 players can go in motion at the same time as long as they both get set again for at least 1 second prior to the snap. The TCU players were both set before the snap, hence no penalty.

The Halzle play was pretty close but his knee had just touched the ground prior to the hit. Honestly, I don't think he was down long enough to call a penalty because the defensive player had started his tackling motion before Halzle's knee touched down.

Boomer.....
9/29/2008, 07:48 AM
So did Landry Jones play? I left with 3 min. left to try to beat traffic. I hope we didn't burn a redshirt. Either way Jones could redshirt next year, but that would be a terrible way to burn a redshirt, I would almost rather put Sam back in...almost (don't want him unnecessarily hurt).

Bradford went back in at the end of the game to take a knee.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 08:04 AM

Hell No
Sam came back in and took the Knee :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 08:07 AM
2 players can go in motion at the same time as long as they both get set again for at least 1 second prior to the snap. The TCU players were both set before the snap, hence no penalty.

The Halzle play was pretty close but his knee had just touched the ground prior to the hit. Honestly, I don't think he was down long enough to call a penalty because the defensive player had started his tackling motion before Halzle's knee touched down.

Agree , I wanted a Penalty But its hard to stop a Player once hes Launched
It was a clean hit . a Hard Hit but clean IMHO

MrJimBeam
9/29/2008, 08:35 AM

Everyone in my section was going nuts over this also. I thought it amusing that they thought 8 refs missed the phantom penalty of two players moving at once.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/29/2008, 12:23 PM
I got one of those once from 2 girls in my apartment one night in college

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/29/2008, 12:30 PM
Motion is when the player is moving at the snap. Only allowed 1 of these.

A shift is moving to a new position then resetting for 1 second. You can have countless shifts. Just get reset with at least 7 on the line of scrimmage.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2008, 12:33 PM
Agree , I wanted a Penalty But its hard to stop a Player once hes Launched
It was a clean hit . a Hard Hit but clean IMHO

I watched the replay a couple of times and it was a clean hit. It was a bad decision by Joey - I think he was trying to stay in bounds to keep the clock running. Joey could have step out of bounds much sooner, or better yet, thrown the ball away since he was way out of the pocket. I'd much rather give the TCU offense another 35 seconds in a game that is already decided than allow one of my QBs to take a hit like that. Sam would have never taken that hit unless the game was on the line.

KingBarry
9/29/2008, 01:36 PM
On the Halzle hit, yeah, watching it (on TV) at full speed, it looked outrageous.

Slowed down, it was a good hit.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 01:45 PM
Any word on Halzle? I assume he had a concussion and didn't return to the game because of that...

I liked how Patterson got caught substituting people multiple times...Good discussion by Fox people on Bradford game management and getting TCU in a position to be called for penalties. We must have seen something on film.

What's with the upside down hook 'em sign. At first I thought it was upside down horn toady thingy, but then figured out most people probably didn't know they had a hand signal thingy.

Rawr!

Big D Sooner
9/30/2008, 09:56 AM
Motion is when the player is moving at the snap. Only allowed 1 of these.

A shift is moving to a new position then resetting for 1 second. You can have countless shifts. Just get reset with at least 7 on the line of scrimmage.

If you watch the play again, both TCU players thought they were supposed to be the motion man so both went in motion. So, while usually when you PLAN to go from one formation to another by moving more than one person is called a shift, they were actually going in motion.

FroggyStyle22
9/30/2008, 10:34 AM
I liked how Patterson got caught substituting people multiple times...Good discussion by Fox people on Bradford game management and getting TCU in a position to be called for penalties. We must have seen something on film.

Actually I think we were just trying to play with 12 men. We needed an extra DB back there. Our secondary won't be able to sit for a week they had their @sses burned so bad.

Big D Sooner
9/30/2008, 12:38 PM
Actually I think we were just trying to play with 12 men. We needed an extra DB back there. Our secondary won't be able to sit for a week they had their @sses burned so bad.

Colt McCoy had a meeting with Mack after the game Saturday and he won't be able to sit down for a week. Different reason though. I don't think burned is the right word for that.

Big D Sooner
9/30/2008, 12:46 PM
Just in case anyone decided to take this too seriously, I am joking.