PDA

View Full Version : Question

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 01:10 PM
Does anybody else think that we are still holding some things back on offense? If so, is this typical of us ? Just waiting for the "big game" to use some different things.

Curly Bill
9/28/2008, 01:13 PM
Yes, we've won easily so far, so I'm sure there are some things we've held back.

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 01:22 PM
Think Murray will take any direct snaps this year? Or how bout some TE arounds??

Curly Bill
9/28/2008, 01:28 PM
Think Murray will take any direct snaps this year? Or how bout some TE arounds??

Too creative for us, er...I mean for Bob & KW. Bob's mantra is we just have to execute, we don't have to outsmart anyone. That usually works by the way, but seems there have been a few games the past few years where something a little outside the box would have been welcome.

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 01:30 PM
Does Bob have a good idea of what play we are about to run.... How does that all work./?? I'm sure he can trump in with at new play... ?

Curly Bill
9/28/2008, 01:33 PM
Does Bob have a good idea of what play we are about to run.... How does that all work./?? I'm sure he can trump in with at new play... ?

I'm sure Bob gives KW a general idea of what he'd like to see us be able to do for the upcoming game, KW develops the plan and I'm sure Bob signs off on it, makes suggestions and so on until the plan is finalized. Assuredly Bob can overrided any play call during the game that he wants to.

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 01:34 PM
So is the play called down to a backup QB ?? OR to Josh, then signaled in?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/28/2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2420895#post2420895

yermom
9/28/2008, 01:37 PM
Too creative for us, er...I mean for Bob & KW. Bob's mantra is we just have to execute, we don't have to outsmart anyone. That usually works by the way, but seems there have been a few games the past few years where something a little outside the box would have been welcome.

that only gets you so far

i'm sure there are wrinkles that ill show up later

i loved how many times we burned TCU last night with the no-huddle catching them with illegal subs, and then catching them offsides in similar fashion

Curly Bill
9/28/2008, 01:38 PM

Beats me???

Curly Bill
9/28/2008, 01:41 PM
that only gets you so far

i'm sure there are wrinkles that ill show up later

i loved how many times we burned TCU last night with the no-huddle catching them with illegal subs, and then catching them offsides in similar fashion

Exactly, that was cool.

We usually have superior talent to our opponents so we think: just execute and we win. That works well most of the time, but we've seen what happens the past few years when we play someone with similar talent and not only are they close in talent, but they've outplanned us.

Charla
9/28/2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah we forgot to bring our running game last night. Maybe it is a secret

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 03:02 PM
TCU was focused on the run, and we killed them in the air.

OUthunder
9/28/2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah we forgot to bring our running game last night. Maybe it is a secret

That sometimes happens when you face 8 man fronts and run blitzes on 3 out of every 4 plays.:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
9/28/2008, 03:06 PM
I think we are going to destroy the horn secondary.

GottaHavePride
9/28/2008, 03:11 PM
I think Colt McCoy is getting too accustomed to doing his Vince Young impersonation against slow defenses.

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2008, 04:25 PM
Hopefully we are holding back a couple of really good plays for the National Championship game. :)

setem
9/28/2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think the direct snaps to Murray last year were just for the season. I am sure we will see him back there in the next couple of weeks.

I know that we did not have any big runs last night but they chose not use the run game much due to the box being loaded. We had a great game plan last night we looked good.

We are not in trouble because our backs had a hard time against 8 and 9 guys being in front of them.

SCOUT
9/28/2008, 04:49 PM
This question comes up almost every year. The game that comes to my mind was that smoke draw against texas where Q ran for a couple hundred yards and 72 touchdowns.
It makes me happy. :)

MissouriSooner
9/28/2008, 10:55 PM

All offensive coaches hear the same stuff in their headsets, same for defensive; Bob hears both offensive and defensive. Regarding play calling, with the no-huddle, Kevin Wilson sees how the defense is aligned, then calls the play to the sidelines. Gundy and Heupel are standing close enough to each other on the sideline to easily be seen by Sam. Both Gundy and Heupel are signaling to Sam; one is a decoy, and the other has the actual play call. As someone earlier said, Bob could override the call, but I doubt that happens very often, if ever. If he had a problem with an offensive play call, he'd be more likely to call a timeout than to insert his own call. Looks like the system is working well so far.

JLEW1818
9/29/2008, 12:28 AM
Thanks a lot!

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 09:01 AM
Nothing is held back. For ten years we have been waiting for that magical new wrinkle in the offense to appear to smoke everyone, esp. Texas. Never happened. we don't have that magic look or play. Doesn't exist. What you have seen is what we have...

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 09:02 AM
I think Colt McCoy is getting too accustomed to doing his Vince Young impersonation against slow defenses.

Mrs. THA and I were discussing the same thing about how ole yellow teeth is going to ruin Colt. He has no business trying to run and if he does that in our game, I doubt if he makes it into the 2nd half...

BornandBred
9/29/2008, 10:44 AM
I think the flaccid running game we saw at TCU was an attempt to restrict the wrinkles others saw of our O. I will note that I haven't seen the reverses we usually like to call every year. I'd expect at least one of those against UT. Also, there haven't been many screens run, that I remember. I was happy to see the WR screen where Manny scored (Cooper can move for a big boy). I think it'll open up quite a bit soon enough.

badger
9/29/2008, 10:46 AM
Does anybody else think that we are still holding some things back on offense? If so, is this typical of us ? Just waiting for the "big game" to use some different things.

Yes. The FSN announcers, in their brilliant wisdom, credited TCU for holding OU's offense back in the second half, but the fact of the matter is that you don't go from scoring in a minute's drive to not scoring period. We changed up the gameplan in the second to just running down the clock.

We are definitely holding back. We will definitely hold back versus Baylor. Look for uber running plays this coming week.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/29/2008, 12:47 PM
I think we'll see a few wrinkles down the road, nothing crazy but wrinkles none the less. Did we not run a few trick plays last year with I believe it was Juaquin throwing the ball down to Malcolm? I remember seeing a few last year and I expect a few but not many in the future. Plus, I loved what I saw with Sam snapping the ball quickly to catch TCU with 12 men. I think they saw he had the opportunity for this a few times earlier in the year and are finally using it to our advantage. Look for this a lot more in the future. i see Sam drawing at least 10 more penalties like this before the end of the regular season.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2008, 02:15 PM
I think there are subtle wrinkles for every game in the game plan on offense and defense. Many of them stay on the drawing board if we get a big lead. They may just be a coverage or a blocking scheme and not some trick play.

I'm not a huge fan of the direct snap to the tailback. It worked well for Arkie because McFadden could really run the option read and he was a legitimate threat to pass. Other teams that try it are predictable and just run the ball. The only advantage left is the extra blocker instead of real QB, but the D can counter by moving up the safeties if there is not pass threat. I haven't seen any indication that DM can pass or read the option.

BuckyB
9/29/2008, 02:34 PM

I think we may be in for a pleasant surprise against Texas. I can see Murray having a breakout game. He's already shown he comes to play in the RRS.