PDA

View Full Version : This is precisely why I stopped doing this stuff...

Okla-homey
9/28/2008, 10:04 AM
ugh.

CHECOTAH — The Confederates retreated across a field littered with corpses as Union forces fired on them through gun smoke. When the rebels fell farther back and the fighting had moved to another field across a stream, the casualties of war began rising from the dead.

This re-enactment of the Battle of Honey Springs was the 21st that the Oklahoma Historical Society has held since the 125th anniversary of the battle in 1988. About 600 re-enactors and 400 spectators met Saturday at the Honey Springs Battlefield near Checotah to remember and commemorate the events of July 17, 1863.

For some, the re-enactment serves an educational purpose. Blane Ward, 14, of Pocola, has been to several re-enactments with his dad. "My dad was wanting me to do it because he thinks it's something important I should learn," Ward said.

Others came to pay homage to those who fought at Honey Springs more than a century ago.

Curtis Ogle, 28, of Antlers, portrays a lieutenant in the Confederate Army.

"If you look around, you just get a feel for this ground. If you feel the energy, you know it's hallowed ground," he said.

Ogle, who has been to more than 250 re-enactments and identifies himself as a military veteran of the Confederate States Army, takes his role in the re-enactment seriously. [which is frankly...whacked]

"We look at it as the Confederate Army never really surrendered. It just went into submission," said Ogle, sporting the full Confederate regalia down to an undershirt stained with the dirt and sweat of battle. [again, this ya-hoo is advancing his warped version of history to folks who may never take the time to learn the truth]

At the Battle of Honey Springs, a regiment of African-American soldiers, the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, fought with particularly distinguished valor. For Sharon Fisher, of Oklahoma City, the re-enactment is about remembering the bravery of that unit, the first of its kind in the Union Army.

"This is a pretty historical event in terms of African-American soldiers in the Civil War. We like to honor them," said Fisher, whose husband portrays a soldier in the 1st Kansas Colored Infantry. "We celebrate our history and this is just a part of that celebration."

Over the weekend, the re-enactors camp out at the battleground in white tents arranged as a military encampment, cooking over fires and using period-appropriate tools.

Jan Sanders, curator of education with the Oklahoma Historical Society, portrays a civilian who came out to watch the battle.

"It gives the public a feel of what the Civil War was like," she said. [what she should have said is; "it gives the public a sense of what the Civil War was like if the combatants had brought along their families, slept in wall tents on cots, had air mattresses, coolers, ice, fried chicken from the Checotah Wal-Marts, Marlboro's and Bud Light"]

Sanders said people came from throughout Oklahoma and surrounding states to take part in the re-enactment.

Sunday, the group will re-enact the Battle of Greenleaf Prairie at the same site, beginning at 1:30 p.m.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080928_12_A11_Agunis27732 0

Preservation Parcels
9/28/2008, 11:45 AM
Truth be told, Homey, I don't think you ever did this kind of yahoo stuff. What you did was to help raise awareness and money to help preserve some very important land and history, and you did it first class all the way. Good on you!

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:22 PM
Truth be told, Homey, I don't think you ever did this kind of yahoo stuff. What you did was to help raise awareness and money to help preserve some very important land and history, and you did it first class all the way. Good on you!

Quit blowing smoke up his ***. There's nothing "first class" about his approach. He enjoys insulting people's beliefs when they don't perfectly align with his own.

Okla-homey
9/28/2008, 02:53 PM
Quit blowing smoke up his ***. There's nothing "first class" about his approach. He enjoys insulting people's beliefs when they don't perfectly align with his own.

The d00d quoted in the article; 1) considers himself a Confederate veteran, and; 2) claims Confederate forces did not surrender to the forces of the United States. How, may I ask, are these claims in any way accurate?

Even if this so-called Confederate veteran were seven years old in 1865, and served as a cabin boy aboard CSS Arkansas, he'd be 150 years old today. Do you honestly believe a person who makes such a claim is somehow honoring the legacy of men who fought valiantly under horrible conditions but eventually laid down their arms to regain their status as loyal Americans?

Please cite any Confederate or state military combat unit that was not formally surrendered by the end of 1865. You know, in order to correct my un-perfectly aligned and errant beliefs.

royalfan5
9/28/2008, 03:10 PM
I wonder if I could find anybody who would want to become a Seven Weeks War re-enactor with me.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 03:20 PM
I wonder if I could find anybody who would want to become a Seven Weeks War re-enactor with me.

I wanta be the Reb . And use real Bullets ok ?

royalfan5
9/28/2008, 03:22 PM
I wanta be the Reb . And use real Bullets ok ?

There weren't any Reb's in the Seven Weeks War. You could be an Austrian though.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 03:24 PM
There weren't any Reb's in the Seven Weeks War. You could be an Austrian though.

Do i get Combat pay ?

royalfan5
9/28/2008, 04:30 PM
Do i get Combat pay ?

Only in booze.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 04:34 PM
Only in booze.

Well that will be ok then :)

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 04:40 PM
Mosby didn't formally surrender, for one.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/28/2008, 04:43 PM
My captain is directly related to that guy.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 04:52 PM

But Lee, Ya know the HMFIC of the Souths Army ?
He did :P

Okla-homey
9/28/2008, 05:20 PM

pshaw. Mosby disbanded his Rangers, became a Republican and later served ably in the Grant administration despite death threats. IOW, no "bitter-ender."

Sooner04
9/28/2008, 06:02 PM
You guys lost. Get over it. If your own guys hadn't picked off your best General at dusk you might've had a chance.

StoopTroup
9/28/2008, 06:46 PM
Homey...

If you want to march on Waco this weekend...

Well....I wasn't gonna go...but now...I'm thinking SicEm Koresh needs a little reminder as to who's in charge. :D ;)

Can I shoot a cannon?

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 07:13 PM
Homey...

Well....I wasn't gonna go...but now...I'm thinking SicEm Koresh needs a little reminder as to who's in charge. :D ;)

Can I shoot a cannon?

Can I do the Rebel Yell ?
Oh wait wrong side :D

FroggyStyle22
9/28/2008, 11:15 PM
Can I do the Rebel Yell ?

Only if you also cry more, more, more!

Okla-homey
9/29/2008, 05:14 AM
Homey...

Can I shoot a cannon?

Not to worry. He's just a harmless perpetual undergrad. We've all encountered them. They just hang around colleges because they don't want to actually work and/or don't have the required GPA for graduation.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 06:05 AM
Not to worry. He's just a harmless perpetual undergrad. We've all encountered them. They just hang around colleges because they don't want to actually work and/or don't have the required GPA for graduation.

Homester
http://homeemergency.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/burn3.jpg
sicem :eek: