PDA

View Full Version : No Boomer Sooner after TDs anymore???

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2008, 08:38 AM
I thought it was strange that The Pride was not playing Boomer Sooner after we scored touchdowns.

Is this some new tradition the AD has ginned up??

Any Pride folks care to explain???

Rogue
9/28/2008, 08:41 AM
This would be a travesty.

fadada1
9/28/2008, 08:44 AM
i bet it has something to do with those stinkin' horsepigs.

don't mess with tradition. next thing you know we'll be claiming to sell out of season tickets, beating multiple 1AA teams, and having a neurotic oil man donating $200 million to paint an erector set.

OUTrumpet
9/28/2008, 08:44 AM
What where they playing instead? Or did they just simply not play?

Caught em playing OK Oklahoma after field goals, but that is all I could make out on TV.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2008, 08:50 AM
The sound system played something instead. Like a bit from some song from the 80s.

It was Zombie Nation. Something one would hear at a AFL2 game.

What a disgrace.

GrapevineSooner
9/28/2008, 09:26 AM
This would be a travesty.

Not just that.

It would be a traveshamockery!!!

Sooner24
9/28/2008, 09:31 AM
The yellow shirted nazis wouldn't let them take their instruments in the stadium because they weren't clear plastic.

badger
9/28/2008, 09:39 AM
I would really like to hear an explanation on this. I am also thinking of writing a letter to Joe C to express my disappointment. I would encourage you all to do the same.

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe it was too hot for them to play

outuba
9/28/2008, 09:54 AM
We had our horns up ready to play but the Drum Major said the people talking to him over the headset told us not to play. At the end of the post-game concert, Mr. Britt addressed it because all of the upperclassmen were pissed and he was concerned too. He said he is going to ask the department in charge why something different was done at this game.

Don't worry. The Pride wasn't in charge of that decision and was just as upset as all of you are/were.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2008, 09:55 AM
I would really like to hear an explanation on this. I am also thinking of writing a letter to Joe C to express my disappointment. I would encourage you all to do the same.

I will.

I just don't understand what the AD's obsession is with F'n with OUr traditions and such.

DallasSooner87
9/28/2008, 09:56 AM
Ok what Mr Britt told us was the stadium guys were going to try and play that Zombie Nation song after big plays. Turns out the big plays are TDs. He said they were caught off guard at it and everyone in the band I talked too, and myself, were pretty pissed off. The directors said the were going to talk to whoever was in charge of that, and I hope we are playing Boomer over and over when we play KU for Homecoming. Other than that we really have no idea what is going on.

OklahomaTuba
9/28/2008, 09:58 AM
We had our horns up ready to play but the Drum Major said the people talking to him over the headset told us not to play.

Who ever was on the other end of that head set should be fired.

DeadSolidPerfect
9/28/2008, 10:00 AM
He said he is going to ask the department in charge why something different was done at this game.

Who the hell is running this joke of a department, the U.S. congress?.

PrideTrombone
9/28/2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I've been on the band end of the headset once, for a men's bball game. They dictate EVERYTHING to you, down to the second. Literally, there would be a timeout and they'd say "OK, we've got 25 seconds for this Carl's Jr. promo, 15 seconds for something else, then you can play." So if the crowd gets going, whatever they've got scripted for that moment can completely kill the crowd. Joe C excels at this.

SoonerBorn
9/28/2008, 10:13 AM
Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9t8eCm470) what they were hoping would happen?

DallasSooner87
9/28/2008, 10:17 AM
To tell the truth it reminded me of the football game in stoolwater a couple of years ago. That ladies and gents is not a good thing.

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2008, 10:19 AM
I LOATHE that ZN song. aggy has been playing it for years in their half-full toilet bowl.

MichiganSooner
9/28/2008, 10:45 AM
Reminds me of Stoolwater Aggie game.

soonerboomer93
9/28/2008, 10:47 AM
you've got to be kidding me?

i wish the band woulda nutted up, told headset guy to **** off, and played boomer sooner

badger
9/28/2008, 10:51 AM
Well, shouldn't be a problem at the upcoming games, which are both away (what, are they have OU reps hold up speakers to play the lame TD song and motion to the band not to play anything until its over?).

However, upon return to Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, this needs to get changed back.

Penguin
9/28/2008, 11:32 AM
Is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT9t8eCm470) what they were hoping would happen?

Oh.....my.....God.

That garbage might be fine for Penn State, but not Oklahoma. :mad:

MichiganSooner
9/28/2008, 11:43 AM
I sent emails to the Atletic Deparment and Dr. Boren. OUr band is the Pride not some rock band from the 80's or any other era.

oumartin
9/28/2008, 11:52 AM
I blame Bob Stoops, remember some years back he said he got tired of the song sometimes and just think how many times per game its been played. ;)

Talk about a great way to get the fans out of a game and take away the home field advantage. Joe C. is a killjoy

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2008, 01:13 PM
Ok what Mr Britt told us was the stadium guys were going to try and play that Zombie Nation song after big plays. Turns out the big plays are TDs. He said they were caught off guard at it and everyone in the band I talked too, and myself, were pretty pissed off. The directors said the were going to talk to whoever was in charge of that, and I hope we are playing Boomer over and over when we play KU for Homecoming. Other than that we really have no idea what is going on.

This is total BS; whoever came up with this idea should be fired

bri
9/28/2008, 01:21 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2896056008_20c81b1faa_o.jpg

GottaHavePride
9/28/2008, 01:51 PM

i wish the band woulda nutted up, told headset guy to **** off, and played boomer sooner

Heh. That's why they never put me in charge, because that's EXACTLY what I would have done.

Oh, and I would have told the band "HEY! Play loud enough to drown out this ****!"

StormySooner-IN
9/28/2008, 02:05 PM
Its my fault peoples.

My dad the other day said "Why does everyone always play that stupid song after TDs"(while were watching a random game)
me:"I don't know, but I've never heard OU do it" :D

We go to the game.......Touchdown!.....<insert stupid song here>

"WTF happened to 'Boomer Sooner?"

So yea.....

soonerboomer93
9/28/2008, 02:17 PM
Heh. That's why they never put me in charge, because that's EXACTLY what I would have done.

Oh, and I would have told the band "HEY! Play loud enough to drown out this ****!"

GHP for pride director nao!

kplxthx

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 02:22 PM
It's a great day to be a Sooner! Fire up for #1 rated excellence!

We have elected to not play Boomer Sooner anymore, because it promotes competition. We don't want our respected opponents to think that we want them to lose! That wouldn't show good sportsmanship! We're going to be the bigger men (and women) and show our Texan compatriates that we want them to win as much as we want ourselves to win. There are no losers!

And remember, when you argue with an idiot he's doing the same thing.

BOOOMMMMMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Brian A. Britt
Director of Bands
The University of Oklahoma

badger
9/28/2008, 02:29 PM
If the football team is sick of Boomer Sooner, we could limit it to truly awesome moments or when the crowd is especially needed. A few years ago the band seemed to play Boomer and nothing but Boomer and I heard from some trainers that the players were somwhat annoyed.

Now that the band has actually worked up some other stand tunes other than Boomer Sooner like Crazy Train and Mortal Kombat and a revised Boomer for first downs, this should not be a problem anymore. A few years ago, the additional stand tunes were St. Elmo's and a very awful version of "We Will Rock You."

I think the directors and student leadership are quite capable of limiting Boomer Sooner if that's the goal. However... TOUCHDOWNS! There is no better time to play the school song! What if Michigan stopped playing "The Victors" after td's, or Notre Dame eliminated their "Victory March" from post-scoring celebrations? FAN REVOLT.

:) So anyway, with my evil smile here, if there is no Boomer Sooner after touchdowns at the next home game, we have oranges and we know how to throw them. :)

:mad: so bring Boomer back or get pelted by an orange! :mad:

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 02:33 PM
True, but playing a wide range of musical selections with beautiful, controlled, characteristic tones will impress my music education peers.
Remember, in music, the silences are louder than the notes.

Brian A. Britt
Director of Bands

badger
9/28/2008, 02:38 PM
True, but playing a wide range of musical selections with beautiful, controlled, characteristic tones will impress my music education peers.

Brian A. Britt
Director of Bands

Howdy, Mr. Britt. I used to have a guest conductor back during some summer musical excursion that was saying that "It is harder to not play than to play" when referring to some techical little song with a lot of rests and oddly placed notes.

Unfortunately, this message never sunk in, much like the karate instructor in The Simpsons that said that they were learning to not use karate.

Bart: Hello, I already know how NOT to do karate. When do we break boards?
Instructor: When you think you are ready.

OUstud
9/28/2008, 02:40 PM
What made me mad was no one standing next to me in the SS seemed to notice. It really pissed me off. Like someone said earlier, it's like a damn af2 game. :mad: I hope they play Boomer Sooner over and over against KU, and if it comes down to it I hope they drown out that aggylicious ZN song.

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 02:53 PM
I'm going to let you all in on a little secret.

My ultimate goal is to completely abolish music-playing in the Pride alltogether. I've been systematically removing volume every year since 2004. The Pride of Oklahoma eventually will instead think positive thoughts about both teams in the manner of my favorite spiritual power-up technique, "The Secret." Good things come to those who believe!

Brian A. Britt
Practitioner of "The Secret"

Penguin
9/28/2008, 02:59 PM
The team was getting tired of Boomer Sooner? :rolleyes:

What are they going to do? Stop scoring points? Gimme a break!

badger
9/28/2008, 03:00 PM

No disrespect, sir, but if you just told all of us, then can it really be considered a secret? Also, I must also let you in on a "secret" of my own - the people you've appointed to determine overall Pride volume have not been accurately gauging the band noise level, but rather, have been been moving to seating areas where it would be difficult to gauge volume comparatively, like the flagpole southeast corner, or the upper deck directly behind the band, or Stillwater (yes, I'm afraid one of our designated volume gaugers is actually an OSU fan, who was determined to see the OSU game yesterday and had no television watching options and skipped his duty yesterday).

Sorry, I just felt you deserved to know.

badger
9/28/2008, 03:03 PM

Oh, and el penguino, the trainer I heard this from was actually just being a mean jock (who was trying to imbed one of my former college roommates, it was actually rather pathetic) when I mentioned membership in a student group that travels with the football team. That's when he brought up the fact that the team was sick of hearing nothing but that song after anything that happened. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but odds are, the entire team wasn't sick of it, just a select few. Can't please everyone.

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 03:07 PM
:confused:

Sounds like Badger has already been "Secreted" by my music ed cronies.

Brian A. Britt
Cranial Usurper

Penguin
9/28/2008, 03:14 PM
Oh, and el penguino, the trainer I heard this from was actually just being a mean jock (who was trying to imbed one of my former college roommates, it was actually rather pathetic) when I mentioned membership in a student group that travels with the football team. That's when he brought up the fact that the team was sick of hearing nothing but that song after anything that happened. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but odds are, the entire team wasn't sick of it, just a select few. Can't please everyone.

Oh. I was thinking this was going to be a segment on College Gameday soon. "Bob Stoops has told his team to stop scoring because he is tired that damn fight song!" :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/bob.gif What's wrong with silent meditation and personal reflection after a touchdown?

MamaMia
9/28/2008, 03:26 PM
It was a disgrace of shocking proportion, and whomever was responsible should have their eyes poked out with a drumstick. :mad:

starclassic tama
9/28/2008, 03:33 PM
this thread is a trainwreck

we aren't usc or miami.

we are the bluest of the blue blood college football.

play the goddamned fight song

badger
9/28/2008, 03:36 PM
If they don't bring back Boomer following TD's, the next step by Joe C. is DJ Necktie at football games.

Protest now before it's too late.

DallasSooner87
9/28/2008, 03:37 PM

If anyone hits the guy in the sound booth, or the guy who tell us what to do, with an orange I will buy them a steak dinner.

badger
9/28/2008, 03:46 PM
If anyone hits the guy in the sound booth, or the guy who tell us what to do, with an orange I will buy them a steak dinner.

If you would like to help, please take some window chalk and draw in a bullseye so we know where to aim.

However, Joe C. on the sideline would probably be an easier moving target, even if it results in permabanning from Memorial Stadium if you get caught.

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 03:51 PM
Anyone but me. ( ;) )

Brian A. Britt
Orange Avoider and Gloom Spreader
Pride of Oklahoma

tulsaoilerfan
9/28/2008, 04:21 PM
what's next? Black jerseys at home?

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2008, 05:32 PM
Black jerseys, yes... but only if they contain the image of whichever pop celebrity is the most popular during that week. A nod to the celebrity's favorite leftist charity organization will be printed on the back. Naturally, there is money in this for the university (which is what the university craves the most) and the celebrity gets more attention drawn to himself or herself (which is what the celebrity craves the most).

Tradition is dying in college football. Pop culture is killing it. And there is nothing you can do about it.

If you play in the band, enjoy it while you can. Marching bands are expensive; dj's are cheap. You can be replaced and don't think it will never happen.

Penguin
9/28/2008, 05:53 PM
I want more halftime shows with nudity.

Sooner04
9/28/2008, 05:59 PM
At the Washington game, the Husky players were blocking our path back into the tunnel at halftime. So, our players go over to our crowd and band and start motioning for noise. The drum major sees this and immediately calls for Boomer Sooner. The band delivers.

From the 40-yard-line on the opposite side of the field, hear comes Brian Britt, black suit and all. He's in a dead sprint. He gets there and immediately cuts the band off and chews out the drum major. Why? Because Washington's band is about to play, and it's not our turn.

Flying Scotsman
9/28/2008, 06:49 PM
I am confused....Has the Sooner Nation turned into a "Zombie" Nation? Are zombies good football players?

....just showing my ignorance....not stupidity....

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 06:50 PM
From the 40-yard-line on the opposite side of the field, hear comes Brian Britt, black suit and all. He's in a dead sprint. He gets there and immediately cuts the band off and chews out the drum major. Why? Because Washington's band is about to play, and it's not our turn.

It would be rude of us to try to give our team an advantage over our opponents. What about Washington's self-esteem?

Brian A. Britt
"HATE"

mellopride
9/28/2008, 08:55 PM
At the Washington game... Why? Because Washington's band is about to play, and it's not our turn.

That is a lie Sir. I, myself, am not happy with some things about Pride, but to make up a story for fuel to a fire is wrong.

Sooner04
9/28/2008, 09:10 PM
That is a lie Sir. I, myself, am not happy with some things about Pride, but to make up a story for fuel to a fire is wrong.
He was screaming at the drum major and pointing that it wasn't our turn to play! I was right there! He may have given some BS reason later, but he was chewing out the drum major and those were the words out of his mouth at that very moment.

froneal
9/28/2008, 09:18 PM
It would be rude of us to try to give our team an advantage over our opponents. What about Washington's self-esteem?

Brian A. Britt
"HATE"

I agree, Mr. Britt. After all, where would we be as a university and as a football program if we didn't comply with the wishes of our opponents? I think you said it best two years ago at rehearsal: "Texas does NOT suck. They are the number two team in the country." After that, we weren't allowed to say the words "Texas s*cks" in uniform. I shudder to think of the shock and disgust our alumni would feel if they were to hear those hateful and irrational words coming from an organization that represents the spirit of Sooner Nation. You are truly a blessing to our university's band program and totally deserve the $99,000/year you make!

Sincerely and with great respect,

froneal
Brian A. Britt Fan Club President

mellopride
9/28/2008, 09:23 PM
He was screaming at the drum major and pointing that it wasn't our turn to play! I was right there! He may have given some BS reason later, but he was chewing out the drum major and those were the words out of his mouth at that very moment.

I know he was yelling at Jason, but it wasn't for us to let Washington's Band. We were told to stop playing after a certain time left in the half.

badger
9/28/2008, 09:26 PM
Mello, man, I'm still uncertain as to what you say is a "lie." Would you please clarify? It's a pretty strong assertion to say that someone is being untruthful.

mellopride
9/28/2008, 09:27 PM
Mello, man, I'm still uncertain as to what you say is a "lie." Would you please clarify? It's a pretty strong assertion to say that someone is being untruthful.

He's quote Britt as saying stop playing so we can let the Washington band play. I find it offensive to put words into someone's mouth. Sorry.

badger
9/28/2008, 09:30 PM
"Texas does NOT suck. They are the number two team in the country."

I missed that, but wow, did I hear about it from everyone that heard it afterward. The things I didn't miss was the yelling about holding up five fingers in 2005 (as in, "Five in a row") before the game at the tunnel. Looking back on it, that would have looked rather silly if people caught pics of it given the final score.

mellopride
9/28/2008, 09:32 PM
I missed that, but wow, did I hear about it from everyone that heard it afterward. The things I didn't miss was the yelling about holding up five fingers in 2005 (as in, "Five in a row") before the game at the tunnel. Looking back on it, that would have looked rather silly if people caught pics of it given the final score.

Didn't we win that game?

badger
9/28/2008, 09:36 PM
Didn't we win that game?

:O Oh dear... we don't remember college football too well, do we? I refuse to recall what happened that game or that season, as both answers are good for them and not exactly good for us.

mellopride
9/28/2008, 09:42 PM
:O Oh dear... we don't remember college football too well, do we? I refuse to recall what happened that game or that season, as both answers are good for them and not exactly good for us.

I thought you meant in reference to 5 in a row as in Winning the 5th in 04. I clearly remember the 05 game. But I don't remember the 'chew' to not hold up the 5 fingers, tho I doubt it would have mattered as in we still had 5 straight on them with their one.

badger
9/28/2008, 09:45 PM
The things I didn't miss was the yelling about holding up five fingers in 2005 (as in, "Five in a row") before the game at the tunnel.

http://www.profitmatic.com/imageLibrary/library/genie.jpg

mellopride
9/28/2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.vgchat.com/images/n00bies/oh_rly.jpg

Piware
9/28/2008, 09:55 PM
Anyone but me. ( ;) )

Brian A. Britt
Orange Avoider and Gloom Spreader
Pride of Oklahoma

Especially YOU! Where is Dr. Gene when you need him?!? Those Sousa awards came on his watch and it has gone downhill steadily since his retirement. Now we are resorting to the stupid canned music.

For you young'uns out there, the Pride received a game ball from Switzer after a Bedlam game. Dr. Gene was hustled off the field by OSU nazis but as he was taken away, he told the Pride to "play Boomer until we win". They did, we won and Switzer acknowledged that the Pride played an important part of the final score in that nasty little venue.

Bob Stoops honors the tradition of his predecessors - I don't know why the music department can't do the same thing.:mad:

badger
9/28/2008, 09:59 PM
Especially YOU! Where is Dr. Gene when you need him?!? Those Sousa awards came on his watch and it has gone downhill steadily since his retirement. Now we are resorting to the stupid canned music.

For you young'uns out there, the Pride received a game ball from Switzer after a OU-OSU game. Dr. Gene was hustled off the field by OSU nazis but as he was taken away, he told the Pride to "play Boomer until we win". They did, we won and Switzer acknowledged that the Pride played an important part of the final score in that nasty little venue.

Bob Stoops honors the tradition of his predecessors - I don't know why the music department can't do the same thing.:mad:

To be fair, the band got a game ball after OU-Bama in 2003. I think there's been balls since, but I'm not sure.

Brian Britt
9/28/2008, 10:01 PM
Especially YOU!
Now now, that's not fair. I'm going to be the bigger man here.
I only want to promote fair play, support our opponents, and spread good will. I've made an important announcement in the South Oval that would interest everyone greatly. This is a momentous day.

Brian A. Britt
Best Band Director

mellopride
9/28/2008, 11:05 PM
I would watch what I say "Brian" because if that court cases with the Oklahoma and that Nebraska fan have anything to say, you might find yourself in that boat too. HAHA

PrideTrombone
9/28/2008, 11:26 PM
Brian Britt is my 2nd favorite troll, only to Shamu.

boomersooner24
9/28/2008, 11:37 PM
The whole playing zombie nation after halftime is my fault. I set that to play after TDs on NCAA 09....EA must have told OU lol...I'd rather hear Boomer Sooner at the real games though

Collier11
9/28/2008, 11:40 PM
I must admit that I am sick of hearing Boomer Sooner 137 times a game, its a nice change up

froneal
9/28/2008, 11:43 PM
Luckily there are plenty of lame stand tunes for you to hear as well! And by "hear" I mean "not hear" (the Pride isn't loud). :D

GottaHavePride
9/28/2008, 11:43 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/telliecoin/dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg

SleestakSooner
9/29/2008, 01:37 AM
Seriously folks, when I heard that **** being played I thought for a brief moment I was at a minor league hockey game!

Let the schooner ride, bring back the rufnek shots and don't **** with the pride!

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2008, 01:38 AM
You won't be hearing Boomer Sooner much this weekend! We'll make sure of that!

apusooner
9/29/2008, 02:40 AM

Brian A. Britt
Director of Bands

ok, this made me laugh.

AlbqSooner
9/29/2008, 06:45 AM
I don't remember the year exactly but it was '63 or '64 RRS when the OU band took the halftime field first. They were supposed to do a ten minute show and then the texass band a ten minute show. OU took 19 minutes and the whorns did not get to do a half time show. When questioned about it, the OU band director said, "I am not sure what happened. It timed out to 10 minutes in practice all week." :D

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 06:51 AM

My ultimate goal is to completely abolish music-playing in the Pride alltogether. I've been systematically removing volume every year since 2004. The Pride of Oklahoma eventually will instead think positive thoughts about both teams in the manner of my favorite spiritual power-up technique, "The Secret." Good things come to those who believe!

Brian A. Britt
Practitioner of "The Secret"

You Ok dude But you aint Nevar gonna be Invited to Conduct the Drunkytown Train :mad:
jes sayin :P

bakerjrb
9/29/2008, 07:07 AM
Put me down as a big "NO" to this Zombie Nation cr@p.

It's supposed to go like this:
Touchdown - "Boomer Sooner" - Extra Point - "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's GOOD!" - "OK Oklahoma" - Kickoff.

Here's a link to the OU Athletic Department "send an e-mail" webpage, for anyone who wants to register a complaint.
http://www.soonersports.com/feedback/okla-feedback.html
Maybe if we crash the server, they will rethink their event planning.....

Live on, University

CincySooner
9/29/2008, 07:20 AM

not a lie... I sat right next to the band at UW, and saw it happen too. Now he may not have been all the way out at the 40, but he did come hustling up from quite a distance.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:25 AM
They better get this shat fixed or
http://memberdata.wildvoice.com/XXXNETWORK/images/whoopass.jpg

Collier11
9/29/2008, 08:32 AM

Oh, thats a good one...youve got a better shot at getting laid than Baylor does of beating us so shut the F**k up!!! ;)

MrJimBeam
9/29/2008, 08:44 AM
not a lie... I sat right next to the band at UW, and saw it happen too. Now he may not have been all the way out at the 40, but he did come hustling up from quite a distance.

Brian Britt runs like a girl.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 08:56 AM
We need to reinvigorate the Fire Brian Britt thread...

No playing Boomer after scores is crazy, and I would take off those head phone thingies and frickin' play. We never had them when I was in the Pride. I hope they don't try to tell the ALumni band that. They will not like the answer they get in return... Most Alumni band members are not the sheep bred by Britt...

badger
9/29/2008, 09:11 AM

grrr, I am big scary bear with big scary bear claws.

(sic em rocks!)

SoonersEnFuego
9/29/2008, 09:11 AM
I sent an e-mail:

"To whom it may concern,
Please stop playing "Zombie Nation" after a touchdown. This is messing with tradition and it exactly something you would hear at a minor league hockey game or AFL2 game. This is not minor league hockey. This is the University of Oklahoma. Show some respect for our wishes (Me and about 90% of the fans). You are better than that. Just because some other schools who do not have our tradition are doing this exact same thing, does not make it OK for OU to do. Again, I'll summarize...Play "Boomer Sooner" after the TD, Kick the PAT, Play "Oklahoma", then, if you wish, play whatever crappy techno song you want. But DO NOT replace "Boomer Sooner" at all.
Thanks,
Ron C. Freeman"

There, that should do it.
Be looking for Boomer Sooner again at the game.

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/29/2008, 10:33 AM
We need to reinvigorate the Fire Brian Britt thread...

No playing Boomer after scores is crazy, and I would take off those head phone thingies and frickin' play. We never had them when I was in the Pride. I hope they don't try to tell the ALumni band that. They will not like the answer they get in return... Most Alumni band members are not the sheep bred by Britt...

THA, 90% of anyone who is or ever has been in the Pride are NOT the sheep bred by Britt. And, surprise surprise, that other 10% are the ones who get the leadership positions within the band.

KingBarry
9/29/2008, 11:31 AM
If the football team is sick of Boomer Sooner, we could limit it to truly awesome moments or when the crowd is especially needed. A few years ago the band seemed to play Boomer and nothing but Boomer and I heard from some trainers that the players were somwhat annoyed.

Now that the band has actually worked up some other stand tunes other than Boomer Sooner like Crazy Train and Mortal Kombat and a revised Boomer for first downs, this should not be a problem anymore. A few years ago, the additional stand tunes were St. Elmo's and a very awful version of "We Will Rock You."

I think the directors and student leadership are quite capable of limiting Boomer Sooner if that's the goal. However... TOUCHDOWNS! There is no better time to play the school song! What if Michigan stopped playing "The Victors" after td's, or Notre Dame eliminated their "Victory March" from post-scoring celebrations? FAN REVOLT.

:) So anyway, with my evil smile here, if there is no Boomer Sooner after touchdowns at the next home game, we have oranges and we know how to throw them. :)

Well, to be fair, Notre Dame has almost eliminated Victory March by cutting way back on the scoring, and also on the victories.

KingBarry
9/29/2008, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=Penguin;2421246]Oh. I was thinking this was going to be a segment on College Gameday soon. "Bob Stoops has told his team to stop scoring because he is tired that damn fight song!" :D

Sounds like a headline in The Onion.

tbl
9/29/2008, 11:40 AM
Black jerseys, yes... but only if they contain the image of whichever pop celebrity is the most popular during that week. A nod to the celebrity's favorite leftist charity organization will be printed on the back. Naturally, there is money in this for the university (which is what the university craves the most) and the celebrity gets more attention drawn to himself or herself (which is what the celebrity craves the most).

Tradition is dying in college football. Pop culture is killing it. And there is nothing you can do about it.

If you play in the band, enjoy it while you can. Marching bands are expensive; dj's are cheap. You can be replaced and don't think it will never happen.
This is scary, and I can totally see it happening. If it does, College FB will lose the edge it has over the NFL (at least in regards to attending the games live).

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2008, 12:00 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!

That other song is fickunbg stupid anyway. I don't know who the ******* is that thought it was a good song in the first place or why every stadium feels the need to be like every other stadium. The song sucks.

PLAY BOOMER SOONER!!!

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2008, 12:08 PM

I get what what you are saying, but Boomer Sooner should always be played relentlessly.

However, I would like a few more tunes besides IronMan, RocknRoll part 2, and all other dumbassed songs that get beaten to death by every college band in the United States of Afreakingmerica.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 12:29 PM
I hate the Mortal Kombat song...

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2008, 12:31 PM
I hate the Mortal Kombat song...

I don't even know what that is... the song, I mean.

NormanPride
9/29/2008, 12:44 PM
Post 'em here. Maybe numbers will convince these fools.

Our Fight Song should be played after every touchdown, period. It should be played after every point scored, because this is college football, not pro football.

I went to a Green Bay Packers game last year, when they beat the Oakland Raiders by a margin of "a whole lot". After every point they played "Bang the Drum" as their touchdown song, and everyone enjoyed it. Here in Oklahoma, we enjoy our own touchdown song, and it is not "Zombie Nation" or "Bang the Drum". It is Boomer Sooner, and we play it all the time because we win a lot.

The thought that a tradition like this would be removed or altered anywhere in college football is preposterous, and the evidence that it actually had been changed at one of the most prestigious schools was sickening. We give the Pride of Oklahoma hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in funding to do one thing, and one thing only: Improve the atmosphere on Game Day in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Changes made recently to remove some of the angst and antagonism within the Prides practices and chants is somewhat tolerable, if not a sad indicator of the seriousness of today's society. However, removing a harmless and proud tradition for the sake of piping in some canned music to a confused crowd is insulting and stupid.

We can take this issue along an economical path as well. How much do we pay in royalties to play the songs we do? How much extra is that to ruin something good that we already pay for? Not only after touchdowns, but before big plays and during timeouts as well! What, then, do we have our Pride of Oklahoma for?

File this away as a belligerent email if you will, but file it with all the others that you will, no doubt, receive. Hopefully their numbers will do an adequate job of convincing you of the grievous error made, if my email alone did not.

Good day,

NormanPride
Pride of Oklahoma '00 - '04

badger
9/29/2008, 12:48 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/3461anp.jpg
Even Baylor Bear iz waiting for teh B00m@r 500n@r

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 12:53 PM
I don't even know what that is... the song, I mean.

If you seen a Pac-10 or a big-10/11 game, you have probably heard this song. I think it is triplets on the same tone repeated several times...

badger
9/29/2008, 12:55 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/debjf8.jpg

deweydw
9/29/2008, 01:19 PM
Just sent my e mail.

I just attended my very first OU game this past Saturday. I drove all the way from Houston not only to see the Sooners win. But to enjoy and take part in the rich traditions within the game that has made OU great. I was dissapointed that I did not hear "Boomer Sooner" being played after each score. Instead we hear some zombie nation blasting over the sound system. I did not attend OU, but have been a fan most of my life. "Boomer Sooner" means a lot to the Sooner nation. It means a lot to me. We take pride in hearing The Pride play "Boomer Sooner". Rethink your position on this issue. And keep tradition alive and well in the Sooner nation.

Thank you,

Don Welch

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 01:34 PM
Boomer Sooner should be played long, loud and often...It should be the song that every team hates to hear. Just like the shotguns. Are then going to silence those after a score because they interfere with the PA system?

badger
9/29/2008, 04:27 PM
Alphy bits killed the thread :D

Animal Mother
9/29/2008, 06:12 PM

Switzer gave The Pride the damn gameball after the way they rocked Trollwater (Stillwater) during the '83 game.

DallasSooner87
9/29/2008, 06:49 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boomer Sooner is back! Mr. Britt talked to the program director for the games and they concurred that not playing Boomer Sooner was a bad idea, and the program director didn't think so many people would be upset. So again, Boomer Sooner is back.:)

DallasSooner87
9/29/2008, 06:53 PM
On a related note could any of you old Pride members please write and ask for Boomer 3 back. For you people you aren't in Pride it is the one where we hold out the long chord, at an insane volume, for quite sometime. It gets the crowd loud and I have seen it cause many false starts. That is all.

MichiganSooner
9/29/2008, 07:21 PM
I wonder if Dr. Boren read my e-mail and talked to the program director?
Now to the Pride, Blast Boomer Sooner and I mean BLOW those horns and POUND those drums. We want NOISE!!! And, blast the long chord on third down!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
9/30/2008, 06:00 PM
...and the program director didn't think so many people would be upset. So again, Boomer Sooner is back.:)

This person is OBVIOUSLY not an OU grad... No self-reflecting Sooner would ever think that. We must have one of the few fight songs people really hate to hear - that is if your not a Sooner.

BTW, a colleague has a son in the drum line this year and texted him after I told him of this. His son quickly replied that it was fixed...

Chi Gamma Blackness
9/30/2008, 10:19 PM
heh...

Paperclip
9/30/2008, 10:26 PM
I'm still just flummoxed that this was even an issue. I haven't heard an idea this bad since the "Jump To Conclusions Mat".

And yes, my sources tell me Boomer Sooner is back. :)

Chi Gamma Blackness
9/30/2008, 10:30 PM
I spoke to a current Pride member and good friend about why Boomer 3 was no longer in effect...he informed me that Britt didn't want to play it because it wasn't classy. :mad:
Thanks Britt, I'll remember that next time you have your band play Mortal Kombat.

Howell County Okie
10/1/2008, 12:24 AM
I sent Joe C an e-mail asking why Boomer Sooner was not played after touchdowns, if he was responsible and did he not respect the traditions of
OU. This is his huffy reply:

As a matter of professional courtesy I try to respond to all inquiries. We appreciate the interest and concern of our passionate fan base. However, I do receive e-mails from time to time which are not worthy of dignifying the remarks by responding. Your e-mail is in that category. If not for the fact that I received a few of its kind, I would not be replying to you.

It appears that a number of people are on some internet site and are buying in to some nonsense someone is printing. If people want to believe those absurd comments some people make on the internet or say on talk radio that's their prerogative. However, shameful e-mails like this waste everyone's time.

There is absolutely no truth to the claim we prevent our outstanding band from playing our "fight song". We love "The Pride" and the spirit they bring to every event. To think for one second that we would prevent them from playing our fight song is ridiculous.

For once it would be nice to see someone recognize the absurdity and set the record straight before assuming the Athletic Department would ever be part of something so silly.

I have no idea why someone would say such a thing but it is wrong. Recorded music is used only when the band can't play for some reason like entering or exiting the stands in regards to their field shows. When that occurs it is orchestrated with the involvement and blessing of the band.

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics

froneal
10/1/2008, 12:50 AM
How absurd indeed. Sounds like Joe's a bit cranky tonight. :rolleyes:

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/1/2008, 12:54 AM
I sent Joe C an e-mail asking why Boomer Sooner was not played after touchdowns, if he was responsible and did he not respect the traditions of

As a matter of professional courtesy I try to respond to all inquiries. We appreciate the interest and concern of our passionate fan base. However, I do receive e-mails from time to time which are not worthy of dignifying the remarks by responding. Your e-mail is in that category. If not for the fact that I received a few of its kind, I would not be replying to you.

It appears that a number of people are on some internet site and are buying in to some nonsense someone is printing. If people want to believe those absurd comments some people make on the internet or say on talk radio that's their prerogative. However, shameful e-mails like this waste everyone's time.

There is absolutely no truth to the claim we prevent our outstanding band from playing our "fight song". We love "The Pride" and the spirit they bring to every event. To think for one second that we would prevent them from playing our fight song is ridiculous.

For once it would be nice to see someone recognize the absurdity and set the record straight before assuming the Athletic Department would ever be part of something so silly.

I have no idea why someone would say such a thing but it is wrong. Recorded music is used only when the band can't play for some reason like entering or exiting the stands in regards to their field shows. When that occurs it is orchestrated with the involvement and blessing of the band.

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics

Can we see your original e-mail? Seems a bit dooshy without being provoked. That being said, welcome to the board...

...n00b ;)

Collier11
10/1/2008, 08:47 AM

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics

This never happened

froneal
10/1/2008, 08:55 AM
This never happened

Sounds pretty official to me... :confused:

badger
10/1/2008, 08:59 AM
it doesn't sound absurd - it sounds defensive.

perhaps all those yellow shirt gestapo references are getting to him ;)

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 01:28 PM
Who the hell is running this joke of a department, the U.S. congress?.

No, The US president.. Only he would do something like that...

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 01:31 PM
This never happened

I think it is legit..

badger
10/1/2008, 01:54 PM
Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me if the e-mail is fake or not. We got Boomer after TD's back, so we got what we wanted.

However, it still bothers me that they would attempt to take it away in the first place :(

boomermagic
10/1/2008, 02:37 PM
Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me if the e-mail is fake or not. We got Boomer after TD's back, so we got what we wanted.

However, it still bothers me that they would attempt to take it away in the first place :(

Agreed !

SoonersEnFuego
10/1/2008, 02:42 PM
In your face! Mortal Kombat and Zombie Techno!

Jason White's Third Knee
10/1/2008, 02:44 PM
I also sent Joe C an e-mail asking why Boomer Sooner was not played after touchdowns, if he was responsible and did he not respect the traditions of
OU. This is his rather over the top reply:

Dear JW3K,

You are an idiot. Your posts suck and you can't even kill the ender thread that was moved to the test forum. Retard. Pfft.

Yes, I killed Boomer Sooner and wanted to rock out to my old mix tapes for ONE FRIGGIN' GAME and everyone has their panties in a wad. I had some college buddies in town and one of them double dog dared me that I didn't have the juice to do it. Well, I do and I did it. I took 1/2 an X anyway. What do I care?

Seriously though, wasn't it nice to hear something else for one goddamned game? Do we have to hear the off tune squeaking and squealing of the Pride's lame-assed renditions of Thriller and Iron man all the time? Hey, newsflash! The tune from Oklahoma is as gay as the broadway musical it came from. Holy hell!!! Make sure you wag your spirit fingers to the beat faggot.

Look, I know you like your traditions. I have mine. I drop a hit of acid before communion every Sunday. It really peps up the sermons. See? I get it, but if I get one more of these stupid emails from you redneck morans, I am gonna pull rank again and change the mascot from the Sooners to the Butt Pirates.

Harsh on that dude,

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics

badger
10/1/2008, 07:25 PM
Joe C. sent me a carrier pigeon and asked me to post this in reference to any and all references to the school song "Boomer Sooner," especially in reference to touchdowns:

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6153/ysgms7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/ysgms7.jpg/1/w420.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img512/ysgms7.jpg/1/)

SouthCarolinaSooner
10/1/2008, 07:29 PM
The sound system played something instead. Like a bit from some song from the 80s.

It was Zombie Nation. Something one would hear at a AFL2 game.

What a disgrace.
What? Zombie Nation is great, just on kickoffs or the start of the fourth quarter or something, not right after scores though.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/2/2008, 05:14 AM
The Fock is not a pro venue. I don't want any stinking crap over the PA unless it is the Pride being miked. The running through the stupid inflatable schooner is bad enough...

TUSooner
10/2/2008, 09:22 AM
Canned music at a college football game is PURE GOD-HATING ANTI-AMERICA EVILNESS! Colleges have bands just so there's not need for that electro-spaz crapola. Actually, canned music is PGHAAE at any football game. Whoever said that playing canned crap was worthy only of a POS AFL2 game was dead on.

TUSooner
10/2/2008, 09:26 AM
I also sent Joe C an e-mail asking why Boomer Sooner was not played after touchdowns, if he was responsible and did he not respect the traditions of
OU. This is his rather over the top reply:

Dear JW3K,

You are an idiot. Your posts suck and you can't even kill the ender thread that was moved to the test forum. Retard. Pfft.

Yes, I killed Boomer Sooner and wanted to rock out to my old mix tapes for ONE FRIGGIN' GAME and everyone has their panties in a wad. I had some college buddies in town and one of them double dog dared me that I didn't have the juice to do it. Well, I do and I did it. I took 1/2 an X anyway. What do I care?

Seriously though, wasn't it nice to hear something else for one goddamned game? Do we have to hear the off tune squeaking and squealing of the Pride's lame-assed renditions of Thriller and Iron man all the time? Hey, newsflash! The tune from Oklahoma is as gay as the broadway musical it came from. Holy hell!!! Make sure you wag your spirit fingers to the beat faggot.

Look, I know you like your traditions. I have mine. I drop a hit of acid before communion every Sunday. It really peps up the sermons. See? I get it, but if I get one more of these stupid emails from you redneck morans, I am gonna pull rank again and change the mascot from the Sooners to the Butt Pirates.

Harsh on that dude,

Joe Castiglione
Director of Athletics

Not to cast aspersions on your character or veracity, Mr. Knee, but I rather doubt that Joe Castiglione actually sent you that.
Sincerely,
TU

badger
10/2/2008, 09:28 AM
Not to cast aspersions on your character or veracity, Mr. Knee, but I rather doubt that Joe Castiglione actually sent you that.
Sincerely,
TU

No, it sounds perfectly angry to me. Joe C. is a very friendly athletic director and we all know that the friendlier a person is in public, the more curse happy they are in non-public.

;)

KingBarry
10/2/2008, 10:00 AM
I have no idea if the first Joe C note above is authentic or not.

Point of fact -- It shouldn't be very hard to establish if the Pride played Boomer Sooner after TDs on Saturday or not.

We scored five TDs. The band either played it or they didn't.

I wasn't there.

Maybe I better review my "game tapes."

"Down, and to the right. Down, and to the right. Down, and to the...."

NormanPride
10/2/2008, 10:06 AM
Joe C kicked my puppy and gave me a wet willy, right after he spat on Owen Field. I dun seen it!

badger
10/2/2008, 10:32 AM
I have no idea if the first Joe C note above is authentic or not.

:D:D:D

psst... that's why we're having fun with this.

Joe C. text messaged my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend to let me know this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Landry Jones pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

NOTE TO LANDRY'S FATHER: Oh gawd, please don't sue me. Landry Jones would never pass out at 31 Flavors. I don't even know what 31 Flavors is! I just stole the quote from Ferris Bueller! Landry Jones has the most sure footing, sure stomaching of anyone in the world and wouldn't even pass out in 200 degree heat, I bet. We love you, Landry!

Jason White's Third Knee
10/2/2008, 12:24 PM
Joe C. punched an American flag and said that Boomer Sooner shouldn't even be played on a kazoo... then he went on to say that nothing should be played on a kazoo. Then he set fire to an orphanage.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/2/2008, 12:32 PM
Joe C. is such a terrible person that he makes baby seals club themselves to death.

badger
10/2/2008, 01:08 PM
Joe C. is like a Poke.

http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/web/100%20best/jc.jpg

A fellow Oklahoman, hard worker, personable, nice guy during the week days...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/hbinkley/pokedoosh.jpg

Koozie handcuffs on Saturday :mad: