PDA

View Full Version : Baylor/Waco Guide

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 01:57 AM
This is SicEm’s guide to Waco and Baylor for you visiting Sooners next weekend. If anyone has any questions then please feel free to ask. I would like to get together with anyone who is interested after the game for a beer or something. I’d like to get a pretty decent group together, but I don’t know how many people would be interested in that. If you are then just let me know in this thread or shoot me a PM. Also, if anyone would like a tour of the campus or has a question then shoot me a PM at any time, and I’ll give you my # so you can get in touch with me.

Tickets:
If you don’t have tickets then don’t worry. You can easily get them on gameday at the Stadium’s ticket office. The price will probably be about $30.00, but you may be able to get one cheaper from a scalper or just ask around. There’s also a chance you can get a ticket for free since there are various promotional things typically going on, but I wouldn’t count on that.

The Stadium:
Remember, the Stadium is just off of Valley Mills Drive and NOT on the Baylor campus. The exit for which is just off of I-35. It shouldn’t be too hard to find, but the visitor’s section can be a little tricky. Instead of turning into the main stadium entrance, you will want to turn RIGHT (NE) onto Dutton Ave. from Valley Mills Drive. This street is between the HEB grocery store, and a large EZ Pawn shop. Proceed down Dutton Ave. and then turn LEFT onto 29th street and start looking for a place to park. If you get there early then you should be able to park at the stadium itself, but be warned that a lot of the parking back there isn’t paved and you’ll be parking on grass. Alternatively, a lot of the houses around the area open up their drives and yards for parking which ranges from $5.00 and up.

Hotels:
There are a lot of hotels in the area, but I would recommend staying at the downtown Hilton which was just remodeled and is just across the street from the revitalized warehouse restaurants, clubs, and shops. There are some pretty good places to eat there which I will get into in a moment. If you can’t find a place in Waco itself then check Bellmead which is essentially a suburb of Waco and only 15 minutes from the stadium (it’s also where I live).

Food:
There are lots of great places to eat in Waco. I’m going to give you my personal recommendations.

Buzzard Billy’s – Cajun food. The restaurant itself sits right on the north bank of the Brazos river.

Ninfa’s – Mexican food. Ninfa’s is in the downtown warehouse area across from the Hilton. The Mexican food is quite excellent.

Health Camp – Burgers/Shakes. This is a Baylor institution. The name is a total misnomer, because there is nothing healthy about this place. If you like burgers and shakes though then this is the place to go. It’s located on the Waco circle which connects to Valley Mills Drive on the other side of the interstate from the stadium.

Cricket’s – Bar and Grill. Cricket’s is located in the warehouse area, and they have a HUGE selection of beer on tap. They have pretty decent food and even a cigar bar.

George’s – Bar and grill. This is THE bar for Baylor. It’s so famous that Pat Green wrote a song about it! Seriously, there is no place better to kick back, have a beer, and enjoy some great food! It’s a bit hard to find but it’s close to the stadium so just Google it. Also, George’s sets a tent up just across from the stadium (off Baylor’s property) where they have a huge tailgate thing with beer.

Vitek’s – BBQ. Great BBQ. Order the gutpack. This is just south of the Baylor campus on the I-35 access road.

Poppo Rollo’s – Pizza. This place is fantastic. I can not rave about it enough! It’s got sort of an off-beat atmosphere that is reminesent of a 20’s speakeasy. The pizza is, without a doubt, the best you’ll ever have. It’s locally owned and another popular Baylor place. Located on Valley Mills Drive.

There are also the standard chain restaurant type places located up and down Valley Mills Drive and Franklin Ave (which is off of Valley Mills). They include Cheddar’s, Applebees, Chipotle, Pizza Hut , TGI Friday’s, Outback, etc. There’s also an Olive Garden and Red Lobster located next to the Waco mall off HW-6.

Baylor:
If you get a chance then take a tour of Baylor! When I go to away games, I always like to walk around the campus for a few minutes and check things out. We’ve got some great new sports facilities built that you may be interested in checking out since they can all be seen from the road. Just go down University Parks Drive (off of I-35) and the Baylor sports complexes are along the river. If anyone wants to be shown around then please feel free to let me know or give me a call! I really love Baylor and would be more than happy to show it off a little!
Alright everyone, have a safe trip! Remember to PM me if you need anything or just ask right here! Have a safe drive down to Waco, and good luck (but not too much!)

Sic ‘Em Bears!!!

Flagstaffsooner
9/28/2008, 08:29 AM
And dont miss the Bellybutton Lint Museum. Its right across the steet from SicEm's pile of empty Zimas.

Rogue
9/28/2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks SicEm. I bet you're a great host. I remember the pics you put up of the stadium last year or so. Can't wait until OU plays Tennessee in a few years and meet a bunch of y'all.

ArkanSooner
9/28/2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks SicEm! Lots of helpful information there.

Lott's Bandana
9/28/2008, 10:24 AM
they have Wal-mart too!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/28/2008, 10:31 AM
Family is forcing me to attend the Aggy-Aggy game.

badger
9/28/2008, 11:09 AM
Baylor fans are more polite than Nebraska's right about now :D

Soonerus
9/28/2008, 11:10 AM
Where is Walmart in relation to the stadium ??

badger
9/28/2008, 11:14 AM

Like Starbucks, there are actually several Wal-marts inside the stadium that compete with each other.

mfosterftw
9/28/2008, 11:16 AM
George’s – Bar and grill. This is THE bar for Baylor. It’s so famous that Pat Green wrote a song about it! Seriously, there is no place better to kick back, have a beer, and enjoy some great food! It’s a bit hard to find but it’s close to the stadium so just Google it. Also, George’s sets a tent up just across from the stadium (off Baylor’s property) where they have a huge tailgate thing with beer.

I'll second George's. Great food, great atmosphere, great place.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:06 PM

Well, there are two. The one in Bellmead is about 15 mins from the stadium but there's also one on Franklin Ave. which is about 5 minutes away.

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:14 PM
Like Starbucks, there are actually several Wal-marts inside the stadium that compete with each other.

Remember, this is Baylor not OSh*tU!

badger
9/28/2008, 02:42 PM
Remember, this is Baylor not OSh*tU!

Oh S#it You??? Wow, that's a new one. Will store and hold for later references :D

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:01 AM
All the places sic' em listed are great. I think Georges and poppa rollos are the best though. The crazy wings at Georges are a must if you like chicken stuffed with cheese and jalapeno, wrapped in bacon!

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:05 AM
All the places sic' em listed are great. I think Georges and poppa rollos are the best though. The crazy wings at Georges are a must if you like chicken stuffed with cheese and jalapeno, wrapped in bacon!

Screw that Im going to Hooters
I want to see Big Boobs serving me Beer and stuff that aint fit to eat :hot:

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:07 AM
Screw that Im going to Hooters
I want to see Big Boobs serving me Beer and stuff that aint fit to eat :hot:

If your going to the Hooters in Waco, good luck on seeing any "big boobs". Sorry but its the weakest hooters i've ever been to.
Georges waitresses are better

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:13 AM
If your going to the Hooters in Waco, good luck on seeing any "big boobs". Sorry but its the weakest hooters i've ever been to.
Georges waitresses are better

But are they dressed as skimpy ?
:hot:

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:14 AM
I might have some extra tickets to the game, I will know for sure by mid-week. If you buy tickets when you get here they are $40, just fyi

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:17 AM
they have the usual hooters outfits, just not filled out with the hooters-type bodies.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:19 AM
they have the usual hooters outfits, just not filled out with the hooters-type bodies.

No bro the georges broads ?
Hell Ill find tickets on the ground LOL
I want Tittays and beer . :rolleyes:

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:22 AM
lol, my bad, yeah they wear all different things. Short shorts, mini skirts, tied up t-shirts, etc. Its the coldest beer in Waco, you have to get the Big-O beers, WORLD FAMOUS!

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:29 AM
lol, my bad, yeah they wear all different things. Short shorts, mini skirts, tied up t-shirts, etc. Its the coldest beer in Waco, you have to get the Big-O beers, WORLD FAMOUS!

Ok Bro . Im single er Devorced 3 times
But My Bro i law aint .
We escapin so we want Big tattaas and cold beer . the food can suck .
where we go ?

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:38 AM
I say Georges or Hooters are the best two options. My opinion is Georges, because its the best beer and there is plenty to look at. I havent been to hooters in Waco in about a year so I dont know if the have improved the waitresses, but the last time i went it sucked, no one was over a B cup. Just go to Georges and enjoy the Big-O's, there will be plenty of girls to look check out at the game! If you want a second opinion ask Sic' em

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:43 AM
I say Georges or Hooters are the best two options. My opinion is Georges, because its the best beer and there is plenty to look at. I havent been to hooters in Waco in about a year so I dont know if the have improved the waitresses, but the last time i went it sucked, no one was over a B cup. Just go to Georges and enjoy the Big-O's, there will be plenty of girls to look check out at the game! If you want a second opinion ask Sic' em

Askin Sicem fer wimmen advice Is like askin me how to fly to the Moon .:rolleyes:

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:48 AM
Askin Sicem fer wimmen advice Is like askin me how to fly to the Moon .:rolleyes:

HA HA HA,

Well go to Georges then, if you want to go to hooters stop in Dallas on the way back. I dont think you will be disappointed! There will be some hot women there. Save hooters for the bigger cities (and bigger boobs).

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 07:53 AM
HA HA HA,

Well go to Georges then, if you want to go to hooters stop in Dallas on the way back. I dont think you will be disappointed! There will be some hot women there. Save hooters for the bigger cities (and bigger boobs).

Do you live there ?
In waco ? I aint gonna go thru Dallas .

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 07:57 AM
Do you live there ?
In waco ? I aint gonna go thru Dallas .

Yeah, I live in Waco.

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I live in Waco.

Cool
if you dont mind Peem me yer didjits , Ill call when we get there ,
I think its been like a 100 years or so since Ive been down that way .

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2008, 12:40 PM

I second this opinion. George's is infinitely better than Hooters.

LesNessman
9/29/2008, 12:44 PM
Hey SicEm,

Thanks for the info. What do you think about Kitok's (a friend said they have great burgers)?

Ever been there?

OKLA21FAN
9/29/2008, 12:45 PM
this will be the first Wacky Waco trip I will miss since '00. :(

Waco is by far on of the best conference OU road venues. neat city, beautiful campus, great fans, even better band, RV lot is close to the stadium, and oh yeah. sit close enough to the BU student section, and you might get some of the free pizza in the 3rd quarter!

The up side is that we are leaving for Dega on Wednesday, then a few days in Destin, then back to Dallas for the RRS.

Cheshire Bear.
9/29/2008, 01:30 PM
Hey SicEm,

Thanks for the info. What do you think about Kitok's (a friend said they have great burgers)?

Ever been there?

Kitok's is awesome, but it's in the ghetto on 18th St. lol. Waco is an oddball city...The campus is not in the nicest area of Waco, but when you see it seems kind of like it stands alone. It's a beautiful campus, but Waco for the most part is kind of ghetto lol. Kitok's is just a little hole in the wall on 18th. Coming from 35 it will be on your right hand side. It's a very good place. If you're headed that way though, I'd go up a little further to Dubl-R. That place has some awesome, diner style burgers and badass milkshakes. Not sure the intersection, but it's in the same area. Someone else from Waco know the corner? I forgot...

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2008, 01:41 PM
Kitok's is awesome, but it's in the ghetto on 18th St. lol. Waco is an oddball city...The campus is not in the nicest area of Waco, but when you see it seems kind of like it stands alone. It's a beautiful campus, but Waco for the most part is kind of ghetto lol. Kitok's is just a little hole in the wall on 18th. Coming from 35 it will be on your right hand side. It's a very good place. If you're headed that way though, I'd go up a little further to Dubl-R. That place has some awesome, diner style burgers and badass milkshakes. Not sure the intersection, but it's in the same area. Someone else from Waco know the corner? I forgot...

Dubl-R is on the corner of Herring and 18th. I'm actually not a huge fan of Dubl-R burger. Health Camp>Dubl-R. I've never had Kitok's though! I need to check it out.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/29/2008, 01:51 PM
Looks to be a full Sooner contingent. Just spoke with nice Baylor athletic person, only seats left were up high or on the south edge of the stadium on the visitor side. Scored 50 yard line seats - row 55.

Cheshire Bear.
9/29/2008, 01:53 PM
Dubl-R is on the corner of Herring and 18th. I'm actually not a huge fan of Dubl-R burger. Health Camp>Dubl-R. I've never had Kitok's though! I need to check it out.

Health Camp is greatness...What about Cups? Is Cups still in business?

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2008, 02:22 PM
Health Camp is greatness...What about Cups? Is Cups still in business?

I've never heard of it. Where is it at and what kind of place?

I really wish Big Daddy's was still around. =(

Cheshire Bear.
9/29/2008, 02:32 PM
I've never heard of it. Where is it at and what kind of place?

I really wish Big Daddy's was still around. =(

Umm...not sure, but it's close to campus.

Big Daddy's was AWESOME. What happened? Did they just go out of business? We ate there a lot when we lived in Waco.

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 02:38 PM
I think they strictly do catering now

SicEmBaylor
9/29/2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, they just do catering. =( I don't think it was a money issue -- I think they just got tired of manning the restaurant.

A second Dubl-R Burger went in where Big Daddy's was for awhile, but I thought it was horrible. I'm not sure what's over there now.

BoonesFarmSooner
9/29/2008, 04:28 PM
Heading up from hOUston on Saturday morning early...

Hey SicEm, thanks for the updates and info. What's the alcohol policy around the stadium? I assume no beer on the stadium grounds, but do they crack down on it offsite? And is there tailgating around the George's tent?

Gracias, Amigo!

SOONERnTx
9/29/2008, 10:44 PM
Heading up from hOUston on Saturday morning early...

Hey SicEm, thanks for the updates and info. What's the alcohol policy around the stadium? I assume no beer on the stadium grounds, but do they crack down on it offsite? And is there tailgating around the George's tent?

Gracias, Amigo!

As far as drinking around the stadium, it is ok as long as your pour your beverage of choice into a plastic cup. The georges tent is off premisis so they will be selling beer and they have tv's set up so you can watch gameday. They will also probably be selling breakfast burritos. Its like one big tailgate over there. The whole tailgating scene is nothing like Norman, but it should be fun!

randall180
9/30/2008, 11:24 AM
Any body know what kind of cameras you can take in the stadium? can i just take my little point and shoot camera, can i bring my SLR?

OKLA21FAN
9/30/2008, 11:52 AM
Any body know what kind of cameras you can take in the stadium? can i just take my little point and shoot camera, can i bring my SLR?looks like its okay as long as the lens is not too large

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bay/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/06-fan-guide.pdf

BoonesFarmSooner
9/30/2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for all the info, Sic'Em!!!

SOONERnTx
10/1/2008, 02:35 AM
anyone up for georges after the game?

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2008, 02:55 AM
anyone up for georges after the game?

I'm definitely up for it.

SOONERnTx
10/1/2008, 05:22 AM
cool, might be fun to get a group together

BoonesFarmSooner
10/1/2008, 08:50 AM
I'll be there after the game for a few Big-O's...

randall180
10/1/2008, 09:38 AM
thanks for that pdf. hopefully my lens isn't 'too large'

soonerbred
10/1/2008, 10:31 AM
Anyone going to George's on Friday night? We're leaving for home right after game - but, planning to go to George's tent pre-game!

Remembering Tom Stidham
10/1/2008, 10:46 AM
I was stationed at the old Connally AFB in the 1950s. All of the good restaurants seem to be gone. 'George's Chef' was my favorite. Are the Williams Drug Stores still there? How about 'Sam Coates'? Is the Amicable Life Building still the tallest building downtown?

SicEmBaylor
10/1/2008, 02:31 PM
I was stationed at the old Connally AFB in the 1950s. All of the good restaurants seem to be gone. 'George's Chef' was my favorite. Are the Williams Drug Stores still there? How about 'Sam Coates'? Is the Amicable Life Building still the tallest building downtown?

The Amico building is still there and still the tallest building in town.

columbuscreek
10/1/2008, 06:04 PM
Will Dave Bliss be in town?