PDA

View Full Version : Baylor/Waco Guide

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 01:56 AM
This is SicEm’s guide to Waco and Baylor for you visiting Sooners next weekend. If anyone has any questions then please feel free to ask. I would like to get together with anyone who is interested after the game for a beer or something. I’d like to get a pretty decent group together, but I don’t know how many people would be interested in that. If you are then just let me know in this thread or shoot me a PM. Also, if anyone would like a tour of the campus or has a question then shoot me a PM at any time, and I’ll give you my # so you can get in touch with me.

Tickets:
If you don’t have tickets then don’t worry. You can easily get them on gameday at the Stadium’s ticket office. The price will probably be about $30.00, but you may be able to get one cheaper from a scalper or just ask around. There’s also a chance you can get a ticket for free since there are various promotional things typically going on, but I wouldn’t count on that.

The Stadium:
Remember, the Stadium is just off of Valley Mills Drive and NOT on the Baylor campus. The exit for which is just off of I-35. It shouldn’t be too hard to find, but the visitor’s section can be a little tricky. Instead of turning into the main stadium entrance, you will want to turn RIGHT (NE) onto Dutton Ave. from Valley Mills Drive. This street is between the HEB grocery store, and a large EZ Pawn shop. Proceed down Dutton Ave. and then turn LEFT onto 29th street and start looking for a place to park. If you get there early then you should be able to park at the stadium itself, but be warned that a lot of the parking back there isn’t paved and you’ll be parking on grass. Alternatively, a lot of the houses around the area open up their drives and yards for parking which ranges from $5.00 and up.

Hotels:
There are a lot of hotels in the area, but I would recommend staying at the downtown Hilton which was just remodeled and is just across the street from the revitalized warehouse restaurants, clubs, and shops. There are some pretty good places to eat there which I will get into in a moment. If you can’t find a place in Waco itself then check Bellmead which is essentially a suburb of Waco and only 15 minutes from the stadium (it’s also where I live).

Food:
There are lots of great places to eat in Waco. I’m going to give you my personal recommendations.

Buzzard Billy’s – Cajun food. The restaurant itself sits right on the north bank of the Brazos river.

Ninfa’s – Mexican food. Ninfa’s is in the downtown warehouse area across from the Hilton. The Mexican food is quite excellent.

Health Camp – Burgers/Shakes. This is a Baylor institution. The name is a total misnomer, because there is nothing healthy about this place. If you like burgers and shakes though then this is the place to go. It’s located on the Waco circle which connects to Valley Mills Drive on the other side of the interstate from the stadium.

Cricket’s – Bar and Grill. Cricket’s is located in the warehouse area, and they have a HUGE selection of beer on tap. They have pretty decent food and even a cigar bar.

George’s – Bar and grill. This is THE bar for Baylor. It’s so famous that Pat Green wrote a song about it! Seriously, there is no place better to kick back, have a beer, and enjoy some great food! It’s a bit hard to find but it’s close to the stadium so just Google it. Also, George’s sets a tent up just across from the stadium (off Baylor’s property) where they have a huge tailgate thing with beer.

Vitek’s – BBQ. Great BBQ. Order the gutpack. This is just south of the Baylor campus on the I-35 access road.

Poppo Rollo’s – Pizza. This place is fantastic. I can not rave about it enough! It’s got sort of an off-beat atmosphere that is reminesent of a 20’s speakeasy. The pizza is, without a doubt, the best you’ll ever have. It’s locally owned and another popular Baylor place. Located on Valley Mills Drive.

There are also the standard chain restaurant type places located up and down Valley Mills Drive and Franklin Ave (which is off of Valley Mills). They include Cheddar’s, Applebees, Chipotle, Pizza Hut , TGI Friday’s, Outback, etc. There’s also an Olive Garden and Red Lobster located next to the Waco mall off HW-6.

Baylor:
If you get a chance then take a tour of Baylor! When I go to away games, I always like to walk around the campus for a few minutes and check things out. We’ve got some great new sports facilities built that you may be interested in checking out since they can all be seen from the road. Just go down University Parks Drive (off of I-35) and the Baylor sports complexes are along the river. If anyone wants to be shown around then please feel free to let me know or give me a call! I really love Baylor and would be more than happy to show it off a little!
Alright everyone, have a safe trip! Remember to PM me if you need anything or just ask right here! Have a safe drive down to Waco, and good luck (but not too much!)

Sic ‘Em Bears!!!

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 04:39 AM
No Mention Of Hooters ? :eek:

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:19 PM
No Mention Of Hooters ? :eek:

There's a Hooters off of I-35 south of the stadium just before the New Road exit. :D

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 02:21 PM
There's a Hooters off of I-35 south of the stadium just before the New Road exit. :D

My BIL an I are Plannin a road trip .
We will Be at the Hooters some time Fri . Nite
Wanta come By ?
WE will show ya how to flirt with teh ladies :hot:

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:24 PM
My BIL an I are Plannin a road trip .
We will Be at the Hooters some time Fri . Nite
Wanta come By ?
WE will show ya how to flirt with teh ladies :hot:

Yes I do actually. If you go then I'll totally be there without a doubt.

soonerinabilene
9/28/2008, 02:25 PM
Ninfas and Crickets are my two favorite places to go in Waco. Also, the corny dogs in the stadium are bad ***.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 02:26 PM

Ill let ya know Fri. IF we are gonna be there for sure .
But so far its a go .

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 02:27 PM
Sweet.

colleyvillesooner
9/28/2008, 03:03 PM
Do the visitors sit in sections t-v?

Jimminy Crimson
9/28/2008, 03:29 PM
Do the visitors sit in sections a-v?

Yes. :cool:

SicEmBaylor
9/28/2008, 03:47 PM
Do the visitors sit in sections t-v?

Yep. Thereabouts. Although you essentially sit anywhere you want.

colleyvillesooner
9/29/2008, 12:15 AM
Yes I do actually. If you go then I'll totally be there without a doubt...unless it's cloudy.

Fixed

olevetonahill
9/29/2008, 12:22 AM
Fixed

So yer sayin I aint gonna have a guide ?:mad:

StoopTroup
9/29/2008, 05:24 PM

OV...this highlighted area of SicEm's post should stand as a warning for "Don't hold yer breath...I might be in Houston this weekend." :pop: :D ;)

YWIA

ST

47straight
9/29/2008, 06:42 PM
I will need numbers of your ex girlfriends.

princehull
9/30/2008, 11:47 PM
Hey
Do you know what hotel Oklahoma stays at when they come to Waco?
Thanks!

SicEmBaylor
9/30/2008, 11:52 PM
Hey
Do you know what hotel Oklahoma stays at when they come to Waco?
Thanks!

Probably the downtown Hilton. I don't know why everyone refers to it as the "downtown Hilton" since it's the only Hilton in town...

princehull
9/30/2008, 11:55 PM
lol....that's what i was thinking. need to get some stoops autographs for some friends back in NY

SoonerKnight
10/1/2008, 02:28 AM
thanx

StoopTroup
10/1/2008, 03:46 PM
There were probably plans to build another Hilton...and then...they realized they had just built one in Downtown Waco.

princehull
10/3/2008, 04:41 PM
it looks like they are staying at the Clarion........

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2008, 04:43 PM
it looks like they are staying at the Clarion........

You're kidding? The Clarion?
:sigh: Public schools....:rolleyes:

;)

princehull
10/3/2008, 04:44 PM
yeah, i went over to see if there were any buses over at the Hilton and didn't see any. On my way home I saw 4 buses outside the Clarion and equipment being unloaded.

princehull
10/3/2008, 04:50 PM
is it ok to put a link to my Baylor site here?

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2008, 04:56 PM
I would imagine so.

princehull
10/3/2008, 04:59 PM
Just wanted to make sure no one had a problem with it, just got it up the other day. www.fansofbaylor.com

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2008, 05:00 PM
Just wanted to make sure no one had a problem with it, just got it up the other day. www.fansofbaylor.com

That's awesome. SIC 'EM BEARS!

princehull
10/3/2008, 05:02 PM
thanks! hopin to get some people in the forums.....

sooneron
10/3/2008, 11:04 PM
The demand must be high for a baylor fansite. You should charge people.

Penguin
10/12/2008, 01:14 AM
Time to unstickify.

mdklatt
10/13/2008, 02:09 PM
Time to unstickify.

Put a little rubbing alcohol on it.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2008, 02:34 PM
We could just leave it up until 2010 when OU plays in Waco again. It'll save the mods the trouble of having to unsticky and then turn around (2 years later) and have to sticky it again.