PDA

View Full Version : synthetic motor oil

Petro-Sooner
9/27/2008, 10:23 PM
Yaa, Nea? Pros, cons? Serious queston.

Curly Bill
9/27/2008, 10:24 PM
Not me. Never had a problem using the real thing, why change?

Flagstaffsooner
9/27/2008, 10:33 PM
yea, lasts longer, its still the real thing.

walkoffsooner
9/27/2008, 10:56 PM
yea, better oil and last longer. Alot longer

Sooner Eclipse
9/27/2008, 11:16 PM
You're the petro guy - shouldn't you know.

Yes, It's well worth the money. It drops engine wear down to virtually nothing, assuming its built right in the first place. It maintains its properties at a much higher temperature vs conventional oils. Ergo - no sludge.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 04:34 AM
At 10 bucks or so a quart I say it aint worth it .
I have 150 K on my truck and I admite to Not changing the oil very often . Runs Fine great oil pressure .
Ive used a straight 30 weight , Orielly brand Since it was new .

Sooner Eclipse
9/28/2008, 09:27 AM
At 10 bucks or so a quart I say it aint worth it .
I have 150 K on my truck and I admite to Not changing the oil very often . Runs Fine great oil pressure .
Ive used a straight 30 weight , Orielly brand Since it was new .

Depends on what your doing and the application. Conv oil probably shouldn't go futher than 3K. Full synth can go 10-15K without damage to the engine. Lots of high end manufacturers are setting their maint schedules at 7.5K or higher and recommend (not require) synthetic. But, if you bring that car in to the dealer with 45K on it, receipts for oil changes w conv oil, and a sludged engine, the repair will likely be denied as improper maintainance.

The way they do this is these are schedules for maintenance under "normal" conditions. They then say maintenance for "severe" driving conditions require additional services. Under the parameters given most places in the US are considered severe driving conditions by climate alone much less the considering the driving habits of the driver.

The reason this is done is that the marketing depts for these manufacturers feel that one of the things people compare when shopping these cars is cost of ownership (maintenance). Claiming the normal schedule keeps the advertised cost low even though it doesn't apply to most people.

It really is cheap insurance given the cost of vehicles today.

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 12:32 PM
I do My own Repairs :D

Penguin
9/28/2008, 12:38 PM
Consumer Reports said there is no difference. Oil is oil is oil. Linky. (http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm)

They say save your money and change your oil every 7,500 miles.

soonerboomer93
9/28/2008, 12:53 PM
um, i change my oil when my oil life reading gets to under 20%

(which is right around the 7500 mile recommendation from honda)

Boomer.....
9/28/2008, 04:17 PM
Is the high mileage oil worth the extra $10 for older cars?

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 04:23 PM
Is the high mileage oil worth the extra $10 for older cars?

IMHO
Nope

Tulsa_Fireman
9/28/2008, 04:58 PM
And I'm sure Vet's seen this, in some older cars where the seals are a touch more loose than a new one, swapping out for synthetic can actually start a leak.

OUHOMER
9/28/2008, 05:11 PM
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/mineral-petrolium-oil-compared-to-synthetic/

ok. READ THIS AND TELL ME WHAT YA THINK

olevetonahill
9/28/2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/amsoil_articles/mineral-petrolium-oil-compared-to-synthetic/

ok. READ THIS AND TELL ME WHAT YA THINK

Bro I personaly dont Care what anyone uses ;)
The single Most important Factor In longer engine Life IMHO
was the switch to Unleaded Fuel.
Ive rebuild an engine or 2 :D
In years past when an engine had a 100k on it . It was Junk. Ive torn down and Rebuilt engines That were Cleana s hell with Little to NO wear on em since .
jes sayin

AggieTool
9/28/2008, 08:53 PM
Synthetic oil was invented by the Germans after our military starved them of natural resources.

It's the only acceptable lubrication for military gas turbine engines and other geared assemblies.

The molecular structure doesn't breakdown due to heat like fossil organic oil.

It can actually save your engine in the event it looses its cooling system.