PDA

View Full Version : I got into this argument with a Horn fan

stoopified
9/27/2008, 01:00 PM
who was giving me grief about OU having all those Texas players on OUr team.I said that is true ,we have a lot of Texans but Oklahoma has around 300 schools that play fotball and half of them(maybe a slight exaggerration) play 8man.I then went on to say Texas has around 10 times the number of schools that play football,where would YOU recruit?He starts yammering about how we can't win without Texas players and how almost all UT's players are from Texas.

I said WELL IF THAT IS TRUE THEN EITHER ONE OF TWO THINGS IS HAPPENING: 1)The 50% of OUr team that is from the State of Oklahoma is the difference between OU and UT OR 2) OUr 50 Texans are better than your 100.He just stared at me with this blank look and walked off.

CK Sooner
9/27/2008, 01:02 PM
The real question is why are they choosing OU over Texas :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2008, 01:04 PM
and why cant Texas win with Texas players?

hgarmorer
9/27/2008, 01:05 PM
Well as long as you didn't try to rip his sack off.

tommieharris91
9/27/2008, 01:31 PM
I think there are only 64 schools that play 8 man football in Oklahoma.

tigepilot
9/27/2008, 01:42 PM
Just remind him that their God and saviour was a Sooner.

SWFloridaSooner
9/27/2008, 02:05 PM
What you have to learn is that you can't argue with a Whorn fan. They do not have the ability to use reason and logic.

Wishboned
9/27/2008, 02:09 PM
Just tell him that Mexicans aren't the only ones who like to head north for a shot at a better life.

badger
9/27/2008, 02:26 PM
Just tell him that Mexicans aren't the only ones who like to head north for a shot at a better life.

:eek:

:D

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 03:29 PM
Doesn't OU have at least one commit from an 8-Man player for next year? NU has had quite a few 8-Man players make an impact over the years, as well. I don't think minimizing 8-man ball is the best way to make your argument.

Curly Bill
9/27/2008, 04:13 PM
My pat reply is the kids want to go play for a winner, how can you hold that against them, or us?

JLEW1818
9/27/2008, 04:16 PM
It shows that Stoops is a mental genius

Hublah
9/27/2008, 04:20 PM
Just tell him that he is Dumb...end of argument! It usually works for me...but it also helps that I am 6'5" and 280 lbs....:)

JLEW1818
9/27/2008, 04:21 PM
Don't be scared to throw some hits.

stoopified
9/27/2008, 04:22 PM
Doesn't OU have at least one commit from an 8-Man player for next year? NU has had quite a few 8-Man players make an impact over the years, as well. I don't think minimizing 8-man ball is the best way to make your argument.
One player out of 25 (in a recruiting class) is pretty minimal.I know 8 man players have played at OU but so few as to be statistically meaningless.Can you name one that has ever played at OU,I can't.I believe Barry said during his 16 years they only recruited 1 eight man player.

TH 91 There are two eight man classes (B & C) and I believe both have 64 teams. In any case the point I made was that the state of Texas has roughly 10 times the number of football schools as Oklahoma.Switzer himself made that point many times when asked why he recruited Texas so heavily.

sooner518
9/27/2008, 04:27 PM

Ronnel Lewis.

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 04:29 PM
One player out of 25 (in a recruiting class) is pretty minimal.I know 8 man players have played at OU but so few as to be statistically meaningless.Can you name one that has ever played at OU,I can't.

TH 91 There are two eight man classes (B & C) and I believe both have 64 teams. In any case the point I made was that the state of Texas has roughly 10 times the number of football schools as Oklahoma.Switzer himself made that point many times when asked why he recruited Texas so heavily.

Plenty of 8-man players go on to make an impact at the D-1 level. Nebraska has had quite a few. Recently, there was Scott Shanle who I believe is a starting LB for the Cowboys, there was also Dean Steinkuhler, the older Mackovicka brothers, Terry Connealy, Ken Mehlin, and a host of others. Rashaan Salaam played 8-man ball in High school. I believe KSU has had a few 8-man players make an impact over the years. My high school quarterback played for Air Force Academy and Wyoming. The population point is valid, but you can do without putting down 8-man players. Also, quite a few of the football playing schools in Texas compete at the 6 man level.

tommieharris91
9/27/2008, 05:04 PM

Those classes have 4 districts of 8 teams each. :confused:

bluedogok
9/27/2008, 05:11 PM
Texas can only sign (up to) 25 players out of the many thousands that finish high school every year. There are not enough D-I schools in the state to sign up all the top players, so they are going to go somewhere. Also, Texas doesn't recruit just Texas kids, Chris Simms came from New Jersey, Ricky Williams was from California and on the current roster they have players from Colorado (2), California (2), Missouri, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina and Saudi Arabia.

tommieharris91
9/27/2008, 05:14 PM
Texas can only sign (up to) 25 players out of the many thousands that finish high school every year. There are not enough D-I schools in the state to sign up all the top players, so they are going to go somewhere. Also, Texas doesn't recruit just Texas kids, Chris Simms came from New Jersey, Ricky Williams was from California and on the current roster they have players from Colorado (2), California (2), Missouri, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina and Saudi Arabia.

I hear Mack has that area cornered. :texan:

bluedogok
9/27/2008, 05:19 PM
I hear Mack has that area cornered. :texan:
It said his high school was Stony Brook, NY. I figure he is either a military or oil company brat.

Foster Vimont
6-4/230
Fr.-HS
TE
Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia (Stony Brook [N.Y.])

tommieharris91
9/27/2008, 05:38 PM
It said his high school was Stony Brook, NY. I figure he is either a military or oil company brat.

http://www.soonerfans.com/KaseyStuddard.pdf

Big Red Ron
9/27/2008, 05:46 PM
Two words for the guy...

Darrell Royal

tulsaoilerfan
9/27/2008, 07:57 PM
who was giving me grief about OU having all those Texas players on OUr team.I said that is true ,we have a lot of Texans but Oklahoma has around 300 schools that play fotball and half of them(maybe a slight exaggerration) play 8man.I then went on to say Texas has around 10 times the number of schools that play football,where would YOU recruit?He starts yammering about how we can't win without Texas players and how almost all UT's players are from Texas.

I said WELL IF THAT IS TRUE THEN EITHER ONE OF TWO THINGS IS HAPPENING: 1)The 50% of OUr team that is from the State of Oklahoma is the difference between OU and UT OR 2) OUr 50 Texans are better than your 100.He just stared at me with this blank look and walked off.

Did the guy just realize this fact? We've recruited Texas and got alot of great players from that state for over a half century

BudSooner
9/27/2008, 08:50 PM
Two words for the guy...

Darrell Royal

Heh, great minds think alike.:D

freshchris05
9/27/2008, 08:52 PM
Just tell him that he is Dumb...end of argument! It usually works for me...but it also helps that I am 6'5" and 280 lbs....:)

Got any eligibility left???

whats your bench, squat, and 40?

PDXsooner
9/27/2008, 10:38 PM
who cares where they're from. do they want to give ricky williams' heisman back because he's from california? if they don't like it they should recruit better.

CORNholio
9/27/2008, 10:47 PM
We could recruit Mexico if we wanted to. So what. Texas 2nd largest state and its right next door. It's not like the Okie players aren't pulling their weight. Bradford, Gresham, and Broyles are all from Oklahoma and are stars. Texas just wishes they could recruit nationally.

tulsaoilerfan
9/27/2008, 10:55 PM
We could recruit Mexico if we wanted to. So what. Texas 2nd largest state and its right next door. It's not like the Okie players aren't pulling their weight. Bradford, Gresham, and Broyles are all from Oklahoma and are stars. Texas just wishes they could recruit nationally.

Hell the best players in the state don't want to go there; why would anyone from New Jersey?:D

2k2 c5
9/28/2008, 10:30 AM
The real question is why are they choosing OU over Texas :D

It's easier to spell?

Sorry, really old joke....but I couldn't resist.

OK2LA
9/28/2008, 10:44 AM
It shows that Stoops is a mental genius

Is there another kind?

soonermagicgirl
9/28/2008, 11:20 AM
Doesn't he know Bob stoops recruiting pitch:

Why play for Texas when you can beat them?

Enough said.

SoonerShark
9/28/2008, 01:10 PM
Norman is closer to a lot of the kids' families as Austin is. Family ties to players are often in both states. OU has more football championships than all of the Texas upper division schools combined.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2008, 05:42 PM
Horn fans must have had a hard time deciding which of the two quarterbacks should have started in 2001: Applewhite (Louisiana) or Simms (New Jersey)

Right now, their starting QB (and probably the best player on their team) is from New Mexico being coached by a man from Tennessee.

Think about it: Applewhite, Simms, McCoy... none of them from Texas. And our starting QB is from Oklahoma. Heh.

OKLA21FAN
9/28/2008, 06:52 PM
just finish the argument of with this

"when OU crosses the Red River for the Shootout, the Sooners take no prisoners, cause OU has all the Texans they need!" :pop:

TXBOOMER
9/28/2008, 07:20 PM
The stupid fugga doesn't know they named their football field after a Sooner.

Sooner Suzie
9/28/2008, 09:32 PM
Remind him that more there are more Texans with OU national championship rings than there are with UT national championship rings. They came here because they had the best chance of winning it all, and it still holds true today.

Being born in Texas is an accident of birth. Remaining to stay there is a choice.

the_ouskull
9/29/2008, 05:02 PM
If Tejas was a better school; a better football program, then our kids would stay there. So what if we win with Texas players? Tejas can't. Someone deserves to. A better question would be, could Mack win with only in-state players if his "in-state" was a 1/10 of the size that it is now? Answer: No, 'cause he can't win with it as big as it is now...

Fine, ONE championship that Vince Youngderlic miracled his way into behind a really, really good defense, 'cause he sure as H*ll didn't outsmart the other team...

Trying to win an argument with a Whorn fan is like trying to talk a pregnancy test out of a positive reading... You can p*ss on another one, but the first one says what it says, and, right or wrong, it's not changing.

the_ouskull

Animal Mother
9/29/2008, 05:24 PM

So that's where Osama has bin hidin' ??!!??

47straight
9/29/2008, 06:38 PM
I like one of two approaches to this discussion.

1) Ask them why they can't win without players they steal from the University of Houston. Vince belonged to the cougars.

2) Ask them why they think they "own" players, and whether or not it is a good idea to speak of owning minority players.

JLEW1818
9/29/2008, 06:59 PM
Our 4 most important players are not from Texas.

Bradford
Loadholt
Murray
N. Harris

goodonya
9/29/2008, 07:05 PM
2-Things:

1) Does Texas have any players on their team from outside Texas?

2) Where else are those Texas high school studs going to get their championship hardware?

Focus on #1 and force the answer. (bet a beer first, you'll become an alcoholic)

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2008, 07:50 PM
If Texas players were truly better, UT would be beating OU more often than not.

Collier11
9/29/2008, 07:53 PM
The state of Texas doesnt necessarily have better talent, they just have more of it...the diff is in the coaching

bluedogok
9/29/2008, 09:32 PM
Horn fans must have had a hard time deciding which of the two quarterbacks should have started in 2001: Applewhite (Louisiana) or Simms (New Jersey)

Right now, their starting QB (and probably the best player on their team) is from New Mexico being coached by a man from Tennessee.

Think about it: Applewhite, Simms, McCoy... none of them from Texas. And our starting QB is from Oklahoma. Heh.
McCoy is from Tuscola, Texas which is south of Abilene. He may have been born in Hobbs, New Mexico (which is about 2 miles from the Texas border) but he grew up in Texas. I would hardly call him as being "from" New Mexico. My mother was born in South Dakota but she only lived there for a few months but grew up in Oklahoma for the most part. She is an Okie, not a South Dakotan.

I like to bring up the fact that two of the most successful coaches in their history have Oklahoma ties.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/29/2008, 09:39 PM
I like to bring up the fact that two of the most successful coaches in their history have Oklahoma ties.

A friend of mine's uncle proposed to his wife in the back of Mack's car when when he was OC here in 1984.

Anyone else find it odd (and suspicious) that the one year Mack was on staff here was the year of The Bull$hit Tie?

tommieharris91
9/29/2008, 10:12 PM
2-Things:

1) Does Texas have any players on their team from outside Texas? Yes.

2) Where else are those Texas high school studs going to get their championship hardware? From Vince Young and not Mack Brown.

Focus on #1 and force the answer. (bet a beer first, you'll become an alcoholic)

And I have no idea what you're trying to say in your last statement.

goodonya
9/30/2008, 07:08 AM
tommieharris, you must not live in Texas.

Mad Dog Madsen
9/30/2008, 08:40 AM
Ronnel Lewis.

FWIW. Dewar switched to 11-man this year.

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2008, 02:11 PM
If Texas players were truly better, UT would be beating OU more often than not.

Seen the series record lately...:D Sometimes it is just too easy.

Barry says... "H O O K 'E M"

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Brown%20and%20Switzer%20hook'em.gif

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 02:27 PM

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/Brown%20and%20Switzer%20hook'em.gif

Photoshopped!

;)

Big Red Ron
9/30/2008, 02:47 PM

Bookem

Darell K. Royal

Too easy.

Bradford (best off. player) and McCoy (best def. player) are both from OKC.

Next.

Hot Rod
9/30/2008, 03:31 PM
Photoshopped!

;)

Yep, they actually were at the Star Trek convention throwing their Vulcan signs.

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2008, 04:54 PM
Bookem says the Burlington Coat Factory.. or that anonymous Gas Station in Norman that just hands out gratuitous gas cards and keys. :rolleyes:

Bradford (best off. player) and McCoy (best def. player) are both from OKC.

Next.

Colt McCoy isn't from OKC.

CK Sooner
9/30/2008, 04:56 PM

Yes he is! :mad:

47straight
9/30/2008, 05:00 PM

What's funny, Lid, is that more often than not your quarterbacks do end up being one of our best defensive players!

sooneron
9/30/2008, 06:05 PM

Lately? Yeah, we have scoreboard and this decade covered. I would say that UTerus is pretty pwned "lately".

OKLA21FAN
9/30/2008, 06:27 PM

you guys won all those games before OU started winning the recruiting war in Tejas...........oh snap.

nevar mind :pop:

WestAustinSooner
9/30/2008, 07:04 PM
I always say that yes, we have a lot of Texas born players, but that has nothing at all to do with UT, since they didn't go there.

Big Red Ron
9/30/2008, 07:34 PM
What's funny, Lid, is that more often than not your quarterbacks do end up being one of our best defensive players!
The truth in this statement is especially true for tejas QB's. Gawd, I miss Chris Simms.:O

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2008, 10:07 PM
McCoy is from Tuscola, Texas which is south of Abilene. He may have been born in Hobbs, New Mexico (which is about 2 miles from the Texas border) but he grew up in Texas.

If he was born in New Mexico then he is from New Mexico. That should be simple enough to understand.

My mother was born in South Dakota but she only lived there for a few months but grew up in Oklahoma for the most part. She is an Okie, not a South Dakotan.

She is a South Dakotan. That is just as simple to understand as McCoy being New Mexican.

Big Red Ron
9/30/2008, 10:14 PM
If he was born in New Mexico then he is from New Mexico. That should be simple enough to understand.

She is a South Dakotan. That is just as simple to understand as McCoy being New Mexican.
Just as I'm an Italian (Army brat born off base) and have duel citizenship.

the_ouskull
10/1/2008, 06:47 AM
"Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful."
-- Proverbs, 27:6

Photoshopped or not, Barry's just suckin' 'em in, making Mack trust him again, and then BAM! It's another foot in Mack's *ss come October. That's how these things work, guys.

the_ouskull