PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman dies at age 83

Czar Soonerov
9/27/2008, 09:39 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/movies/ci_10576339

Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83

The Associated Press
Article Launched: 09/27/2008 06:56:20 AM PDT
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site333/2008/0927/20080927__ObitNewman%7E2_Viewer.jpg

In this Feb. 9, 1999 file photo, actor Paul Newman poses at his... ((AP Photo/Jim Cooper, File))
WESTPORT, Conn.—Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money"—and as an activist, race car driver and popcorn impresario—has died. He was 83. Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.
In May, Newman had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.
He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."
Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."
He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at
Advertisement
GetYahooAd('22651123575','www.mercurynews.com','30 0x250','ipbtf','20264501','movies, cinema, film, oscars, bruce, newman, box, office, academy, awards','fn_news','movies_article','Movies'); (http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15bbt8edr/M=600000874.600001600.400062007.400062007/D=ncentmv/S=2022775816:LREC/Y=PARTNER_US/EXP=1222533330/L=892ae2fc-8ca1-11dd-a283-a7f5406881e4/B=6jMFAEwNjZc-/J=1222526130994669/A=400001017/R=0/X=2/SIG=12pjf2abf/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3340.Centro/B3067060.3;sz=300x250;ord=1222526130994669?)http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=892ae2fc-8ca1-11dd-a283-a7f5406881e4&T=19fcvjjho%2fX%3d1222526130%2fE%3d2022775816%2fR% 3dncentmv%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_ US%2fF%3d1744549462%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMTMw IiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSI4OTJhZTJmYy04Y2ExLTExZGQtYTI4My1hN2 Y1NDA2ODgxZTQiIHNpdGVJZD0iMjExMDUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTIy MjUyNjEzMDk4OTE1MyIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfYmxhbmsiIA--%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6C6F0D4C&U=13kscr3k3%2fN%3d6jMFAEwNjZc-%2fC%3d600000874.600001600.400062007.400062007%2fD %3dLREC%2fB%3d400001017%2fV%3d2

home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie." With his strong, classically handsome face and piercing blue eyes, Newman was a heartthrob just as likely to play against his looks, becoming a favorite with critics for his convincing portrayals of rebels, tough guys and losers. "I was always a character actor," he once said. "I just looked like Little Red Riding Hood."
Newman had a soft spot for underdogs in real life, giving tens of millions to charities through his food company and setting up camps for severely ill children. Passionately opposed to the Vietnam War, and in favor of civil rights, he was so famously liberal that he ended up on President Nixon's "enemies list," one of the actor's proudest achievements, he liked to say.
A screen legend by his mid-40s, he waited a long time for his first competitive Oscar, winning in 1987 for "The Color of Money," a reprise of the role of pool shark "Fast" Eddie Felson, whom Newman portrayed in the 1961 film "The Hustler."
Newman delivered a magnetic performance in "The Hustler," playing a smooth-talking, whiskey-chugging pool shark who takes on Minnesota Fats—played by Jackie Gleason—and becomes entangled with a gambler played by George C. Scott. In the sequel—directed by Scorsese—"Fast Eddie" is no longer the high-stakes hustler he once was, but rather an aging liquor salesman who takes a young pool player (Cruise) under his wing before making a comeback.
He won an honorary Oscar in 1986 "in recognition of his many and memorable compelling screen performances and for his personal integrity and dedication to his craft." In 1994, he won a third Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, for his charitable work.
His most recent academy nod was a supporting actor nomination for the 2002 film "Road to Perdition." One of Newman's nominations was as a producer; the other nine were in acting categories. (Jack Nicholson holds the record among actors for Oscar nominations, with 12; actress Meryl Streep has had 14.)
As he passed his 80th birthday, he remained in demand, winning an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the 2005 HBO drama "Empire Falls" and providing the voice of a crusty 1951 car in the 2006 Disney-Pixar hit, "Cars."
But in May 2007, he told ABC's "Good Morning America" he had given up acting, though he intended to remain active in charity projects. "I'm not able to work anymore as an actor at the level I would want to," he said. "You start to lose your memory, your confidence, your invention. So that's pretty much a closed book for me."
He received his first Oscar nomination for playing a bitter, alcoholic former star athlete in the 1958 film "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Elizabeth Taylor played his unhappy wife and Burl Ives his wealthy, domineering father in Tennessee Williams' harrowing drama, which was given an upbeat ending for the screen.
In "Cool Hand Luke," he was nominated for his gritty role as a rebellious inmate in a brutal Southern prison. The movie was one of the biggest hits of 1967 and included a tagline, delivered one time by Newman and one time by prison warden Strother Martin, that helped define the generation gap, "What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate."
Newman's hair was graying, but he was as gourgeous as ever and on the verge of his greatest popular success. In 1969, Newman teamed with Redford for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," a comic Western about two outlaws running out of time. Newman paired with Redford again in 1973 in "The Sting," a comedy about two Depression-era con men. Both were multiple Oscar winners and huge hits, irreverent, unforgettable pairings of two of the best-looking actors of their time.
Newman also turned to producing and directing. In 1968, he directed "Rachel, Rachel," a film about a lonely spinster's rebirth. The movie received four Oscar nominations, including Newman, for producer of a best motion picture, and Woodward, for best actress. The film earned Newman the best director award from the New York Film Critics.
In the 1970s, Newman, admittedly bored with acting, became fascinated with auto racing, a sport he studied when he starred in the 1972 film, "Winning." After turning professional in 1977, Newman and his driving team made strong showings in several major races, including fifth place in Daytona in 1977 and second place in the Le Mans in 1979.
"Racing is the best way I know to get away from all the rubbish of Hollywood," he told People magazine in 1979.
Despite his love of race cars, Newman continued to make movies and continued to pile up Oscar nominations, his looks remarkably intact, his acting becoming more subtle, nothing like the mannered method performances of his early years, when he was sometimes dismissed as a Brando imitator. "It takes a long time for an actor to develop the assurance that the trim, silver-haired Paul Newman has acquired," Pauline Kael wrote of him in the early 1980s.
In 1982, he got his Oscar fifth nomination for his portrayal of an honest businessman persecuted by an irresponsible reporter in "Absence of Malice." The following year, he got his sixth for playing a down-and-out alcoholic attorney in "The Verdict."
In 1995, he was nominated for his slyest, most understated work yet, the town curmudgeon and deadbeat in "Nobody's Fool." New York Times critic Caryn James found his acting "without cheap sentiment and self-pity," and observed, "It says everything about Mr. Newman's performance, the single best of this year and among the finest he has ever given, that you never stop to wonder how a guy as good-looking as Paul Newman ended up this way."
Newman, who shunned Hollywood life, was reluctant to give interviews and usually refused to sign autographs because he found the majesty of the act offensive, according to one friend.
He also claimed that he never read reviews of his movies.
"If they're good you get a fat head and if they're bad you're depressed for three weeks," he said.
Off the screen, Newman had a taste for beer and was known for his practical jokes. He once had a Porsche installed in Redford's hallway—crushed and covered with ribbons.
"I think that my sense of humor is the only thing that keeps me sane," he told Newsweek magazine in a 1994 interview.
In 1982, Newman and his Westport neighbor, writer A.E. Hotchner, started a company to market Newman's original oil-and-vinegar dressing. Newman's Own, which began as a joke, grew into a multimillion-dollar business selling popcorn, salad dressing, spaghetti sauce and other foods. All of the company's profits are donated to charities. By 2007, the company had donated more than $175 million, according to its Web site.
Hotchner said Newman should have "everybody's admiration."
"For me it's the loss of an adventurous freindship over the past 50 years and it's the loss of a great American citizen," Hotchner told The Associated Press.
In 1988, Newman founded a camp in northeastern Connecticut for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. He went on to establish similar camps in several other states and in Europe.
He and Woodward bought an 18th century farmhouse in Westport, where they raised their three daughters, Elinor "Nell," Melissa and Clea.
Newman had two daughters, Susan and Stephanie, and a son, Scott, from a previous marriage to Jacqueline Witte.
Scott died in 1978 of an accidental overdose of alcohol and Valium. After his only son's death, Newman established the Scott Newman Foundation to finance the production of anti-drug films for children.
Newman was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the second of two boys of Arthur S. Newman, a partner in a sporting goods store, and Theresa Fetzer Newman.
He was raised in the affluent suburb of Shaker Heights, where he was encouraged him to pursue his interest in the arts by his mother and his uncle Joseph Newman, a well-known Ohio poet and journalist.
Following World War II service in the Navy, he enrolled at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, where he got a degree in English and was active in student productions.
He later studied at Yale University's School of Drama, then headed to New York to work in theater and television, his classmates at the famed Actor's Studio including Brando, James Dean and Karl Malden. His breakthrough was enabled by tragedy: Dean, scheduled to star as the disfigured boxer in a television adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's "The Battler," died in a car crash in 1955. His role was taken by Newman, then a little-known performer.
Newman started in movies the year before, in "The Silver Chalice," a costume film he so despised that he took out an ad in Variety to apologize. By 1958, he had won the best actor award at the Cannes Film Festival for the shiftless Ben Quick in "The Long Hot Summer."
In December 1994, about a month before his 70th birthday, he told Newsweek magazine he had changed little with age.
"I'm not mellower, I'm not less angry, I'm not less self-critical, I'm not less tenacious," he said. "Maybe the best part is that your liver can't handle those beers at noon anymore," he said.
Newman is survived by his wife, five children, two grandsons and his older brother Arthur.

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 09:41 AM
RIP, Mr. Newman. Hard to find a better actor, and even harder to find someone who gave back as much to society at large.

Cam
9/27/2008, 09:55 AM
Wow, I didn't realize he was 83.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/27/2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, I didn't realize he was 83.

me neither..RIP...you made some awesome salad dressing

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 10:04 AM
So long, Butch.

stoopified
9/27/2008, 10:05 AM
Damn,he WILL be missed.Not only a great actor but a great man.His company NEWMAN'S OWN has raised untold millions for charity through sales of food products.If I'm not mistaken the company is non-profit,solely created to benfit charitable causes.

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 10:13 AM
Damn,he WILL be missed.Not only a great actor but a great man.His company NEWMAN'S OWN has raised untold millions for charity through sales of food products.If I'm not mistaken the company is non-profit,solely created to benfit charitable causes.

One the articles I saw said that the Salad Dressing has raised around 250 Million for charity so far.

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2008, 10:20 AM
We should all eat 50 eggs in his honor

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 10:25 AM
We should all eat 50 eggs in his honor

You do that, and I'll go rob a Union Pacific train.

SoonerStormchaser
9/27/2008, 10:26 AM
I'm gonna have to watch his greatest film today in his honor...
http://www.southernvipers.com/movielinks/slapshot.jpg

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2008, 10:27 AM
SHE'S A LESBIAN, A LESBIAN, A LESBIAN!!!

Okla-homey
9/27/2008, 10:28 AM
One of the last of the bigtime "studio" actors.

bluedogok
9/27/2008, 10:39 AM
RIP to a great driver as well, at one time he held the track record at Hallett for the IMSA GTO class in one of his Nissan 300ZX race cars.

King Crimson
9/27/2008, 10:44 AM
RIP, Paul. Dang.

OUthunder
9/27/2008, 10:46 AM
RIP Mr. Newman, you were a great actor and make some fine spaghetti sauce.

Viking Kitten
9/27/2008, 11:01 AM
Yep... Sad. But then again, we should all be so lucky to accomplish in our lifetimes as much as Paul Newman did in his 83 years. He died surrounded by people who loved him. I can't imagine a better way to go out, can you?

proud gonzo
9/27/2008, 11:46 AM
RIP

limey_sooner
9/27/2008, 11:48 AM
Slapshot and The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean two of the funniest movies ever made for me.

I particularly like this clip from Roy Bean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNM64VP2JBw

Sooner04
9/27/2008, 12:19 PM
Mr. Gondorff, Mr. Cassidy, Mr. Dunlop, Mr. Newman, farewell.

Tailwind
9/27/2008, 12:23 PM
I met Mr Newman when I was 16 and he had come to my town to film a movie. He was a nice man and a great actor. RIP Mr Newman.

King Crimson
9/27/2008, 12:26 PM
time to move the Hustler into the netflix queue.

tulsaoilerfan
9/27/2008, 12:33 PM
We have lost one of the few remaining Hollywood Icons today;RIP Paul you were one of the greatest!!!

OklaPony
9/27/2008, 12:44 PM
time to move the Hustler into the netflix queue.

One of my all-time faves, The Hustler.

RIP

John Kochtoston
9/27/2008, 05:52 PM
Well, at least he won't be sleeping with old goalies anymore.

RIP.

Wishboned
9/27/2008, 10:11 PM
As great an actor as he was, he was 10 times that great as a person.

StoopTroup
9/28/2008, 01:23 AM
Rest in Peace Coolhand Luke.

mfosterftw
9/28/2008, 09:25 PM
Here's the obit out of Johnstown, PA, where Slap Shot was made...

http://www.tribdem.com/local/local_story_271204519.html

Newman touched city, ‘Slap Shot’ cast members
By MIKE MASTOVICH
The Tribune-Democrat

The movie world lost an icon and a humanitarian when actor Paul Newman died on Friday at age 83 after a battle with cancer.

Johnstown hockey fans also lost player-coach Reggie Dunlop of “Slap Shot” fame.

“He suffered long enough. The pain is gone. Such a great human. A great human,” said Steve Carlson, a former Johnstown Jets player and ex-Chiefs coach who worked with Newman in “Slap Shot.”

“His organizations have raised so much money for the kids,” Carlson added. “That’s what all his charities are, for kids. He’d never throw it in anyone’s face and say, ‘Look what I’ve done.’ It was his foundation but he was always quiet about it.”

The Oscar-winning actor often seemed larger than life with a handsome face and blue eyes that particularly piqued the interest of female movie fans. His characters still were cool enough and tough enough to earn the admiration of the guys, too.

He was a superstar on the screen, an activist and, for a time, a race car driver, away from it. His charity work raised more than $175 million. Newman, it seemed, was a giant. But, by most accounts, the low-key actor and his longtime wife, Oscar-winner Joanne Woodward, preferred to remain out of the spotlight.

Yvon Barrette, who played Charlestown Chiefs goaltender Denis Lemieux in “Slap Shot,” saw that side of Newman.

“He taught me the most important thing, and that was to enjoy the simple things in life,” Barrette said. “Because he was such a star he was unable to live normally like other people. He was always surrounded by thousands of fans asking for pictures. He had to live in seclusion.”

Barrette, who was 29 during filming, was able to help the then 51-year-old Newman brush up on his French, but Barrette learned plenty about acting from the Hollywood legend.

“It was fantastic for us as actors to be privileged to work with Paul Newman,” Barrette said. “He was showing us so much. He was such a gentleman.”

Barrette, who was known for asking in his thick accent, “Who own da’ Chiefs?” fondly recalls his interactions with Newman.

“I had some pretty good scenes with him,” he said. “We had a great time doing that movie together. To me it was a privilege.”

Newman made quite an impression on Johnstown and the North American Hockey League Jets during the spring of 1976. That’s when director George Roy Hill and Universal Studios filmed “Slap Shot” in the city. The movie, released the following year, still ranks as one of the best sports comedies of all-time.

In the pro hockey game, “Slap Shot” has taken on a life of its own. Players who weren’t even born when the film opened memorize and recite line after line from the movie.

Newman’s Reg Dunlop, Michael Ontkean’s Ned Braden, and of course, the Hanson Brothers – played by Johnstown Jets Steve and Jeff Carlson and Dave Hanson – will be forever young in the hockey game. The Charlestown Chiefs, a fictitious team playing in a fictitious league, are legendary.

Newman attended a couple Jets games late in the 1975-76 season in preparation for his role. His appearances in the press box overlooking the War Memorial Arena ice always created a stir. The actor, known as a beer drinker, also visited area establishments where he was received more like one of the regulars than a movie star.

“He treated everybody equal,” Carlson said. “On our days off from filming, when we would go out to places to have something to eat or a few drinks, he would buy a round and we would buy a round. He wouldn’t be a big shot and pick up the whole tab. He was equal.”

Newman’s willingness to offer constructive advice to hockey players taking their first shot at acting made an impact on Carlson. Newman wasn’t too big to listen when the hockey players had suggestions for the actors sometimes awkwardly performing on ice.

“We worked well together,” Carlson said. “We were 19, 20 or 21. We’re young kids, fun-loving guys. We had no clue on what to do and how to do it. He would pull us off to the side and say, ‘Try to do it this way. Try it that way.’ Vice versa, we were the hockey players. He didn’t know how to do something and he’d ask our advice. He wasn’t shy about that. He was a perfectionist. We’d do a scene five, six or seven times. He would do it seven different ways.”

Newman usually did it the right way, whether it was in “The Hustler,” “Cool Hand Luke,” “The Sting,” “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” or “The Color of Money.”

He certainly nailed the part of Reg Dunlop in “Slap Shot.”

“As a young actor, after a couple days of shooting, I remember having dinner with him,” Barrette said. “I was able to ask him a couple questions. He looked at me with such a Paul Newman smile. That was all the answers I needed. That was one of the greatest moments I had with him.”

We can take at least some solace knowing that Reg Dunlop will be there giving his infamous pep talk to the Hansons when we click the remote on our DVD or VHS players.

Newman has left many positive legacies throughout the world. In our little corner, Johnstown, he will be missed and remembered.

mfosterftw
9/29/2008, 10:53 AM
This is probably the best write-up I've seen - Stu Hackel of the NY Times (http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/27/hockey-mourns-the-passing-of-reggie-dunlap)...

Hockey Mourns the Passing of Reggie Dunlop
Stu Hackel

The Charlestown Chiefs announced today the passing of former coach Reginald (Reggie) Dunlop, who famously coached the Chiefs to the Federal League (http://slapshot.20m.com/logos/logos.htm) Championship in 1977.

Dunlop (aka Paul Newman (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/movies/28newman.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)) died Friday at his home in Westport, Conn. He was 83.

As player coach of the Chiefs in the mid-’70s, Dunlop presided over a rag-tag group of players (http://www.slap-shot.com/cast.htm) who were floundering near the basement of the Federal League when he engineered a remarkable turnaround that catapulted the club into the playoffs and, eventually, the league championship.

“This is a sad day for Chiefs fans around the world,” said former Chiefs General Manager Joe McGrath. “Reggie symbolized the never-say-die underdog spirit of our club that so many people around the world have come to identify with. Our hearts are broken today, but we are all better for having Reg in our lives.”

“Reggie was one of a kind,” said former Charlestown Bugle Sports Editor Dickie Dunn (http://dickiedunnwrotethis.com). “He was a wise veteran with a young attitude. We were good friends away from the rink and he always would give me inside information and scoops. I’ll miss him terribly.”

The exploits of the Chiefs have become widely known within hockey circles, both professional and amateur, through the film Slap Shot, which was based on the team’s miraculous reversal of fortune. Untold numbers of hockey fans, players, coaches and executives have memorized lines of dialog from the film (http://slapshot.20m.com/audio/audio.htm) and it is considered one of the best sports movies of all time.

Rarely has their been such a penetrating portrait of any sport’s culture and the depiction of this controversial era of hockey, the tumultuous 70s, remains a touchstone of hockey humor three decades later.

A disciple of what he liked to call “old time hockey,” Dunlop was a veteran near the end of his playing career when he hit upon a scheme to transform the Chiefs into a winning club. Taking a page from the successful NHL coach Fred Shero, Dunlap encouraged his players to use intimidation tactics as well as verbal taunts to upset the opposition, using the battle cry, “Let ‘em know you’re there!”

Key to this new approach was the acquisition of three young brothers, the Hansons (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/hockey/nhl/06/26/watn.slapshot/index.html), who wrecked havoc on the entire league in route to the title. Other players on the team, with the notable exception for former collegiate star Ned Braden, followed suit and the Chiefs began to steamroll the opposition.

Reached by phone, Braden — who had a mercurial relationship with his former linemate — was emotionally distraught upon hearing the news. “We had our ups and downs,” Braden reflected, “but Reg always had the best interests of the Chiefs in mind. In some ways, he was like an older brother to me and I credit him for saving my marriage that season.

“I’d like to think he’s up in heaven playing with his heroes, Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper and Toe Blake. He always said those guys were the real greats of the game.”

While not known to fans at the time, other players on the team began to embrace some unusual superstitions and other deviant forms of behavior, but Dunlop did not discourage them as they helped build team morale and the club kept winning.

The club, however, was in dire financial straits and its situation was worsened when it was announced the local steel mill was to be closed. Rumors abounded that the Chiefs would be sold to a group in Florida, but they turned out to be unfounded.

The championship game, played in Charlestown, was actually awarded to the Chiefs on a forfeit, when the opposition Syracuse Bulldogs captain, Tim “Dr. Hook” McCracken (http://www.slapshotfan.com/hook.htm), punched the game referee. Earlier in the season on a radio phone-in show, Dunlop had put a bounty on McCracken’s head, offering a bonus to any Chiefs player who would injure him.

Following the season, the original Chiefs folded and Dunlop secured a coaching job in Minnesota.

Dunlop is survived by his former wife, Francine.

Taxman71
9/29/2008, 01:47 PM
Hud and Cool Hand Luke should be owned by everyone.