PDA

View Full Version : Who cares waylt, this should be discussed

Miko
9/26/2008, 11:07 PM
is Peter Gabriel's "Sledge Hammer" the greatest song evar?

Discuss.

Unless you heard about Ronald Reagan from your parents. In which case just go back to your modern drivel.:cool:

GottaHavePride
9/26/2008, 11:09 PM
Ronald Reagan left office when I was 8.

Sledge Hammer does indeed rock, but I don't know if it tops Thriller.

Curly Bill
9/26/2008, 11:11 PM
is Peter Gabriel's "Sledge Hammer" the greatest song evar?

Discuss.

Unless you heard about Ronald Reagan from your parents. In which case just go back to your modern drivel.:cool:

Video was cool, the song itself was just OK.

JMO...but when it comes to music I say to each his own.

Lott's Bandana
9/26/2008, 11:12 PM
Not even PG's best song.

"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" pwns Sledge.

CrimsonandCreamForever
9/26/2008, 11:18 PM
Dave Matthews did an awesome cover of "Sledge Hammer" when he was here back in July.

Scott D
9/26/2008, 11:25 PM
Shock the Monkey was lightyears better than Sledgehammer, and nowhere near as good as In Your Eyes

Curly Bill
9/26/2008, 11:26 PM
Shock the Monkey was lightyears better than Sledgehammer, and nowhere near as good as In Your Eyes

Yep.

yermom
9/26/2008, 11:35 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060907/13135__say_anythiing_l.jpg

Lott's Bandana
9/26/2008, 11:37 PM
I will concur that PG doesn't get enough credit for his 4 decades of innovation and influence.

Michael Stipe thanks him.

Paul Simon and Sting thank him.

Certainly Phil thanks him.

Listen to Death Cab or Cold War Kids or many of the recent Indie groups and you hear Peter Gabriel evolution...

eZtZ9PmMJDg

Scott D
9/26/2008, 11:38 PM
maybe Gwar should thank him too ;)

Lott's Bandana
9/26/2008, 11:41 PM
maybe Gwar should thank him too ;)

Something tells me I should know what a Gwar is...:confused:

Scott D
9/26/2008, 11:44 PM
you're probably better off not knowing.

Lott's Bandana
9/26/2008, 11:47 PM
:P Good. I almost googled it/them.

King Crimson
9/26/2008, 11:55 PM
if i had to choose, i'd choose Huey Lewis and the News. Or some of the great stuff on Invisible Touch.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2008, 11:59 PM
:P Good. I almost googled it/them.

Some of their tunes are hilarious. "****in' an Animal" could be an Aggie anthem.

proud gonzo
9/27/2008, 12:12 AM
I did not write Sledgehammer. Y'all are getting confused.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 12:13 AM
rtiTZ2WS3Fg

GWAR reminds me of HR Puffinstuff.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 12:16 AM
I did not write Sledgehammer. Y'all are getting confused.

PG wrote Sledgehammer.

You writtith Screenplays. (and play drums)

LB ain't confoozed!

A Sooner in Texas
9/27/2008, 12:20 AM
I will concur that PG doesn't get enough credit for his 4 decades of innovation and influence.

Michael Stipe thanks him.

Paul Simon and Sting thank him.

Certainly Phil thanks him.

Listen to Death Cab or Cold War Kids or many of the recent Indie groups and you hear Peter Gabriel evolution...

eZtZ9PmMJDg

Sorry, but Paul Simon doesn't need to thank PG...Simon started bringing global influences into his music with Bridge over troubled water in 1970 - Cecilia and El Condor Pasa.
Two of my favorite songwriters and PG was my second-favorite concert after Springsteen's Born to Run tour.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 12:34 AM
Sorry, but Paul Simon doesn't need to thank PG...Simon started bringing global influences into his music with Bridge over troubled water in 1970 - Cecilia and El Condor Pasa.
Two of my favorite songwriters and PG was my second-favorite concert after Springsteen's Born to Run tour.

Interesting references...

"Oh Cecilia, you're breaking my confidence daily..." Serious question: what is the global influence here? The music? I haven't heard that song since 1970 so I can't really remember the tracks in the background.

I specifically remember PG going to Africa, returning and injecting the culture into his music, PS following shortly after and then Sting as well...regardless of which one influenced whom, they seemingly both don't get enough credit.

Did I do the whom properly?

A Sooner in Texas
9/27/2008, 12:47 AM
Interesting references...

"Oh Cecilia, you're breaking my confidence daily..." Serious question: what is the global influence here? The music? I haven't heard that song since 1970 so I can't really remember the tracks in the background.

I specifically remember PG going to Africa, returning and injecting the culture into his music, PS following shortly after and then Sting as well...regardless of which one influenced whom, they seemingly both don't get enough credit.

Did I do the whom properly?

^^^^ HA - I'm a writer by profession and I'm not even sure of that. :D

The rythyms in Cecilia were the global influence, though not sure where from. Maybe some latin america country? He also used latin rhythms on his first solo album.

Honestly, though, both PG and PS are brilliant. I don't remember when PG brought global sounds into his music but I remember when PS released Graceland. I think that and So were both in '86.

Anyway, both are two of music's best.

Rogue
9/27/2008, 06:41 AM
DMB's cover of it is really good.

King Crimson
9/27/2008, 07:01 AM
for African rhythms/"world beat" influence in American pop music, see David Byrne and Brian Eno's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts". 1981. 5 years before So and Graceland.

King Crimson
9/27/2008, 07:08 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Life_in_the_Bush_of_Ghosts_(album)

no offense to anyone, but screw Peter Gabriel and Genesis when he was with them. the most overrated band ever. they even give "art rock" a worse name.

nothing to do with my user name, but King Crimson is 10 times the proggy/arty band that Genesis ever was.

and they certainly never devolved into Phil Collins sing-a-longs. and played their instruments in all kinds of interesting ways, unlike Genesis.

So is not so great.

King Crimson
9/27/2008, 07:30 AM
and watch this: Graceland re-introduced Baby Boomers to "music"...and ever since they have way too much idea that they are the most relevant, culturally important people in the world. which is what baby boomers are all about, we are the most important people/demographic ever. gen x, gen y....all don't get how "authentic" experience was "back then".

whether it was a fake identity as a hippie (with a 401k and a great portfolio) or how to win the Cold War....Baby Boomers need to STFU about music. people who think a new Robert Plant/Alison Krauss record is good or pay the money to see the Eagles are morons. time has come and gone. lot of good music in the past, but the Eagles and Plant/Krauss aint it. nostalgia is a cruel master.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 08:45 AM

no offense to anyone, but screw Peter Gabriel and Genesis when he was with them. the most overrated band ever. they even give "art rock" a worse name.

nothing to do with my user name, but King Crimson is 10 times the proggy/arty band that Genesis ever was.

and they certainly never devolved into Phil Collins sing-a-longs. and played their instruments in all kinds of interesting ways, unlike Genesis.

So is not so great.

I disagree with Para 1.

I don't disagree with Para 2.

I completely agree with Para 3.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 08:48 AM
and watch this: Graceland re-introduced Baby Boomers to "music"...and ever since they have way too much idea that they are the most relevant, culturally important people in the world. which is what baby boomers are all about, we are the most important people/demographic ever. gen x, gen y....all don't get how "authentic" experience was "back then".

whether it was a fake identity as a hippie (with a 401k and a great portfolio) or how to win the Cold War....Baby Boomers need to STFU about music. people who think a new Robert Plant/Alison Krauss record is good or pay the money to see the Eagles are morons. time has come and gone. lot of good music in the past, but the Eagles and Plant/Krauss aint it. nostalgia is a cruel master.

Continued:

I totally agree with Para 1, although I didn't much care for Graceland.

I agree with parts of Para 2, but KC, we did win the Cold War...I spent 20 years of my Boomin life to help do it.

Oh, and I'm going to ACL tomorrow...and not to see Allison Plant. ;)

StoopTroup
9/27/2008, 08:50 AM
I win.

This is Shaggalicious Babay!

33k9pRTfo2I&feature=related

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 08:56 AM
I win.

This is Shaggalicious Babay!

33k9pRTfo2I&feature=related

Jessie Jackson gettin down, at 1:57.

StoopTroup
9/27/2008, 09:20 AM
:D

Cam
9/27/2008, 09:33 AM

Agreed. In Your Eyes is by far his best piece IMO.

royalfan5
9/27/2008, 09:37 AM
Solsbury Hill is also better than sledghammer.

Cam
9/27/2008, 09:57 AM
Solsbury Hill is also better than sledghammer.

Yes it is.

If it wasn't for the video, I don't think sledge hammer would have been nearly as big as it was. Then again, you could say that for quite a few songs.

OklaPony
9/27/2008, 12:41 PM

So is not so great.

Dang, that's a little harsh, isn't it? You're obviously a diehard KC fan but how about a little credit where credit's due? Even if you don't like Genesis you can't refute the fact that they've been monstrously influential in the development of popular music in general and its stage production specifically. 25-plus years ago their uncompromising pursuit of perfection in live production standards aided in the development of some incredibly innovative sound / lighting techniques and products that literally changed the entire category. Check out the history of VariLite / Showco... some very cool stuff.

http://www.vari-lite.com/index.php?submenu=About&src=gendocs&ref=About-Vari-Lite&category=Company&PHPSESSID=7fa92863f2d5a7370b7fe1f83eaf3fe2

As far as KC goes it's always been a group of stellar players, the term virtuoso is even accurate for most of them but, aside from Elephant Talk, it seems like they've pretty well been relegated to today's version of the cutout bin. I saw the tour with Pat Mastellato ('02?) and surprisingly found it a little boring. The opening act was John Paul Jones who was far more entertaining.

To be fair I was disappointed from the outset when I discovered there was no Bruford in the band and that may well have poisoned my perspective. Not that Mastellato isn't a good player but it always seemed like he was having to play at the very top of his ability in order to just get through each piece. Bruford could plow through all the KC meter weirdness like I used to plow through Cult songs and that's what I was really hoping to see.

A Sooner in Texas
9/27/2008, 02:25 PM

Yeah, we boomers - even the ones who weren't fake hippies with huge 401ks - don't know anything about music since all we had to listen to were the Beatles, Stones, Who, Dylan, Hendrix and on and on and on.
Stupidest comment I ever heard come out of an Xer's mouth was "The Beatles were the boy band of the 60s." But she also thought Madonna is a great singer.

SoonerJack
9/27/2008, 02:36 PM
Ronald Reagan left office when I was 8.

Sledge Hammer does indeed rock, but I don't know if it tops Thriller.

GHP is young and possibly misguided.

Sledgehammer tops Thriller by several orders of magnitude.

Enjoy your music, kids. Don't try to convince each other your music is better than theirs. It's a waste of pixels.

KC//CRIMSON
9/27/2008, 02:51 PM
Red Rain > Sledgehammer
Solsbury Hill > Sledgehammer

bluedogok
9/27/2008, 03:00 PM
I feel that most of the other PG songs mentioned are much better than Sledgehammer, it was a song entirely made by the video. Which was the case for many in the years that MTV actually played music videos.

Enjoy your music, kids. Don't try to convince each other your music is better than theirs. It's a waste of pixels.
Very true......I like what I like and could care less what others think.

Scott D
9/27/2008, 11:48 PM
Red Rain > Sledgehammer
Solsbury Hill > Sledgehammer

you forgot

caterwauling house pet > Sledgehammer