PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Concerns?

Rogue
9/26/2008, 10:54 PM
Our offense is solid. Rock solid.
Our special teams are doing fine.
D-Line gets great pressure and stops the run.
Hope they are as solid with the huge loss after the Huskey-thugs broke a bone while the PAC-10 officials conveniently missed the unsportsman like conduct going on during and after that play.

Behind the D-line...I'm not sure yet. In fact I'm a little worried about this secondary. I like that the backups are getting reps at nearly every position on this senior-laden team.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2008, 11:03 PM
you have more confidence in special teams than I do...

OU-HSV
9/26/2008, 11:04 PM
you have more confidence in special teams than I do...

Exactly. I'm still not sold on the kicking game and the kick coverage game

Rogue
9/27/2008, 06:57 AM
Well...keep in mind where I live. I went to Knoxville last weekend for the Florida/UT game. Tennessee didn't do 1 thing right all day on special teams. Not a block, a tackle, a kick, a punt, anything. Not once. The most collossal disaster I've witnessed in that aspect of the game.

So, are y'all not concerned with the secondary? I'm still hopeful they'll improve all year; a hallmark of most Stoops teams.

OU-HSV
9/27/2008, 08:19 AM
Well...keep in mind where I live. I went to Knoxville last weekend for the Florida/UT game. Tennessee didn't do 1 thing right all day on special teams. Not a block, a tackle, a kick, a punt, anything. Not once. The most collossal disaster I've witnessed in that aspect of the game.

So, are y'all not concerned with the secondary? I'm still hopeful they'll improve all year; a hallmark of most Stoops teams.

But we're on a whole different level than Tennessee. Tennessee is a cluster f*** of a team and they suck really bad. Their sloppy special teams play is expected at this point...ours should not be expected or accepted. We should be better than we've played on special teams to this point.

We should be playing better on special teams, whether it's wrapping up when attempting to tackle on kick cover teams, or kicking the extra points down the middle instead of this inconsistent left one time and right the next time and he's even missed at least 2. And can we please kick our kickoffs deeper as well?? I mean Mooreland rips into them every once in a while, but I can only recall a couple kicks that have gone into the end zone this year. Maybe I missed seeing a couple, but I don't think so.

I think for the most part our secondary has looked pretty good. I know what you're saying though, they could always improve. Our D line gets so much pressure on the QBs that I think that helps our DBs though. And because of the pace of the games this year with the no huddle and because we've been scoring fairly quickly...the D is on the field more, so we probably can count on every team hitting some medium passes on us(other than Tenn Chat of course). Just my thoughts anyways.

bstuff1979
9/27/2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not all that worried about special teams. That's something that needs improvement, but I am a bit concerned about the secondary. Mainly the corners. Nickleback has played alright, as have the safeties. The only thing that I've seen at the games that's raised some doubt are the corners. It could be something that's not really there fault, like a busted coverage because the sam lb thought he was playing spy while he was supposed to be playing zone in the flats. Either way, they've been burned a few times. It hasn't always led to a big play (vs. Cinci there wr's got very very open a few times while a pass would be overthrown or the front 4 would get to the qb), but against a better team it makes me uneasy.

oumartin
9/27/2008, 09:03 AM
My opinion on this secondary is they are playin' slightly more aggressive than in previous years under Venables, they are definately hitting harder than they have.
They are still not aggressive enough though. They need to recognize routes and jump routes or teams will throw the short stuff without fear of one being picked and taken back the other way. They seem so worried about getting beat deep.

Thats my gripe.
Play more aggressive. On occassion you will get beat but its a high risk/high reward defense that I miss.

Rogue
9/27/2008, 09:10 AM
LBs so far have looked better than I feared they might.

zeke
9/27/2008, 09:12 AM
Always a concern but they look to be better than previous years to me. Seem to be getting better every week too. But I'm not very impressed with the teams we have played so far. Time will tell.

Special teams need some improvement. I'd like to see kick-offs into the endzone at least on occasion. Mostly it would be nice to consistantly get to the returner and make the tackle.

stoopified
9/27/2008, 09:32 AM
On his last call-insow Bob STRONGLY rebuked a caller who suggested there are problems in the secondary.If Bob ain't worried,I ain't worried.