PDA

View Full Version : Is OU's team mature enough to hold the #1 ranking the rest of the year ???

Soonerus
9/25/2008, 11:38 PM
...USC was clearly NOTTTT!!!!!!!!!

A Sooner in Texas
9/25/2008, 11:41 PM
Are we mature enough to not ****ing worry about a #1 ranking right now?

guess not.

Wishboned
9/25/2008, 11:43 PM
I think last year when they were in control of their own destiny, and had the losses to Colorado and Texas Tech taught them a lot.

There is some good leadership on this team. I like their chances.

hyoctane23
Lawds I sure hope so!

Soonerus
Are we mature enough to not ****ing worry about a #1 ranking right now?

guess not.

sorry, but what does that mean ???

olevetonahill
All the way to #8

bcgvh
9/25/2008, 11:47 PM
sorry, but what does that mean ???

It means that we shouldn't worry about rankings right now, cause every team that gets caught up in the polls and media buzz gets blasted by some unranked team.

stoopified
9/25/2008, 11:49 PM
YES! Then again since I have crimson corneal lenses,what else can I say?

Soonerus
9/25/2008, 11:50 PM
Sometimes truly great teams hold down #1 all year...it is not always a jinx, sometimes it is an opportunity...I think OU this year is that type of team !!!

OUster
9/25/2008, 11:51 PM
Methinks we are about to find out...attitude reflects leadership. I don't think maturity will be the problem. It may be perseverance...or, in coach speak "playing one game at a time" It's a long season.

OUthunder
9/25/2008, 11:51 PM
USC SUCKS

FirstandGoal
9/25/2008, 11:52 PM
Situations like this are exactly why I wish they wouldn't have rankings until about October. Too many crazy things can happen over the course of a season and I will be the first to admit that it freaks me out just a little bit to already be ranked #1 this early on.

I do think that this team has the maturity to hang on, but I never would have predicted last year's loss to Colorado last year either.

Cheshire Bear.
9/25/2008, 11:53 PM
I think you guys absolutely are. This is not to say that you won't be tested. I don't think there are any walks in the park in the Big 12 anymore....but you guys are by far the best team in the conference. The only team that can beat OU is OU. You guys can handle the pressure.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/25/2008, 11:55 PM
I don't have a crystal ball but I think even if we lost one game we would make the title game now provided we win the Big 12 title.

I'm presuming the SEC champ will be one representative. I don't see Penn St or Wisconsin running the table in the Big 10.

It sure does shake out much easier though if we go ahead and win them all.

Crimsontothecore
9/25/2008, 11:57 PM
As great as it was to watch USC go down, it was also somewhat sobering to know that we still have to play teams much better than Oregon State.

Cheshire Bear.
I don't have a crystal ball but I think even if we lost one game we would make the title game now provided we win the Big 12 title.

I'm presuming the SEC champ will be one representative. I don't see Penn St or Wisconsin running the table in the Big 10.

It sure does shake out much easier though if we go ahead and win them all.

I don't know...After what Oregon State pulled tonight Penn State suddenly looks like a serious threat. They have a shot. As far as Wisconsin, no way. I was very unimpressed watching them against Fresno.

Sonner magic923
The only team that can beat OU is OU.

tell me where ive heard this before?

boomersooner28
9/25/2008, 11:59 PM
We don't have to worry about holding the #1 ranking. Whoever wins in the SEC each week will be "The Best Team Ever Assembled".

OUster
9/26/2008, 12:01 AM
It means that we shouldn't worry about rankings right now, cause every team that gets caught up in the polls and media buzz gets blasted by some unranked team.

Sorry Sooner brother...but I am with Soonerus in wanting to entertain the subject...why, you ask?(I anticipate you don't really care)...because our worries on this board have absolutely nothing to do with the teams attitude. The team doesn't take their cues from a bunch of overweight, undersexed, to-old-to-be-in-the club midnight snack types talking about the only thing their wives haven't castrated. If we can't speculate on this board and share our unfounded and idiotic fears, then what is the purpose of the board, by Cracky! "Cracky" by the way is the little known Greek god of lower back pain.
If we are not going to speculate about the team we love, then let's all speculate about the economy. Maybe we can come up with a plan no one will agree on.

birddog
9/26/2008, 12:05 AM
tell me where ive heard this before?

BOMMMMER!!!

SOONERnTx
9/26/2008, 12:05 AM
Who says we are #1 yet people, I would like to think we will be, but #3Georgia plays #8 Bama on Saturday. If georgia beats them easily, dont you think they would jump us?????

birddog
9/26/2008, 12:06 AM
Who says we are #1 yet people, I would like to think we will be, but #3Georgia plays #8 Bama on Saturday. If georgia beats them easily, dont you think they would jump us?????

i hope they do. i'd rather sit back at 2 and let georgia handle the pressure for a few weeks.

boomersooner28
9/26/2008, 12:08 AM
Jawja is gonna lose.

Soonerus
9/26/2008, 12:10 AM
I thought Bama played Clemson ???

SOONERnTx
9/26/2008, 12:14 AM

NOPE

Mile High Sooner
9/26/2008, 12:19 AM
Well... it certainly should help to maintain the focus which we seem to have lacked after winning the B12CG.

olevetonahill
9/26/2008, 12:20 AM

what you get fer thinkin :rolleyes:

Jacie
9/26/2008, 06:13 AM
I don't know...After what Oregon State pulled tonight Penn State suddenly looks like a serious threat. They have a shot. As far as Wisconsin, no way. I was very unimpressed watching them against Fresno.

If there is a downside to a SUC loss this is it. No way Penn State should get the glory, even secondhand, for what the beavers did last night. The game crew emphasized that all night, how it was a different team from the one that had a major meltdown at Happy Valley. Not different in terms of players but the environment was not the same and OSU and SUC play each other every year. It isn't like the trojans are a team to run a lot of trick plays or retool their offense every season. They have played Peteyball for sometime now and conference opponents don't have to study game film to see what they are going to do on offense or defense. The trick is for them to come up with the way to outperform a team that is going to have superior athletes at every position and in depth. That is what makes Oregon St's achievement worthwhile, David did beat Goliath. But Joe Pa doesn't get to be #1 because he whipped David earlier on his carpet.

adoniijahsooner
9/26/2008, 09:30 AM
Only K-State and the OSU game concern me, but I will go out on a limb and say we go into BIg 12 Championship undefeated.

birddog
9/26/2008, 09:35 AM
NOPE

it doesn't take long to check the sched...

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/alab-m-footbl-sched.html

The Maestro
9/26/2008, 09:48 AM
If we can't handle the pressure of number one we don't deserve it.

Personally, I want to be number one and win...and win...and crush teams...and keep winning...and run the table.

I want the record for most weeks at number one.

I want us to win the most titles.

And I want us to have players that have that mentality of walking down the hill and studding them all, if you know the saying I refer to.

It says a lot more to be on top and stay on top then to pull an aggie style upset from time to time. I want OU to have the swagger that says, "We are number one...we like it here...we are offended you are trying to take it away...now get ready to get your *** handed to you for getting in our way!!"

Soonermagik
9/26/2008, 10:43 AM

Personally, I want to be number one and win...and win...and crush teams...and keep winning...and run the table.

And I want us to have players that have that mentality of walking down the hill and studding them all, if you know the saying I refer to.

It says a lot more to be on top and stay on top then to pull an aggie style upset from time to time. I want OU to have the swagger that says, "We are number one...we like it here...we are offended you are trying to take it away...now get ready to get your *** handed to you for getting in our way!!"

That attitude worked well for SC and the Patriots. :rolleyes: Seriously, every week these guys must realize there is a traget on their back. The fact that they are #1 or #2 puts pressure on them, but everyone is gunning for the #1 team.

Humility and preparing like every game is the title game is the only way to win. Oh.... and catching a few lucky breaks too. ;)

My Opinion Matters
9/26/2008, 10:47 AM

You know, for once I actually agree with you.

My Opinion Matters
9/26/2008, 10:49 AM
That attitude worked well for SC and the Patriots. :rolleyes: Seriously, every week these guys must realize there is a traget on their back. The fact that they are #1 or #2 puts pressure on them, but everyone is gunning for the #1 team.

Humility and preparing like every game is the title game is the only way to win. Oh.... and catching a few lucky breaks too. ;)

You don't think teams are already gunning for Oklahoma? Rankings are irrelevant at this point in the season. The bottom line is though it feels good to open your morning paper and see your team at the top of the polls.

The Maestro
9/26/2008, 11:01 AM
You know, for once I actually agree with you.

WORLD'S COLLIDING!!! ;)

I will tell you why it is fun to be number one. When I went to the OU-Alabama game in Tuscy I was sitting there and when OU ran out on the field, sitting around Bama fans, I stood up and just held up one finger and pointed to it. I turned around and said, "That's all you need to know!!" THAT is a fun thing to experience...being THAT team!

KantoSooner
9/26/2008, 11:30 AM
I am not sure about the maturity level, but I'm getting a vibe from this team that is starting to remind me of what it felt like in 1985 and, earlier, in the mid-1970's.
The lads seem to be developing a very serious mindset.

I'm betting that TCU is just what they need right now to take things up a notch.

SoonerJack
9/26/2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry Sooner brother...but I am with Soonerus in wanting to entertain the subject...why, you ask?(I anticipate you don't really care)...because our worries on this board have absolutely nothing to do with the teams attitude. The team doesn't take their cues from a bunch of overweight, undersexed, to-old-to-be-in-the club midnight snack types talking about the only thing their wives haven't castrated. If we can't speculate on this board and share our unfounded and idiotic fears, then what is the purpose of the board, by Cracky! "Cracky" by the way is the little known Greek god of lower back pain.
If we are not going to speculate about the team we love, then let's all speculate about the economy. Maybe we can come up with a plan no one will agree on.

I don't care who ya are. That's funny stuff right there.

boomermagic
9/26/2008, 11:45 AM
We'll see.. That's what makes the game interesting.. It is up to the coaching staff to keep the team focused...

Soonermagik
9/26/2008, 11:52 AM
You don't think teams are already gunning for Oklahoma? Rankings are irrelevant at this point in the season. The bottom line is though it feels good to open your morning paper and see your team at the top of the polls.

I honestly could care less about being #1. I feel that being #1 inflates egos and some players stop fighting to get to the top of the mountain, because they feel they are already there.

My Opinion Matters
9/26/2008, 12:16 PM
I honestly could care less about being #1. I feel that being #1 inflates egos and some players stop fighting to get to the top of the mountain, because they feel they are already there.

This is such an untenable argument. Do you really think OU can fly under the radar? We'll get everyone's best shot whether we're ranked number 1 or number 4. If you can't handle the pressure of being number one you don't deserve to be number one. You don't know the collective attitude of the team. It could just as easily be spun the other way: "If you want to be number one, you have to come and take it from us." It would be reassuring to me as a fan if the team exhuded that sort of confidence.

birddog
9/26/2008, 02:41 PM

they did. the perception was that clemson was really good so when bama smoked em, bama shot up in the polls because they are in the sec. :rolleyes:

wishbonesooner
9/26/2008, 03:23 PM
I think we all hope Bob Stoops is recruiting players that want to get to the level that other great Sooner teams have gotten to. Playing under pressure, being willing to work harder than everybody else, that's the real legacy of Sooner football. If these kids aren't up to it, we need to recruit some that are.