PDA

View Full Version : The loudest Sooner game you've ever been to?

RoaminSooner
9/25/2008, 09:04 PM
I recall the loudest sustained noise I've heard at Owen stadium were 2 games in particular. The loudest instance in a game I can recall was a nausiating wall of noise- against Alabama in '02. We were playing catch up all game and were down 4 with something like 2 minutes in the 4th qtr. Defense was fighting, but the Tide kept rolling. It seemed all could be lost but Renaldo Works makes an incredible run off a shuttle pass- the run of his career.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ou-alabama-2002-miracle-run/2638801469

In the moments during and after that run the noise made my vision blur and my head crush...amazing

And here is how we followed it up...I just found this link, and in the comments section a Bama fan recalled it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Q13eyynXU

The other instance back in the day's before the remodel was our "return to glory year" coached by the drunkard../ - against Colorado. The fans were great this game, the fans were fired up by Rex Ryan's Defense but we weren't able to make a game of it. Again the noise made to back up the D on that day was nauseating...but I'll never forget that Bama game...great day to be a Sooner fan.

Boomer Sooner!

RoaminSooner
9/25/2008, 09:07 PM
I recall the loudest noise I've heard at Owen stadium were 2 games in particular. The loudest instance in a game I can recall was a nausiating wall of noise- against Alabama in '02. We were playing catch up all game and were down 4 with something like 2 minutes in the 4th qtr. Defense was fighting, but the Tide kept rolling. It seemed all could be lost but Renaldo Works makes an incredible run off a shuttle pass- the run of his career.

In the moments during and after that run the noise made my vision blur and my head crush...amazing

And here is how we followed it up...I just found this link, and in the comments section a Bama fan recalled it as well.

The other instance back in the day's before the remodel was our "return to glory year" coached by the drunkard../ - against Colorado. The fans were great this game, the fans were fired up by Rex Ryan's Defense but we weren't able to make a game of it. Again the noise made to back up the D on that day was nauseating...but I'll never forget that Bama game...great day to be a Sooner fan.

Boomer Sooner!

Cam
9/25/2008, 09:12 PM
OSU in 2003 (I think) on 4th down at the North end zone was probably the loudest I can remember. That was deafening.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/25/2008, 09:12 PM
I recall the loudest sustained noise I've heard at Owen stadium were 2 games in particular. The loudest instance in a game I can recall was a nausiating wall of noise- against Alabama in '02. We were playing catch up all game and were down 4 with something like 2 minutes in the 4th qtr. Defense was fighting, but the Tide kept rolling. It seemed all could be lost but Renaldo Works makes an incredible run off a shuttle pass- the run of his career.

Boomer Sooner!

This is going to sound weird but early 90's against Neb. We actually lost the game but we were a huge underdog and I think it was something like 17-7.

Neb game in 2000 was quite loud too.

Jdog
9/25/2008, 09:18 PM
Does anybody have the video for the first shovel pass to Works when they were deep in OU territory?

RoaminSooner
9/25/2008, 09:25 PM
it's linked in the post

setem
9/25/2008, 09:28 PM
Miami last year was the loudest I have ever heard that place.

Course I have only been going to games since 98 so...whatev!

Rogue
9/25/2008, 09:29 PM
2000 vs Nebraska.

Rogue
9/25/2008, 09:31 PM
Ummm....double thread post?

2000 vs Nebraska.
Still.
;)

soonergirlNeugene
9/25/2008, 09:32 PM
Ummm....double thread post?

2000 vs Nebraska.
Still.
;)

QFE, my dad actually gave himself a hernia yelling so much in that game :rolleyes:

Jdog
9/25/2008, 09:36 PM
Oklahoma vs Nebraska - think it was 79 - Billy's Sr year (Mine too). He was the last Senior introduced. I think it was Cumby who was introduced before him -- Cumby stops at around the 50 and looks back to the top of the old ramp and there was Billy. As soon as the students saw him they went 12th man. It was incredible. Sims ran down, did a jumping High 5 with Cumby and it was like lightning struck. The stadium didn't go quite for the rest of the day. That was a loud day!

CK Sooner
9/25/2008, 09:40 PM
nm

GottaHavePride
9/25/2008, 09:47 PM
My two loudest in Norman have already been covered: 2000 vs. Nebraska and 2002 vs. Alabama.

What about the loudest AWAY from Norman?

I think 2000 at KSU - for parts of the first half, at least. Suck it, A&M - you weren't even CLOSE.

sooner59
9/25/2008, 09:48 PM
I have gone to every game since 2003 and the loudest I have have ever heard were 4th and goal for OSU on the 1 yard line early in the 2003 Bedlam game, Reggie Smith scoop and score against Miami, and Lofton scoop and score against Mizzou both last year. Those are three times that it got so loud that I (also from yelling myself) got dizzy and fell from my row in the student section.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2008, 09:49 PM
I fixed teh dubble-thred.

;)

ouwasp
9/25/2008, 09:58 PM
the loudest moment in a game for me was last year when Lofton returned Daniels' fumble for a TD in the Mizzou game.

The north endzone sounded like jet engines were revved up!

hyoctane23
9/25/2008, 09:58 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't the 2007 game vs Mizzery pretty damned loud? I remember my ears ringing after that game.

Paperclip
9/25/2008, 09:59 PM
The loudest instance in a game I can recall was a nausiating wall of noise- against Alabama in '02. We were playing catch up all game

Well, that's not exactly true. We had a big lead and 'bama came back late to take the lead on a fake field goal and an onside kick among other things.

RoaminSooner
9/25/2008, 10:01 PM
I was at 2000 Nebraska and it was a loud one, but I wasn't nauseated. We took the lead early in the game and never looked back...but I did catch some pepper spray in the face ;) Red October - remember when A&M tried to set a world record against us in crowd noise one year?

GottaHavePride
9/25/2008, 10:03 PM
remember when A&M tried to set a world record against us in crowd noise one year?

And failed miserably? Yeah, I was there. KSU was louder that year. :D

SoonerStormchaser
9/25/2008, 10:04 PM
2003 vs. OSU...my ears were ringing for a day after that

RoaminSooner
9/25/2008, 10:19 PM
Paperclip...Your right, I just looked it up and we were up in the first half, but we lost Jason to a torn ACL and Hybl came in and played most of the 2nd half and we couldn't do anything to move the ball (just like '01). I now recall the helpless feeling as momentum had moved sooooo far on their side most of the second half and the shocking relief/release of Renaldo's 'miracle run'. Classic.

SOONERnTx
9/26/2008, 12:13 AM
last year OU-Mizzou and the lofton fumble ruturn for a TD it was Deafining, i couldnt even hear myself screaming!

Salt City Sooner
9/26/2008, 12:35 AM
I know he (& the OU offense as a whole) struggled in the 2nd half to say the least, but Nate had a HUGE hand in that '02 victory over 'Bama. In fact, it's my opinion that the 2nd quarter of that game was the best 15 minutes he played as a Sooner. He threw for over 160 yards & a TD, plus he ran for another score on a sneak set up by a long catch & run by Clayton. I would also add that he was operating with NO benefit of a running game whatsoever (Q & Kejuan combined for all of 15 yards) If he hadn't hit the ground running when White got hurt, all Works' heroics at the end would've done would have been to reduce 'Bama's margin of victory.

Paperclip
9/26/2008, 12:51 AM
This is going to sound weird but early 90's against Neb. We actually lost the game but we were a huge underdog and I think it was something like 17-7.

I concur with this. It was a Friday after Thanksgiving and we had no chance in the game, but the crowd was amazing that day. I remember one play when Peters got a sack and the noise was unreal.

Maybe for a whole game I'd have to go with 2000 Nebraska. For individual plays I'd say the Works shovel pass vs. 'bama, the Troy Johnson interception for a TD vs. OSU circa 1987, the Keith Jackson reverse vs. Nebraska, 1985. Heck, even the blocked FG vs. Syracuse in '97 was pretty loud.

Sooner_09
9/26/2008, 12:52 AM
Without a doubt OU-mizzou last year, it was so ******* loud! I hope we are every bit if not louder Saturday! We got some unfinished business on the field with the froggies!

OUTrumpet
9/26/2008, 12:58 AM
The final 2 minutes or so against Alabama. The shovel passes jacked up the crowd and then a 10ish yard run by KJ. Alabama starts driving, Bassey blitzes and recovers a fumble and *kaboom* as he runs 50 yards for a score.

The entire frickin game against Okie State in 2003. Had a friend that says he could he hear the stadium roaring inside his apt at the University Commons complex. Goal-line stand, completely shutting down that offense (too bad White had 2 ints for their scores), making that dumb :les: eat his words, and the Boomer Sooner chant pre-kickoff was incredible.

As for loudest away from home, 02 and 04 at Okie State and 04 A&M were pretty frickin loud. Didn't think Oregon was that loud at all...I think we were about 10-12 people across and I was on the aisle seat. Was able to hear people on the other side if they wanted something.

SoonerPr8r
9/26/2008, 01:05 AM
last years OU-mizzery game was the loudest I have ever been to. I felt the stadium shaking and could barely hear after the game

tommieharris91
9/26/2008, 01:26 AM
OU-Baylor last season.

Ohh, we're talking about football, nevermind...

Soonerus
9/26/2008, 01:45 AM
77 vs. Nebraska..

olevetonahill
9/26/2008, 01:57 AM
Every RRW Ive evre been to .;)

OUstud
9/26/2008, 02:23 AM
Home: OSU, 2003, goal line stand.

Any game I've been to: KSU, 2000, blocked punt in the 4th. It was so loud it didn't even sound loud, and I turned to say something to my dad and I couldn't hear myself speak.

ousooners182
9/26/2008, 02:28 AM
2 games.
ou alabama 2002..but not when works did the run..when eric bassey returned that fumble for a td

and also last year mizzou when lofton returned the fumble.
wow it was amazing!

ousooners182
9/26/2008, 02:29 AM
o yeah i just saw the post of the goal line stop was insane to..i remember gayron allen just running off like a little stud

MrJimBeam
9/26/2008, 05:20 AM
Home = 2000 Neb
Away = 2003 Bama

Rogue
9/26/2008, 05:40 AM
Oh, away game...Nebraska in 01 or 02 ish. The game when their QB caught a ridiculous pass for the go ahead TD. Louder than Kyle Field, but those Aggies get pretty loud too.

ousooners182
9/26/2008, 06:21 AM
OU-Baylor last season.

Ohh, we're talking about football, nevermind...

haha tony crocker with the 3 and the foul!!

AlbqSooner
9/26/2008, 06:36 AM
Away - Tuscaloosa '03. It got real quiet a few minutes later when we made the first down on the fake punt.:D
Home - '86? vs Nebraska; the Keith Jackson end around for a TD lit up the seismograph. Remember, that was before the addition to the east stands.:eek:

StormySooner-IN
9/26/2008, 07:13 AM
The only game I've been to was Utah State.

And I thought that was fairly loud.

Im guessing it will be a little louder this weekend for me? ;) :D

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
9/26/2008, 07:31 AM
I agree that the loudest road game was KSU in 2000. I still don't know how 58,000 people can make that much noise. I give them their props, second loudest thing I have ever heard. The first actually was at an OU basketball game. Don't remember the year, I think it was Ryan Minor's senior year, but Kansas came to town ranked 2nd I think. It was so loud that when I came out of LNC I couldn't hear a diesel engine running standing right next to it. I brought an airhorn and had it an arms length away from me and couldn't hear it. Loudest thing I have ever heard. That includes game 6 of the 92' series in Toronto when Joe Carter hit a home run in the bottom of the 9th to win the series. If we are talking about an OU football game, I really can't remember one that stands out. I was at the 2000 Neb game and yeah it was loud but it didn't stand out. I think the 99 OSU game was just as loud. When Thatcher returned the punt for a touchdown with around 2 mins left. That was loud

MrJimBeam
9/26/2008, 08:16 AM
I still don't know how 58,000 people can make that much noise.

Answer - Hate.

oupride
9/26/2008, 08:18 AM
Miami 2007

batonrougesooner
9/26/2008, 08:20 AM
Seriously...

Nebraska 2000 was the loudest that stadium has ever been.

Thread over. Go ahead and lock it.

sooner518
9/26/2008, 08:23 AM
agree with '02 Bammer. Bassey's return for 6 was absolutely out of control. I just remember yelling, hugging, high-fiving and jumping up and down with 80,000 people doing the exact same thing.

Also agree with 03 OSU. Just the pure hatred of Les Miles fueled the fire on that goal-line stand. The game wasnt even close but the crowd wanted those Pokes humiliated and the Sooner D did not disappoint.

Boomer.....
9/26/2008, 08:25 AM
OSU in 2003 (I think) on 4th down at the North end zone was probably the loudest I can remember. That was deafening.

x2.

I think it was 1st and goal from the 1 and we stopped them 4 straight times. Couldn't hear myself think. Amazing!

Sooner04
9/26/2008, 08:46 AM
'85 Nebraska - Watch the tape of #88 going for 88. Pandemonium.
'97 Syracuse
'00 Nebraska
'02 Alabamuh
'03 Oklahoma State
'07 Missouri

Sooner99
9/26/2008, 08:57 AM
2000 Nebraska - unbelievable game!!

Ears are still ringing and still hoarse from it! Also, it's the game when OU returned to the top of the polls for the first time in way too many years! Too bad my years on campus spanned the from the the end of Gibbs through Blake and Shnellenburger.

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/26/2008, 09:32 AM
1950 Texas A&M. Claude Arnold, Leon Heath, and Billy Vessels won it in the last minute. People were throwing chairs, purses, and programs into the air.

Jeronimo
9/26/2008, 09:35 AM

yes it was. this one gets my vote. i was in the north endzone for that one. it was louder than the set of downs against Miami on the north goal line last year too.

badger
9/26/2008, 10:40 AM
The last really loud game was Missouri last year at home. Anyone remember Josh Heupel acting like he was a student again trying hype up the crowd? :D

Boomer.....
9/26/2008, 10:46 AM
I already miss JJ standing on the benches and waving towels trying to get the crowd loud.

Sooner04
9/26/2008, 10:49 AM
1950 Texas A&M. Claude Arnold, Leon Heath, and Billy Vessels won it in the last minute. People were throwing chairs, purses, and programs into the air.
That must've been wild. I remember reading about that game. If I remember correctly, Weatherall misses the extra point that would've tied the game, but we got the ball back and scored at the very end.

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/26/2008, 11:05 AM
Sooner04 your facts are right. Arnold made a direct pitchout to Mule Train who took it in around left end.

landbandit
9/26/2008, 02:23 PM
The first game I ever went to was in 1981 and 2003 oSu was the loudest game I have ever been to. I had a radio with earbuds in my ears with the volume turned all the way up and couldn't hear what was being said...... The crowd sounded like a jet engine for the entire game. It didn't just get loud in parts or for goal line stands, it was so loud when the oSu offense was on the field that if you were not there it's really hard to describe. It was even loud when they were in the huddle.... If you were not at that game, imagine the loudest moment you have ever heard at an OU game and now sustain that for the entire game while the oSu offense is on the field...... Lynn Swan stood right in front of us doing his side line reporting... like 5 feet away... and you could not hear what he was saying....

2000 Nebraska was right up there with 2003 but I didn't hear / feel the anger in the fans like I did for the 2003 oSu game...... in 2000 we were all just extremely excited with what was going on. In 2003 for the oSu game, even the little old ladies that sat behind me were pis$ed and yelling crazy stuff at the oSu players. Our seats are right where the visitors enter and exit the field and people were roasting them.... There was an absolutley stunning blonde that sat up a row and to the right of us and she never ever spoke.... she just always smiled and was always very lady like. In the oSu game of 2003 she stood on her seat, dangled her keys and cussed like a sailor for 4 hours...... Heck we even did the wave while one of their players was laying on the field with trainers checking him out........ that was hilarious!

madillsoonerfan5353
9/26/2008, 02:34 PM
Reggie Smith scoop and score against Miami, and Lofton scoop and score against Mizzou both last year. Those are three times that it got so loud that I (also from yelling myself) got dizzy and fell from my row in the student section.

Me Too!

And the hit on Robinson that jarred the ball loose at the goal line!!! OSU 2007

King Crimson
9/26/2008, 02:37 PM
'85 Nebraska - Watch the tape of #88 going for

that was pretty amazing. i was sitting in my g-parents seats in the north endzone and sections 17-20 were going berserk because they saw the play (from behind) set up and Jackson with the ball a full second before the rest of the crowd (and most of the Nebraska D).

downfield blocking on that play is fantastic.

games i went to: the 79 game where Billy breaks the big 73 yarder (after 78, spit) was huge. and we cruise after that. 81, was also a loud, memorable game even though we lose. we have #1 Nebraska with the Gill, Rozier, Fryer crew on the ropes in Norman.

Miko
9/26/2008, 03:58 PM
Home - '86? vs Nebraska; the Keith Jackson end around for a TD lit up the seismograph. Remember, that was before the addition to the east stands.:eek:

That was what I thought of first. I remember feeling the stadim vibrate under my feet.

King Crimson
9/26/2008, 04:06 PM
That was what I thought of first. I remember feeling the stadim vibrate under my feet.

the replay is exactly the view me and my buddy had from section 19, row 30 something i think. watch Tillmon disappear out of the screen and re-emerge as the leading blocker for the last 30 yards or so. this was a home run play.

TrhHbUvaEic

fadada1
9/26/2008, 04:13 PM
loudest beginning of a game i can remember was the '91 colorado game. sick loud. not so much at the end of the game.

while i wasn't at the 2000 nebraska game, it was the loudest i've heard on the TV. had some friends say it was insane the whole game.

Sooner24
9/26/2008, 05:30 PM
My two loudest in Norman have already been covered: 2000 vs. Nebraska and 2002 vs. Alabama.

What about the loudest AWAY from Norman?

I think 2000 at KSU - for parts of the first half, at least. Suck it, A&M - you weren't even CLOSE.

I agree that the loudest road game was KSU in 2000. I still don't know how 58,000 people can make that much noise. I give them their props, second loudest thing I have ever heard. The first actually was at an OU basketball game. Don't remember the year, I think it was Ryan Minor's senior year, but Kansas came to town ranked 2nd I think. It was so loud that when I came out of LNC I couldn't hear a diesel engine running standing right next to it. I brought an airhorn and had it an arms length away from me and couldn't hear it. Loudest thing I have ever heard. That includes game 6 of the 92' series in Toronto when Joe Carter hit a home run in the bottom of the 9th to win the series. If we are talking about an OU football game, I really can't remember one that stands out. I was at the 2000 Neb game and yeah it was loud but it didn't stand out. I think the 99 OSU game was just as loud. When Thatcher returned the punt for a touchdown with around 2 mins left. That was loud

Without a doubt the loudest stadium I have ever been in was OU/KSU in 2000. It was loud for most of the game but when they blocked the punt and ran it in for a TD you could not hear yourself think. My son was yelling at me and I could not even hear what he was saying.

winnard
9/26/2008, 05:32 PM
When OU beat OSU 52-9. 2003? My first ever game to watch at Norman.
I had 50 yard line tix, they were free, and I've been spoiled ever since.
Probably in my top ten moments in my lifetime, and I'm a man, I'm 42.

winnard

boomersooner24
9/26/2008, 06:14 PM
I was at 2000 Nebraska and it was a loud one, but I wasn't nauseated. We took the lead early in the game and never looked back...but I did catch some pepper spray in the face ;) Red October - remember when A&M tried to set a world record against us in crowd noise one year?

We didn't take an early lead. I was only 10 years old, but I still remember it clearly. We were down 14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Then we scored 31 straight. I've been to every game since the beginning of 2000 and that was by far the loudest game I've been to. Everyone was going ****ing nuts! I remember oranges going EVERYWHERE. Even in the streets after the game. Missouri game last year takes 2nd place

StoopTroup
9/26/2008, 06:33 PM
Nebraska in Norman 2000.

Deafening

King Crimson
9/26/2008, 06:34 PM
We didn't take an early lead. I was only 10 years old, but I still remember it clearly. We were down 14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Then we scored 31 straight. I've been to every game since the beginning of 2000 and that was by far the loudest game I've been to. Everyone was going ****ing nuts! I remember oranges going EVERYWHERE. Even in the streets after the game. Missouri game last year takes 2nd place

correct, we went down 14-0.

in the original thread if it wasn't pointed out, we didn't trail the whole game against Bama. we took a big lead and then blew it in the second half.

Pirate Past Fifty
9/26/2008, 08:27 PM
correct, we went down 14-0.

in the original thread if it wasn't pointed out, we didn't trail the whole game against Bama. we took a big lead and then blew it in the second half.

Whatever--I was in the south end zone (when it was still bleachers) for the game of the century against Nebraska--that was loud. I was in the end zone for the game against Nebraska in the late 70's when it was a down pour on the field and snowing up in the press box--we had a chance to win, but they didn't call a pass interference in the end zone--that was really loud. I had even given a couple of Nebraska fans an extra plastic trash bag to help keep them dry. We Okies are like that--real quality!

Sooner04
9/26/2008, 09:01 PM
I was in the end zone for the game against Nebraska in the late 70's when it was a down pour on the field and snowing up in the press box--we had a chance to win, but they didn't call a pass interference in the end zone--that was really loud. I had even given a couple of Nebraska fans an extra plastic trash bag to help keep them dry. We Okies are like that--real quality!
'83. Spencer's leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHr60rAWs3s

Sooner1979
9/26/2008, 10:30 PM
2000 vs Nebraska.

I have been going to games a long time, and this game, was the loudest most sustained roar I have ever heard...I have heard games with louder peaks, but never that loud for that long...Wow...Still gives me goosebumps...

josh09
9/27/2008, 12:02 AM
For me, Miami 2007 and Bama 2002 were the loudest, but im sure if i had been at the Nebraska game in 2000 that it would have been up there too.

sooner59
9/27/2008, 01:09 AM
Looks like the consensus is OU/NU 1985, OU/NU 2000, OU/OSU 2003, OU/Miami 2007 (somewhat), and OU/Mizzou 2007. Im sure the older posters have heard some pretty loud moments/games, but these look to be the loudest in recent memory. I feel lucky to say I was at 3 of those games. Pure magic....Sooner Magic.

stoopified
9/27/2008, 10:16 AM
Nebraska game 2000,at least until the Huskers scored their 3TDs,then it was quiet enough to hear a marshmellow hit the turf.The place started rocking again when we rallied.

SoonerBacker
9/27/2008, 10:43 AM
As far as road games, this was the loudest one I've ever attended. The Mizzou crowd was something else, until this happened. Then, as Joe broke away, the Sooner fans went beserk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA&feature=related

soonersweetie
9/27/2008, 11:00 AM
2 games come to mind-

85 - OU/Nebraska - Keith Jackson's end around-north endzone was crazy!!!!

2000 - OU/Nebraska - i think i lost my voice that day. I was with my dad that day in the north endzone (he was 60) and I've never heard him (or the crowd) yell so loud. That was an amazing game!!!

OUBookbabe
9/27/2008, 12:42 PM
2000 OU/Nebraska, 2000 OU/texas-loudest 1/2 filled stadium ever!

Since71ASooner4Life
9/27/2008, 02:02 PM
It was pretty damn loud at the start of a certain game in Seattle a couple weeks ago , but then reality set in and the only noise was coming from the endzone seats were some real fans were