PDA

View Full Version : I was shocked, Ichiro in danger in Seattle Clubhouse

Collier11
9/25/2008, 06:37 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26888002/

Report: Teammates considered hurting Ichiro
Source said he feared some Mariners might 'go after' All-Star outfielder

Eric Risberg / APSome in the Mariners clubhouse think All-Star outfielder Ichiro worries too much about his statistics and not enough about the team, the Seattle Times reported.

Ichiro Suzuki is so unpopular in the Seattle Mariners' clubhouse that teammates considered doing physical harm to the All-Star outfielder earlier this season, the Seattle Times reported Thursday.

The turmoil on the team peaked in May as the team and Suzuki got off to a slow start, the Times reported.

"I just can't believe the number of guys who really dislike him," one clubhouse insider said, the newspaper reported. "It got to a point early on when I thought they were going to get together and go after him."

John McLaren, the Mariners' manager at the time, reportedly intervened when he overheard a player talking about Suzuki, saying he wanted to "knock him out." A team meeting was called, the newspaper reported.

In May 2007, then-manager Mike Hargrove also called a team meeting because of clubhouse bickering over Suzuki being a selfish player, the Times said.

This year, Suzuki became just the second player to reach the 200-hit mark in eight consecutive seasons, matching Willie Keeler's performance from 1894-1901. According to the Times, there are clubhouse complaints that Ichiro should have rested to heal injuries, and that he did not get to balls in right field that he should have because he cares only about piling up hits.

Another team insider said Ichiro should not be a scapegoat for the team's problems, the newspaper reported.

"He goes about his business, works hard, sets goals for himself and achieves them every year," the team insider said, the Times reported. "How is that selfish? With him, it isn't about the 200 hits. It's about playing the game the right way and playing it hard every time out."

Cam
9/25/2008, 08:51 PM
If the rest of his teammates would pull their load, they wouldn't be bitching. Ichiro goes out and does what he's paid for, period.

Collier11
9/25/2008, 10:15 PM
Thats what I was thinking

tommieharris91
9/26/2008, 12:52 AM
Yea, he really should work on his OPS, not his BA. Ohh, and Bill Bavasi sucks and should be the real scapegoat for the Mariners sucking.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2008, 10:15 AM
from what I understand, Hargrove quitting when he did had a lot to do with dealing with Ichiro..

Mixer!
9/26/2008, 02:05 PM
Dear Ichiro,

Please consider getting yourself traded to the Giants to help their fortunes.

Thanks,
M!

walkoffsooner
10/6/2008, 04:42 PM
Gay bashers

tulsaoilerfan
10/6/2008, 09:25 PM
Screw that, the Cubs need a lead-off hitter that can actually get on base; i will give them Fukudome straight up for Ichiro

tulsaoilerfan
10/6/2008, 09:26 PM
And i might even throw in Howry as well