PDA

View Full Version : blink

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 09:24 PM
So Chase decides I need a new credit card to replace one they just sent me a few months ago. The only change is that this one has "blink (http://www.chaseblink.com)". So what is this fantastic new technology? It's a special scanner that you can use to make purchases with your credit card. Because apparently swiping your card just takes too damn long. Whatever will I do with all the fractions of a second I save? :confused:

King Crimson
9/23/2008, 09:28 PM
i've got a "blink" chase card i don't really use too often, i've never seen a blink reader anywhere.

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 09:32 PM
i've got a "blink" chase card i don't really use too often, i've never seen a blink reader anywhere.

You must not be looking hard enough, because new places to use your convenient Chase card with blink are popping up every day! Use blink at gas stations, supermarkets, stadiums, even dry cleaners. Remember, you can use blink wherever Visa payWave and MasterCard PayPass are accepted.

King Crimson
9/23/2008, 09:35 PM
seems like an easy way for someone who's stolen your card to buy a flat screen or a tank of gas, to me. even less authentification is involved.

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 09:43 PM
seems like an easy way for someone who's stolen your card to buy a flat screen or a tank of gas, to me. even less authentification is involved.

The brochure and the web site keep talking about how secure it is, but I don't see a biometric scanner anywhere so I don't see how it's any more secure than a regular card. It's up to the store whether or not you have to sign a receipt or show ID, so I don't see how it's any different from a regular credit card at all. Except for the RFID chip that can probably be used to track us all from space.

47straight
9/23/2008, 09:47 PM
So, I'm not usually a tinfoil hat kinda guy... BUT.

This new technology will make it much easier to "skim" your credit card. The RFID chip is activated by an external magnetic force in the credit card reader. On a gas pump or retail checkout, this reader will be set up so that you have to get pretty close (inch or two) to get it to read.

However, it will be no time at all before Russian mob engineers build portable card readers with much stronger magnetic forces that would be able to read your card from your pocket a few feet away. Just like the RFID anti-theft device readers at the retail stores.

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah, maybe it's not so secure after all.

http://robert.accettura.com/blog/2007/04/02/getting-a-non-rfid-credit-card/

RFID doesn’t have a great reputation right now. There are some privacy and security concerns, such as an unauthorized party reading your credit card without you knowing. Think this is a tin-foil-hat mentality? It’s been done already.

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/23/business/23card.html?ei=5090&en=76401b1601fc06e3&ex=1319256000&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&pagewanted=print&pagewanted=print

I think I'm gonna cut the new card up and keep using my old one.

proud gonzo
9/23/2008, 10:07 PM
i thought this thread was about the malcolm gladwell book.

soonerscuba
9/23/2008, 10:20 PM
Whatever will I do with all the fractions of a second I save? :confused:
But I used electric scissors!

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2008, 10:20 PM
Cash, people.

GottaHavePride
9/23/2008, 10:23 PM
So, I'm not usually a tinfoil hat kinda guy... BUT.

This new technology will make it much easier to "skim" your credit card. The RFID chip is activated by an external magnetic force in the credit card reader. On a gas pump or retail checkout, this reader will be set up so that you have to get pretty close (inch or two) to get it to read.

However, it will be no time at all before Russian mob engineers build portable card readers with much stronger magnetic forces that would be able to read your card from your pocket a few feet away. Just like the RFID anti-theft device readers at the retail stores.

YEah, that's why some companies are starting to sell RFID-inhibiting wallets (translation - they make lead-lined wallets for your nookyoolar credit cards) HEh.

mdklatt
9/23/2008, 10:28 PM
YEah, that's why some companies are starting to sell RFID-inhibiting wallets

But they're probably manufactured in China and will give you buttcheek cancer.

yermom
9/23/2008, 11:39 PM
i thought this thread was about the malcolm gladwell book.

:O

and yeah, RFID is scary.

Mason. Jars.