PDA

View Full Version : As if you didn't have enough to worry about...

Okla-homey
9/23/2008, 07:36 PM
I get this from a colleague in East Tennessee. National road salt shortage this coming winter.

By Darius Radzius
Reporter / WJHL
Published: September 23, 2008

Higher fuel costs and increased demand are blamed for a shortage of the salt that's spread on your roads when the weather becomes icy. "If" communities can find salt, they're paying a whole lot more than last year.

Another commodity throws salt on already wounded budgets for some tri-cities municipalities. More than a dozen cities and towns like Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City joined Knoxville to bid out for road salt as they do every August.

"This year, no bids came back. We sent out another and it too was not returned," said Ryan McReynolds, Kingsport public works director.

That means road crews will be spreading what they have left from last year. When salt can be found, towns will shell out more than 160 dollars per ton-nearly three times last years price.

Kingsport has 1,300 tons of salt on hand, but on average use anywhere from 900 to 2,200 tons per year.

"Really the question was how comfortable we felt with the amount of tonnage we have on hand and how willing we were willing to pay a premium for this period of time," said McReynolds.

While smaller cities find themselves paying more for salt, county governments are breathing a sign of relief after getting their salt contracts earlier this year.

"As the old say goes, the early bird gets the worm," said Allan Pope, Sullivan County highway commissioner.

Sullivan County locked in their price this spring at $73 a ton and they have all the salt they need this winter. "We're at maximum capacity right now," said Pope.

Pope says salt manufacturers cut back on production after several warm winters, but last winter was rough up north. "The northern states did get a lot of snow. The DOTs and the municipalities are buying it up," said Pope.

Even those who escaped the price spike this time may not be so lucky next year if manufacturers don't step up production.

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 07:52 PM
Damn it, oil crisis, terrorism, financial crisis, Messicans invading by the millions, and now this...

...I gotta start building that bunker and setting in supplies, and ammunition, lots and lots of ammunition. When my supplies run out I'll need the ammo to go take other people's stuff.

(Insert evil laugh here)

JohnnyMack
9/23/2008, 07:57 PM
Meh, the morans around here just use sand anyways, nuthin' for us to worry about.

StoopTroup
9/23/2008, 07:57 PM
I'm calling Mrs. Dash...she'll know what to do.

KC//CRIMSON
9/23/2008, 07:58 PM
In other news, we have a surplus of Pepper!

Yee Haw!

Turd_Ferguson
9/23/2008, 07:58 PM
Damn it, oil crisis, terrorism, financial crisis, Messicans invading by the millions, and now this...

...I gotta start building that bunker and setting in supplies, and ammunition, lots and lots of ammunition. When my supplies run out I'll need the ammo to go take other people's stuff.

(Insert evil laugh here)Go see Jerk when you run out. He'll prolly give you everything with no gunfire at all:D

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 08:00 PM
Go see Jerk when you run out. He'll prolly give you everything with no gunfire at all:D

My arse, Jerk would shoot ya just for giggles. :D

Turd_Ferguson
9/23/2008, 08:03 PM
Meh, the morans around here just use sand anyways, nuthin' for us to worry about.Wonder what the morans around there used?
http://thump.net/2285538/taurus1.JPG

StoopTroup
9/23/2008, 08:08 PM
Structurally it's still a good car though...lol

Hot Rod
9/23/2008, 09:48 PM
Well, if Kingsport is good I'm happy. Gots some fam up that way. Plus, doesn't Rogue live near there?

SCOUT
9/23/2008, 09:50 PM
Where could we possibly find more salt...

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 09:52 PM
Where could we possibly find more salt...

teh walmarts?

King Crimson
9/23/2008, 10:03 PM
we are all gonna die!

i saw that article on yahoo.

Jerk
9/24/2008, 04:55 AM
I'm driving a snow truck this winter.
I hope we have an epic season!!!! Bring it on!!!:texan:

OUWxGuesser
9/24/2008, 02:01 PM
eh... too cold for salt in ND. No worries!

NormanPride
9/24/2008, 02:21 PM
What do you use, or DO you use anything?

Frozen Sooner
9/24/2008, 02:34 PM

Don't know about them, but up here we use sand and icemelt.

batonrougesooner
9/24/2008, 02:45 PM
I guess we better quit focusing on decreasing carbon emissions so we can warm the earth up enough so we don't need any road salt.

Problem solved.

Jerk
9/24/2008, 05:02 PM

Sand if it's a light snow or if it's falling slow enough to keep up with. When the ice comes and the SHTF, we use a salt/sand mix.

stoopified
9/24/2008, 05:51 PM

(Insert evil laugh here)Have I ever said that YOU are my best friend in the WHOLE world?

I figure it is never to early to suck up as the world collapses around us. :)

Curly Bill
9/24/2008, 07:03 PM
Have I ever said that YOU are my best friend in the WHOLE world?

I figure it is never to early to suck up as the world collapses around us. :)

I'll have to teach ya the secret knock so when you knock on the bunker door ya won't get blasted. ;)

...and oh yeah, you got any ammo? :D

Rogue
9/24/2008, 07:14 PM
I live in the Tri-Cities. This is TURBL.

Jerk
9/24/2008, 08:16 PM
I'll have to teach ya the secret knock so when you knock on the bunker door ya won't get blasted. ;)

...and oh yeah, you got any ammo? :D

The secret knock is a battering ram followed by a loud voice screaming, "Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms, open up!!"

The secret reply is, "No thanks! I already have enough supplies!"

StormySooner-IN
9/24/2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe i'll get some school delays this year.

heh, who the **** am i kidding. We've had near a foot of snow and ice, and no delays. Some (alot) of people I know have gotten in serious accidents trying to get to school, cause our superintedent-o is a beech. :mad:

OUWxGuesser
9/24/2008, 08:56 PM
Up here they just throw sand on some of the intersections. You pretty much learn to NEVER ever time lights and hold off on the green light till all the cars finish sliding through.

Ike
9/24/2008, 09:08 PM
Up here they just throw sand on some of the intersections. You pretty much learn to NEVER ever time lights and hold off on the green light till all the cars finish sliding through.

It'll be a fun winter in Chicago. We had this at the tail end of winter last year.

Nobody here knows what to do with ice on the road.