PDA

View Full Version : Stoops, Sooners focused on Horned Frogs

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 09:04 AM
http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com...-3445251.shtml

After rivalry win, Frogs prepare for Sooners
Reese Gordon
Issue date: 9/23/08 Section: Sports

The Horned Frogs never let rival SMU gain any momentum in Saturday night's game as TCU rolled 48-7 and made its first appearance in the top 25 since week one of last season. But one member of the defense said the team felt disappointed in allowing the Mustangs to score at all.

"Giving up that touchdown made us mad, but that's football," senior linebacker Jason Phillips said after the game. "As an aggressive defense, we are going to give up a big play every once in a while. But when that happens we have to let it motivate us and come back better for it."

SMU got its only touchdown of the game when freshman quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell tossed a 4-yard touchdown to Cole Loftin with 5:25 to play in the third quarter.

Head coach Gary Patterson said Saturday he thought the team played OK, but put the win in perspective.

"You get to 4-0 and there aren't many teams in the nation that can say that," he said. "We've got to get back to work and prepare for a really good Oklahoma."

The Horned Frogs have been aggressive on defense all season, and now rank No. 1 in the nation in total defense. TCU held Mitchell to 216 passing yards Saturday, intercepting him twice. The Mustang offense was even less successful on the ground as the Frogs held SMU to minus eight yards rushing.

"The last time we came here we got upset pretty bad," Phillips said. "For us to come in and play like we did (Saturday) was big. SMU has a pretty tough offense and they threw some new wrinkles at us that we handled pretty well."

SMU coughed up possession of the football one minute into the game when Frogs safety Stephen Hodge forced a fumble of Mustangs receiver Aldrick Robinson, one of three SMU turnovers. The fumble negated a first down for SMU, and the Horned Frogs drove 39 yards for a score, capped by a Joseph Turner 4-yard touchdown run. Minutes later, defensive end Jerry Hughes returned a Mitchell interception 24 yards for a touchdown to give the Horned Frogs a 14-0 lead with 9:15 left in the first quarter, a lead they never relinquished.

As the players left the stadium after the game, fans in purple chanted, "Beat OU." With the latest game in the win column, the team now sets its sights at No. 2 Oklahoma. But with TCU's win over SMU, the 4-0 Frogs will enter Norman, Okla., ranked 24 in the AP Top 25.

Phillips said the upcoming game against the Sooners will be a huge test for the team.

"The Sooners have great athletes at every position and their quarterback may be the best in the nation," Phillips said. "We're going to probably go at it a little harder this week in practice."

TCU was the last team to win in Norman and one of just two teams to win there since Bob Stoops became head coach at Oklahoma in 1999.

The Horned Frogs and Sooners are scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday. The game will be televised nationally on Fox Sports Net.

Briefly

The Horned Frogs welcomed back senior running back Aaron Brown Saturday, who missed the first three games for violating university policy. He rushed for 51 yards on 11 carries and caught four passes for 60 yards.

Sophomore quarterback Andy Dalton finished the game 16-25 for 210 yards with no passing touchdowns, but ran for 21 yards and a score. Junior quarterback Marcus Jackson led the team with 115 yards rushing, most of it coming on a 79-yard touchdown run with four minutes left in the game.

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks,,,

We have to be focused this week.. They are pretty darned good IMO...

OUrules
9/23/2008, 09:17 AM
This game scares the bejesus outta me......tell me why I should calm down someone!!!

bonkuba
9/23/2008, 09:21 AM
This game scares the bejesus outta me......tell me why I should calm down someone!!!

No need to worry......if we (ha....like I am on the team...haha!:D ) play the way we are capable of....nothing can stop us. I watched the entire TCU game (very painful). Not one time did I think......."Man I am worried about this team". I don't think Stoops will let the team overlook this (after what has happened to us as of late in Bowl Games, etc).

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 09:21 AM

Calm down.

We should beat them by 20+ if we play to our potential.

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 09:22 AM

This is our real test.. They have a good defense but we have a very good OL good rb's and a very good qb so we'll prevail.. Remember, We are at home.
If Ou is going to prove we are a national power Now is our chance.. Let's look at it as an oppurtunity to show everyone that we deserve our # 2 ranking..

BOOMER SOONER BABY !!!

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 09:24 AM
This is our real test.. They have a good defense but we have a very good OL good rb's and a very good qb so we'll prevail.. Remember, We are at home.
If Ou is going to prove we are a national power Now is our chance.. Let's look at it as an oppurtunity to show everyone that we deserve our # 2 ranking..

BOOMER SOONER BABY !!!

We have a better player than them at EVERY position.

That should make you feel good.

They may have a better kicker then we do though. :D

OUrules
9/23/2008, 09:26 AM
All my Gator buddies here in Fla. think this is a pushover game and that TCU is not that good. I keep trying to convince them otherwise. They think TCU has played nobody worth the crap and we should roll....

boomermagic
We have a better player than them at EVERY position.

That should make you feel good.

They may have a better kicker then we do though. :D

Yes, It does..

CK Sooner
All my Gator buddies here in Fla. think this is a pushover game and that TCU is not that good. I keep trying to convince them otherwise. They think TCU has played nobody worth the crap and we should roll....

Huh? :confused:

OUrules
9/23/2008, 09:31 AM
I'm just saying that I think TCU will give us a good game/test and they think otherwise.

stoopified
9/23/2008, 09:39 AM
OU will unleash the SOONER fury on TCU.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2008, 09:44 AM
unleash the fury...http://content6.flixster.com/photo/72/03/19/7203196_tml.jpg

OUMallen
9/23/2008, 09:46 AM

Grow a pair. They're a quality team, but come on...

DallasSooner87
9/23/2008, 09:53 AM
That D is pretty good, but 1) Who have they played? (nobody like us) And 2) Who do you try and stop on our team? We just have too many weapons for them to handle. They may keep it interesting for a quarter or a half, but after that I think we will roll.

Boomer

bosworthsteroidmafia
9/23/2008, 10:13 AM
I think we roll in this game for a lot of reasons. Stoops is great at creating motivation and I think he will play it up as a revenge game. Sam Bradford in his 2nd year is a far cry from a freshmen PT. We are loaded at every skill position and OUr defense looks dominant. Oh yeah, it's also a home night game.

OU - 56
TCU - 14

Widescreen
9/23/2008, 10:51 AM
Can you imagine what the TCU DC is going through to try to manage this?

Bradford
Gresham
Iglesias
Murray
Brown
Broyles

How do you stop that with his talent? We have too many weapons.

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 11:42 AM
I think we roll in this game for a lot of reasons. Stoops is great at creating motivation and I think he will play it up as a revenge game. Sam Bradford in his 2nd year is a far cry from a freshmen PT. We are loaded at every skill position and OUr defense looks dominant. Oh yeah, it's also a home night game.

OU - 56
TCU - 14

I feel like we will win but I doubt we score 50 against these guys.. We have looked fantastic in our first 3 games but that doesn't mean we will continue that.. We looked pretty darned good before the Colorado game last year.. Before the season started I am one who predicted we will win a NC this time.. I have seen nothing so far to change my mind but I do think we will have some close games at least 2.. I do think we beat Tcu by 2 Td's though..

mxATVracer10
9/23/2008, 11:54 AM
Wait, is this guy's name Reese Gordon or is this our favorite blind replay official Gordon Reese:confused:

GHOB SOONER
9/23/2008, 11:56 AM
I feel like we will win but I doubt we score 50 against these guys.. We have looked fantastic in our first 3 games but that doesn't mean we will continue that.. We looked pretty darned good before the Colorado game last year.. Before the season started I am one who predicted we will win a NC this time.. I have seen nothing so far to change my mind but I do think we will have some close games at least 2.. I do think we beat Tcu by 2 Td's though..

Cinn had a good little "D" but OU could have won 77-0.

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 12:01 PM

Explain

GHOB SOONER
9/23/2008, 12:31 PM
Explain

My bad. Rookie mistake. There is no rational explanation for 77-0. Cinn's D has done well, however, are E KY and Miami Ohio offensive performances actually telling? All the talking heads say they have a good D.

I do believe once OU reaches a half a hundred, the coaches as they probably should, begin to grind the clock and get it over. I sometimes wish we would just pour it on the way Nebraska and others did to us when we sucked in the 90's.

OUrules
9/23/2008, 12:37 PM
Glad to see all of you are confident. I am certain we will win as well. I just have this gut feeling that we will not crush them and it's going to be tense for a quarter and a half. Patterson is a good coach and has his guys limiting mistakes. But bottom line is that we have waaaay to much talent across the board. No turnovers always helps as well. BTW-when in the heck are we going to start running back punts like that little dude for the Gators?

swardboy
9/23/2008, 12:54 PM
Glad to see all of you are confident. I am certain we will win as well. I just have this gut feeling that we will not crush them and it's going to be tense for a quarter and a half. Patterson is a good coach and has his guys limiting mistakes. But bottom line is that we have waaaay to much talent across the board. No turnovers always helps as well. BTW-when in the heck are we going to start running back punts like that little dude for the Gators?

We'd rather leave yards for Sammie to rack up :D

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 01:00 PM

I would certainly take that score Saturday night but I doubt it..

TCU Penguin
9/23/2008, 01:28 PM
Calm down.

We should beat them by 20+ if we play to our potential.

I doubt it, gooner. We're talking one of the best defenses in college football history. How is Bradford's passing efficiency going to be when he is on his back all day?

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 01:39 PM
I doubt it, gooner. We're talking one of the best defenses in college football history. How is Bradford's passing efficiency going to be when he is on his back all day?

Shut up froggy

:D

silverwheels
9/23/2008, 01:44 PM

I wonder who this really is...

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 01:44 PM

I wonder who this really is...

Paris Hilton?

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 01:45 PM

Please ? Stop it my sides are hurting from laughing so hard..

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 01:51 PM

Oh my.

He is green?!

;)

silverwheels
9/23/2008, 01:59 PM
Oh my.

He is green?!

;)

I did that. I knew one of the spek freaks around here would say something.

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 02:04 PM
I did that. I knew one of the spek freaks around here would say something.

I was joking.

boomrsoonr
9/23/2008, 02:17 PM
I don't think TCU can hang with OU this year. I just hope none of our players get hurt in the process.

TCU Penguin
9/23/2008, 02:19 PM
Please ? Stop it my sides are hurting from laughing so hard..

You are just lucky that the game is being played in your disease-infested Norman. Otherwise, this game isn't even close.

BillyBall
9/23/2008, 02:19 PM

Heh...

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 02:24 PM
You are just lucky that the game is being played in your disease-infested Norman. Otherwise, this game isn't even close.

Listen Gayfrog,

this game will not be close..

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 02:25 PM

What kinds of diseases?

NormanPride
9/23/2008, 02:30 PM
We've had two weeks to prepare for this game. And we have a good history in revenge games.

TCU Penguin
9/23/2008, 03:58 PM
We've had two weeks to prepare for this game. And we have a good history in revenge games.

What kind of revenge? Did somebody steal your good tooth or is your sister cheating on you? I know both them things will make you Sooners mad!

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 04:02 PM
What kind of revenge? Did somebody steal your good tooth or is your sister cheating on you? I know both them things will make you Sooners mad!

I don't have a sister.

TripleOption14
9/23/2008, 04:25 PM
This will not be that big a deal. TCU's special teams are HORRENDOUS!!! They kicked two balls out of bounds on kickoffs and the kicker can barely get the ball to the 5 yard line when kicking off. This was all during their game w/ SMU!!

I predict that OU will have at least 1 kickoff return for a TD and maybe 2. Also, look for a some kickoffs to dribble out of bounds giving OU the ball on the 40. OU will work with a short field the majority of the day which is trouble for TCU. OU special teams has a big day on Saturday!! MARK IT!!!

This of course is assuming that OU will give up some points.

NormanPride
9/23/2008, 04:28 PM

At least we get to dance with our sisters, ya prude!

Widescreen
9/23/2008, 04:42 PM
I predict we'll block at least 1 punt unless TCU goes into that stupid max-protect formation. SMU nearly blocked at least 3 punts.

TCU Penguin
9/23/2008, 10:34 PM
This will not be that big a deal. TCU's special teams are HORRENDOUS!!!

We don't show our best plays before the big game. We purposely watered down out special team play selection.

Just you wait.

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 10:36 PM
We don't show our best plays before the big game. We purposely watered down out special team play selection.

Just you wait.

Your going down!!!

ratherthanlater
9/23/2008, 10:37 PM
We suck giant donkey balls and plan to do so after the game to make gas money to get home.
Just you wait.

Fixed that for you.

olevetonahill
9/24/2008, 02:56 AM
Fixed that for you.

Its all right Bros I turned Him Red
Now lets keep him that way .:rolleyes:

ousooners182
9/24/2008, 03:48 AM
Please tell me this is all a joke..the tcu guy

olevetonahill
9/24/2008, 03:58 AM
Please tell me this is all a joke..the tcu guy

That bastage shows every time we Play em .:mad:

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2008, 04:45 AM

We may end up scoring more than 55 points against this TCU team.

Lets take a real quick look at something....

Their schedule...

New Mexico national stat rankings...
Rushing offense: 61st
Passing offense: 106th
Total offense: 100th
Scoring offense: 97th
Rushing defense: 46th
Passing defense: 99th
Total defense: 79th
Scoring defense: 103rd

Stephen F. Austin is a D-1AA team...and they are worse than UTC!

Stanford national stat rankings...
Rushing offense: 68th
Passing offense: 108th
Total offense: 111th
Scoring offense: 79th
Rushing defense: 55th
Passing defense: 100th
Total defense: 84th
Scoring defense: 82nd

SMU national stat rankings...
Rushing offense: 119th
Passing offense: 18th
Total offense: 98th
Scoring offense: 80th
Rushing defense: 112th
Passing defense: 114th
Total defense: 119th
Scoring defense: 117th

Not exactly tough competition for TCU! Keep in mind there are only 119 D-1A or FBS schools.

Here is TCU national stat rankings...
Rushing offense: 12th
Passing offense: 96th
Total offense: 38th
Scoring offense: 12th
Rushing defense: 1st
Passing defense: 15th
Total defense: 1st
Scoring defense: 6th

OU national Stat Rankings...
Rushing offense: 18th
Passing offense: 7th
Total offense: 4th
Scoring offense: 1st
Rushing defense: 11th
Passing defense: 24th
Total defense: 10th
Scoring defense: 20th

My Prediction: OU covers the spread (which was 18 last I looked) easily.

OU 56
TCU 21

birddog
9/24/2008, 05:41 AM

i remember all the crap he was talkin in 05. that guy ran alot of great sooner fans off the board that night. we owe them!

:mad:

TCU Penguin
9/24/2008, 10:27 AM

I remember you, olive hill! :mad:

What are you going to do when my beloved frogs snap your home winning streak?

OUthunder
9/24/2008, 11:02 AM

heh

boomermagic
9/24/2008, 11:11 AM

Are you saying Wait I gotta laugh.. Ok,, Now, Are you saying you have one of the best defenses wait again,, Ok, In college football history ? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

OUrules
9/24/2008, 11:54 AM
The purple frogs are gonna be gigged. The talent level disparity is to much to overcome. Sorry sea critter......

Widescreen
9/24/2008, 11:58 AM
Penguin is having some giggles. :)