PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds leads from the middle

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 08:56 AM
By GUERIN EMIG, Tulsa World Sports Writer

NORMAN — There have been times during Oklahoma's first three games that Keenan Clayton has gotten, as he puts it, "mindboggled."

"I'll be out of it, " said Clayton, in his first year as OU's strongside linebacker. "But I know I can always look to one guy."

It's the same guy freshman weakside linebacker Travis Lewis looks to. The guy Lewis calls "the rock of the defense."

Ryan Reynolds. The same guy fans worried wouldn't make it to October in his first year at middle linebacker.

Reynolds isn't just surviving in his new job, he's thriving at it.

"I'm very happy with how he's managing things and leading out on the field," linebackers coach Brent Venables said. "He doesn't miss a beat out there."

That's evident by much more than Reynolds' 19 tackles, second to Lewis' 25 on the Sooners.

"Ryan's the one who puts me in the right place to allow me to make those plays," Lewis said. "He gets me lined up; he makes all the calls."

It isn't just Lewis and Clayton who benefit.

"People don't realize he orchestrates the whole deal," head coach Bob Stoops said of Reynolds.

"It's everybody in the front seven," Venables said. "They're starting to improve that way, but he's still helping."

It is a real luxury, having a player with bottomless aptitude in the middle of a defense. And while Reynolds may not pile up the 157 tackles that middle linebacker Curtis Lofton did a year ago, it would be foolish to underestimate him physically.

"You look at Ryan's 40, and you see a guy that runs a 4.7 or 4.8," Clayton said. "But he plays like a guy that runs a 4.4. Look back at the Cincinnati game."

Sept. 6, on a day no other Sooner could keep up with Cincinnati wide receiver/kick returner Mardy Gilyard, Reynolds caught him down the sideline after a catch and punched the ball loose for a near-turnover. He ran sideline-to-sideline both that day and again a week later against Washington quarterback Jake Locker, who is a 4.4 guy. He even knocked Locker from the game late in the second quarter.

"That's Ryan," Lewis said. "He's going to bring consistency, but he's going to bring the hat, too."

Not bad for a player who sustained ligament damage to his left knee in 2006, then to his right knee in '07.

"It's amazing to see a guy who has gone through what he has — surgery on both knees — and still be able to move like that," Clayton said.

The reason Reynolds didn't move as well as a weakside linebacker in '07 was he simply had not given himself enough recovery time. By this preseason, everything was fully healed.

Now, as TCU comes to Norman for Saturday's 6 p.m. kickoff, Reynolds is playing as well as he feels.

"It's a great thing to have," Clayton said. "A guy in the middle that leads the show."

CK Sooner
9/23/2008, 09:30 AM
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr291/rowdygainz/RYANREYNOLDS150.jpg

stoopified
9/23/2008, 09:56 AM
ryan Reynolds the Jason White of OU D.

sooner94
9/23/2008, 03:19 PM
Great move for him to the middle backer spot. Great leader out there on the field.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2008, 04:02 PM
:O ....I thought this was about Howzit.

OUMallen
9/23/2008, 05:58 PM
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr291/rowdygainz/RYANREYNOLDS150.jpg

Stud. Dude just LOOKS like a LB.

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 06:48 PM
After the knee dealios I'm glad he's having a good year.

ousooners182
9/23/2008, 07:10 PM
Yup i sure hope he holds up for the rest of the year...he will

goingoneight
9/23/2008, 11:19 PM
To be honest, without patting myself on the back... I predicted this and it's no surprise to me to see him doing well. He's one of those really smart guys who tackles well in open field and you're starting to see the leadership there as he's become comfortable and adjusted to the schemes. Even without the knee injuries, he wasn't ever thought to be a superb cover guy, and the middle role in BV's schemes is like they always coin it "the quarterback of the defense." You can look really good by just knowing how to line up and other guys around you playing well.

Keenan Clayton has been a pleasant surprise as well as Travis Lewis out there. They seem to do well covering tight ends, which is hard considering how much more they're being used in offensive schemes these days.