9/22/2008, 09:10 PM
September 26-28
Ziker Park, Weirdville

Lineup:

http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222135688.jpg

I'm there Sunday. Anyone else going?

King Crimson
9/22/2008, 09:35 PM
since when is Asleep at the Wheel in small font in Texas?

first on my list would be Roky Erickson.

bluedogok
9/22/2008, 09:48 PM
I have co-workers who will be there all weekend....I will be staying away from downtown and the campus area this weekend.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2008, 10:26 PM
I have co-workers who will be there all weekend....I will be staying away from downtown and the campus area this weekend.

Yeah, ut was supposed to be "bye-ing" this weekend, but Ike moved Arky to an already packed Aww-stin, so I changed my flight from Sat night to Sun morning so I don't have to deal with the moe's.

Curly Bill
9/22/2008, 10:36 PM
Del Tha Funky Homosapien

...Never heard of 'em, but I like that name. :D

Boarder
9/22/2008, 10:41 PM
Fratellis, Gogol Bordello, Old 97s, Vampire Weekend,

Farbeit for me to say something good about texas but that looks awesome.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2008, 10:43 PM
I'm planning on Black Keys, Joe Bonnamassa, Gnarls Barkley, Tegan and Sara and the Fighters...should be a good time.

M
9/23/2008, 10:18 AM
Won't be there this year, dangit. Have fun; looks like the weather will cooperate with you this year.

Taxman71
9/23/2008, 02:28 PM
If you see Back Door Slam, take a buddy.

silverwheels
9/23/2008, 02:37 PM
Del Tha Funky Homosapien

It's actually one guy, and he's an alternative rapper.

Good lineup this year.

Howzit
9/23/2008, 02:45 PM
Is Iron & Wine a Sam Beam solo deal?

SoonerProphet
9/23/2008, 03:02 PM
Del Tha Funky Homosapien

I'd go just to check out Del...he is a funky homospaien to be sure.

proud gonzo
9/23/2008, 03:44 PM
yeah, i saw that list a while back and REALLY thought about going. But I have stuff to do, i'm poor, and it's in Austin...

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 06:42 PM
I'd go just to check out Del...he is a funky homospaien to be sure.

I'd like to go, some of the other acts I actually have heard of, and some of them I even like. :D

9/23/2008, 06:45 PM
It's a good time. Anyone with the time and not too far away should probably go... not too much $$$ and a chance to see some great live music.

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 06:47 PM
It's a good time. Anyone with the time and not too far away should probably go... not too much $$$ and a chance to see some great live music.

What about booze and secks? Think a person could get any of that down there? ;) :D

9/23/2008, 06:50 PM
A young, single guy could get away with it... I'm not thinking much of a problem. And booze and smoke are all around you. Not too big into either, but it wouldn't take much effort.

Hell, maybe even an OLD single guy could get away with it. Just probably not with the gals you actually want.

Curly Bill
9/23/2008, 06:51 PM
Hell, maybe even an OLD single guy could get away with it. Just probably not with the gals you actually want.

:(

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2008, 09:58 PM

That's why I'm going?

SoonerStud615
9/24/2008, 01:53 AM
I'm there all three days. I'm pumped. I've only been to one day before, so it'll be an experience to go for the long haul.

Lott's Bandana
9/27/2008, 11:49 AM
I'm there all three days. I'm pumped. I've only been to one day before, so it'll be an experience to go for the long haul.

Any tips for a Sunday visit?

bluedogok
9/27/2008, 03:07 PM
I forgot completely about the game today and about 11:30 headed up to Altex on I-35 a few miles north of the campus. It had the usual backup at the river and just flew by the campus, I figured that it was a night game since there seemed to be little traffic around the campus but now I see the game is on.

The parking lots and sides of the service roads on Mopac for ACL fest was a bit crowded.

SoonerStud615
9/28/2008, 10:50 AM
Any tips for a Sunday visit?

Thats the day I went two years back. Basically plan on leaving an hour or two before the first band you want to see. It's going to be hot and crowded today, more so than the others. AND VERY DUSTY. This year has been bad as far as that goes. It was the driest September on record which means that everytime somebody takes a step, it kicks up a cloud. What I did yesterday and it helped a lot was take a Claritin, or Wal-itin if you're cheap; and then get a bandanna to cover your mouth with. But other than that, drink a lot of water, see bands you've never heard and enjoy the music!

def_lazer_fc
9/28/2008, 07:00 PM
i just saw spiritualized in dallas on thursday at the lakewood theater(?). awesome venue btw. their set was killer. fully electric set with a couple gospel singers and all. not to many chances to see em in the states so that would be my pick. and roky would be sick to see as well.

Lott's Bandana
9/29/2008, 10:22 AM
Still in Austin...great time yesterday, recommended to one and all. So well-run it reminded me of the military and was almost too corporate-like of course, but that is what these things have evolved to.

Stud was right, very dusty. Of all people, you'd think I would have had a bandana.

Pics to come upon return to the teepee.

SoonerStud615
9/29/2008, 05:07 PM
My pics here:

http://tinyurl.com/3hbnb8

Lott's Bandana
9/29/2008, 08:10 PM
Hey Stud, how was Yeasayer? I really like them and I missed them at Sasquatch AND ACL....shilt.

SoonerStud615
9/29/2008, 08:32 PM
They were good. We watched about half of them before heading to Vampire Weekend. But I enjoyed them a lot. Crazy bunch of guys they are...

bluedogok
9/29/2008, 08:53 PM
Glad y'all had a good time, it is amongst the top 3 events in town for economic impact (SXSW and the ROT Rally are the other two). Many in my office were out there all weekend as well.

When I went by Saturday afternoon on Mopac it didn't look too dusty but that was compared to two years ago. We have been in a drought condition for almost a year, they have been trying to maintain Zilker to a point where it wouldn't be as dusty as two years ago. Last year we had record rains and flooding in the spring and it continued until the end of summer so Zilker was pretty green, two year ago it was miserable because of drought and it was the same weekend that Hurricane Rita just missed Houston so we were on the "hot" side of the hurricane with temps around 103 all days of ACL Fest. It was so dusty that there was a haze all over central Austin and Zilker was in bad shape. The group that puts on the festival have pledged something like 400K towards irrigation to be put in after this years festival to help with keeping Zilker green.

Lott's Bandana
10/1/2008, 10:02 AM
Sunday pics:

Joe Bonamassa simply killed it...
http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222872704.jpg

Popper has lost some tonnage...
http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222872762.jpg

Gnarls...
http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222873104.jpg

Not too hot, but dayum dusty...
http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222872884.jpg

Tegan & Sarah...
http://www.quickpicturehost.com/images/qph-1222872965.jpg

Didn't get any Foo Fighters pics but Grohl was on my flight to Dallas the next day. Easy trip, much recommended. Sasquatch and ACL should be on your list of things to see and experience. Hittin 'em both again next year.

bluedogok
10/1/2008, 11:02 PM
Well, September 2008 went down as the third driest month on record. The rainfall for the month at Camp Mabry (a few miles north of downtown off Mopac) was 0.02 inches of precipitation. I think I read an article where they have already started installing sprinklers to help with the turf for next year.

47straight
10/2/2008, 04:56 AM
Well, September 2008 went down as the third driest month on record. The rainfall for the month at Camp Mabry (a few miles north of downtown off Mopac) was 0.02 inches of precipitation. I think I read an article where they have already started installing sprinklers to help with the turf for next year.

Not yet. They're going to close Zilker... rather, C3 Presents Park right after the trail of lights for 9 months to install the sprinkler system.

That's right. The crown jewel of austin public space has been reserved for more than half a year to make nice green grass for a private for-profit enterprise.

Lott's Bandana
10/2/2008, 07:35 AM
But isn't Austin famous for it's horticulture?