PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to beat Tulsa?

soonersam
9/22/2008, 05:51 PM
I'm looking at the TU schedule and the game in Fayetville looks very winnable after seeing Bama destroy them. If they catch a couple breaks they could be the "BCS Buster".

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 06:04 PM
I've been telling anyone that would listen (which at last count is my dog and the kid that stopped by selling popcorn for Boy Scouts) that Tulsa was going to go undefeated for weeks now.

StoopTroup
9/22/2008, 06:13 PM
Tulsa needs to work on their run game.

They are hell on ya in the air though...

We enjoyed seeing them destroy Los Lobos Saturday Night in the new Remodel.

They also need to work on Special Teams a little too.

Saw a few plays that went for quite a few yards that if they faced someone better than NM...they might need to get into a shootout to win the game.

I also liked the Red Throwback jerseys. :D

bringit
9/22/2008, 06:25 PM
Same question... who's going to beat South Florida?

badger
9/22/2008, 06:30 PM
Central Florida or East Carolina, perhaps? CHAMPEENSHIP GAME!!! :D

soonersam
9/22/2008, 06:56 PM

I think they're on the road at NC state this sat. Could be?

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 07:00 PM
Easy guys. People say this about teams with weak schedules every year. Tulsa and South Florida will lose at least 1 game each. Any takers?? If you want analysis on this topic, go to my post under the Big12 vs. SEC thread.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 07:02 PM
South Florida, games @ West Virgina, @ Louisville, @ NC State, @ Cincinnati

soonersam
9/22/2008, 07:16 PM
@ cinci could be the BuzzSaw

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2008, 07:44 PM

When did South Florida join Conference USA?

AlbqSooner
9/22/2008, 08:14 PM
I also liked the Red Throwback jerseys. :D

When did Tulsa wear Red in the throwback days? I always recall them being Blue and Gold - like the Boy Scouts ya know.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 08:14 PM
Easy guys. People say this about teams with weak schedules every year. Tulsa and South Florida will lose at least 1 game each. Any takers?? If you want analysis on this topic, go to my post under the Big12 vs. SEC thread.

You certainly think highly of your opinions.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 08:18 PM
Just stating the facts.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 08:21 PM
Just stating the facts.

You should research your facts a little more carefully.

Utah went undefeated in 2004.
Boise St. went undefeated in 2006.
Hawaii went undefeated in 2007.

That's just off the top of my head.

badger
9/22/2008, 08:29 PM
You should research your facts a little more carefully.

Utah went undefeated in 2004.
Boise St. went undefeated in 2006.
Hawaii went undefeated in 2007.

That's just off the top of my head.

Scratch Hawaii off the list :D

Bowl games count on the final record too :) The other two, however, had clean slates.

:mad: unfortunately.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 08:32 PM
Scratch Hawaii off the list :D

Bowl games count on the final record too :) The other two, however, had clean slates.

:mad: unfortunately.

We were talking about regular season records.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 08:41 PM
South Florida is in a way better conference. And Tulsa Just wont win out. Like I said I'm willing to wager on it, I like my chances. Are you saying BYU is going to go undefeated too? Shoot.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 08:42 PM
South Florida is in a way better conference. And Tulsa Just wont win out. Like I said I'm willing to wager on it, I like my chances. Are you saying BYU is going to go undefeated too? Shoot.

lol@ The Big East being better than anything

soonersam
9/22/2008, 10:07 PM
If BYU and Tulsa both go loss-less... BYU gets it or a 4 loss ND

bri
9/22/2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, BYU would get the nod due to being picked in the preseason as one of the potential BCS busters.

Even though Tulsa beat them two years ago. GO 'CANE!! :D

tommieharris91
9/23/2008, 12:14 AM

The Big East should just give their auto-bid to the Mountain West this season.

adoniijahsooner
9/23/2008, 06:36 AM
Yeah, BYU would get the nod due to being picked in the preseason as one of the potential BCS busters.

Even though Tulsa beat them two years ago. GO 'CANE!! :D

tulsa beat them last year in shootout.

sooneron
9/23/2008, 08:18 AM

WAY better? What's the second best team in the big east? srsly

Uconn had all it could handle from Baylor at home.
CIncy? Meh
Wva? They got housed and they have two losses already, yet some dumbass thinks they deserve a vote or two.
Louisville?

With that many question marks and not any good answers for them, it's not a very good conference this year.

OKLA21FAN
9/23/2008, 08:29 AM
all i know is that OKC won't beat TULSA!!!!!!! :pop:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2008, 08:30 AM
Urrbody knows the only team that could beat Tulsa is Tulsa...and it would probably take OT to do it

sooneron
9/23/2008, 08:34 AM
Urrbody knows the only team that could beat Tulsa is Tulsa...and it would probably take OT to do it

And 50 + completions!:texan:

looch
9/23/2008, 09:38 AM
In our online NCAA dynasty this scenario played out perfectly.

Tulsa won out. OU lost to Texas but won the big 12 against Mizzouri.

In the stupid video game Tulsa ended up playing USC and OU got shafted with just a regular BCS bowl.

If I remember correctly though, there was a ranked team toward the end of their schedule that they unfortunately beat.

(Of course the video game can't predict seasons, but every now and then it does hit it on the head. This is one that I don't want to come true.)

stoopified
9/23/2008, 09:50 AM
Tulsa loses IF they beat themselves,could happen to anybody.theOther way it happens is if their qb goes down.Sounds a lot like two of OUr losses last year.For that matter I think that is the ONLY way for OU to lose his year.

SoonerWally
9/23/2008, 10:35 AM
November 22nd...Roll Wave Roll.

ArkanSooner
9/23/2008, 10:50 AM
I go to school at the University of Central Arkansas, who plays Tulsa this weekend. I actually was on the team my freshman year, a defensive end who backed up Jacob Ford (now in his second year with the Tennessee Titans).

I may just be a homer, but I think we have a shot to at least give them a good game. Our QB, Nathan Brown, is a projected 4th round draft pick and has set basically every passing record in Arkansas collegiate history. So far this season he is 87 of 123 (70.7%), 1116 yards, 11 TDs, 0 INTs.

We also have a TE who is expected to be drafted, as well as a couple of DBs that may pick up as a free agent somewhere. The Bears are currently ranked #12 in I-AA, and have been ranked in the top 25 all but two weeks since moving up from D-II three years ago.

Not saying UCA will win, but I think they'll at least put up a fight this weekend. Go Bears! :)

47straight
9/23/2008, 12:35 PM
When did Tulsa wear Red in the throwback days? I always recall them being Blue and Gold - like the Boy Scouts ya know.

Tulsa's colors are blue, gold, and red. The red is mostly just a highlight now. However, back in the day the jerseys were all red. On a few occasions, Tulsa has come out in warmups in regular gear, then the coaches pass out the red jerseys after they head back in to the locker room. Crowd goes ape when they come out in the red.

bri
9/23/2008, 01:15 PM
November 22nd...Roll Wave Roll.

Good luck with that...Tulane is our bitch. :D

I was glad to see 'em pull the red jerseys back out, not to mention a little surprised. Coach Graham had gone on record as saying that he would never use them.

badger
9/23/2008, 01:22 PM
The rest of the schej:

09/27/08 vs. UCA Chapman Stadium 6:00 p.m. CT
10/04/08 vs. Rice (Homecoming) * Chapman Stadium 7:00 p.m. CT
10/11/08 at SMU * Dallas, Texas 7:00 p.m. CT
10/18/08 vs. UTEP * Chapman Stadium 7:00 p.m. CT
10/26/08 vs. UCF * Chapman Stadium 7:00 p.m. CT
11/01/08 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark. 1:00 p.m. CT
11/15/08 at Houston * Houston, Texas 7:00 p.m. CT
11/22/08 vs. Tulane * Chapman Stadium 2:00 p.m. CT
11/29/08 at Marshall * Huntington, W. Va. 2:30 p.m. CT
12/06/08 C-USA Championship Game TBA TBA

The three games I see them potentially dropped are SMU, Marshall and Central Florida. SMU and Marshall are only on the list because they're road games and all road games suck (see us vs. ISU last year) regardless of the opponent. The third, Central Florida, is all because of last year.

Just think... Tulsa vs. Texas Tech. What a matchup. What a disappointment that didn't happen this season. Ah well, sometimes ya just get a craving for a cupcake :D

JLEW1818
9/23/2008, 02:22 PM
Ya you know everything.

badger
9/23/2008, 03:37 PM
Ya you know everything.

I only know as much as history's dictated to me... and history dictates that road games are TUFF. TUff? TUff.

NormanPride
9/23/2008, 04:02 PM
I really had pegged Houston as the most difficult test the rest of the year. An offense that might be able to keep up, and enough talent on D to keep things interesting. Sumlin is a good coach, as well.

bri
9/23/2008, 05:01 PM
Central Florida is a shell of the team that beat us for the C-USA title last year, thanks to their all-world running back leaving early for the NFL.

We're good enough to win every game, and we're good enough to lose every game. That's why they all worry me. :D

Breadburner
9/23/2008, 05:08 PM
TU's schedule is weak weak weak....They should finish the season unbeaten....

BudSooner
9/23/2008, 07:37 PM
Nevermind.

bri
9/23/2008, 08:26 PM

See, here's the thing: It's hard to not have a "weak" schedule when you're not in a BCS conference. But one could point out that if you remove Texas and (generously) Tech from the equation, OU has a "weak" schedule as well.

Oh, wait, that would require stopping using the knee-jerk thinking that all "major" conferences are crazy powerful and all "small" conferences are weak and sucky. It's probably gonna be harder to win the Mountain West than it will be to win the Big Ten, ACC, or Big 12 this year.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2008, 08:29 PM

oh...I would cue bri but I m sure he has already responded

Widescreen
9/23/2008, 08:36 PM
See, here's the thing: It's hard to not have a "weak" schedule when you're not in a BCS conference. But one could point out that if you remove Texas and (generously) Tech from the equation, OU has a "weak" schedule as well.

Oh, wait, that would require stopping using the knee-jerk thinking that all "major" conferences are crazy powerful and all "small" conferences are weak and sucky. It's probably gonna be harder to win the Mountain West than it will be to win the Big Ten, ACC, or Big 12 this year.

You were doing so good until you said Big 12. The MWC is good but it's not as good as the Big 12 this year. Plus we have to win a championship game.

Breadburner
9/23/2008, 08:42 PM

So you're saying TU>OU....;)

bri
9/23/2008, 08:42 PM
Well, it's too easy to just say Big 10 and ACC. Everyone already readily admits those "major" conferences suck. But using the evidence provided on this very board, everyone in the Big 12 that isn't OU sucks, thus it's an easy conference to win.

Heh.

JLEW1818
9/24/2008, 11:16 AM
I only know as much as history's dictated to me... and history dictates that road games are TUFF. TUff? TUff.

haha that was not to you.

Collier11
9/24/2008, 11:25 AM
The MWC champ could beat the Acc Champ, The Big 12 has 5 teams that are top 15 so I would be careful saying that this isnt a strong conf...we had a few down yrs but last yr and this yr the Big 12 has proven that they are back

Echoes
9/24/2008, 12:10 PM
I'm proud of tulsa. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that such a small state like Oklahoma has 3 unbeaten D1 teams in it.. and probably will still after 5 weeks played. I hate the aggies, but Tulsa winning doesn't bother me, until it effects us.

sooneron
9/24/2008, 12:19 PM

KU didn't win a bcs bowl game last year? They're on the schedule.

Strongly disagree with the last part, too.

badger
9/24/2008, 12:48 PM
Kudos to Tulsa and everything, but why is OU's schedule that includes (potentially) three top 10 opponents considered "weak?"