PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Bowl suggestions?

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 02:50 PM
I've got tickets in hand for my first OU/TX game. What's the best place to stay? Best place to park? What time should I arrive at the Cotton Bowl?

MojoRisen
9/22/2008, 02:58 PM
I have always had a bus in or a ride that would drop us off. The place is a mad house with the fair going on.... You will have a blast..

Better get there very early... Also get into the game about 45 minutes early or you can get caught at the gates sometimes -

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 03:04 PM
I have always had a bus in or a ride that would drop us off. The place is a mad house with the fair going on.... You will have a blast..

Better get there very early... Also get into the game about 45 minutes early or you can get caught at the gates sometimes -

Are the busses offered by certain hotels? Or part of a charter group?

Taxman71
9/22/2008, 03:10 PM
For the 11 am kickoff, I recommend parking no later than 9:30 if you are driving. Get in the stadium early as stated above. Plan on walking around the fair after the game, very cool things to see and environment. Finally, soak it all up, it is the best event in sports.

soonervegas
9/22/2008, 03:24 PM
My favorite weekend of the year.

I would say get there by 8 am. (9 at latest) I like to watch the bands warm up and the buses roll in. (Ask someone they will show you where) It is quite a sight to see 10,000 fans converge on the buses to either praise or curse at the players. Plus you get to see an occassional drunk college student get beat down by the mounted police. I am a man of simple tastes.

Also if you plan on getting there at 9...I might find a route other than the highway.

KingBarry
9/22/2008, 03:41 PM

Aren't the new renovations supposed to take care of this long-standing problem? Lots more steps and such. I'm not saying "trust them," just wondering if that's what they are saying.

After all, they are snaxeT.

Taxman71
9/22/2008, 04:54 PM
Check on what time the gates open. IIRC, the main gates (North and East sides) didn't open before 9:30 or 10. I'm sure at least one of the gates near the stock barns is open early though.

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2008, 05:07 PM
Aren't the new renovations supposed to take care of this long-standing problem? Lots more steps and such. I'm not saying "trust them," just wondering if that's what they are saying.

Dart Rail line to the State Fair will not be in service until 2009.

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2008, 05:07 PM
I've got tickets in hand for my first OU/TX game. What's the best place to stay? Best place to park? What time should I arrive at the Cotton Bowl?

Are you a high roller and have some dineros to spend.. or are you looking to take it in on the cheap?

califsooner
9/22/2008, 05:13 PM
All good suggestions. As far as cruising the fair afterward, also a good idea since the start time is so early. Only bad thing, after a loss it's not so fun and the Whorn fans will def make sure of that as well!! Coming from someone who went there 5 straight years in the Gibbs days, pray to god for a victory or the whole trip seems ruined and your ready to head back to your hotel if not straight home. Good thing is, it's Mack Brown's UT team vs. our squad.....so plan on a great morning and even better rest of the day. Best atmosphere I've seen for any game college or pro by far!!!!

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 05:16 PM
I'm bringing the Squirt Gun

soonersam
9/22/2008, 05:17 PM
How nice is your car? If its worth more then your willing lose as part of the experience then you should leave it in the secured parking are of your hotel and take limo, taxi, hot air ballon, or bus. Fair Park area makes Cleveland look like Beverly Hills. Its like the NYC subway system, if you look straight ahead and dont ask anyone questions you'll be fine.

But serious, They got the best crack ever free with 20 dollar parking at the little white house across from the Tom Thumb store! But dont use the restroom!

Taxman71
9/22/2008, 05:23 PM
This late in the game, I would scour the area for a hotel room as they get full quick. Since you will likely drive to the game, I would worry less about being downtown, etc. and more on being close to what you want to do on Friday night. I stay fairly close to SMU so the taxi ride is short on Friday and it is an easy drive to the game on Central Expressway.

Parking at the fair isn't that bad. Just park in a designated parking lot rather than in front of someone's house on the street and you will be fine.

My Opinion Matters
9/22/2008, 05:36 PM
Are you a high roller and have some dineros to spend.. or are you looking to take it in on the cheap?

I'm definitely looking to spend as little as possible. The selection of what's available in the downtown area for hotels is pretty scarce from what I've seen. Baby J's Crack Shack and the Ritz-Carlton with nothing much in between. So I've secured a room at a chain hotel along the HWY 75 corridor, because I'll be coming from Tulsa. I'm thinking my hotel is a little too far away for a taxi to be affordable, so I'll be coming in from the North with hopes of finding parking in reasonable proximity. What kind of traffic should I expect along 75? And where's the best place to look for parking?

TexasLidig8r
9/22/2008, 05:54 PM
I'm definitely looking to spend as little as possible. The selection of what's available in the downtown area for hotels is pretty scarce from what I've seen. Baby J's Crack Shack and the Ritz-Carlton with nothing much in between. So I've secured a room at a chain hotel along the HWY 75 corridor, because I'll be coming from Tulsa. I'm thinking my hotel is a little too far away for a taxi to be affordable, so I'll be coming in from the North with hopes of finding parking in reasonable proximity. What kind of traffic should I expect along 75? And where's the best place to look for parking?

It will be wall to wall hillbillies on 75 as you approach downtown and going on to the I30 turn to go to Fair Park by exiting Second Avenue. Literally.... If you go that route, plan on at least an hour more than what you expect. :eek:

StoopTroup
9/22/2008, 06:18 PM
I like the Stoneleigh in Dallas.

It's an old Hotel that has been updated and is a very nice place to stay IMO.

The windows in this place are huge...the kind you could crawl out on the ledge and walk around the building type of big.

It is pricey but if you stay overnight the day of the game...you can watch whornfans jump to their deaths after the loss. :D ;)

http://www.stoneleighhotel.com/ (http://www.stoneleighhotel.com/)

MojoRisen
9/22/2008, 07:31 PM

That would be cool if it did, I am not sure. I did however get caught one year behind at least 4500 Saxet fans and I was the only OU guy tryng to get in. They were all staring at me ready to likely start some shiate. I had met a girl down there from Texas St something and was buying her beer - I gave her a tongue kiss and said to the crowd how about those Texas woman - and they difused and started laughing. I was seriously concerned though and missed about 6 minutes of the damn game trying to get in..

Taxman71
9/23/2008, 09:09 AM
It will be wall to wall hillbillies on 75 as you approach downtown and going on to the I30 turn to go to Fair Park by exiting Second Avenue. Literally.... If you go that route, plan on at least an hour more than what you expect. :eek:

I have driven that route to the game nearly every year for the last 15 and it isn't that bad. Trick is to never get on I-30. Exit downtown and take an eastbound round (Commerce, Malcolm X, etc.) to Fair Park. It gets a little congested a few miles north of downtown, but not horrid.

I would definitely recommend getting there as soon as possible since it is an 11 am kickoff as everyone will be arriving at the same time.

OUrules
9/23/2008, 09:23 AM
Take a rental or your car and park on Commerce street. You can park for free if you get there early enough. (by 8:00 at the latest). If not, there are plenty of lots right off of Commerce that charge 20 beans....we tailgate right on Commerce and have done so for 10 years. Leave at 10:30 and make it into the stadium no problem....

Landsooner
9/24/2008, 02:24 PM
Take a rental or your car and park on Commerce street. You can park for free if you get there early enough. (by 8:00 at the latest). If not, there are plenty of lots right off of Commerce that charge 20 beans....we tailgate right on Commerce and have done so for 10 years. Leave at 10:30 and make it into the stadium no problem....

dude, if you can make it from a Commerce Street parking spot to your seat in 30 minutes without any problem, you've got something special going on ... as for me (or for My Opinion Matters), this is not something I'd be comfortable attempting; Commerce Street is a bit of a hike to the stadium, then you've got lines to maneuver just to get into the fair, then more lines to get into the stadium, plus you've got an extra 10 or 12 thousand fans this year ...

for the initial poster:

1. I'd recommend leaving your hotel at no later than 8:30 am as you're a first-timer and you won't be familiar with the setup

2. take 75 south towards downtown, but stay in the left lanes as much as possible; don't worry when you see long lines of cars attempting to exit 75 as you approach the I-30/I-45 interchange

3. do not take the first Fair Park exit, just stay in your left lanes and drive around the massive traffic jam as others are exiting (can't emphasize this enough ...)

4. look for the exit marked "Martin Luther King Jr Blvd" and make your way over to the right lane for that exit; after exiting, turn left onto MLK Blvd and you'll be heading directly towards fair park

5. about 1/4 mile from where MLK Blvd dead ends at Fair Park, look for a public school (think its James Madison High School??); their Junior ROTC program handles fair parking and for about $15 you can park on their campus, inside a guarded and fenced lot; we've never had any parking problems there and you get added bonuses of assisting a good cause plus a fenced and guarded parking lot

6. once you get inside the fair you can create your own "traditions," but some of the best include watching the teams and/or bands enter the fairgrounds, enjoying a fletcher's corny dog (an absolute must) with a cold beverage of your choice, perusing the car shows, and many others too numerous to mention (see http://www.bigtex.com/ for much more information); give the "horns-down" sign as much as your heart desires ...

7. when you leave, get back on MLK Blvd towards the interstate and look for the signs pointing you towards 75 north

8. have a great time ...

Taxman71
9/24/2008, 02:33 PM
dude, if you can make it from a Commerce Street parking spot to your seat in 30 minutes without any problem, you've got something special going on ... as for me (or for My Opinion Matters), this is not something I'd be comfortable attempting; Commerce Street is a bit of a hike to the stadium, then you've got lines to maneuver just to get into the fair, then more lines to get into the stadium, plus you've got an extra 10 or 12 thousand fans this year ...

for the initial poster:

1. I'd recommend leaving your hotel at no later than 8:30 am as you're a first-timer and you won't be familiar with the setup

2. take 75 south towards downtown, but stay in the left lanes as much as possible; don't worry when you see long lines of cars attempting to exit 75 as you approach the I-30/I-45 interchange

3. do not take the first Fair Park exit, just stay in your left lanes and drive around the massive traffic jam as others are exiting (can't emphasize this enough ...)

4. look for the exit marked "Martin Luther King Jr Blvd" and make your way over to the right lane for that exit; after exiting, turn left onto MLK Blvd and you'll be heading directly towards fair park

5. about 1/4 mile from where MLK Blvd dead ends at Fair Park, look for a public school (think its James Madison High School??); their Junior ROTC program handles fair parking and for about $15 you can park on their campus, inside a guarded and fenced lot; we've never had any parking problems there and you get added bonuses of assisting a good cause plus a fenced and guarded parking lot

6. once you get inside the fair you can create your own "traditions," but some of the best include watching the teams and/or bands enter the fairgrounds, enjoying a fletcher's corny dog (an absolute must) with a cold beverage of your choice, perusing the car shows, and many others too numerous to mention (see http://www.bigtex.com/ for much more information); give the "horns-down" sign as much as your heart desires ...

7. when you leave, get back on MLK Blvd towards the interstate and look for the signs pointing you towards 75 north

8. have a great time ...

Hey, those are my double-secret driving/parking instructions which I have developed over the last 15 years. Now I know why the parking lot fills up so quickly these days.:D I was parking there when the school only had room for about 20 cars.

TexasLidig8r
9/24/2008, 03:54 PM
Flak jackets optional on MLK, Jr. Boulevard. :D

Taxman71
9/24/2008, 04:03 PM
I have parked on MLK nearly every year since about 1992. Worse thing was some guy asked me for some change. Then again, I am always in my car and gone long before dark, especially with these 11:00 am kickoffs.

Is there parking on the NE or E side of fair that doesn't require a permit/pass? Someone did that last year and said it was close and easy.

mojorisen2014
9/24/2008, 11:03 PM

You are gonna have a freakin blast, this year will mark my 9th straight OU/tx game and look forward to it every year and its easily addictive. I have season tickets and the crowd in Norman cant hold a candle to the OU fans in the cotton bowl mainly because all the old geezers who sit on their hands at the home games arent there. No offense to the geezers at the home games I still love them.

Lott's Bandana
9/24/2008, 11:10 PM
This late in the game, I would scour the area for a hotel room as they get full quick. Since you will likely drive to the game, I would worry less about being downtown, etc. and more on being close to what you want to do on Friday night. I stay fairly close to SMU so the taxi ride is short on Friday and it is an easy drive to the game on Central Expressway.

Parking at the fair isn't that bad. Just park in a designated parking lot rather than in front of someone's house on the street and you will be fine.

Los Colinas never sells out of rooms on this weekend. (watch me be wrong this year) Not a bad drive in on Saturday morning but admittedly a nightlife desert on Friday.

Parking really isn't that bad. $10-$20 or even free if you luck out and get creative with curbs/alleys/sidewalks. Cars everywhere so the neighborhood deterioration isn't really a factor, unless you stay at the Fair waaaay late.

Always more fun for me to do a little Fair at the beginning and a lot of Fair at the end, 'specially when we weren't supposed to win but did. Often the best concert is OU/TX weekend Saturday night at the Chevy Stage as well.

sooner59
9/24/2008, 11:25 PM
You are gonna have a freakin blast, this year will mark my 9th straight OU/tx game and look forward to it every year and its easily addictive. I have season tickets and the crowd in Norman cant hold a candle to the OU fans in the cotton bowl mainly because all the old geezers who sit on their hands at the home games arent there. No offense to the geezers at the home games I still love them.

Pretty true actually. The two loudest moments during home games I remember (one game in 1996 that doesn't count & every game 2003-2008) are in 2003 4th and goal for OSU early in the game, and also the 2007 Mizzou game when Lofton scores on the fumble recovery. Perkins' 3rd return against UCLA was close. However, the loudest I have "ever" heard was Murray's leap and score against the whorns last year. I will add that I was 20 yard line row 6, and its was really loud near the field. I could understand if English actually didn't hear the whistle before hitting colt mccoy. But I really hope he did hear it.

DallasSooner87
9/24/2008, 11:55 PM
Once you get in the fairgrounds 3 words.

Fletcher's Corn Dog

sooner59
9/25/2008, 12:08 AM
Once you get in the fairgrounds 3 words.

Fletcher's Corn Dog

Once you decide to get a Fletcher's Corn Dog....2 words.

Long line.

DallasSooner87
9/25/2008, 12:22 AM

Long line.

But so worth the wait.:D

Taxman71
9/25/2008, 08:35 AM

Long line.

Not so bad if you walk to the outlying areas of the fair....kiddie rides, etc. The stands anywhere close to the Cotton Bowl entrance are ridiculous.

Even better, go to the food pavillion and get a gyro from the dark haired greek girls. The entire building is half-OU, half-whorn...it will get you in the mood for the game.