PDA

View Full Version : Over aggresive dog issue

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 09:48 AM
I'm hoping one of you dog whisperers can help me.

My dog (not a big dog, weighs about 45 lbs) is very loving to me and my kids. When my mom comes for a vist, he is very happy to see her (unfortunately....JOKE).

The problem is, any other hunan being that enters my yard, he treats like a paid hitman.

I don't mind the guard dog quality, but the problem is I can't even take him out for his walks at a normal time. I end up taking him out at 10:00pm just to avoid running into anyone.

When he does see someone, he goes nuts. Especially another dog.

True story; one time I had him in my truck (with the window about 1/2 way down}. He saw a lady walking her dog about the same time I was going over a speed bump. He lunged from the window and went after them. Luckily, he still had a leash on and didn't make it but about 2 feet. I'm lucky he didn't attack. He's lucky I was going over a speed bump.

I haven't had his balls cut yet. And I'm sure that's a big part of it.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2008, 09:55 AM
Neuter him.

If that doesn't work get rid of him. Or shoot him.

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 09:57 AM
Neuter him.

If that doesn't work get rid of him. Or shoot him.

Does it need to be in that order?

JohnnyMack
9/22/2008, 10:00 AM
I suppose you shouldn't shoot him if you give him to someone else, but I have little patience for word combinations that contain "overly aggressive" and "kids". My BIL's Sister had a german shepherd that was "so loving towards the family and the kids". Then one day it came very close to doing some long term damage to a toddler. The dog was gone the next day. I probably would have just shot it.

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 10:08 AM
I suppose you shouldn't shoot him if you give him to someone else, but I have little patience for word combinations that contain "overly aggressive" and "kids". My BIL's Sister had a german shepherd that was "so loving towards the family and the kids". Then one day it came very close to doing some long term damage to a toddler. The dog was gone the next day. I probably would have just shot it.

I hear ya. That's why I am starting to think maybe this isn't the dog to have. I am scheduled to take him in next week for a ballectomy. If that doesn't work, then he's off to a new home.

Hot Rod
9/22/2008, 10:11 AM
My dog's smaller than that and he still thinks he's all that around people and other dogs. He somewhat learned his lesson against a lab, but still frightens some of the bigger dogs on the street. Kinda humorous.

Johnny, when I was growing up our neighbor had a german shepherd who was like that as well. It was very loving and gentle to neighbor kids and one day just snapped at a child biting it in the face. Crazy dogs.

MojoRisen
9/22/2008, 10:16 AM
Do you guys have dog parks in Oklahoma? That is the best way to get your dog socialized. It is real important to start at a young age having him meet strangers and strange dogs.

That is about all I can say- if he has a ton of fun with strange dogs - playing ball in the dog park- he would then associate a new dog with a potential friend.

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 10:18 AM
Do you guys have dog parks in Oklahoma? That is the best way to get your dog socialized. It is real important to start at a young age having him meet strangers and strange dogs.

That is about all I can say- if he has a ton of fun with strange dogs - playing ball in the dog park- he would then associate a new dog with a potential friend.

I live in Colorado, and we do have dog parks...but most of them are "open", with no fencing. My dog is the type that when the leash comes off, he's gone.

SoonerInKCMO
9/22/2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe your dog could use one of these (http://www.inkkc.com/article/2303&search=dog%20sex%20toy).

Miko
9/22/2008, 01:50 PM
I'm no expert, but here is my $.02.

Get a "gentle leader" harness. It looks like a muzle but is not. It attaches the lead to the dog's snout rather than his neck or chest. Our dogs (100lb lab and ginormous great dane pup) can pull like crazy with the leash on the collar, not so on the gentle leader.

Take your dog on frequent walks. Keep him on a short leash and don't let him lead. Every dog pack has one alpha dog who decides where they go, when they stop and when they don't. Keep your dog on a short leash and make sure YOU decide when you stop to sniff things and when you turn directions. Your dog will quickly accept you as the alpha.

Next teach him a command like "leave it" etc. We started with treats. Showed the dog a treat and told her to leave it. If she tried to eat it, we would close the hand holding the treat denying her the treat. When she backed off she got a different treat (of a different type) as a reward. We worked up to laying treats on the ground and telling her to leave it.

Now our dogs leave food alone if told to leave it. They ignore other people or dogs if told to leave it. Well, ignore is a bit strong when talking about people or other dogs, they often keep LOOKING, but they don't growl, bark or pull on the lead.

Hope this helps.

tbl
9/22/2008, 01:53 PM
Score another one for the cats...

AggieTool
9/22/2008, 02:22 PM
I have the same issue with my dog.

Hopefully a dog park will be the answer.

Viking Kitten
9/22/2008, 02:31 PM
Man, that's kind of scary, because 45 pounds of dog can do some damage. We've had dogs who were good watchdogs, but never aggressive like that. Hell, I had a Siberian Husky that was so sweet she'd probably have shown any burgulars where all the valuables were and offered them a beer.

Just from watching the Dog Whisperer I think Miko has probably offered the best advice.

And when you get done watching that, turn it over to Animal Planet and watch "It's Me or the Dog." It's Dog Whisperer meets "SuperNanny." Only the trainer is a super cute British lady who wears Emma Peel-ish dominatrix outfits. The dogs on that show are hilarious. There was one who liked to jump on the counter and wee in the breadbox.

M
9/22/2008, 05:01 PM
And when you get done watching that, turn it over to Animal Planet and watch "It's Me or the Dog." It's Dog Whisperer meets "SuperNanny." Only the trainer is a super cute British lady who wears Emma Peel-ish dominatrix outfits. The dogs on that show are hilarious. There was one who liked to jump on the counter and wee in the breadbox.

[British accent] He just won't stop weeing!! [/British accent]

Viking Kitten
9/22/2008, 05:16 PM
"Buster just wees and wees and wees."

Tulsa_Fireman
9/22/2008, 08:01 PM
Did you ever think your dog is just an *******?

Beat him unmercifully. Growl when you do it. Don't let him lick your face. EVER. On occasion when he's pissing you off, just take your hand and wrap it around his throat, forcing him to the ground. Don't squeeze, just kick his ***. Pet it when you want, how you want, and where you want. He might get froggy at first, but when he does, go for the fullblown rear naked choke, just like Chief Jay Strongbow.

A month of that, maybe less, and you will have established yourself as THE Alpha Dog. Kick him a lot, too. Throw rocks when you can. Then pee in HIS house and that'll show him real good.

The pee marks your territory. Lets him know you're the boss.

Turd_Ferguson
9/22/2008, 08:19 PM
Did you ever think your dog is just an *******?

Beat him unmercifully. Growl when you do it. Don't let him lick your face. EVER. On occasion when he's pissing you off, just take your hand and wrap it around his throat, forcing him to the ground. Don't squeeze, just kick his ***. Pet it when you want, how you want, and where you want. He might get froggy at first, but when he does, go for the fullblown rear naked choke, just like Chief Jay Strongbow.

A month of that, maybe less, and you will have established yourself as THE Alpha Dog. Kick him a lot, too. Throw rocks when you can. Then pee in HIS house and that'll show him real good.

The pee marks your territory. Lets him know you're the boss.Kicking dog's can get you shooed. NSFW!!!

Hs6p3YAQ7Jw

SoonerKnight
9/23/2008, 02:15 AM
I live in Colorado, and we do have dog parks...but most of them are "open", with no fencing. My dog is the type that when the leash comes off, he's gone.

I live in colorado Denver to be exact and there are several fenced parks you can take him to. PM me!