PDA

View Full Version : BIG 12 vs. SEC

BIG_IKE
9/22/2008, 07:50 AM
I know the SEC is a pretty good conference...but seriously..from Top to Bottom..what really makes them better than the Big 12?? ARE they even better than the Big 12??

Oklahoma-----------LSU
Missouri------------Georgia
Texas------------Florida
Kansas------------Alabama
Texas Tech--------Auburn
Colorado-----------Vanderbilt
Oklahoma State-----Tennesssee
Nebraska-----------Arkansas
Baylor-------------South Carolina
Kansas State------Ole Miss
Texas A&M----------Kentucky
Iowa State---------Mississippi State

I can with a straight face say that if our Top 5 were to beat their top 5 I would not be surprised. However...Im not AS certain about the bottom 5..
All in all if these were the 12 matchups, I think we would come out on top.

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:42 AM
MSU > ISU
Kentucky > A&M
Miss > KSU
Baylor > SC (I'm not sold on SC like everyone was at the beginning of the year)
NU > Arkansas (I actually think you have Arkansas rated too high)
CU > Vanderbilt (see SC)
Auburn > TTech

The other five (including OSU v Tennessee) are toss-ups.

fadada1
9/22/2008, 09:44 AM
lsu, florida, and georgia are all interchangeable, imo.

i think tech should be above kansas.

The Maestro
9/22/2008, 09:46 AM
Using your list, I like our top two. I like their next three over the Big 12.

It's a tough call...bottom line, if two teams from these leagues run they table they SHOULD be in the title game, regardless of what USC does.

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 09:55 AM
This year may be different, but most years, I would say top to bottom the SEC is a better conference.

I still think our top two or three teams beat their top two or three 9 out of 10 times.

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:59 AM
I think tech could take auburn on a neutral field. I didn't see great secondary play from the barners when I was watching.

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 10:09 AM
This year the big 12 is a notch better IMO...

soonermix
9/22/2008, 10:53 AM
as much as i hate to say it the sec is a better conference top to bottom
based on your last 4 they win all of those because our bottom 4 are that bad.
all the other games are pretty much toss ups but that is always the case iowa state and baylor and this year texas a&m are bringing our conference down

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 10:57 AM
IMO, it doesn't matter who is the better conference...You'll never hear me chanting big 12 when OU wins a game..hanging your hat on having the tougher conference is for teams that underachieve and need an excuse for losing..And there really is no way to measure who is the better conference.....

MojoRisen
9/22/2008, 11:03 AM
We need to start winning the Cotton Bowl, Tech, Nebraska blew their games against Alabama and Auburn... Not much seperation though in 1 and 3 point losses.

Could be a Texas VS Alabama or Auburn Matchup..

PDXsooner
9/22/2008, 11:20 AM
seriously who cares? now that the big 12 is considered tough, why are so many fans playing the conference game? OU is good whether the big 12 is tough or not, i'll be cold and in the ground the day i root for texas or osu.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 11:33 AM
Ya I don't really care either. However, if I was a betting man. And the Top 6 big 12 faced the top 6 SEC. I would say it would go 3-3. Not sure who would win each game.

BIG_IKE
9/22/2008, 11:41 AM
Its not about playing the conference game....whether we admit it or not, if the media believes our conference is good and the coaches believe it's good it benefits ALL of us. It explains why a 2 loss team won the NC last year...because people had THAt much respect for their conference. Even though they lost to 2 of the non elite schools.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 12:09 PM
Its not about playing the conference game....whether we admit it or not, if the media believes our conference is good and the coaches believe it's good it benefits ALL of us. It explains why a 2 loss team won the NC last year...because people had THAt much respect for their conference. Even though they lost to 2 of the non elite schools.

I still think that LSU was the most deserving team. I thought they were the best too.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 12:10 PM
Teams outside of that conference take care of their business wont have to think about league toughness perception

LSUdeek
9/22/2008, 12:18 PM

Every BCS school except for tOSU had 2 losses.

USC's home loss to a 40+ point underdog put them out of contention.

Losing to Colorado probably put you guys out when comparing our losses (both were in triple overtime, one on the road and one at home against a Heisman candidate). Losing to Texas Tech on the road isn't a bad loss.

We beat VT 48-7, so that puts them out of it.

We won the SEC championship game with a backup quarterback on a day where there was national speculation about our head coach and defensive coordinator leaving for other schools. Hell, you guys maintain that losing Mike Stoops to Arizona was a big reason why you lost to us in the MNC.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 12:19 PM
I'll take the SEC top to bottom, but who really cares about the matchups at the bottom? The key to conference respect is having enough top teams such that the ultimate winner has had to pass a few solid tests. The big12 south victor out of OU, UT, TT, OSU will have had 3 good tests and then most likely will have to beat MU. It won't hurt if Baylor and A&M turn out to be breathers on the schedule.

Vaevictis
9/22/2008, 12:21 PM
We won the SEC championship game with a backup quarterback on a day where there was national speculation about our head coach and defensive coordinator leaving for other schools. Hell, you guys maintain that losing Mike Stoops to Arizona was a big reason why you lost to us in the MNC.

Just for what it's worth: Speculation about losing a coach is not the same thing as actually losing a coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 12:21 PM
Losing to Colorado probably put you guys out when comparing our losses (both were in triple overtime, one on the road and one at home against a Heisman candidate). Losing to Texas Tech on the road isn't a bad loss.

exactly...dont lose to a crappy football team like Colorado
and it doesn't matter...

rondog79
9/22/2008, 12:33 PM
exactly...dont lose to a crappy football team like Colorado
and it doesn't matter...

true dat

BIG_IKE
9/22/2008, 12:33 PM
Kansas did not lose twice last year..

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 12:34 PM
but they were 2nd in the North Division

Fraggle145
9/22/2008, 12:35 PM
Oklahoma-----------LSU
Missouri------------Georgia
Texas------------Florida
Kansas------------Alabama
Texas Tech--------Auburn
Colorado-----------Vanderbilt
Oklahoma State-----Tennesssee
Nebraska-----------Arkansas
Baylor-------------South Carolina
Kansas State------Ole Miss
Texas A&M----------Kentucky
Iowa State---------Mississippi State

I think the first three matchups are all interchangeable at this point. #4 & 5 are also interchangeable with each other. I think you have Vandy way too high. Although they beat South Carolina I dont think they are week in week out better than them. Historically they are even with Baylor so that is where I would put them.

I would put the remainder like this for this year

Colorado -- Tennessee (Big XII)
Nebraska -- South Carolina
Poke St. -- Ole Miss
Kansas St. -- Mississippi St.
Texas A&M -- Arkansas
Iowa St. -- Kentucky
Baylor -- Vandy

LSUdeek
9/22/2008, 12:39 PM
Kansas did not lose twice last year..

They did not win their conference

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 12:40 PM
I agree STEP. I know its all in the past, but even after losing to Colorado, say we finished undefeated. We would be in the National Title, and probably ranked number 1. So as far as my complaints about the BCS we had our chance to make it even after a loss. I'm sure this seems obvious to most sooner fans, but I'm just restating it.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 12:42 PM
As far as how the rest went, I do believe that LSU and tOSU were the 2 most deserving teams according to the system.

The Maestro
9/22/2008, 12:54 PM
I agree with whoever said that it is not as much about pulling for conference as hoping we never end up like USC did the one year when they were left out or like Auburn did the year they were left out.

I heard Tony Barnhart on Tim Brando's radio show this morning saying that with Oregon and ASU losing last weekend, so what if USC goes unbeaten? He mentioned that they beat Ohio State at home without their best running back and without using the QB they will the rest of the year.

He believes an unbeaten Big 12 school and an unbeaten SEC school would deserve the title game more than an unbeaten USC team...and I agree.

Having said that, I really don't see an SEC team going unbeaten. I find flaws in LSU, Florida, Georgia and Alabama. One gets taken out this week, anyway with Alabama v Georgia. I think USC and OU have the best chance to be unbeaten when the season is over...our road games at aTm and KSU were made to look a LOT easier this past weekend. Texas, Texas Tech and OSU appear to be our major road blocks before the Big 12 title game.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 12:58 PM
Best chances to go undefeated in the "regular season", "statistically" in my opinion.

1) USC
2) Missouri
3) Oklahoma
4) Wisconsin
5) Penn State
6) South Florida

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 01:09 PM
Best chances to go undefeated in the "regular season", "statistically" in my opinion.

1) USC
2) Missouri
3) Oklahoma
4) Wisconsin
5) Penn State
6) South Florida

Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I thnk the big12 is unlikely to produce an undefeated team for the same reason as the SEC. The BCS writers really did not want to put tOSU in the title game last year, but they eventually went by the number in the loss column. tOSU had 1 and everyone else under consideration had 2. They knew that USC, UGA, OU (at least a healthy OU) and probably MU were better that the buckeyes. I could well see it happening again with Wiscy or Penn state.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 01:28 PM
Wisconsin and Penn are not proving teams. I know their schedule is weaker than Oklahoma, but still Oklahoma has shown 3 times this decade that we can win every regular season game. Missouri is good, but I hate to admit it. South Florida.... look at the collapse last year.

In the end, teams that have had a perfect regular season this decade.

2000-2001 Oklahoma
2001-2002 Miami
2002-2003 Ohio State, Miami
2003-2004 Oklahoma
2004-2005 Oklahoma, USC, Auburn
2005-2006 Texas, USC
2006-2007 Ohio State

So my view after reading this is, its just as hard to go undefeated in the regular season, as it is to win a National Championship, if not harder. So therefor I do not see any Big ten teams going undefeated this year, since tosu is already out. The only conferences in this decade to have a team go undefeated in regular season play, has been the,

Big 12 - OU , UT
Big 10- Ohio State
Pac 10- USC
SEC- Auburn
Miami does not really count, and plus they suck this year.

Just saying its not likely for a Big 10 team to go undefeated other than Ohio State.

My previous list (which is 2 post above this one) is "statistically the best chances to go undefeated." But stats are not guarantees

PDXsooner
9/22/2008, 01:36 PM
whether USC has the toughest road or not (which they clearly don't) -- it is kind of ridiculous to suggest they don't deserve to be in the NC game if they win out.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 01:36 PM
Six Programs have had perfect regular seasons this decade. (BCS conferences)

Oklahoma and Texas play, so the loser is out.

Ohio State has already lost

Auburn has already lost.

USC has not lost.

Miami has already lost.

So if history stands correctly USC VS Oklahoma/Texas is the best chance for the National Title according to Stats this decade.... again they are stats

The Maestro
9/22/2008, 01:40 PM
whether USC has the toughest road or not (which they clearly don't) -- it is kind of ridiculous to suggest they don't deserve to be in the NC game if they win out.

If OU and let's say Georgia win out, care to explain why?

What if Ohio State loses to Penn State and Wisconsin and finishes 9-3?

You are basing that all on rankings in week two or you see the Pac 10 as some dynamo the rest of the country can't see.

I think living in Oregon might give you a biased view of the Pac 10. Dude...IT SUCKS BAD!!!

MALE918
9/22/2008, 01:48 PM
The difference between the two conferences is how we play defense. The SEC plays more in your face defense where as the Big 12 plays more finesse soft zone coverage. Not that either one is superior to the other just that the styles are different and their style gives the IMPRESSION of strenth and tenacity.
I would like to point out 3 things of recent history that I find interesting. 2006 crappy Colorado (finished the season behind everyone but Iowa St in conference) comes to Athens and plays a mid-tier Georgia team and loses by 1 in the closing seconds of the game. 2007 Colorado 4-4 in conference (created by beating bottom dwellers of conference and not challenging anyone in the top of conference) loses to Alabama 4-4 in conference(not only beat Florida but pushed Georgia to OT and pushed LSU) by 6. Is this great seperation between conferences? NO.

MALE918
9/22/2008, 01:50 PM
Question. Which conference is harder to win? A conference with alot of parity with average to good teams or a conference with the best team in the whole league (not just ranked as such; is truly the best and most dominate team)?

PDXsooner
9/22/2008, 01:53 PM
I think living in Oregon might give you a biased view of the Pac 10. Dude...IT SUCKS BAD!!!

funny you mention that, because the opposite is true. i actually have grown to hate USC and the pac-10 even more by living here. however, i also try to be as objective as i can.

USC is the best program in the country. they have out-recruited everyone in the country (according to every reliable recruiting service), they have performed well in big games, and won every bowl (BCS) game since 2002 with the exception of the nail-biter against texas in 2005.

their non-conference opponents are better than any BCS school in the country (auburn, nebraska, colorado, ohio state, k-state, notre dame, arkansas, virginia, va. tech in recent years).

there's a lot of football left, and someone will lose to make the argument moot. but denying that they're probably the best team in the country when playing well is a product of crimson-and cream glasses, if you know what i mean.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 02:09 PM
SEC Champions this decade

2000 - Florida
2001 - LSU
2002 - Georgia
2003 - LSU
2004 - Auburn
2005 - Georgia
2006 - Florida
2007 - LSU

LSU- 3.
Georgia- 2
Florida- 2
Auburn- 1

Typically between 4 teams.

Big 12 Champions this Decade

2000- Oklahoma
2001- Colorado
2002- Oklahoma
2003- K. State
2004- Oklahoma
2005- Texas
2006- Oklahoma
2007- Oklahoma

Oklahoma 5
Texas 1
Kansas State 1
Colorado 1

PAC 10
2000- Oregon, Washington
2001-Oregon
2002-usc
2003-usc
2004-usc
2005-usc
2006-usc
2007-usc

USC-6

You can say its really easy to win the PAC 10, if your USC. Or its really hard to win the Pac 10 if your not USC, and in that conference.

The SEC is the most split I would say, and still all four of those teams are consistently good.

The Big 12 is usually Oklahoma that wins. Nobody else has more than 1 Conference Championship in this decade.

So I guess I would have to say that the SEC is the hardest to win out of the 3.

The Maestro
9/22/2008, 02:43 PM
funny you mention that, because the opposite is true. i actually have grown to hate USC and the pac-10 even more by living here. however, i also try to be as objective as i can.

USC is the best program in the country. they have out-recruited everyone in the country (according to every reliable recruiting service), they have performed well in big games, and won every bowl (BCS) game since 2002 with the exception of the nail-biter against texas in 2005.

their non-conference opponents are better than any BCS school in the country (auburn, nebraska, colorado, ohio state, k-state, notre dame, arkansas, virginia, va. tech in recent years).

there's a lot of football left, and someone will lose to make the argument moot. but denying that they're probably the best team in the country when playing well is a product of crimson-and cream glasses, if you know what i mean.

You say USC is the best program in the country. I say, that's an opinion. Why not LSU? Why not Ohio State? Why not OU? You can make arguments all the way around. As far as "out-recruited" goes, yeah...two words. Notre. Dame.

As far as USC's bowl games go, I sure would not have minded playing Michigan twice and Illinois once in Oklahoma City. Might have been easier to look good in bowl games that way. Other than their thrashing of us, their bowl performance is about what's expected and includes a hometown loss to Texas.

As far as their non-conference games over the past few years...WHO CARES??? I am talking about this year! I think a lot of good teams could beat Ohio State at home without Beanie Wells. Ohio State struggled IN COLUMBUS against Ohio and Troy...not exactly BCS caliber teams there. Virginia and Notre Dame are brutal. The Pac 10 is no better than the Mountain West...other than USC.

So if Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal Constitution feels the same way does that make him an OU homer?

PDXsooner
9/22/2008, 02:59 PM
i'm not going to continue to defend USC. i'm an OU fan, and there are always going to be legitimate counter-arguments to any opinion. it's what makes college football great. being too objective and rational takes some of the fun out of it.

i still think USC is the team to beat. OU has a harder road to get to the NC game and i think OU has a good shot at beating USC if we get there.

time will tell.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 03:00 PM
You say USC is the best program in the country. I say, that's an opinion. Why not LSU? Why not Ohio State? Why not OU? You can make arguments all the way around. As far as "out-recruited" goes, yeah...two words. Notre. Dame.

As far as USC's bowl games go, I sure would not have minded playing Michigan twice and Illinois once in Oklahoma City. Might have been easier to look good in bowl games that way. Other than their thrashing of us, their bowl performance is about what's expected and includes a hometown loss to Texas.

As far as their non-conference games over the past few years...WHO CARES??? I am talking about this year! I think a lot of good teams could beat Ohio State at home without Beanie Wells. Ohio State struggled IN COLUMBUS against Ohio and Troy...not exactly BCS caliber teams there. Virginia and Notre Dame are brutal. The Pac 10 is no better than the Mountain West...other than USC.

So if Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal Constitution feels the same way does that make him an OU homer?

Its hard to outpost a sober Maestro

Fiatil
9/22/2008, 03:03 PM
I think USC has looked pretty damn good so far, but they've only played two games. One was against a Virginia team that isn't even close to what they were last year (they lost 45-10 to UConn, a team that beat Baylor by 3 and Temple by 3 in overtime), and an Ohio State team that seems to be looking less and less impressive by the week.

Give it a few weeks, let's see how they look against the rest of the creampuff schedule. It'll be hard to see how good they are playing such fantastic opposition, but if they slip up at all it gives you a little bit of insight. If OU or MU goes undefeated, and a SEC team goes undefeated, there's no reason either of them should be left out for USC based on Wins. The schedule today has both teams playing a much tougher schedule than USC, who is the only ranked team in their conference. It's sort of pointless to even talk about this now, because we're assuming that
1) All 3 teams go undefeated
2) USC looks absolutely godlike against their unranked opponents
and
3) Big 12/SEC team looks ugly and sloppy in their undefeated run.

The Maestro
9/22/2008, 03:08 PM
Its hard to outpost a sober Maestro

Ummm...thanks? :cool:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 03:09 PM
Ummm...thanks? :cool:

your welcome

LSUdeek
9/22/2008, 03:13 PM
SEC Champions this decade - Added the opponents

2000 - Florida / Bama
2001 - LSU / Tenn
2002 - Georgia / Arkansas
2003 - LSU / Georgia
2004 - Auburn / Tenn
2005 - Georgia / LSU
2006 - Florida / Arkansas
2007 - LSU / Tenn

LSU has appeared in the conference championship game every odd year of this decade, which coincides with playing Florida and Auburn at home. LSU has the most SECCG appearances with 4, and the most SECCG victories with 3.

Seven total SEC teams have appeared in the conference championship game since 2000, with Ole Miss, Moo State (they played it in 1999), USCe, UK, and Vandy being left out. Only UGA has appeared in the conference championship game in consecutive years, 2002-03, and lost the second time.

So I guess I would have to say that the SEC is the hardest to win out of the 3.

I would agree with your assertion. :D

shaun4411
9/22/2008, 04:23 PM
LSU has appeared in the conference championship game every odd year of this decade, which coincides with playing Florida and Auburn at home. LSU has the most SECCG appearances with 4, and the most SECCG victories with 3.

Seven total SEC teams have appeared in the conference championship game since 2000, with Ole Miss, Moo State (they played it in 1999), USCe, UK, and Vandy being left out. Only UGA has appeared in the conference championship game in consecutive years, 2002-03, and lost the second time.

I would agree with your assertion. :D

i wouldnt go insofar as to say that the sec is the best conference. but i do think they have the least amount of parity between the teams. unlike the pac 10 where the best team is far and away better than the rest, and it isnt even close on the field, or really on paper.

on paper at least, the big12 is pretty close, and on the field outside the top 2 or 3 teams, its pretty close on paper and on the field.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 05:01 PM
Old article, but funny. I'm sure ya'll have read this before, but it is still funny.

Another Monday, friends. Another video commentary.

Watch it here, or read it below:

Could the madness of this college football season end with something so perfect, so cosmic that it makes sense of the craziness?

If LSU and Oklahoma play it will.

Les Miles vs. Bob Stoops.

Would that be perfect, or what?

The two coaches traded verbal jabs time and again before Miles left OSU for LSU. They had more barbs than a livestock fence.

After OSU beat OU 16-13 in 2001, Miles said the Cowboys should’ve won by more.

Stoops shot back by saying some people are satisfied with four wins.

The Cowboys, by the way, just happened to finish 4-7 that season.

A couple years later, Miles said of the Sooners, “They’re the best team in college football, we’re told.”

After the Sooners throttled the Cowboys 52-9 in Norman, Stoops was less than warm during the coaches’ post-game mid-field handshake. The Sooner coach later said, “I was professional. I said good game. That’s all I need to say. I don’t need to hear his opinion about anything.”

Oh, it’s been rich, rich stuff between these two.

Most coaches walk on eggshells these days. Miles and Stoops made scrambled eggs instead.

And it didn’t stop after Miles left OSU for LSU. He still couldn’t resist a little Bedlam trash talking. During one of LSU’s caravan stops two summers ago, Miles was asked a question about OU, LSU’s opponent in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago.

Miles said, “When you guys were playing Oklahoma and I was representing another school, I watched every play and I was so damn happy that LSU won. I look forward to meeting that team again and that coach.”

Stoops fired back a few days later at an OU caravan stop.

“Boy,” Stoops said, “I bet it burned him to see us raise our third Big 12 championship in the last five years since he’s watching us play in these championship games all the time.”

Both Stoops and Miles have tried to insist that they play nice. Miles even said he called Stoops after he took the LSU job and told him what a pleasure it had been to compete against him.

But really, who are these two trying to snow under? Their bad blood runs thick.

Now with LSU at the top of the BCS standings and OU rising higher every week, a national championship showdown seems more likely than ever. Playing for a title would bring its own drama, of course, but wouldn’t it be sweet to have Miles and Stoops back together again?

With so many weeks between the conference championship games and the national championship game, one of them would be sure to slip up. All it would take is one little spark to start the inferno.

Through the madness of this season, a Stoops-Miles showdown might be one thing that makes sense.

OU and LSU have agreed to a home-and-home series beginning in 2018, but we may not have to wait that long for the fun of Stoops v. Miles.

http://blog.newsok.com/jennicarlson/2007/11/12/miles-v-stoops-count-me-in/

LSUdeek
9/22/2008, 05:04 PM
2018... Oh, the humanity.

The world has already seen OU and Texas vs USC. They've already seen tOSU vs Florida and LSU.

The world needs SEC vs. the Pac 10 this year. I just don't think we'll emerge unscathed enough to do it.

Fraggle145
9/22/2008, 05:18 PM
I watch a lot of SEC football and have been following it as consistently as I follow the big XII for the past 5 years (being both and OU and UGA alum).

I would just like to add to the whole difference in the way the conferences play defense thing... That the SEC plays a totally different style of offense. Only one team there really runs the spread (UF) and throughout the conference there is not a lot of passing. Hell one of the best QBs in the league Matt Stafford has never had a 300yd game.

Just saying its a lot easier to play "tough D" when nobody is really spreading you out in space and playing "tough O."

I would even go on to say that the SEC's offensive numbers before somebody busts them out are inflated due to eating up cupcakes. Not that I blame them, it is what it is.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 05:20 PM
That is a really good point!!!!

Salt City Sooner
9/22/2008, 05:36 PM

True, & in fact, it's beyond easy to make a case that the Pac-10 is worse. So far, they're 0fer the MWC in 5 attempts:

UNLV won @ ASU
UNM beat 'zona
TCU beat Stanford
BYU beat both UDub & UCLA

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 05:37 PM

The problem is you can't tell either way. They could be the best team that just didn't get the opportunity to prove it. Or they could be a pretty good team that has yet to be challenged and exposed. So it could be "ridiculous" to suggest they do deserve the be in the NC game if they win out. It's not 'SC fault the PAC10 sucks and you can't blame them for trying with Virginia, tOSU and ND when they were scheduled. But UVA and ND are weak and tOSU was not very good at the time they played them. It's just a tough problem when you have a 2 team system.

Fraggle145
9/22/2008, 05:45 PM
The problem is you can't tell either way. They could be the best team that just didn't get the opportunity to prove it. Or they could be a pretty good team that has yet to be challenged and exposed. So it could be "ridiculous" to suggest they do deserve the be in the NC game if they win out. It's not 'SC fault the PAC10 sucks and you can't blame them for trying with Virginia, tOSU and ND when they were scheduled. But UVA and ND are weak and tOSU was not very good at the time they played them. It's just a tough problem when you have a 2 team system.

meh. F'em. ;)

Sabanball
9/22/2008, 06:37 PM
Hopefully we'll have some SEC/Big 12 bowl matchups come Dec/Jan, and we can settle this question on the field.

Johnny Utah
9/22/2008, 08:31 PM
The difference between the two conferences is how we play defense. The SEC plays more in your face defense where as the Big 12 plays more finesse soft zone coverage. Not that either one is superior to the other just that the styles are different and their style gives the IMPRESSION of strenth and tenacity.
I would like to point out 3 things of recent history that I find interesting. 2006 crappy Colorado (finished the season behind everyone but Iowa St in conference) comes to Athens and plays a mid-tier Georgia team and loses by 1 in the closing seconds of the game. 2007 Colorado 4-4 in conference (created by beating bottom dwellers of conference and not challenging anyone in the top of conference) loses to Alabama 4-4 in conference(not only beat Florida but pushed Georgia to OT and pushed LSU) by 6. Is this great seperation between conferences? NO.

I've griped enough on this board about the "finesse soft zone coverage" to be negged to Bolivia. Say what you will but IMHO the "in your face defense" limits the opposing offenses opportunity to move the ball down the field and take valuable time off the clock. Plus, an 18-19 year old receiver that gets rocked the minute his hands touch the ball is going to start thinking twice the next time. I'm just sayin'.

Johnny Utah
9/22/2008, 08:35 PM
I've griped enough on this board about the "finesse soft zone coverage" to be negged to Bolivia. Say what you will but IMHO the "in your face defense" limits the opposing offenses opportunity to move the ball down the field and take valuable time off the clock. Plus, an 18-19 year old receiver that gets rocked the minute his hands touch the ball is going to start thinking twice the next time. I'm just sayin'.

[after Johnny Utah's SoonerFans interview]
Lana: So, how're we doin'?
Johnny Utah: Looks like University of Bolivia!

josh09
9/23/2008, 12:57 AM
Idk which conference is better, but i'd definitely love to see those first 5 games on your list.

The Maestro
9/23/2008, 09:51 AM
Well, Colin Cowherd is far from an OU homer...he is a USC loverboy. And he agrees that if Oklahoma and an SEC team go unbeaten, USC deserves to be left out based on strength of others schedule and lack of top 25 teams on USC's schedule. He says it is, in his words, "a no brainer". This guy has ragged on Oklahoma a lot, but even he can see it.

Oh, well...just something to talk about for now. The beauty of college football...weekly relevance and it changes every week!

PDXsooner
9/23/2008, 11:21 AM
Well, Colin Cowherd is far from an OU homer...he is a USC loverboy. And he agrees that if Oklahoma and an SEC team go unbeaten, USC deserves to be left out based on strength of others schedule and lack of top 25 teams on USC's schedule.

true, but he also said "i still think USC would beat OU like a drum".

he was the local radio guy here in portland before he got his show -- he's a rabble-rouser, just likes to **** people off.