PDA

View Full Version : Big XII conference consecutive pass completions

Dan Thompson
9/22/2008, 12:00 AM
AP has said this week that Chase Daniels has set a Big XII record for completing 20 consecutive passes in the game againist Buffalo.

I thought that Sam did two games last year that where 21 and 22 completions.

Did I mess something or is the AP talking about a 2008 record?

Fiatil
9/22/2008, 12:02 AM
I think they're referring to consecutive passes in one game. Having it over the course of two games doesn't really seem to count as far as the recordbooks are concerned.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 12:21 AM
According to Wiki He completed 22 against Miami. 18 in the 1st 1/2 and 4 In the 2nd .
In his first game for the Oklahoma Sooners on 2007-09-01 against the University of North Texas, Bradford completed 21 of 23 attempts for 363 yards and three touchdowns in just little over 2 quarters, breaking the school record for passing yards in a half, held by quarterback coach Josh Heupel, with 350.[7]
The very next game, Bradford broke Heisman Trophy winner Jason White's school record for most consecutive pass completions with 22 (18 came in the first half and four at the start of the second).[8]

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2008, 02:22 AM
Bradford owns the record in a game...end of question.

The Media is trying to give Daniel more credit than what he deserves.

OU_Sooners75
9/22/2008, 02:27 AM
Email I sent to ESPN....even though it will not do any good...

Chase Daniel does not own the Big 12 Record for most consecutive completions in a game at 20.

Sam Bradford last year against Miami had 22 consecutive completions. 18 in the first half and 4 in the second half before throwing an incomplete pass.

As a fan of football first and foremost, when reporting please do some research and get your facts straight. You all have now made Chase look better for breaking a record, when he did not.

Thanks,
OU Fan.

Jacie
9/22/2008, 05:59 AM
Heck, if we had to agonize over facts to make a good story, most guys I know would never get laid . . .

OUHOMER
9/22/2008, 08:25 AM
Heh, the BIG12 also sayes CD set a record for 20 in a row.
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=106181&SPID=13139&DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1586919

badger
9/22/2008, 09:16 AM
:confused: is the University of Oklahoma lying to us???

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:19 AM
It's a conspiracy...apparently they went back into my video of the game I taped and re-did Sam's completions.

I'm going to put my tin-foil hat back on as soon as I check for the black helicopters that are circling my house. ;)

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:24 AM
How many threads will this get?

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:26 AM
I've only seen this one, but I haven't gotten past the first couple threads.

I usually start at the top of the page, and work my way down. If I see something I want to respond to, I respond to it.

Then, after I'm satisfied with this thread, I go back to the football page and resume my search down the rest of the page.

I don't check for multiple threads. I don't scan all the threads first to decide which ones I like.

That's my style, and I'm sticking with it.

badger
9/22/2008, 09:28 AM
How many threads will this get?

http://flss.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/over-9000.jpg

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:30 AM
Even if it was a record, it was against BUFFALO!!!!

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:33 AM

I usually start at the top of the page, and work my way down. If I see something I want to respond to, I respond to it.

Then, after I'm satisfied with this thread, I go back to the football page and resume my search down the rest of the page.

I don't check for multiple threads. I don't scan all the threads first to decide which ones I like.

easy there. I wasn't talking to you. Unless DT is a troll of yours;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120537

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120538

stoopified
9/22/2008, 09:33 AM

That's my style, and I'm sticking with it.I'm with you MM

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:34 AM
sooneron,

I'd almost be willing to wager Buffalo is a good fotball team by the end of the year, and goes bowling.

I predict they win 7-8 games.

Also, we've played cupcakes before and still didn't reach 22 completions in a row (unless Sam did it as mentioned previously).

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:35 AM
easy there. I wasn't talking to you. Unless DT is a troll of yours;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120537

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120538

No, no, no...I wasn't upset. I should have put a winkie in there.

And DT's not a troll of mine. sooneron is my troll name. ;)

badger
9/22/2008, 09:37 AM
sooneron,

I'd almost be willing to wager Buffalo is a good fotball team by the end of the year, and goes bowling.

Also, we've played cupcakes before and still didn't reach 22 completions in a row (unless Sam did it as mentioned previously).

I think teams that are on ESPN's Bottom 10 get so embarrassed that they'll do anything to get off it. Either years of pent up rage over losing repeatedly... or pent up funds from big schools wanting to beat you by 70 will do the trick.

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:38 AM
sooneron,

Yes, they could go bowling, but they are in the mac and let's face it, Turner Gill isn't cherry picking any recruits that are burners in the secondary. He's going to win games and maybe his conf by having a team of dudes that execute, they aren't going to go somewhere like Norman or LA and put the fear of God into a team with a big scare.

batonrougesooner
9/22/2008, 09:45 AM
According to soonersports.com Bradford went 19-25 for 205 yards last year against Miami.

Threw an incompletion on his fourth attempt against North Texas.

MiccoMacey
9/22/2008, 09:47 AM
No, but they're better than the Mocs we played, and probably better than Washington.

They're a good MAC team.

I just don't think it's right to downgrade someone's accomplishments just because it came against inferior opponents, especially when we couldnt do the same to our inferior opponents. I give Chase credit for doing what he did.

sooneron
9/22/2008, 09:56 AM
No, but they're better than the Mocs we played, and probably better than Washington.

They're a good MAC team.

I just don't think it's right to downgrade someone's accomplishments just because it came against inferior opponents, especially when we couldnt do the same to our inferior opponents. I give Chase credit for doing what he did.
Dude, there are about 145 teams that are better than the mocs. I think Buffalo and Washington would play down to the wire. Up here, I get to hear about all the powerhouse NY area teams - Hofstra, Rutgers, Buffalo, Albany...
I'm sorry I don't look at it as something of a big accomplishment. Is it an accomplishment? Yes. The bigger question is, where does Turner Gill go after this year if he gets Buff bowl eligible?

AZSOONER
9/22/2008, 12:04 PM

Same here.

snp
9/22/2008, 12:18 PM

"when reporting please do some research and get your facts straight"

Which includes not relying on WIKI for your research. If you would've taken 2 seconds and looked around, you'd see he went 19/25 against Miami.

JLEW1818
9/22/2008, 01:07 PM
I might be wrong, and I'd probably agree with ya'll, but from what I heard on ESPN was Daniel broke a Missouri completion record.

badger
9/22/2008, 01:43 PM
Ok d00ds, here' the dealio:

Bradford's record was over two games, Daniel's record was over a single game.

Therefore, in order to uber pwn the Head Pantie, Bradford must get 20 or more in a single game, not a stretch of two games.

When the Big 12 confirmed Daniel's record, they noted that Bradford's record was over two games, not a single game, therefore Booger Eater has the record... for now.

The record is a for a single game.

Sorry. :(

AZSOONER
9/22/2008, 02:28 PM
I might be wrong, and I'd probably agree with ya'll, but from what I heard on ESPN was Daniel broke a Missouri completion record.

Nah, they said he broke a Big XII record.

Beef
9/22/2008, 03:33 PM
Therefore, in order to uber pwn the Head Pantie, Bradford must get 20 or more in a single game, not a stretch of two games.

(

Sam 2 - Head Pantie 0 is uber pwnage in my book.

NormanPride
9/22/2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah. He can make all the completions he wants if we still beat them by 20. :D

KingBarry
9/22/2008, 04:17 PM

"Chase Daniel does not own the Big 12 Record for most consecutive completions in a game at 20.

Sam Bradford last year against Miami had 22 consecutive completions. 18 in the first half and 4 in the second half before throwing an incomplete pass.

As a fan of football first and foremost, when reporting please do some research and get your facts straight. You all have now made Chase look better for breaking a record, when he did not.

Thanks,
OU Fan. "

OU Fan (or Sooners75), let me give you some advice. When you write such a letter in the future, don't just say, "You are wrong and this is right." When you do that, you don't have much credibility. Mmmm, K?

It is MUCH more effective to say something like:

According to the Big XII's recent press release, Chase Daniels holds the consecutive completions record at 20. However, according to [put credible source here: NCAA website, maybe, Big XII stat book, possibly, OU media guide is good also. A previous AP report would be ueber great], Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford completed 22 consecutive passes against the University of Miami (FL) on September 8, 2007 in Norman, Oklahoma.

That format is a lot better because, 1, the AP can go check the source and if they are wrong, AP will actually retract it. And 2, because if you are wrong, they can check the source, see that the source is wrong, and reply that "so and so source is erroneous, but thank you for your interest in our reporting," and then the editors of the source look stupid, instead of you.

snp
9/22/2008, 08:39 PM
OU Fan (or Sooners75), let me give you some advice. When you write such a letter in the future, don't just say, "You are wrong and this is right." When you do that, you don't have much credibility. Mmmm, K?

It is MUCH more effective to say something like:

According to the Big XII's recent press release, Chase Daniels holds the consecutive completions record at 20. However, according to [put credible source here: NCAA website, maybe, Big XII stat book, possibly, OU media guide is good also. A previous AP report would be ueber great], Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford completed 22 consecutive passes against the University of Miami (FL) on September 8, 2007 in Norman, Oklahoma.

That format is a lot better because, 1, the AP can go check the source and if they are wrong, AP will actually retract it. And 2, because if you are wrong, they can check the source, see that the source is wrong, and reply that "so and so source is erroneous, but thank you for your interest in our reporting," and then the editors of the source look stupid, instead of you.

Now let me give you some advice - read the thread or do your own research if you're going to try and chide someone. A number of us have stated that Bradford's record was over 2 games, not against Miami.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272510201

That took me 8 seconds to look up. Not that hard.

KingBarry
9/22/2008, 09:53 PM
snp,

Please read my post. Again, until you can understand it. My comments to another poster did not involve you or your statistics at all.

I was commenting only on sooners75 and his email to the AP. Don`t you think it would be better if, in writing to the AP, he or she had cited a source? I could complain to the AP that I have the biggest brain in the world, and am offended that they don`t write about it. But unless I offer some evidence that I have an unusually large brain, I don`t expect that they will take it very seriously.

As I would like for the AP to take the Sooners more seriously, I think it is in both mine and sooners75`s interest to engage them in a more positive manner.

snp
9/22/2008, 10:05 PM
I understand it just fine. I don't see why you'd go through all that trouble trying to critique a terrible email if you're going to use bad information and not even mention that the info is wrong in the first place when you include multiple sentences on where to source that info. It looked like an oversight on your part.

Personally, I'd prefer people who know what they're talking about to reply to the pundits.

Curly Bill
9/22/2008, 10:14 PM
I think we should all write to the AP so they will take the Sooners more seriously. :rolleyes: ;) :D

starclassic tama
9/22/2008, 10:52 PM
it's amazing the guy is a senior and people still don't know his name is chase DANIEL without an S

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2008, 01:10 AM
I was commenting only on sooners75 and his email to the AP. Don`t you think it would be better if, in writing to the AP, he or she had cited a source? I could complain to the AP that I have the biggest brain in the world, and am offended that they don`t write about it.

I'll call the AP and tell them your brain is almost as big as mine. That should do it.

MiccoMacey
9/23/2008, 08:17 AM
They wouldn't believe you...not without a link. ;)

starclassic tama
9/24/2008, 01:05 AM
the quarterback play in this conference this year is absolutely amazing. the only team i can think of in the entire conference without a really good quarterback would be iowa state. hell even baylor pulled some kid out of nowhere who is a stud

DallasSooner87
9/24/2008, 01:33 AM
I particularly like this head to head stat.

Sam-2 Booger Eater-0

OU_Sooners75
9/24/2008, 01:56 AM
Which includes not relying on WIKI for your research. If you would've taken 2 seconds and looked around, you'd see he went 19/25 against Miami.

OH well. He completed 22 consecutive passes. That is a fact. And that fact, and how ESPiN reported it, overshadows anything Daniels did against one of their weak opponents.

Thanks for the red.