PDA

View Full Version : Its all TRRW fault!

oumartin
9/21/2008, 09:12 PM
He's not even playing and there are green bay receivers running wide open down the field. somehow this is because he cannot cover from his postion on the sideline while wearing a cast.

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 09:18 PM
Well, at least they won't be calling any "horse collar" penalties now because no one before or after him ever did the same thing :rolleyes:

58sooner
9/21/2008, 09:18 PM
Yea some of the fans actually thought him getting hurt would help?

sooner59
9/21/2008, 09:25 PM
Well, at least they won't be calling any "horse collar" penalties now because no one before or after him ever did the same thing :rolleyes:

Including NCAA apparently. I actively began counting during games I watched this season when I learned that the NCAA was enforcing that penalty this year, and I have not seen one called. I have watched a majority of over 25 games thus far this season and have seen at least 5 or 6 blatantly obvious horsecollars so far. I am indifferent about the rule, probably saves some injuries. But why even have it if you don't enforce it?

Has anyone else on here seen that penalty enforced in the NCAA this season?

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 09:34 PM
I have seen it called a couple of times in NCAA games. The amazing thing was that I was watching a show on NFL Network about the "greatest' players or something like that. They had a profile of Deacon Jones on there and in the clips they showed 4 of them (out of about 10-15) were what they would call horse collar tackles now. Almost all of them were him running down a QB from behind and tackling them with the shoulder pads.

sooner59
9/21/2008, 10:21 PM
I just wish they would do their job. If they are supposed to call it, then call it. If not, then don't. Apparently NCAA refs are not comfortable with calling the horsecollar, so they need to get their stuff together. If Sam Bradford or anyone else on our team got horsecollared, I would be livid. I just want them to do their job.

oumartin
9/21/2008, 10:26 PM
i think its all hogwash.

Its freakin' football not basket weaving. If you can get your hand on it then use it (except the facemask).

I have the roughing the passer penalty and hitting a defenseless receiver penalties too.

StoopTroup
9/21/2008, 10:39 PM
He's at home polishing the chrome on his wheelchair.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2008, 11:19 PM
I just wish they would do their job. If they are supposed to call it, then call it. If not, then don't. Apparently NCAA refs are not comfortable with calling the horsecollar, so they need to get their stuff together. If Sam Bradford or anyone else on our team got horsecollared, I would be livid. I just want them to do their job.

I've seen 1 called and 4-5 that should have been. I've seen maybe a dozen "half horse collars" that were correctly not called. That's the play where the defender grabs the collar to control the runner then finishes the tackle some other way. Perfectly legal. The rule does not apply to QBs in the pocket, so it won't help Sam unless he's scrambling.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2008, 11:25 PM
i think its all hogwash.

Its freakin' football not basket weaving. If you can get your hand on it then use it (except the facemask).

I have the roughing the passer penalty and hitting a defenseless receiver penalties too.

You're argument makes no sense. If you don't like rules to protect player safety, why is the facemask rule sacred ?

sooner59
9/21/2008, 11:29 PM
You support my claim then. They are not called for the most part. I understand that Sam would have to scramble to get it called, but im also looking out for the rest of our team. AD had a blatant horsecollar against him at Oregon, but it was perfectly legal then. Im just saying that since its technically an NCAA rule, it should be enforced like any other rule. I could see myself being very mad if it weren't called against a team we were playing and it were (for some reason) called against us. If we did it, well we should have known. But if the opposing team cost us the game because of a horsecollar, I would go crazy. I just want the zebras to do what they are paid to do...unfortunately, they normally fail every year.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 04:00 AM
Yes, I support your claim. The refs seem to be able to call the face mask penalty consistently and the horse collar should be as easy to spot. The big difference is that there is no legal mask grab to gain control of the runner like there is with the horse collar, so I am glad the refs are not flag happy on the legal plays. But the illegal tackles look easy to spot to me because the runner almost always goes down awkwardly.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 05:05 AM
nOObs arguing with nOObs , Yall STFU :rolleyes:
Or do you think Bolivia is Nice this time of year ?

kbsooner21
9/22/2008, 10:36 AM
nOObs arguing with nOObs , Yall STFU :rolleyes:
Or do you think Bolivia is Nice this time of year ?

:les: QUIT HATING ON THE N00BS!!!

Scott D
9/22/2008, 10:40 AM
I have seen it called a couple of times in NCAA games. The amazing thing was that I was watching a show on NFL Network about the "greatest' players or something like that. They had a profile of Deacon Jones on there and in the clips they showed 4 of them (out of about 10-15) were what they would call horse collar tackles now. Almost all of them were him running down a QB from behind and tackling them with the shoulder pads.

well they already banned the defensive linemen using the "Head Slap" move because of Deacon Jones. And they banned the "Clothesline" because of Dick 'Nighttrain' Lane ;)

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 11:40 AM
well they already banned the defensive linemen using the "Head Slap" move because of Deacon Jones. And they banned the "Clothesline" because of Dick 'Nighttrain' Lane ;)

Making the head slap illegal was certainly a good rule. It was basically giving the opponent a concussion. And it was *very* effective, so everyone was going to use it. But that was back in the good 'ol days when players had more hair on their chests. A concussion was just gittin' your bell rung and crackin' a few ribs was gettin the wind knockd out of ya. Rub some dirt on it and get back in there, kid.

oumartin
9/22/2008, 11:43 AM
grabbing a facemask can result in a broken neck. Its always been against the rules for good reason.

The rest are just the pussification of football

shaun4411
9/22/2008, 11:44 AM
did dallas lose? good.

TMcGee86
9/22/2008, 11:44 AM
Yea some of the fans actually thought him getting hurt would help?

well the defense did have their best game of the season by far.

just sayin

oumartin
9/22/2008, 11:46 AM
only because Rogers threw the dink and dunk stuff. everytime he threw downfield guys were wide open.

TMcGee86
9/22/2008, 11:58 AM
Not so sure about that. There were six sacks and most of them were coverage sacks. Rogers had a ton of time back there and couldn't really do much of anything most of the night.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 11:59 AM
grabbing a facemask can result in a broken neck. Its always been against the rules for good reason.

The rest are just the pussification of football

If there were no rules aimed at protecting players, I doubt any star player would last a full season. If there were no rules to protect the QB in the pocket and Sam was picking some team apart, do you think the D would hesitate to try to take him out of the game via injury? I find football or any other sport pretty darn boring without the star players doing amazing things. I wouldn't watch and many others wouldn't watch, so there are 10 of millions of dollars at stake. Certainly in the NFL, but at major college programs too.

Scott D
9/22/2008, 12:32 PM
Making the head slap illegal was certainly a good rule. It was basically giving the opponent a concussion. And it was *very* effective, so everyone was going to use it. But that was back in the good 'ol days when players had more hair on their chests. A concussion was just gittin' your bell rung and crackin' a few ribs was gettin the wind knockd out of ya. Rub some dirt on it and get back in there, kid.

I never said it was bad, I was just pointing out that the effectiveness of some players with a certain method was considered the impetus for getting rid of certain means of gaining an advantage in the NFL. You could make an argument the other way that had McNabb and T.O. not had their ankles broken in separate incidents that the horse collar would still be a legal tackling method.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2008, 12:49 PM
I never said it was bad, I was just pointing out that the effectiveness of some players with a certain method was considered the impetus for getting rid of certain means of gaining an advantage in the NFL. You could make an argument the other way that had McNabb and T.O. not had their ankles broken in separate incidents that the horse collar would still be a legal tackling method.

Hey Scott D, I was really agreeing with you. Every time the subject of player protection rules comes up, there a predictable flood of postings that the game is getting soft. That always amazes me because of the number of players that continue to get injured and miss a full season or even end their career. The game is as brutal as its ever been and the players are bigger/faster/stronger so the hits are harder. Kinetic energy goes up with the *square* of velocity and momentum goes up linearly with mass. I.e. most of us wouldn't last a few plays out there. Player protection rules are something both football and hockey have to deal with. The bottom line is that the easiet way to win in either sport is to have your journeyman player take out the other guys star player. But in the bigger picture, if there are no star players, the stands become empty and the game dies out, so it becomes a win the battle and lose the war scenerio. I don't have all the answers, but I appreciate the problem the governors of the game are dealing with.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 04:06 PM
:les: QUIT HATING ON THE N00BS!!!

Are you trying to Finalise yer reservation to Bolivia ?
And its nOObs . Ya nOOb.:rolleyes: