PDA

View Full Version : Throwing oranges this weekend???

SeattleOUstudent
9/21/2008, 06:32 PM
Do we start this week or wait till after Texas to start the oranges? I think TCU deserves to have their faces rubbed in some orange after the last time they visited.

mmmkaythx:pop:

crimsonclass
9/21/2008, 06:37 PM
But, we want to play in the BCS National Championship Game; NOT the Orange Bowl. (this goes back to the old saying "be careful what you ask for...")

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

CatfishSooner
9/21/2008, 06:37 PM
osu...

StormySooner-IN
9/21/2008, 06:43 PM
heh.

yea....be careful what you wish for.

id like to throw an orange tho just cause im goin. :D

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 06:45 PM
Wait until Nebraska comes to town.

StoopTroup
9/21/2008, 06:50 PM
I think the days of throwing oranges is over due to the Big XII Championship Game...

But if any of ya want to throw em...

God Bless ya!

I miss some of the old days when some of the stuff that made certain games special...were still arOUNd.

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 07:23 PM
I think the days of throwing oranges is over due to the Big XII Championship Game...

But if any of ya want to throw em...

God Bless ya!

I miss some of the old days when some of the stuff that made certain games special...were still arOUNd.Maybe so but I have to think that seeing oranges on the field, while watching the game in Lincoln, NE would almost be like turning the knife a little. heh, reminding the bugeaters that they are light years away from an Orange Bowl, BCS, whatever is good times.:D

sooneron
9/21/2008, 07:27 PM
Maybe so but I have to think that seeing oranges on the field, while watching the game in Lincoln, NE would almost be like turning the knife a little. heh, reminding the bugeaters that they are light years away from an Orange Bowl, BCS, whatever is good times.:D

Concur!:D

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 07:28 PM
Maybe so but I have to think that seeing oranges on the field, while watching the game in Lincoln, NE would almost be like turning the knife a little. heh, reminding the bugeaters that they are light years away from an Orange Bowl, BCS, whatever is good times.:D

I'll foil your plan by being to hammered to comprehend the outcome of the game that point.

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 07:31 PM
I'll foil your plan by being to hammered to comprehend the outcome of the game that point.Well, obviously nothing personal towards you. I just seem to remember a team that started calling themselves "Big Red" running up the score and generally kicking us while we were down. As a matter of fact it was Tommy and he's back. Yep, knife twist time.

:D

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 07:35 PM
Well, obviously nothing personal towards you. I just seem to remember a team that started calling themselves "Big Red" running up the score and generally kicking us while we were down. As a matter of fact it was Tommy and he's back. Yep, knife twist time.

I hoping the fact the game is in Norman will keep the score down as Stoops will be able to dress out and play everybody. Missouri might be worse for use since they have a bigger score to settle with us, and only the traveling roster.

sooneron
9/21/2008, 07:35 PM
They'll never be Big Red to me.

Cool, rip off another team in your own conference. :rolleyes:

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 07:36 PM
They'll never be Big Red to me.

Cool, rip off another team in your own conference. :rolleyes:

Until I came here, I had no idea that OU referred to themselves as "Big Red".

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 07:45 PM
Until I came here, I had no idea that OU referred to themselves as "Big Red".
In 1941 Dewey "Snorter" Luster started calling us Big Red. We even had a mascot named little red that you guys ripped off. I still can't believe you all did that.

I believe you all were still "bug eaters" when we started using Big Red and if you ever attend an Sooner sporting event, you'll here the band play a little diddy that ends in "Go Big Red." to this very day.

I think Neb started latching on as a result of the media. They started calling the game the battle of the big red and Neb took it seriously.

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 07:53 PM
In 1941 Dewey "Snorter" Luster started calling us Big Red. We even had a mascot named little red that you guys ripped off. I still can't believe you all did that.

I believe you all were still "bug eaters" when we started using Big Red and if you ever attend an Sooner sporting event, you'll here the band play a little diddy that ends in "Go Big Red." to this very day.

I think Neb started latching on as a result of the media. They started calling the game the battle of the big red and Neb took it seriously.

All I know is during my lifetime Nebraska has used it extensively. I'm assuming it did catch on sometime before 1982 up here though.

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 08:00 PM
I never really liked the "Big Red" moniker for OU, since Cornell University pretty much has a claim on it well before OU. It has been the name of their teams since 1905.

CornellBigRed.com - FAQ (http://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007/7/31/FAQ.aspx?tab=faq)
Q: Why is your nickname the Big Red?

A: The nickname "Big Red" for Cornell teams originated in 1905. The late Romeyn Berry '04, then a recent Cornell graduate, was writing the lyrics for a new football song. Since Cornell had no nickname at the time, Berry simply referred to Cornell as the "big red team" and it caught on. Berry was graduate manager of athletics from 1919 through 1935 and was recognized as an outstanding authority on Cornell, its traditions and personalities. He was a distinguished writer and newspaper columnist locally. For his musical composition Berry won $25. The song earned a spot in the Cornell Verses, joining rowing songs and other lyrics descriptive of Cornell life.

The Big, Red Team
See them plunging down to the goal
See the ruddy banners stream
Hear the crashing echoes roll
As we cheer for the big, red team
Yea! Yea! Yea!
Chorus
Cheer till the sound wakes the blue hills around
Make the scream of the north wind yield
To the strength of the yell from the men of Cornell
When the big, red team takes the field
Yea! Yea! Yea!

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 08:04 PM
All I know is during my lifetime Nebraska has used it extensively. I'm assuming it did catch on sometime before 1982 up here though.
Yeah, cuz I can remember when they didn't use Big Red back in the late 70's.

To be honest we stole it from Harvard or Yale or something.

We stopped using "Little Red" in the 70's too. He was a native American and one of the first victims of political correctness. I'm still waiting for the little fat white dude lobby to make Nebraska stop using "lil' Red." :D

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 08:07 PM
Harvard is "The Crimson" and that is their color also. Yale is the Bulldogs and their colors are blue and white.

Johnny Utah
It's a hellava lot better than chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC"!

KC//CRIMSON
Throwing objects on the field should be left to drunks and the mentally challenged. Or the drunk mentally challenged.

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 08:08 PM

That's for sure.......

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 08:11 PM

We stopped using "Little Red" in the 70's too. He was a native American and one of the first victims of political correctness. I'm still waiting for the little fat white dude lobby to make Nebraska stop using "lil' Red." :D

We keep Lil' Red around to terrify the children. It's his sole purpose. I remember Nebraska throwing oranges but a cop (I think) got hit in the head and seriously injured by a frozen one in the early 90's.(1991, I think, I remember Calvin Jones running for a bunch of yards, and it was cold and wet)
and it was cracked down upon then.

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 08:12 PM
Throwing objects on the field should be left to drunks and the mentally challenged. Or the drunk mentally challenged.Yeah, because everyone in Nebraska, Oklahoma and occasionally Colorado that ever did that are how you describe them.:rolleyes:

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 08:15 PM
We keep Lil' Red around to terrify the children. It's his sole purpose. I remember Nebraska throwing oranges but a cop (I think) got hit in the head and seriously injured by a frozen one in the early 90's.(1991, I think, I remember Calvin Jones running for a bunch of yards, and it was cold and wet)Well, that sucks. It's always a few bad apples (oranges?) that seem to turn a relatively benign and quaint little act into violence, ruining it for the rest of us.

KC//CRIMSON
9/21/2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah, because everyone in Nebraska, Oklahoma and occasionally Colorado that ever did that are how you describe them.:rolleyes:

Tell that to the people who have been injured by those same objects, chuckles.

Not to mention how much of a dumb*ss it makes you look like.

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 08:18 PM

Not to mention how much of a dumb*ss it makes you look like.see above post. People who have hurt people doing are stupid. People that bring one orange and throw it into the endzone at the end of the game are not. You must have missed the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's (albeit only on Nebraska's part) when nobody was hurt.

bri
9/21/2008, 08:19 PM
Throwing objects on the field should be left to drunks and the mentally challenged. Or the drunk mentally challenged.

Says the guy that I handed an orange to on the shuttle to Arrowhead in 2004. :D

We keep Lil' Red around to terrify the children. It's his sole purpose. I remember Nebraska throwing oranges but a cop (I think) got hit in the head and seriously injured by a frozen one in the early 90's.(1991, I think, I remember Calvin Jones running for a bunch of yards, and it was cold and wet)
and it was cracked down upon then.

'Cause only the players were allowed to assault people? ;)

KC//CRIMSON
9/21/2008, 08:20 PM
Says the guy that I handed an orange to on the shuttle to Arrowhead in 2004. :D

I ate that orange and you were drunk.

bri
9/21/2008, 08:22 PM
Drunk on winning, you mean.

That game was the first time I ever threw an orange, but the second time I'd taken oranges to a game. Let us never speak of '93 OU/CU ever again. :D

KC//CRIMSON
9/21/2008, 08:24 PM
Drunk on winning, you mean.

That game was the first time I ever threw an orange, but the second time I'd taken oranges to a game. Let us never speak of '93 OU/CU ever again. :D

I never saw you throw anything. However, I did see you get *ock-blocked by a security guard.

bri
9/21/2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, that's 'cause you were sitting in a different section, moran.

As far as getting ****-blocked...yeah, that sounds about right.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/21/2008, 08:27 PM

No kidding..I cant imagine being at an OU game chanting "Big 12, Big 12"....that is uber stupid

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 08:52 PM
'Cause only the players were allowed to assault people? ;)
1) Like everyone hasn't wanted to punch a Mizzou fan at some point, Kellen Houston just got to live the dream. 2) In that other incident, I believe the Norman Jury said Not Guilty.

bri
9/21/2008, 09:02 PM
Heh, you missed the joke like this guy's ex-girlfriend "missed the top stair".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/events/1997/collegebowl/onevstwo/images/96.jpg

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 09:09 PM
Heh, you missed the joke like this guy's ex-girlfriend "missed the top stair".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/events/1997/collegebowl/onevstwo/images/96.jpg

I figured we were just talking about on the field assaults in this thread. Off the field, some people got beaten by a plethora of football players, including one of my roommates.(funny story actually, I probably would have been beaten to if I hadn't just chipped in on a new Pabst keg and decided to stay where I was at) For whatever reason, Nebraska seems to attract assaulty players. Personally, I blame Tom Osborne.

bri
9/21/2008, 09:11 PM
I nominate "assaulty" to become an actual word. 'Cause it's awesome. :D

SouthFortySooner
9/21/2008, 09:19 PM
...have teh horsepigs carry around baskets and a sign. THROW YOUR ORANGES IN HERE! :cool:

bri
9/21/2008, 09:21 PM
I remember the little sample packs of Tostitos Gold they gave everyone at the 2003 Big 12 championship game, and how after K-State upset us to earn a spot in the Fiesta Bowl, they all started throwing them on the field. I couldn't help but think, "Man, that's awfully convenient."

Sooner98
9/21/2008, 10:03 PM

We didn't rip off Big Red from Yale - it came from Cornell, as previously stated.

It was the fight song that we ripped off from Yale.

bri
9/21/2008, 10:17 PM
Well, half ripped off from Yale and half ripped off from North Carolina. Kinda like how Kid Rock ruined both "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolves Of London" for that abortion of a song he had this summer.

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 10:23 PM
Well, half ripped off from Yale and half ripped off from North Carolina. Kinda like how Kid Rock ruined both "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolves Of London" for that abortion of a song he had this summer.

I always knew that OU was the Kid Rock of college football, and this confirms it. Of course, NU is probably the Uncle Kracker, but I digress.

bri
9/21/2008, 10:23 PM
Could be worse; you could be our dead midget.

royalfan5
9/21/2008, 10:26 PM
Could be worse; you could be our dead midget.

I'm pretty sure that is OSU. Mizzou is probably the chick drummer.

bri
9/21/2008, 10:27 PM
If only it were A&M, they could build it a little scoreboard.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/21/2008, 10:54 PM
I always knew that OU was the Kid Rock of college football, and this confirms it. Of course, NU is probably the Uncle Kracker, but I digress.

Which makes Harvard, Yale, and North Carolina the Metallica and Lynard Skynard backing tracks.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/21/2008, 10:55 PM
...and since Chris Simms is very feminine and makes us look good...he's our Sheryl Crow ;)

bri
9/21/2008, 11:23 PM
Who are the chirping crickets supposed to be, Failbot 9000?

MamaMia
9/22/2008, 08:26 AM

Why should you get the hog all the fun?

Not to mention how much of a dumb*ss it makes you look like.Thats what helmets are for.

bri
9/22/2008, 12:16 PM
Well, there you have it. The voice of reason has spoken. All we have to do is get every coach, trainer, manager, ball boy/girl, ref, chain gang member, cheerleader, pom squad member, mascot, sideline reporter, photographer, cameraman, stat keeper, and other various and random guests and dignitaries that are on the field and sidelines during a game to wear helmets and everything should be fine.

CK Sooner
9/22/2008, 12:19 PM
Bring The Oranges!!!

bri
9/22/2008, 12:34 PM
Why? Are we trying to win the ACC?

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/22/2008, 12:42 PM
Heh.

CK Sooner
9/22/2008, 12:42 PM
Bring The Sugar!!!

SeattleOUstudent
9/25/2008, 06:26 PM
Bring it.

KC//CRIMSON
9/25/2008, 06:48 PM
Why should you get the hog all the fun?Thats what helmets are for.

and you're what vasectomy's are for.

shaun4411
9/25/2008, 07:01 PM
and you're what vasectomy's are for.

oohh such tension. somebody needs a lolcat.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/funny-pictures-kitten-foodbowl-eat.jpg

meoveryouxinfinity
9/25/2008, 07:03 PM

I have seen some Texas fans at our home games.

SeattleOUstudent
10/15/2008, 05:05 PM
So basically, hold off on the orange throwing for now??? ;)