PDA

View Full Version : Now that Bob has 100 wins does he pass Bennie,Bud,Barry?

stoopified
9/21/2008, 11:40 AM
I have said since 2000 that if Bob was here long enough to pass Bennie (122-54-16) he would stay here long enough to pass Bud(145-29-4) and Barry(157-29-4).Bob is now only 22 games back of Coach Owen IMHO shows no sign of slowing down.

Dean Blevins says not to count on Bob maintaining his average of 10.8 wins a year because even Bud,Barry had down years.That is true but Bob has a 7-5 and 8-4 record (closely matcing two of Barry's 3 down seasons: 7-4-1,8-4 )on his resume and is still at 10.8 wins a year.The other major factor to consider is we are always playing 12 games and now get a 13th and 14th in many seasons.Bob can lose 3 games in a season and still finish 11-3 or 10-3.

I do think Bob pases Bennie,Barry and Bud all three in the next six years(including this one).The only questions I have are, 1) Will Bob raise his winning percentage up to match Bud or Barry, and 2) does he mtch or surpass 3 NCs.

I hope so and look forward to watching it happen.

Ell the first part of this WILL be answered Saturday when OU entertains the Cyclones,as Bo should get win #123 and pass Bennie.If OU finshes even at 10-3 this season,Bob would be at 127 wins only 18 shy of Bud and 30 short of Barry.I still think Bob is on track to pass Barry by the end of his 15th season.

boomrsoonr
9/21/2008, 11:47 AM
I think, and hope, that Coach Stoops is here for the long run. I think Barry, had he not taken so much flak for giving a kid an airplane ticket to go home and the Charles Thompson fiasco, would still be coaching and would have surpassed both Paterno and Bowden. I see Stoops doing the same thing, as long as he doesn't get fed up with the NCAA and some of their BS.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/21/2008, 11:58 AM
I don't remember where I read it...but I know I've seen/heard Barry say before that he would've probably quit/retired sometime in the mid-to-late 90s had the airplane/Thompson/gang rape/rap tape shooting not occurred. No 50+ year old man wants to run around pimping himself to 17 and 18-year-old kids...and today's recruits are a lot less humble than yesterday's recruits.

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 12:20 PM
No 50+ year old man wants to run around pimping himself to 17 and 18-year-old kids...and today's recruits are a lot less humble than yesterday's recruits.
It seems there are a bunch of ones who disagree with your opinion with Paterno and Bowden being the oldest examples. I would venture to say that a majority of head coaches are closer to 50 in age than not.

rondog79
9/22/2008, 01:18 PM
bob is da man

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:19 PM
I have said since 2000 that if Bob was here long enough to pass Bennie (122-54-16) he would stay here long enough to pass Bud(145-29-4) and Barry(157-29-4).Bob is now only 22 games back of Coach Owen IMHO shows no sign of slowing down.

Dean Blevins says not to count on Bob maintaining his average of 10.8 wins a year because even Bud,Barry had down years.That is true but Bob has a 7-5 and 8-4 record (closely matcing two of Barry's 3 down seasons: 7-4-1,8-4 )on his resume and is still at 10.8 wins a year.The other major factor to consider is we are always playing 12 games and now get a 13th and 14th in many seasons.Bob can lose 3 games in a season and still finish 11-3 or 10-3.

I do think Bob pases Bennie,Barry and Bud all three in the next six years(including this one).The only questions I have are, 1) Will Bob raise his winning percentage up to match Bud or Barry, and 2) does he mtch or surpass 3 NCs.

Oklahoma is a great place to be a head coach.. Bob is doing a fine job and should be commended.. throw out the blake years{ I wish we could} and remember snelly only had what ? One year ? Look at the rest of our coaches. Bud, Barry Gary.. Most of our coaches have been great.. I think I know why... Here's the reason,

There are many many good coaches in college football today my theory is, Bob is no better than a lot of others like Mangino, Leach, {Can't remember names here } The Colorado coach, The TCU coach, Boise St. coach, Many Many more who are not in the top 10 most of the time.. At OU we have a great tradition and we recruit great in part because of that.. If you take Bob and put him at South Carolina and put Spurrier at OU the last few years the two schools would have about the same records they have now.. If you switched Mike Stoops and Bob the last few years same thing.. Bob is not any better than those coaches IMO the reason he has been more successful is because he is coaching at OU and they are not.. Some may disagree with me but i think I am correct in my thinking here.. Now, Having said this I am very glad we have Bob but I believe we could win big with a lot of good coaches..

C&CDean
9/22/2008, 01:38 PM
Oklahoma is a great place to be a head coach.. Bob is doing a fine job and should be commended.. throw out the blake years{ I wish we could} and remember snelly only had what ? One year ? Look at the rest of our coaches. Bud, Barry Gary.. Most of our coaches have been great.. I think I know why... Here's the reason,

There are many many good coaches in college football today my theory is, Bob is no better than a lot of others like Mangino, Leach, {Can't remember names here } The Colorado coach, The TCU coach, Boise St. coach, Many Many more who are not in the top 10 most of the time.. At OU we have a great tradition and we recruit great in part because of that.. If you take Bob and put him at South Carolina and put Spurrier at OU the last few years the two schools would have about the same records they have now.. If you switched Mike Stoops and Bob the last few years same thing.. Bob is not any better than those coaches IMO the reason he has been more successful is because he is coaching at OU and they are not.. Some may disagree with me but i think I am correct in my thinking here.. Now, Having said this I am very glad we have Bob but I believe we could win big with a lot of good coaches..

OK. I'll say it. I disagree with you.

Bob took Blake's 3-8 players and won. Bigtime. Did the tradition that is OU take a hiatus during the 90's? Spurrier? He's an offensive coach. Stoops is a defensive guy. Defense wins championships, and without Bob, Spurrier never would have gotten his ring at Florida.

Your thinking is a very long way from "correct."

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:43 PM
OK. I'll say it. I disagree with you.

Bob took Blake's 3-8 players and won. Bigtime. Did the tradition that is OU take a hiatus during the 90's? Spurrier? He's an offensive coach. Stoops is a defensive guy. Defense wins championships, and without Bob, Spurrier never would have gotten his ring at Florida.

Your thinking is a very long way from "correct."

Ok, You have your opinion I have mine. Yes Spurrier is an offensive coach but Ya know, He COULD hire a good D Coordinator... Yes Stoops took blakes players and won a NC but Blake can't coach and Stoops can but so can a BUNCH of coaches.. I think i am correct...

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry double post !

C&CDean
9/22/2008, 01:46 PM
Well it's a good thing you do, cause I don't think many other folks feel the same way.

soonermix
9/22/2008, 01:47 PM

i also have to disagree and i will put up the example of k-state. if you look at that program bill snyder took the laughing stock of college football and built them into a national threat for about 10 years and look at them now back to being bottom dwellers of the big 12 so coaching has quite a bit to do with things

JohnnyMack
9/22/2008, 01:49 PM

Dennis Franchione and Tyrone Willingham respectfully disagree.

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:49 PM
i also have to disagree and i will put up the example of k-state. if you look at that program bill snyder took the laughing stock of college football and built them into a national threat for about 10 years and look at them now back to being bottom dwellers of the big 12 so coaching has quite a bit to do with things

Yes, I agree and especially at K State but I think at OU not quite so much maybe... Don't you think Snyder would have won a NC at OU ? I do.. Snyder was a GREAT coach...

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:50 PM
Dennis Franchione and Tyrone Willingham respectfully disagree.

I think they would win at OU !

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:51 PM
Well it's a good thing you do, cause I don't think many other folks feel the same way.

I don't have a problem with that as long as you don't have a problem with me having my opinion ?

oumartin
9/22/2008, 01:53 PM
My gut says Bob is not here much longer. I hope I am wrong and we all know his family loves it here but as he has stated many times before. You never know what things lay ahead and what the future brings.

I would like to see him win the NC this year and if he decides he wants to move on I'll be okay with that.

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 01:55 PM
My gut says Bob is not here much longer. I hope I am wrong and we all know his family loves it here but as he has stated many times before. You never know what things lay ahead and what the future brings.

I would like to see him win the NC this year and if he decides he wants to move on I'll be okay with that.

I agree, I hope he stays a while longer but his job is a high stress job and I wouldn't blame him at all If he were to leave in the next year or so..

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/22/2008, 01:56 PM
It seems there are a bunch of ones who disagree with your opinion with Paterno and Bowden being the oldest examples. I would venture to say that a majority of head coaches are closer to 50 in age than not.

Oh c'mon, you can't tell me that Paterno and Bowden are still going around to recruits living rooms, promising Heismans, and claiming every year is their year for a national championship, especially now that we have Johnny SkillPlayer on our team. I'm sure the assistant coaches are handling most of that by now, with Bowden and Paterno serving as little more than figureheads when it comes to recruiting.

C&CDean
9/22/2008, 02:15 PM
I don't have a problem with that as long as you don't have a problem with me having my opinion ?

A problem with it? Nah. It's just wronger than wrong.

And I'll bet Bob wins 200 at OU before he's done. Should only take him about 8 more years.

Jeronimo
9/22/2008, 02:21 PM
i wonder about this issue from time to time too. I've come to the conclusion that Bob Stoops is here now. Lets just enjoy having him here coaching at Oklahoma while we have him. I am fortunate to say I was alive and saw Barry's great teams of the mid-late 80's, I saw the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's, I saw Barry Sanders do things i still cant believe, I saw Michael Jordan absolutely DOMINATE an entire sport for 6 years (8 if he hadnt took time off :) I saw the New York Yankees return to glory 4 out of 5 years and watched Yankee Stadium go out last night. Course these are my personal favorite teams as such, but I'm sure you all have your own experiences.

And I got to see Bobby Stoops bring back the mighty monster that is OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL. And he's still here winning. I thank God I was born in the era He let me. When Bob decides to leave, thanks for everything. The memories, the championships, and mostly the pride of being a Sooner. Then we'll find the next great coach in line. hopefully wont take as long as it did to find a guy like Bob, but it is inevitable for a program like Oklahoma.

Moral of the story: dont waste the time Bob is here winning with thoughts of him leaving. Enjoy these saturdays. The tailgating, the feel of being in Norman knowing these Sooners are BADASS. I say this because I damn well remember walking into Owen Field with ease wondering if we'll just lose or be embarassed that day in the mid-late 90's.

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 02:25 PM
A problem with it? Nah. It's just wronger than wrong.

And I'll bet Bob wins 200 at OU before he's done. Should only take him about 8 more years.

Thanks for your opinion.. Mine is correct.. I hope Bob does win 200.. I think you are wrong..

JohnnyMack
9/22/2008, 02:28 PM
http://enigma.dune.net/~eric/Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

KantoSooner
9/22/2008, 02:30 PM
You don't get to the top of slippery pole that is big league coaching without a huge amount of wanna. I don't see Stoops leaving for a while to come. How old are his kids? Next danger zone is when the last one leaves home, I believe.

What? You think he'd quit OU to go fishing or mow the lawn for the rest of his life? I think he's more self-aware than that and knows he'd be very unhappy without the stress/thrill of coaching.

BornandBred
9/22/2008, 02:32 PM
I can't remember when or where I heard it, but Bob said he didn't want to do it like Bowden of JoePa. I think if he wins the MNC this year, he MAY be gone. I'd give it a 30% chance. If he doesn't leave, he'll stick around a couple years and leave, hopefully on a high note. It kills me when I hear grumblings of OU fans about how he should win bowl games or leave. I hope if/when he leaves he does it on his terms with no regrets. He is/has been great for OU.

MojoRisen
9/22/2008, 02:39 PM
How much do we think Bob makes in a year with endorsements included?

Bob has it made at Oklahoma, he can compete every year for #1 and finish in the top 10... People love him and treat him like a god.

I don't think he has really much incentive at all to leave in the next 10 years - then it may be off to disneyland.

He must make 5 million a year guaranteed for the next however long he wants to coach...

boomermagic
9/22/2008, 02:45 PM
i wonder about this issue from time to time too. I've come to the conclusion that Bob Stoops is here now. Lets just enjoy having him here coaching at Oklahoma while we have him. I am fortunate to say I was alive and saw Barry's great teams of the mid-late 80's, I saw the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90's, I saw Barry Sanders do things i still cant believe, I saw Michael Jordan absolutely DOMINATE an entire sport for 6 years (8 if he hadnt took time off :) I saw the New York Yankees return to glory 4 out of 5 years and watched Yankee Stadium go out last night. Course these are my personal favorite teams as such, but I'm sure you all have your own experiences.

And I got to see Bobby Stoops bring back the mighty monster that is OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL. And he's still here winning. I thank God I was born in the era He let me. When Bob decides to leave, thanks for everything. The memories, the championships, and mostly the pride of being a Sooner. Then we'll find the next great coach in line. hopefully wont take as long as it did to find a guy like Bob, but it is inevitable for a program like Oklahoma.

Moral of the story: dont waste the time Bob is here winning with thoughts of him leaving. Enjoy these saturdays. The tailgating, the feel of being in Norman knowing these Sooners are BADASS. I say this because I damn well remember walking into Owen Field with ease wondering if we'll just lose or be embarassed that day in the mid-late 90's.

All Great points and I agree !!

KingBarry
9/22/2008, 03:56 PM

I can turn that example on its head. Snyder, prick that he was, could well be one of College Football's all time greats. Still, the man won one conference championship in his 15 or 20 years, and was never really in the national picture at all.

Put him at Oklahoma, put him at Florida, put him at USC, he may well have been standing next to Bowden and Paterno.

Sustaining a great football team over time requires BOTH a great program -- that provides ravenous fans to get kids excited about playing for something bigger than themselves; resources to pay for coaches and trainers, equipment, housing and recruiting; national media interest to entice top recruits, all this and more. It also requires great coaching, to see that players are in shape, motivated, work from the same page, are properly gameplanned, and are given plays that will work most of the time.

In the 80s, and I remember it well, most Oklahomans were of the opinion that coaching didn't really matter. We had such a great program that any pretty competent coach could win in Norman. (Barry Switzer often said such things himself.) In the 90s, we learned otherwise.

And boomermagic, I take issue with your assertion that Gary (I assume Gibbs) was "great." He was really pretty good, and certainly better than his next two successors, but he was not great.

He is a Sooner Great and he has nothing to hang his head about. He worked hard and did his absolute best while Head Coach, but the team never played "above its head" and often just seemed deflated during decisive points in games. (I think he wasn't quite ready to be head coach, and I keep hoping he'll get another chance.)

OUthunder
9/22/2008, 06:16 PM
Yes, I agree and especially at K State but I think at OU not quite so much maybe... Don't you think Snyder would have won a NC at OU ? I do.. Snyder was a GREAT coach...

Hmmn, Snyder was a good coach not a great coach. Yes, he had a nice run but look how fast he was run out of town. He was waaaaay too conservative.

How many times did Snyder play for the National Title? ZERO

I can't remeber the exact year, but the year they got beat by A&M in the conference championship game was his best team and probably the best team in the country that year, but they got beat by A&M. BTW, they had that game locked up but he became waaaay to conservative in his play calling and let A&M back in the game and it beat em.

bluedogok
9/22/2008, 09:36 PM
You don't have to "win" a title to be considered "great" there are quite a few out there who have won one title and no one would consider them great like Smellsofbourbon. Snyder may not have won or played for the title but he was great for turning a program that was #1 on Penthouse's 20 Worst Teams list every year for about 20 or so years. They were so bad that they couldn't have beat many NAIA or D-II teams of the era. The last KSU win against OU before the 1993-7 run was 1970 and most of those games were big blowouts. OU won from 1937 until 1968 and they had a bunch of 0's on their side of the scoreboard.

Even Switzer has said that was the best coaching job ever done, and look at all of the head coaches that have come off of his staff, starting with Stoops.

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2008, 01:06 AM
The coach is mostly an organizational leader. His job is to put his assistant coaches in positions that they can be successful. For the most part, they have to be visionary and good judges of talent. They do far less in terms of X's and O's than most think.

Bob has done a great job of being an organizational leader. How many coaches can do as well? Not that many. But again, it has little to do with football knowledge or being motivational, and more to personnel management. Some just have it. Others don't.

aurorasooner
9/23/2008, 01:44 AM
We got pretty lucky with Bob. JMHO, but there is no way he (or probably any other of the top-notch coaches mentioned earlier) would've turned around our program that fast after the Boo Blake fiasco w/o having an exceptional ready-made assistant coaching staff in Mangino, M.Stoops, BV eager & ready to get the H%$$ out of KSU and away from Snyder. That staff had benefited greatly from the Blake/SmellsofBourbon era at OU and were recruiting the Midlands and Texas much better than Blake or Smelly, and their midlands/Texas recruiting contacts alone were a windfall for OU. Plus they were great coaches who could squeeze a lot out of a little, had the nutz to win games by outcoaching their opponent's staff on game day, and all them worked as a team, as well. I'm still surprised by BV leaving KSU.
Same with Leach. w/o the Mumme/Kentucky,NCAA problems on the horizon, who knows if Leach would've taken the chance and made a lateral move form OC to OC under a non-proven assistant coach as head coach. Lucky for Leach he left Kentucky when he did, or he might be at New Mexico State as OC. W/O Leach we would've probably never discovered Heupel (although that's debatable).
Things just worked out right for not only OU but Bob as well, as after the quick turnaround & 2000 NC, with Leach getting a head-coaching job before and Mangino afterwards & then M.Stoops, 3rd and Long and Sumlin, quality assistants were ready, available and willing to coach for Bob and a shot at the "Really-Big-Coaching-Money". Plus OU assistants certainly aren't paid on the cheap, and don't have to travel too far to recruit quality players, unless they want to.

boomermagic
9/23/2008, 08:07 AM
I can turn that example on its head. Snyder, prick that he was, could well be one of College Football's all time greats. Still, the man won one conference championship in his 15 or 20 years, and was never really in the national picture at all.

Put him at Oklahoma, put him at Florida, put him at USC, he may well have been standing next to Bowden and Paterno.

Sustaining a great football team over time requires BOTH a great program -- that provides ravenous fans to get kids excited about playing for something bigger than themselves; resources to pay for coaches and trainers, equipment, housing and recruiting; national media interest to entice top recruits, all this and more. It also requires great coaching, to see that players are in shape, motivated, work from the same page, are properly gameplanned, and are given plays that will work most of the time.

In the 80s, and I remember it well, most Oklahomans were of the opinion that coaching didn't really matter. We had such a great program that any pretty competent coach could win in Norman. (Barry Switzer often said such things himself.) In the 90s, we learned otherwise.

And boomermagic, I take issue with your assertion that Gary (I assume Gibbs) was "great." He was really pretty good, and certainly better than his next two successors, but he was not great.

He is a Sooner Great and he has nothing to hang his head about. He worked hard and did his absolute best while Head Coach, but the team never played "above its head" and often just seemed deflated during decisive points in games. (I think he wasn't quite ready to be head coach, and I keep hoping he'll get another chance.)

I agree that Gibbs was not a great coach but he was still a winner.. His biggest challenge was he followed Barry who I think was the very best but anyway, I don't think you have to be a great coach to win at OU.. I think you can be a very good head coach and become known as a GREAT coach after a few years at OU. There are exceptions to every rule but I still believe that is the case..
No, If Snyder had coached at OU, Usc etc.. Paterno and Bowden would have been standing BEHIND him.. He was that good... When I say Gibbs was not a great coach I mean Head coach he was a great assistant..

stoopified
9/23/2008, 02:06 PM
I can't remember when or where I heard it, but Bob said he didn't want to do it like Bowden of JoePa. I think if he wins the MNC this year, he MAY be gone. I'd give it a 30% chance. If he doesn't leave, he'll stick around a couple years and leave, hopefully on a high note. It kills me when I hear grumblings of OU fans about how he should win bowl games or leave. I hope if/when he leaves he does it on his terms with no regrets. He is/has been great for OU.Yes Bob has said that BUT BobbyB and Joe Pa are in their 70's.Bob could stay at OU 10 more years and still only be 58.I think that is what he meant IMHO ,that he doesn't want to be a coach into his 70's.

His youngest kids are the twins(Issac and Drake) they are about 10 now.If Bob just stays until they graduate HIGH SCHOOL that is 8 more years.Stay 20 years and the boys are well into their college life and Bob is still only 58.He might then take a shot at the NFL,figuring he has nothing to lose beause if he gets fired after 2-4 years he can retire and be Legendary Coach Emeritus at OU(like Barry is now).

Josh Heupel would be around FORTY( and be a man)and ready to be the next coach.

Jeronimo
9/23/2008, 07:14 PM
this is a really good thread. some great arguments.

stoopified
10/15/2010, 03:43 PM

Ell the first part of this WILL be answered Saturday when OU entertains the Cyclones,as Bo should get win #123 and pass Bennie.If OU finshes even at 10-3 this season,Bob would be at 127 wins only 18 shy of Bud and 30 short of Barry.I still think Bob is on track to pass Barry by the end of his 15th season.Just thought I would dig up this thread with Bob being at 122-29>Does anyone think Bob will leave OU without passing Bud,Barry NOW?

soonervegas
10/15/2010, 03:47 PM
Bob has at least 7-8 more years of tread on the tires. Retiring at 57-58 is young these days.

I really hope he can snag a 2nd national title in 2010 (outside shot) or 2011 (good shot).

SoonerLVZ
10/15/2010, 03:59 PM
I think Bob will pass Barry and Bud in 3/4 years (if we have an off year, reload and only when 8 games).

The better question now is when/if he gets above Switzer does he want to stay for 200 wins?

stoopified
8/22/2013, 08:04 AM

Ell the first part of this WILL be answered Saturday when OU entertains the Cyclones,as Bo should get win #123 and pass Bennie.If OU finshes even at 10-3 this season,Bob would be at 127 wins only 18 shy of Bud and 30 short of Barry.I still think Bob is on track to pass Barry by the end of his 15th season.If Bob wins 9 games this year,my prediction will come to pass.

badger
8/22/2013, 09:18 AM
10-win seasons aren't what they used to be. Is it fair to compare Bud and Barry's wins to Bob's when he gets to play 13-14 games each season?

Sabanball
8/22/2013, 03:11 PM
10-win seasons aren't what they used to be. Is it fair to compare Bud and Barry's wins to Bob's when he gets to play 13-14 games each season?

I agree--10 win seasons have lost some of their luster, and will continue to do so with the beginning of a playoff system next year. Remember, too that Barry and Bud also got to coach in an era without a lot of the rules like we have today and no scholly limitations, thus I don't think that diminishes what Bob has accomplished one bit. However, Ive always thought OU fans were like us Bama fans in that 10 win seasons don't get it and are really irrelevant anyway--both of our fan bases demand and expect championships. Only programs and their fans like Auburn and Okie State go around bragging about '10 win seasons', not top 3 all-time programs like OU or Bama.

stoopified
8/22/2013, 03:25 PM
10-win seasons aren't what they used to be. Is it fair to compare Bud and Barry's wins to Bob's when he gets to play 13-14 games each season? That is the naure of the beast in setting and breaking records . It took Emmit Smith more games to set his record than it took Payton or for that matter Jim Brown. Babe Ruth set homerun records broken by guys who played many more games in a career than he did.Likewise Landry broke Bradford's records lardely by playing more games.Switzer coached 190 games in 16 years while Wilkinson coached 178 games in 17 years.

This thread was and is about Bob setting the wins record at OU,at no time am I comparing Bob to Barry,Bennie,and Bud,not saying Bob is better than (or worse for that matter) the other members of OU's BIG FOUR. I personaly cannot rank the coaches as to who the best OU coach ever.There is a case for all four IMHO.

What Bud did in no way diminishes what Bennie did,what Barry did does not diminish Bud,and whatever Bob does over the breadth of his does nothing to diminish Bennie,Bud, or Barry..OU has had four great coaches ,Bob will just be the one with the most wins.

Peeb
8/22/2013, 06:59 PM
I agree--10 win seasons have lost some of their luster ... Only programs and their fans like Auburn and Okie State go around bragging about '10 win seasons', not top 3 all-time programs like OU or Bama.I agree that, despite having one of the best w/l record over the last 5 yrs of any Big 12 team, OkState is NOT accustomed to a steady diet of 10-win seasons.

At this point, I would say that teams like Oregon are OU/Alabama wannabes, and OSU is an Oregon wannabes. It just times a lot of time and sustained excellence to get there.

I don't say this to dis my pokes, just out of respect for the sooners.

8timechamps
8/22/2013, 07:18 PM

That's a fair argument to make, but then you have to also add that football is much different now. Less scholarships, players that are bigger, faster, stronger; complex schemes that weren't around when Bud/Barry coached, etc.

While 10 wins may not be the same as it was 30 years ago, I think the changes in the game make it a wash.