PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* The last game ever at the house that Ruth built

BudSooner
9/21/2008, 08:34 AM
Sadly, I never got to go to a game there but feel a connection to it after cheering my team on since I was in grade school....and yes I realize in this day and age of retro stadiums and corporate sponsorships that it was bound to happen.
Those pieces of steel and concrete were just parts of the old girl telling us it was time for her to go, it's ****ing shame Georgie boy wasn't seated in that section when they came down...not to say I wanted him killed mind you but injured to the point he stepped down and sold the team to someone who gave a **** about my Yankees. Not someone who just wanted to sign over the hill, overpaid egos....true team players like Brosius, O'Neill, Martinez, Bernie Williams(though he was getting up in years, he played tough)Rivera,Posada, Petite,Wells(he had an ego..sure, but dammit he was fun to watch)Cone,Stanton,Mussina rebuilt this team with a little help from some d00d named Jeter.

Good bye my friend, though your field will remain for kids to runs the bases just as Ruth did, single out to left as Jeter has done so many times...those memories will stay with me forever.

Damn, I know she's old.......and has needed attention EVERYWHERE, but it would be like if someone had said "We are tearing down memorial stadium in Norman to make a few bucks and put more butts in the seats"

Its a sad day for Yanks everywhere.

Lott's Bandana
9/21/2008, 10:00 AM
Went to many games there...and this:

July 4th, 1983 Dave Righetti pitches a no-no against the Bosox, winning 4-0. Chuck Mangioni played the national anthem, The Bosses birthday is July 4th and Dustin Hoffman was sitting behind the Yankees' dugout (Tootsie was just out).

I was in the fabled right field seats standing from the 6th inning on. Against Jim Rice and the Sox...It was teh awesome.

Scott D
9/21/2008, 04:44 PM
Awesome was seeing the California Angels there in 84, even better was seeing the Yankees get beat late by a Reggie Jackson 3 run shot. :)

OUthunder
9/21/2008, 04:50 PM
Awesome was seeing the California Angels there in 84, even better was seeing the Yankees get beat late by a Reggie Jackson 3 run shot. :)

Even better was seeing the pathetic White Sox team play there in those beautiful slow pitch softball unifroms they used to sport.

http://www.mopupduty.com/whitesox1976a.jpg

Good times.

Sooner24
9/21/2008, 07:19 PM
They had Babe Ruths daughter throw out the first pitch at the very last game at Yankee Stadium. Someone was really thinking when they come up with that.

sooneron
9/21/2008, 08:55 PM
Fjd64jk83WU

StoopTroup
9/21/2008, 10:47 PM
lol

VeeJay
9/21/2008, 11:24 PM
I thought it was classy the way the Yankees handled this game.

I can guarantee you this - if and when the SF Giants ever move from their current location to a new home, there will not be the celebration of their hometown hero the way Ruth was remembered in NY. Or Aaron in Atlanta.

Not even close.

I've always disliked the Yankees but tonight I was a fan.

sooneron
9/22/2008, 08:58 AM
Jeter's speech was greatness. I wish I had seen the pre-game festivities.

Scott D
9/22/2008, 10:12 AM
I stll curse the ghost of Bill Veeck and his circus style of ownership.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2008, 01:51 PM
I thought it was classy the way the Yankees handled this game.

I can guarantee you this - if and when the SF Giants ever move from their current location to a new home, there will not be the celebration of their hometown hero the way Ruth was remembered in NY. Or Aaron in Atlanta.

Not even close.

I've always disliked the Yankees but tonight I was a fan.

Last night was probably the first time I can remember that I uttered Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams' names and not put expletives in the middle.

Taxman71
9/22/2008, 04:41 PM
To me, Jeter is one of those guys people (other than die-hard Yankee fans) never appreciate until the final days of their career. For some reason, I never cared for him and now think of him as a model player that I always root for. In hindsight, all he did was make great plays consistently and never said or did anything that embarrassed himself, his team or the game.

I went through the same thing with Larry Bird. Now, I wonder if I will regret hating on Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant at some point.

shaun4411
9/22/2008, 05:40 PM
as a braves fan, i dont like the yankees..

thats pretty much all i have to say about that.

Sooner98
9/22/2008, 05:45 PM
I thought the complete snubbing of Roger Clemens was interesting. I can understand not inviting him to attend, but they didn't even mention his name or show his picture. Not a very well-liked guy.

StoopTroup
9/22/2008, 06:23 PM
I liked Mickey Mantle.

The Yankees ruined him IMO.

Bastards.

Scott D
9/22/2008, 06:27 PM
I thought the complete snubbing of Roger Clemens was interesting. I can understand not inviting him to attend, but they didn't even mention his name or show his picture. Not a very well-liked guy.

in the Pantheon of Yankee pitchers, there are easily 20 guys to invite before Roger. The fact that he's the pitching version of Barry Bonds these days didn't hurt, nor does his reputation of being a total mercenary.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 06:39 PM
As a Yankee fan when I think of great Yankee pitchers, or even yankee period, I dont link RC with them..I dont link RC with any team..all he ever was was a gun for hire

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2008, 07:01 PM
I'm surprised they didn't invite Sparky Lyle to the ceremony. Even freakin' David Wells, who in all honesty wasn't even a great pitcher but just happened to pitch a perfect game for the Yankees, showed up but not one of the premier relief pitchers of his day.

Also, would have been nice if they had mentioned Joe Torre, even though he's plying his trade on another coast now.

I did like the touch of them inviting the children and spouses of the deceased Yankees (Mantle, Catfish, Murcer, Howard, Munson) to stand in on the field.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2008, 07:20 PM
that video of Tommy John's son throwing out the first pitch after he came out of a coma was awesome

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2008, 07:46 PM
that video of Tommy John's son throwing out the first pitch after he came out of a coma was awesome

Oh yeah, why didn't they bring Tommy John back either?

OUthunder
9/22/2008, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised they didn't invite Sparky Lyle to the ceremony. Even freakin' David Wells, who in all honesty wasn't even a great pitcher but just happened to pitch a perfect game for the Yankees, showed up but not one of the premier relief pitchers of his day.

Also, would have been nice if they had mentioned Joe Torre, even though he's plying his trade on another coast now.

I did like the touch of them inviting the children and spouses of the deceased Yankees (Mantle, Catfish, Murcer, Howard, Munson) to stand in on the field.

David Wells was not invited because he pussed out on Yankee fans everywhere when we played Florida in the World Series. Not only did Steinbreener call him out, so did Torre and his teamates.

Many fans questioned if he was really hurt or if he just gave up.

There is a reason why they let him go and didn't resign him after the series with the Marlins and there are still ill feelings towards him from the franchise to this day.

Roger Clemens is a prick and a known liar, that's why he wasn't invited. Did I mention STEROIDS?

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2008, 08:47 PM
David Wells was not invited because he pussed out on Yankee fans everywhere when we played Florida in the World Series. Not only did Steinbreener call him out, so did Torre and his teamates.

There is a reason why they let him go and didn't resign him after the series with the Marlins and there are still ill feelings towards him from the franchise to this day.

Roger Clemens is a prick and a known liar, that's why he wasn't invited. Did I mention STEROIDS?

But Wells was there; he was in a Yankee uniform and was out there on the mound with Guidry, Whitey Ford, Don Larsen, etc. Plus, when Peter Gammons was interviewing him during the game, he was wearing an undershirt with a Yankees logo on it. So I guess Wells and the Yanks did mend fences in some way.

Ike
9/23/2008, 02:20 AM

Wells was there. He and Conehead were even wandering through the stands during the game. A guy sitting next to me on the subway said that they sat right in front of him (with the most ****headish cop ever, who made it a point to get in every single picture with them) for a couple innings.

I was surprised, but not shocked that Roger wasn't even mentioned... I imagine that if Torre wasn't in a pennant race of his own, he may have come. Sparky Lyle was also mentioned, meaning that he likely was invited, but couldn't attend.

Ike
9/23/2008, 02:30 AM
To me, Jeter is one of those guys people (other than die-hard Yankee fans) never appreciate until the final days of their career. For some reason, I never cared for him and now think of him as a model player that I always root for. In hindsight, all he did was make great plays consistently and never said or did anything that embarrassed himself, his team or the game.

I went through the same thing with Larry Bird. Now, I wonder if I will regret hating on Tom Brady and Kobe Bryant at some point.

A lot of people hate Jeter because he is the face of the team that a lot of people love to hate. He knows this as well as anyone, but he goes out and plays hard, every single game. Just as the guys you mention above.

I don't know how much they mentioned about the day before, but I was sitting right there when he took one off the hand. The way he reacted and came off the field, I thought there was no way he was going to be able to play. Just the fact that he did is somewhat amazing to me.

Say what you will about him, but the guy is a great ballplayer who will be remembered for a long time in that city.

sooneron
9/23/2008, 07:57 AM
Jeter is a stud. Plain and simple. Oh, and a good guy to meet.

sooneron
9/23/2008, 08:01 AM
XjekF24XKb0

BudSooner
9/23/2008, 08:35 AM
Jeter is a stud. Plain and simple. Oh, and a good guy to meet.

Amen. Don't know about that last part but he seems to be the genuine article of a team player, plays hard, doesn't throw his team under the bus, says all the right things even when the chips are down, hasn't thrown a fit over money and is a true leader.

To any kids wanting to make a career out of baseball, this is the kind of guy you could pattern yourself after.

Jeter IS Mr Yankee, and after his career is over i'm pretty damn sure there will be a plaque in monument park with his likeness on it.

sooneron
9/23/2008, 08:37 AM
To any kids wanting to make a career out of baseball, this is the kind of guy you could pattern yourself after.

I couldn't agree more. Kids wanting a career in any sport should model themselves after the way that Derek conducts himself.

even if he did date that skank Mariah:texan:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2008, 08:56 AM
another thing that was pretty emotional was watching the team take the field after the funeral of Munson to play.leaving the catcher's box open..the outpouring of grief on the field and in the stands..Murcer having 5 rbi's to come from behind to win 5-4 against Baltimore

Sooner04
9/23/2008, 09:37 AM
Here's David's record in four seasons with the Yankees: 68-28.

I don't care who you are, that's really stout. The guy won 239 games in his career with a winning percentage of over .600. To say he wasn't a great pitcher is a bit of a stretch.

Taxman71
9/23/2008, 10:39 AM
even if he did date that skank Mariah:texan:

I think the fling with Jessica Alba more than made up for the Mariah thing.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/23/2008, 01:24 PM
Here's David's record in four seasons with the Yankees: 68-28.

I don't care who you are, that's really stout. The guy won 239 games in his career with a winning percentage of over .600. To say he wasn't a great pitcher is a bit of a stretch.

I'm aware that Wells had a solid career but I still don't consider him as a great pitcher. A good pitcher, yes, no doubt, but not a great pitcher. If he was so great, how come he bounced around from team to team and that the Yanks were so eager to acquire Roger Clemens that they got rid of him.

OUthunder
9/23/2008, 03:10 PM
David Cone > David Wells

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2008, 03:37 PM
Ron Guidry >Cone and Wells

Taxman71
9/23/2008, 03:41 PM
PeeWeeHerman Movie Theater = David Cone Bullpen

Sooner04
9/23/2008, 04:50 PM
I'm aware that Wells had a solid career but I still don't consider him as a great pitcher.
For his era, Wells was great. He bounced around because he chased the money, just like any other pro athlete.

The Yankees were eager to get Clemens because he'd gone on the juice a couple of years earlier and posted a 41-13 record over two years with Toronto.

David Cone = David Wells. Two different pitchers, same type of results. Wells was a great innings eater, and that's a lost art in today's baseball world of five to six inning starts. Cone, when on, had some phenomenal stuff. Wells was more of a pitcher in that he really knew how to get people out.

OUthunder
9/23/2008, 06:01 PM
Cone = Wells, heh.

BudSooner
9/23/2008, 06:08 PM
One matter that didn't help his standing with the boss was his partying attitude, on more than one occasion he and George had a heart to heart and he made it clear he wanted to be a Yankee.

His book just buried him even more.
I love the guy, even while he is the polar opposite of Derek..he's not a fake..the guy just has a big appetite for life even if it includes being hung over while pitching in game 6 of the world series.

But seeing him try to swing away at a Maddux fast ball was naueating.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/23/2008, 08:44 PM
For his era, Wells was great. He bounced around because he chased the money, just like any other pro athlete.

The Yankees were eager to get Clemens because he'd gone on the juice a couple of years earlier and posted a 41-13 record over two years with Toronto.

David Cone = David Wells. Two different pitchers, same type of results. Wells was a great innings eater, and that's a lost art in today's baseball world of five to six inning starts. Cone, when on, had some phenomenal stuff. Wells was more of a pitcher in that he really knew how to get people out.

On that note, where's the love for Jimmy Key. I thought he was just as valuable or even more valuable on those mid to late '90s Yanks teams.

sooneron
9/23/2008, 09:43 PM
Jimmy Key? You forgot the winky. Mike Stanton was solid.

And the 98 Yanks were the best team that I have ever seen. They played as a team and kicked ***.

OUthunder
9/23/2008, 11:02 PM
Jimmy Key? You forgot the winky. Mike Stanton was solid.

And the 98 Yanks were the best team that I have ever seen. They played as a team and kicked ***.

I have to agree with you. That team was damned near unbeatable. That team also had a lot of character and a butt load of talent both old and new.

sooneron
9/24/2008, 11:13 AM
I believe the line up was

Knoblauch - dude always got walked
Jeter- clutch - batted 324
O'Neill- clutch back then- batted 317, didn't hit too well in the series tho
Bernie Williams - batted 339
Tino - batted 281 but still hit for power
Strawberry/Davis/Curtis - HITTERS
Tim Raines - 290 - could still motor
Ledee - Strong rookie in the post season
Posada/Girardi
Brosius - WS MVP hit & 300 for the season

Add in Wells at his peak, Rivera when he was just getting warmed up, el Duque before he got banged up...

awesome

stoops the eternal pimp
9/24/2008, 11:15 AM
Knoblauch while he could still make the throw to first base was da awesome

sooneron
9/24/2008, 11:18 AM
Knoblauch while he could still make the throw to first base was da awesome

Yes, I believe that all fell apart in 00.
Of course, there was the bubblegum bubble incident when he let a runner reach first cuz he thought the runner interfered with him- the ump never called it.
Poor aggy Knoblauch.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/24/2008, 11:22 AM
the dreaded Steve Sax disease....Kinda feel bad for ol Knobby

OUthunder
9/24/2008, 12:22 PM

Posada/Girardi

Add in Wells at his peak, Rivera when he was just getting warmed up, el Duque before he got banged up...

awesome

Was big daddy Cecil still DH'n or did he call it quits to go to the all you can eat buffet retirement village?

Brosius was money that year. He retired two years too soon IMHO.:(

Echoes
9/24/2008, 12:34 PM
<3 the yanks. Great ceremony. I'm very glad I got to see it, but wish I would have got to go to Yankee stadium before they closed it down :(

sooneron
9/24/2008, 12:56 PM
Cecil was gone by 98.

Brosius was one of my all time faves. It was cool that Reggie mentioned him in the booth during the game the other night.

Sooner04
9/24/2008, 02:53 PM
I thought only golf threads got banished into this forum?

Taxman71
9/24/2008, 03:04 PM
How could you trade Jay Buhner?????

http://infochord.de/assets/2003-2006/frank-costanza.jpg

Ike
9/24/2008, 03:38 PM
XjekF24XKb0

heh. I had almost forgotten about these. AWESOME!

1saLwqs41Qo

BudSooner
9/24/2008, 08:30 PM

Posada/Girardi

awesome
Ya know, I forgot all about El Duque...what happened to him?
That was one hell of a lineup, who was the middle reliever that year..wasn't it Mike Stanton?

There was another, his names escapes me though he went to play in a closer role for the Mariners....blond haired guy with a 'stache, a real *******.
I can see him but forget his name. Gotta look that up.

Ah ha! Jeff F'n Nelson! that guy was a dick.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/25/2008, 02:22 AM
Ya know, I forgot all about El Duque...what happened to him?
That was one hell of a lineup, who was the middle reliever that year..wasn't it Mike Stanton?

There was another, his names escapes me though he went to play in a closer role for the Mariners....blond haired guy with a 'stache, a real *******.
I can see him but forget his name. Gotta look that up.

Ah ha! Jeff F'n Nelson! that guy was a dick.

That reminds me, they didn't even mention Karim Garcia or bring him back for Sunday's ceremony. Oh, the shame.:D