PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather have?

SelmaBamaFan
9/20/2008, 09:20 PM
... a defense that stuffs opponents consistantly, and forces a lot of three and outs; or a defense that gives up some yards but makes big plays?

I ask because the OU defense has always been known for its big plays, but at the same time, with your offense 3 and outs would be just as good.

boomrsoonr
9/20/2008, 09:22 PM
If you can consistantly limit the opposing team's first downs, you're going to win. Big plays are usually a part of that.

ousooners182
9/20/2008, 09:22 PM
stuffs consistently

Johnny Utah
9/20/2008, 09:35 PM
Gotta go with stuffs consistently (which I think demoralizes the opponent as much as running the ball down its throat) ... too much risk in relying on the big play (on both sides of the ball).

SelmaBamaFan
9/20/2008, 09:36 PM
I'll add a part 2 to the question (and yes im drunk and bored so might be asking questions all night lol):

In this day of college football with all the high powered offenses, would you rather be ranked higher on rush defense or pass?

Frozen Sooner
9/20/2008, 09:39 PM
Rush defense.

A high ranking on rush defense coupled with a lower ranking on pass defense is many times the result of teams throwing the ball to play catch up on your team.

Johnny Utah
9/20/2008, 09:41 PM
Rush defense.

A high ranking on rush defense coupled with a lower ranking on pass defense is many times the result of teams throwing the ball to play catch up on your team.

what he said

SelmaBamaFan
9/20/2008, 09:41 PM
Mike, hi btw, I never thought of that. Very, very good point.

OUthunder
9/20/2008, 09:42 PM
Man, I'll take either but the days of the Boz, Casillas, Dixon just killing people on defense was fun to watch.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2008, 10:22 PM
roy williams and rocky calmus.

StoopTroup
9/20/2008, 10:24 PM
Both.

Johnny Utah
9/20/2008, 10:25 PM
I think there are players now that can fill those rolls ... they just need to be coached up to be in the right place at the right time, etc.

Frozen Sooner
9/20/2008, 10:25 PM
Mike, hi btw, I never thought of that. Very, very good point.

'Sup Dave? Thanks.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2008, 10:27 PM
I think there are players now that can fill those rolls ... they just need to be coached up to be in the right place at the right time, etc.

I haven't seen a RUUUUUUUUFUS or Lofton on this squad yet.

Lewis could certainly be though. I want to see Auston English dominate more. Is he being double teamed consistently?

SelmaBamaFan
9/20/2008, 10:29 PM
Sup? Well I've been stuck in NYC for about a month longer than scheduled, and havent gotten a chance to go home since it was extended week by week. I am 'supposed' to go home weds and if they extend it again I might quit.

Other than that, im still confused about Bama, because we still havent played anyone (Clemson DOESNT COUNT!), and at the same time I'm concerned because I dont think we can run the ball the way we have when we play Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. We'll HAVE to pass the ball and we havent been too good at that so far. Our WR's are young and talented but cant get separation yet... in other words they are still too young.

I'm pumped about OU though, and hope to make a game sometime this fall if my schedule allows. You guys look awesome so far, on both sides of the ball.

Sabanball
9/20/2008, 10:31 PM
I don't believe in the ' bend but don't break' philosophy. Waiting to defend an offense once they get in the red zone doesn't make any sense to me. I would rather have a defense that totally shuts down the run and forces an O to be one-dimensional. Of course, we did that once before in our history, and we lost.(37-27 in Norman, OU vs. Bama) But that was a rare exception to the rule.

cheezyq
9/20/2008, 10:34 PM
I just want a good defense. I don't care how it gets done.

sooneron
9/20/2008, 10:36 PM
Sup? Well I've been stuck in NYC for about a month longer than scheduled, and havent gotten a chance to go home since it was extended week by week. I am 'supposed' to go home weds and if they extend it again I might quit.

Other than that, im still confused about Bama, because we still havent played anyone (Clemson DOESNT COUNT!), and at the same time I'm concerned because I dont think we can run the ball the way we have when we play Georgia, LSU, and Auburn. We'll HAVE to pass the ball and we havent been too good at that so far. Our WR's are young and talented but cant get separation yet... in other words they are still too young.

I'm pumped about OU though, and hope to make a game sometime this fall if my schedule allows. You guys look awesome so far, on both sides of the ball.

I would assume that you have been watching the games at Brother Jimmy's.

Johnny Utah
9/20/2008, 10:37 PM
I haven't seen a RUUUUUUUUFUS or Lofton on this squad yet.

Lewis could certainly be though. I want to see Auston English dominate more. Is he being double teamed consistently?

Hard to reproduce a RUUUUUUUUFUS or Lofton on any team, which is why we need players that can fill roles. I wouod also like to see English dominate more but it might be a combination of him returning from some off time as well as the double team.

SelmaBamaFan
9/20/2008, 10:37 PM
I did the previous two weeks and loved it, but didnt feel like making the train ride into the city today. Had to do some work after the game, so had to stay close to the room.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/20/2008, 10:40 PM
I don't believe in the ' bend but don't break' philosophy. Waiting to defend an offense once they get in the red zone doesn't make any sense to me. I would rather have a defense that totally shuts down the run and forces an O to be one-dimensional. Of course, we did that once before in our history, and we lost.(37-27 in Norman, OU vs. Bama) But that was a rare exception to the rule.

OMGZZZ THE PREVENT!!! FIRE BRETT VULERNABLES!!!!1!!
we don't like the prevent either.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2008, 10:49 PM
Everyone wants a D that can consistently force 3-and-outs - it's almost a silly question. But if you don't how the stud players to pull it off, you have to optimize with what you have. I don't think OU has the personal this year to stuff opponents (at least not the ones that count). They do have very good players on D and top-notch offense to put pressure on the opponent to score a lot. That should result in some big plays on D, if the other guy is forced out of their game plan.

aurorasooner
9/21/2008, 12:32 AM
Everyone wants a D that can consistently force 3-and-outs - it's almost a silly question. But if you don't how the stud players to pull it off, you have to optimize with what you have. I don't think OU has the personal this year to stuff opponents (at least not the ones that count). They do have very good players on D and top-notch offense to put pressure on the opponent to score a lot. That should result in some big plays on D, if the other guy is forced out of their game plan.Honest assessment imo. I just want to see our DBs & LBs make some clean picks, anticipating and then breaking on the ball in front of the receiver and not just laying back 5 yards and making the tackle after the catch. I don't know how many times on the CFB TV games in the last 3 weeks, I've seen defenders in position to make a play on a pass but they either brick-hands the interception or let the offensive receiver out-fight them for the ball. Just catch the (*&^ ball for the turnover when you get the chance

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:33 AM
I want to see zero muffed punts this season. That's just me.

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2008, 12:34 AM
Basically what I was asking, is would you rather your team pitch a shut out, or return 3 INT's for TDs?

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:37 AM
Well like they say.... what wins championships???

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2008, 12:38 AM
being the media darling?

what do i win?

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:40 AM
Every BCS title team to win has a had solid Defense. (UT being the worse one)

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2008, 12:41 AM
Well ofcourse someone has to win the BCS NC GAME, but to get in it, look two posts up :D

... again what do i win? heh

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:50 AM
2007-08 I would say last year LSU and Ohio State were the 2 most deserving teams.

2006-2007. Still I think Florida and tOSU were the right teams

2005-2006. USC vs Texas, not disputable at all

2004-2005. USC vs. Oklahoma. Auburn started off ranked low in the poles and still went undefeated. Great accomplishment, but 2 other teams won out and WON every game convincingly.

2003-2004. Okay here we go. Oklahoma did not win their conference championship right? but wait, USC does not have a conference championship either. In the end USC lost to an UN-RANKED CAL team, in triple OT I believe.

2002-2003. Miami vs tOSU not disputable

2001-2002. Miami vs Nebraska.... very disputable. In the end Miami was the best BCS team ever. That is my opinion.

2000-2001. Oklahoma vs FSU. Very disputable. Oklahoma allowed ZERO points on defense. 13-2, only 2 points being a safety.

lol i was bored

Sabanball
9/21/2008, 12:52 AM
2007-08 I would say last year LSU and Ohio State were the 2 most deserving teams.

2006-2007. Still I think Florida and tOSU were the right teams

2005-2006. USC vs Texas, not disputable at all

2004-2005. USC vs. Oklahoma. Auburn started off ranked low in the poles and still went undefeated. Great accomplishment, but 2 other teams won out and WON every game convincingly.

2003-2004. Okay here we go. Oklahoma did not win their conference championship right? but wait, USC does not have a conference championship either. In the end USC lost to an UN-RANKED CAL team, in triple OT I believe.

2002-2003. Miami vs tOSU not disputable

2001-2002. Miami vs Nebraska.... very disputable. In the end Miami was the best BCS team ever. That is my opinion.

2000-2001. Oklahoma vs FSU. Very disputable. Oklahoma allowed ZERO points on defense. 13-2, only 2 points being a safety.

lol i was bored

I'm not a big fan of the BCS as it is currently constituted, but it's probably the best thing available all things considered. I'll support it until someone comes up with a better idea.

OU_Sooners75
9/21/2008, 12:53 AM
I'll add a part 2 to the question (and yes im drunk and bored so might be asking questions all night lol):

In this day of college football with all the high powered offenses, would you rather be ranked higher on rush defense or pass?

It is not part of the questiong, but it should be because it is the most important....scoring defense.

If you are not allowing points, you usually win.

Stats help win and lose games, but points are what determines the outcome.

But to answer your question. You want a top notch rush defense. Make the QB beat you with his arm.

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:53 AM
yah. In the end its not as bad as people think. If you really honestly look at it. The only team that can actually say they got screwed is the 2004-2005 Auburn Tigers. If any

Sabanball
9/21/2008, 12:56 AM
yah. In the end its not as bad as people think. If you really honestly look at it. The only team that can actually say they got screwed is the 2004-2005 Auburn Tigers. If any

You are the first OU fan that i have ever met that is also a fan of Auburn.

SelmaBamaFan
9/21/2008, 12:56 AM
Dont know Homey then do ya?

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:57 AM
Not a fan of Auburn, ( If I had to pick a SEC team, if would be Auburn) but if Oklahoma was in those shoes, I would kill somebody.

JLEW1818
9/21/2008, 12:58 AM
Don't get me wrong I think we would have beat Auburn. And I don't think they were a top 2 team. But they are the only BCS conference team that went undefeated and got the shaft.

ousooners182
9/21/2008, 06:02 AM
god damn why cant we just have a plus 1 system to stop all this..instead of havin another bcs bowl they should have just added in the plus 1 system..

Flagstaffsooner
9/21/2008, 06:09 AM
You knot heads would turn this thread into an anti BCS thing.