PDA

View Full Version : Alright Ike, Fess up . You did it

olevetonahill
9/20/2008, 12:04 PM
You Broke it By leaving a Beer can in there didnt you ? :P
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920/ap_on_re_eu/eu_switzerland_particle_collider

OUHOMER
9/20/2008, 12:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing when i read it earlier.

Boarder
9/20/2008, 12:56 PM
Can anyone actually explain why they didn't use that money to feed every hungry person in the world for years instead of "learning more about antimatter"?

And now, it's broken, so soon?

Widescreen
9/20/2008, 01:06 PM
Can anyone actually explain why they didn't use that money to feed every hungry person in the world for years instead of "learning more about antimatter"?

That could actually work if all corrupt dictators were removed from power.

yermom
9/20/2008, 01:19 PM

with 10 billion?

how many multiples of 10 billion have we spent on the "war"?

i probably can't put it much better than Hawking...

http://physics.about.com/b/2008/09/09/hawking-on-lhc-pure-research.htm

Boarder
9/20/2008, 01:36 PM
I never said the war was a good idea or not, either. I guess what I'm saying is that $10 billion seems like an awful lot to spend on an experiment that won't cure cancer or anything. It seems to be a research that will give a bunch of information that can be used in a class in college. Why spend so much?

That's why I asked if anyone can explain that. I'm sure there is someone (and his name is probably Ike).

yermom
9/20/2008, 01:45 PM
10 billion isn't that much money globally speaking, and who knows what kind of knowledge one could get from this sort of thing

i'd kinda compare it to the space program, where lots of practical stuff came out of the innovation needed to get there

you can't even bail out a bank for 10 billion ;)

LilSooner
9/20/2008, 02:29 PM
I'm actually glad. I will be in London while they were suppose to be smashing this first atoms. I didn't want to be sucked into a black hole.

That would have sucked.

47straight
9/20/2008, 03:06 PM
I never said the war was a good idea or not, either. I guess what I'm saying is that $10 billion seems like an awful lot to spend on an experiment that won't cure cancer or anything. It seems to be a research that will give a bunch of information that can be used in a class in college. Why spend so much?

That's why I asked if anyone can explain that. I'm sure there is someone (and his name is probably Ike).

Uh, this is bigger than curing cancer. Or at least trying to directly cure cancer. Understanding the most basic building blocks of matter has huge, huge implications on the rest of science. You can build mountains of other knowledge and applications upon a small increase in knowledge about how matter actually works.

Biology isn't really science. Any parts of biology that actually are science or are actual breakthroughs are really chemistry breakthroughs.

Chemistry isn't really science either. Any parts of chemistry that actually are science or are actual breakthroughs are really just physics breakthroughs.

Same goes for material science, sort of a hybrid between physics and chemistry and the real dark horse and innovation source of the next 30 years.

So, if you really want to increase biology and chemistry breakthroughs, invest in basic physics research. Waiting on biology to actually achieve something on its own anymore is like watching a monkey hump a football.

Sooner_Havok
9/21/2008, 05:52 PM
Heh, you wanna know what really sucks? We were going to build a particle accelerator bigger and better than that one. The Superconducting Super Collider was designed to reach a higher energy than its recently completed European counterpart, the Large Hadron Collider with a planned collisions of 40 TeV versus 14 TeV.

But we had a tough choice to make. Play nice and send Shipping containers into space and build the international space station with a bunch of other countries, or keep our place as the #1 nation for scientific discoveries. We picked shipping containers and set physics back 20 years. On the bright side, we can see a fast moving dot over Oklahoma sometimes now!