PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Crab Cakes

Penguin
9/19/2008, 07:14 PM
I made some tonight. They were deeee-lish!

I am really getting into this whole cooking thing. Why the hell did I wait so long to learn how to cook?

My goal is to be in charge of Thanksgiving dinner for my family this year!

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 07:43 PM
Do not try to do your own Turducken then.

Tailwind
9/19/2008, 09:18 PM
Practice making everything you plan to serve so you can get the timing down. It really helps. PS, can I have your crabcake recipe?

bluedogok
9/19/2008, 09:22 PM
I love good crabcakes, working on the east coast during crab season spoiled me on them.

LoyalFan
9/20/2008, 12:57 AM
But where can one find homemade crabs?
I've looked all over the house.
Jes' axin'.

LF

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 12:58 AM
crab cakes=good. spek.

Flagstaffsooner
9/20/2008, 01:26 AM
Penguin crabs=not good

SoonerInFla
9/20/2008, 01:42 AM
Tailwind,
This is a simple one.
Get a bag of Mrs. Pauls Crabmeat Stuffing.
Get a container of Lump Crabmeat...Usually come in a 1 Lb. container.
Pick through the crabmeat...Sometimes there's little pieces of shell.
Mix the crabmeat and the stuffing about 50/50...I actually like em better with more crabmeat than stuffing.
Make little cakes or roll em up in little balls.
Fry em.

You can also throw some little chunks of cheese in there.
Also good to pour a little liquid smoke in there too.

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 01:47 AM
Tailwind,
This is a simple one.
Get a bag of Mrs. Pauls Crabmeat Stuffing.
Get a container of Lump Crabmeat...Usually come in a 1 Lb. container.
Pick through the crabmeat...Sometimes there's little pieces of shell.
Mix the crabmeat and the stuffing about 50/50...I actually like em better with more crabmeat than stuffing.
Make little cakes or roll em up in little balls.
Fry em.

You can also throw some little chunks of cheese in there.
Also good to pour a little liquid smoke in there too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Louisiana_brand_hot_sauce.jpg/125px-Louisiana_brand_hot_sauce.jpg

scallions too.

bluedogok
9/20/2008, 10:51 AM
scallions too.
Some are good, let's not overload it with too much "stuff", I hate crabcakes that are more veggies than crab.

swardboy
9/20/2008, 01:08 PM
Mmm mmmm ... make into little balls sounds like a great Christmas appetizer. We basically just put stuff out and graze all day.

Thanks for the recipe Pengie.

Penguin
9/20/2008, 02:56 PM
It was pretty easy.

1/2 lb. crab meat, picked through. Finely chopped bell pepper and green onion. 2 tablespoons mayo, 1 egg beaten, then I started throwing stuff in to experiment. Myself, I used a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion salt, seasoned salt. The recipe called for 2/3 cup of bread crumbs, but I should have used a whole cup because they were falling apart. Made just 4, but I was just cooking for myself. Start to finish, 15 minutes. Easy and tasty.

I should have also added lemon juice or dry mustard. I would have liked it a little more tangy. I'll remember that next time.

Penguin
9/20/2008, 03:00 PM
Oh, yeah, cooked over medium heat with a little butter, 4-5 minutes on each side.

I need to make some remoulade sauce.

bluedogok
9/20/2008, 05:42 PM
I may need to go to Truluck's this week and get some.....

Preservation Parcels
9/20/2008, 09:35 PM
My son makes incredible crab cakes. There is no stuffing. Instead, he mixes shrimp, scallops, egg, and just a bit of Old Bay seasoning in a food processor. It makes a mousse that holds the jumbo lump crab meat together. They're tender and need to be handled gently, but the taste and texture are outstanding. Pure seafood and seasoning!