PDA

View Full Version : I will be at OU FOUR YEARS

stoopified
9/19/2008, 04:07 PM
So says Willie Warren in the most recent issue of Sooner Spectator.I think that is great news.I am more excited about the arrival of this coming season than any I can recall in my lifetime.I think it is large part because Capel appears to contue to be bringing it GREAT recruits.I loved Billy BUT he depended so much on jucos and borderline academic players you never knew what to expect from year to year.Kelvin never seem to get over an inferiority complex in recruiting that he developed at Motana Tech and Washington state.Even off his Final Four team his recruits were usually big news if they were TOP 50-100.With the aid of former Arkansas assistant Taliffareo Capel is bringing in killer classes.

With Blake on board and Warren apparently planning on being around for FOUR years,OU b-ball may be about to explode.That is saying something when you consider that OUr last two coaches are the winningest coaches in OU history.

SoonerTroll
9/19/2008, 04:53 PM
great news, although if he sees dollar signs he may change his mind... I will keep my fingers crossed

birddog
9/19/2008, 06:57 PM
no chance but i appreciate his enthusiasm.

Big Red Ron
9/19/2008, 08:34 PM
I loved Billy BUT he depended so much on jucos and borderline academic players you never knew what to expect from year to year.
Whoa there, slow your roll. We expected to be very good and to score 120 from year to year.

I am exited about this season too but lets not get too geeked out.

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/19/2008, 08:49 PM
Don't we have an outstanding JUCO point guard coming in?

badger
9/19/2008, 11:04 PM
Perhaps momma made him promise to get his degree, hmm? :)

MojoRisen
9/19/2008, 11:28 PM
if I were him I would be getting a degree from harvard part time with 75 personal tutors after an all american year this year!

I don't understand getting the degree thing when you can basically make in one year what you would make in 25 years at a top salary in your profession after school.

I would be estatic if he stayed 3 years or more though...

You could always go back to school...

Salt City Sooner
9/19/2008, 11:39 PM
Don't we have an outstanding JUCO point guard coming in?
No. I think you're probably thinking of Tommy Mason-Griffin, who's still in H.S. & won't be here until next year. Obviously I'm not Capel, but for this coming year, I'd be expecting some combination of Johnson &/or Warren at the point, with Leary spelling them.

KingBarry
9/20/2008, 04:20 AM
Whoa there, slow your roll. We expected to be very good and to score 120 from year to year.

I am exited about this season too but lets not get too geeked out.

No, I am with Badj on this one. After 88, we went downhill every year.

I believe it was--

88-National Finals
89-NCAA Sweet Sixteen
90-NCAA second round
91-NIT Finals
92-NCAA first round
93-NIT second round
94-NIT first round

I really thought coming off the Final Four, that Billy`s teams were ready to take off, but we just nose dived. I think Badj has the right call on this, and I LOVED Billy.

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 09:04 AM
1990 was not a "down year".

that said, if Willie is half what he's supposed to be his chances of playing for OU in 2011 are about the same as me knocking boots with Scarlet Johanson and Jess Alba in the next half hour.

stoopified
9/20/2008, 10:41 AM
1990 was not a "down year".

that said, if Willie is half what he's supposed to be his chances of playing for OU in 2011 are about the same as me knocking boots with Scarlet Johanson and Jess Alba in the next half hour.
Man I am exhausted! BTW Scarlet and Jessica say HI. :)

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 12:41 PM
Phil has won 2 of the last 14 Ryder Cup matches, says Miller.

right on.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 12:43 PM
No, I am with Badj on this one. After 88, we went downhill every year.

I believe it was--

88-National Finals
89-NCAA Sweet Sixteen
90-NCAA second round
91-NIT Finals
92-NCAA first round
93-NIT second round
94-NIT first round

I really thought coming off the Final Four, that Billy`s teams were ready to take off, but we just nose dived. I think Badj has the right call on this, and I LOVED Billy.
That's looking at the end of a long career at OU 14 years posting a 333-132 record in 14 years and leading the Sooners to the national championship game in 1988.

- He took OU to nine NCAA and four NIT tournaments, including a streak of six straight "Sweet 16" appearances from 1985-90.

- His OU teams had 13 winning seasons and won five conference championships.

- Tubbs was the Big Eight Coach of the year in 1984, 1985, 1988 and 1989, and was named Basketball Weekly National Coach of the Year in 1983 and 1985.

We expected to be good every year and mostly were. We haven't had a better coach or run since or before.

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 12:55 PM
in 90 we lost in the second round to Rick Fox and UNC in Austin (great alignment for us), did not make the Sweet 16.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 01:01 PM
5 straight 1985, 86, 87, 88, 89 basketball season.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 01:05 PM
2 points away from six straight. Anyone who thinks we weren't pretty sure what we were going to be like year to year either wasn't around or paying attention.

We had some dissapointment in the last few years but still a helluva run.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 01:09 PM
We may have had an off year but I'm going off of memory. We were damn good for a long time. Even the first round losses at the end were upsets.

King Crimson
9/20/2008, 01:23 PM
there was no "off year" about 90. we were the best team in the country for about 6 weeks and beat #1 KU and #1 Missouri at the LNC in a span of 3 days.

that UNC loss still burns. we were #1 seed. i watched that game in a motel in Richmond, Utah.

Cheshire Bear.
9/20/2008, 03:12 PM
Big news for you guys. He is a player. Wish he was wearing green and gold next season. You guys will be VERY good.

stoopified
9/20/2008, 03:42 PM
My basic point was and is that I am really excited about the upcoming season.I loved Billy but after the '88 title loss he did seem to end up with jucos who didn't pan out or academically broderline players who couldn't get/stay eligible.That is what Imeant by my never knew what you were going to get .The tail end of his tenure was a fall off from his start.In any case I like the recruiting/coaching start that Capel has going, I AM not saying he is a better coach then Billy or even KS,only time will tell on that .However basketball is approaching and is now much more than filler between football and spring football.We have been as good as anyone recoed-wise in the last 25 years.

I think Capel can take us to the next level where SWEET 16 is a dissapointment.I will admit I may be gushing with preseason enthusiasm but I am a fan and it is preseason.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 04:53 PM
My basic point was and is that I am really excited about the upcoming season.I loved Billy but after the '88 title loss he did seem to end up with jucos who didn't pan out or academically broderline players who couldn't get/stay eligible.That is what Imeant by my never knew what you were going to get .The tail end of his tenure was a fall off from his start.In any case I like the recruiting/coaching start that Capel has going, I AM not saying he is a better coach then Billy or even KS,only time will tell on that .However basketball is approaching and is now much more than filler between football and spring football.We have been as good as anyone recoed-wise in the last 25 years.

I think Capel can take us to the next level where SWEET 16 is a dissapointment.I will admit I may be gushing with preseason enthusiasm but I am a fan and it is preseason.I here ya, I am too. I just loved the Tubbs era. I hope Capel could somehow be compared to Tubbs when it's all said and done.

stoopified
9/20/2008, 06:00 PM
Tubbs is to OU rounball what Wilkinson is to football.Nothing against Drake,I consider him to be b-balls Owen.On the other hand Bennie himself did win around 100 games as b-ball coach. :)

Boomer.....
9/21/2008, 07:42 PM
no chance but i appreciate his enthusiasm.

I agree. As soon as the agents start talking to him about the big bucks his mind might change.