PDA

View Full Version : Funny MU Observation...

cheezyq
9/19/2008, 10:04 AM
I've been indifferent about Misery for most of most of my life. But over the last few years, MU fans (and apparently their players, too) have taken on a personality that can only be compared to K-State fans and players after posted a winning season for the first time in 800 years. They've taken on an arrogance of astronomical proportions and don't have a healthy sense of what they have and haven't accomplished. At first, I was happy for both programs. Now they and their fans annoy the heck out of me. Of course, being in the KC area doesn't help.

That's why I found this hilarious....

IF I WERE …

MISSOURI, I wouldn't get too big-headed. Listening to locals yammer about how Missouri now "doesn't recruit, it selects" makes me laugh. You'd think the Tigers were on the precipice of being the next USC. Settle down, folks. While I love everything Gary Pinkel has done and believe the Tigers are legit in 2008, ask yourself this question before painting your face black and gold: Who has Missouri beaten in the Big 12 since Chase Daniel has taken the program on a big run? Nobody. Until Mizzou topples Texas and/or Oklahoma, it has no place in a conversation about "elite" programs. For the record, Pinkel is 0-5 vs. the Sooners and 0-3 vs. the Longhorns. Missouri doesn't play the Sooners this fall but it travels to Austin on Oct. 18. I know Tigers fans are jacked about going to Texas a week after the Longhorns play Oklahoma, but know this: Mack Brown is 10-0 in games following the Red River Shootout. Those triumphs have been by an average of 19.8 points, and four of the victories have been vs. ranked foes.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=839343

My Opinion Matters
9/19/2008, 10:10 AM
I've been indifferent about Misery for most of most of my life. But over the last few years, MU fans (and apparently their players, too) have taken on a personality that can only be compared to K-State fans and players after posted a winning season for the first time in 800 years. They've taken on an arrogance of astronomical proportions and don't have a healthy sense of what they have and haven't accomplished. At first, I was happy for both programs. Now they and their fans annoy the heck out of me. Of course, being in the KC area doesn't help.

That's why I found this hilarious....

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=839343

Your comparison to earlier incarnations of KSU fans is spot-on. They've officially supplanted KSU fans as the most arrogant and uninformed fans in the Big 12.

badger
9/19/2008, 10:22 AM
Before we all get too excited like Mizzou, a swift kick into reality realizes that we are part of an unelite group in the Big 12: Six other teams besides us are undefeated right now. Yup, six teams have three wins, and Texas, who byed out of hurricane's wrath last week, is sitting at 2-0. No Big 12 team has a losing record (no, not even Baylor), so that means that all Big 12 teams right now have one or zero losses - two or three wins. EVERYONE.

(well, 'cept Texas A&M, who byed out of the opportunity to be better as well, sitting at 1-1... HEY AGGIES! Worse-than-Bay-lor! clap. clap. clapclapclap)

So anyways, it is not time for anyone to brag, which includes undefeated Missouri, Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas, T-Tech or us. If we must brag, we can brag on behalf of our conference having more undefeated teams than others...

ACC: 3 undefeated teams (conference schedule began)
Big East: 2 undefeated teams (conference schedule not here yet)
Big 10: 6 undefeated teams (No conf. schedule yet)
Pac 10: 2 undefeated teams (conference started)
SEC: 8 undefeated teams (ok, I lied - but this one doesn't count because of all the cupcake opponents! And yes, they had a few conference games already)

So anyways, nobody is elite yet. If anything, we can all say "We're all above average!" and share hugs.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/19/2008, 10:24 AM
Just another case of what Stewart Mandel calls "Clemson/Auburn Syndrome"...where your expectations of your consistently mediocre team are astronomically high based upon one brief period of greatness.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/19/2008, 10:34 AM
In complete agreeance about the KSU comparison. I just can not see how a program/fan base can act as though they have won 10 straight NC when they haven't even won their conference this decade. It boggles my mind. Pinkel 0-8 against the real Big 12 powers speaks for itself. Well that and booger boy referring to "his legend" and "the legend of chase daniel" from a guy who hasn't won a championship of any kind since high school(system program might I add). Be humble and look at the big picture and respect the true powers of CFB and continue to respect them if you arrive in that category.

badger
9/19/2008, 10:39 AM
In complete agreeance about the KSU comparison. I just can not see how a program/fan base can act as though they have won 10 straight NC when they haven't even won their conference this decade. It boggles my mind. Pinkel 0-8 against the real Big 12 powers speaks for itself. Well that and booger boy referring to "his legend" and "the legend of chase daniel" from a guy who hasn't won a championship of any kind since high school(system program might I add). Be humble and look at the big picture and respect the true powers of CFB and continue to respect them if you arrive in that category.

So, you're saying that you want Lou Holtz to return with his Pep Talk and that he needs to tell Mizzou's next opponent all of the above? :D

(seriously, bring back Pep Talk - I LOVED when he threw on a tOSU hat last night and started ranting at the team like a coach)

cheezyq
9/19/2008, 11:02 AM
Your comparison to earlier incarnations of KSU fans is spot-on. They've officially supplanted KSU fans as the most arrogant and uninformed fans in the Big 12.

It seems I've touched on something that annoys others as well. I've lived in Kansas a good portion of my life, and KSU fans were non-existent before 1991.

I totally understand being excited about your team doing well. Just have a reasonable sense of what you've accomplished and what you have yet to accomplish. OSU fans have that same deluded sense of self....until they lose yet again. Then they go into meltdown mode. Unfortunately for MU and KSU fans, even when they do lose, they still don't get it. ("Oh, we GAVE the game away", "Yeah, you won, but....") :rolleyes:

I hear from MU fans every day "Hey, we're going to win when we meet you in the Big 12 championship", etc. My response: "Maybe so. They say the 20th time's the charm".

KingBarry
9/19/2008, 01:01 PM
In complete agreeance about the KSU comparison. I just can not see how a program/fan base can act as though they have won 10 straight NC when they haven't even won their conference this decade.

This decade? I don`t think they`ve won it for much more than that. They haven`t won the Big XII, and have only been to one championship. I can`t remember the last time they won the Big 8, but I think it may have been the 60`s? I would say the 50`s, but I think Bud Wilkinson won all of those.

Maybe they won something in the Big 6 era?

OKLA21FAN
9/19/2008, 01:18 PM
This decade? I don`t think they`ve won it for much more than that. They haven`t won the Big XII, and have only been to one championship. I can`t remember the last time they won the Big 8, but I think it may have been the 60`s? I would say the 50`s, but I think Bud Wilkinson won all of those.

the U.S. was still fightin Charlie in Nam (if that helps)

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/19/2008, 03:51 PM

I just said decade because I figured you'd need to win at least one in a decade to be considered relevant year in and year out in your conference. And I was being lazy with the stats but here ya go. The last conference championship for mizzou was 1969 and they have a whopping 3 bowl wins in the last 26 years. If a conference championship won 39 years ago makes you relevant on the national level, then every major sports media outlet has things completely wrong.

birddog
9/19/2008, 04:01 PM

The Tigers have been outright conference champions or co-champions 16 times:
1) Western Interstate University Football Associaton: 1893, 1894, 1895
2) Missouri Valley Conference: 1909, 1913, 1919, 1924, 1925, 1927
3) Big Eight: 1939, 1941, 1942, 1945, 1960, 1969
4) Big 12: North Division champions in 2007

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/19/2008, 08:42 PM
So, essentially, Mizzou hasn't won a championship since unprotected sex with many annonymous partners, and experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment were the norm?

4) Big 12: North Division champions in 2007

This does not count...unless they get rings made like Texas did a few years ago for being CO-BIG 12 SOUTH CHAMPIONS!

Rhino
9/19/2008, 09:57 PM
Your comparison to earlier incarnations of KSU fans is spot-on. They've officially supplanted KSU fans as the most arrogant and uninformed fans in the Big 12. Yep.

stltigerfan
9/19/2008, 10:58 PM
C'mon guys. Really. This is the same way that every fanbase of a traditionally successful team describes the fanbase of the up-and-coming (or someone who's been down for a while) team in their league. I'm from St. Louis and this is the way that Cardinal fans describe the Cubs (who we like to say has been down for a century :)) or Brewers fans. There's really nothing different about the MU fanbase than anywhere else...when a team does well who hasn't for a long time...there is always greater excitement that "first" time again.

I would take offense that MU fans are "arrogant and uninformed"...I think this statement in and of itself is "arrogant and uninformed".

Anyway...hope to see you in Kansas City...maybe we can get you this time.

Of course, I haven't reserved my hotel room yet...anything can happen in CFB.

proudsoonergal
9/19/2008, 11:32 PM
This does not count...unless they get rings made like Texas did a few years ago for being CO-BIG 12 SOUTH CHAMPIONS!

Funny you mention that. I got to look at UT's media guide for this year - it makes a big deal about being South Division champs. It also spends lots of time talking about its NFL players...heh. :D

Piware
9/20/2008, 12:37 AM

Everybody has to have an a**hole and Mizzou is the North's these days.:P

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/20/2008, 01:58 AM
It also spends lots of time talking about its NFL players...heh. :D

Oh, you mean these guys? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120473) ;)

SoonerLB
9/20/2008, 12:23 PM
Everybody has to have an a**hole and Mizzou is the North's these days.:P

I would re-phrase that statement just a bit.........

Everybody has to have an a**hole and Chase Daniel is the North's these days.

Just sayin'.

Blitzkrieg
9/20/2008, 12:37 PM
I just laugh at characterizations of entire fan bases as being this or that.

cheezyq
9/20/2008, 01:21 PM
C'mon guys. Really. This is the same way that every fanbase of a traditionally successful team describes the fanbase of the up-and-coming (or someone who's been down for a while) team in their league. I'm from St. Louis and this is the way that Cardinal fans describe the Cubs (who we like to say has been down for a century :)) or Brewers fans. There's really nothing different about the MU fanbase than anywhere else...when a team does well who hasn't for a long time...there is always greater excitement that "first" time again.

I would take offense that MU fans are "arrogant and uninformed"...I think this statement in and of itself is "arrogant and uninformed".

Anyway...hope to see you in Kansas City...maybe we can get you this time.

Of course, I haven't reserved my hotel room yet...anything can happen in CFB.

It's absolutely fine to be excited about your team's improvement. But just like KSU of the 90s, your players (and a large majority of your fans) act like you deserve to win just because you've gotten there. You taunt teams like OU that have been there FAR longer and FAR more often than you. Be happy that you're doing well, but show some respect for those who have clearly been superior to you, and leave the trash talk for when you finally accomplish something. Otherwise, we'll point to every scoreboard since 1983 and relegate you to the OSU-style trash talkers of the world, always saying, "we'll get you next time!"

Being an OU fan in KC, I hear your "arrogant and uninformed" fans everyday. If MU does have any non-arrogant and informed fans, they're obviously keeping their mouths shut like they should.

r5TPsooner
9/20/2008, 01:59 PM
Have they played a true road game yet? Honestly, UT and KU are the only decent teams on there schedule.

They'll be in KC for the title game that's almost a certainty.

Also, I have an extremely hard time even thinking that the MU fan base can be as arrogant or as moronic, more so then the CU or KSU fan base.

JohnnyMack
9/20/2008, 02:37 PM
Right now Mizzou is in a dogfight at home with Buffalo.

SoonerJack
9/20/2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, JohnnyMack's right. Turner Gill's Buffalo team is giving the Tigers all they want. And this one is in Columbia. lol

proudsoonergal
9/20/2008, 03:19 PM
Is the game on anywhere? I'm only following via Gamecast.

Williesan
9/20/2008, 03:35 PM
33-21 Mizzery at end of 3rd. (From ESPN.com - no TV here in Tulsa)

Looks like they're moving the ball on Buffalo, but they have 3 fumbles.

Mizzou should win this one, but it's already closer than the score indicates.

Williesan

cheezyq
9/20/2008, 04:09 PM
Also, I have an extremely hard time even thinking that the MU fan base can be as arrogant or as moronic, more so then the CU or KSU fan base.

Oh, they don't compare with KSU fans at the height of that program's "success" (which was losing the CCG in '98)....not yet, but they're well on their way. The one thing that sets MU apart is that they haven't beaten us yet and they're already talking trash. But what sets KSU apart is that almost all of their wins against us were in the 90s with our worst teams.

Either way, the trend is there, regardless.