PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bomar state versus Kansas Jayhawks

Blitzkrieg
9/19/2008, 08:40 AM
Lame arse story on Bomar. His daddy is still handling him with kid gloves, it's all because Oklahomans love their football that he broke rules. STFU and go away.

http://www.kansascity.com/177/story/802138.html

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star Rhett Bomar has tried to forget.Since you last saw him, he enrolled at Sam Houston State. He sat out a full season, playing scout team quarterback at the Division I-AA school in Huntsville, Texas. He tore his ACL and rehabbed six months. He became a team leader for the Bearkats, one of the team’s hardest workers. Yes, a lot happened in the past two years to help separate Bomar from his past.
But this weekend, when he takes the field against Kansas at Memorial Stadium, Bomar will be forced to remember. He’ll be facing a Big 12 opponent — one that he beat three years ago as Oklahoma’s starting quarterback — and there will be 50,000 fans rooting against him. Thing is, he’s missed you.
“Playing in front of 85,000 people every week,” Bomar said, “it gets your blood pumping.”
He plays in front of 14,000 now, a far cry from the life he once lived. Bomar was the No. 1 quarterback recruit in the class of 2004 out of Grand Prairie, Texas, and he started as a redshirt freshman at Oklahoma. He won eight games in 2005, and the Sooners were a trendy pick to win the national championship in 2006. Bomar felt untouchable.
“In that state especially, they don’t have a pro team,” Bomar said. “That is their pro team. They used to always tell me the most recognizable people are the head coach and the quarterback.”
Bomar found out how true that was in August 2006, when word leaked out that he had been receiving improper benefits from a Norman car dealership. Bomar and teammate J.D. Quinn didn’t show up for work, yet they were on the payroll. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops acted swiftly when the news surfaced, kicking Bomar and Quinn off the team.
“Rhett was stupid,” says Jerry Bomar, Rhett’s father. “He listened to the wrong guy. He was 19, 20 years old, the MVP of the Holiday Bowl, and he was full of himself. Up there, you’re treated like a king.”
In shock that Oklahoma cut its ties with him, Bomar had to make a quick decision. He chose to go the Division I-AA route because he wouldn’t have to miss a full season; the precedent on cases like his suggested the NCAA would suspend him for a significant number of games, but not a full season. Bomar packed up and went to Sam Houston State, but it turned out he would have to miss all of 2006 after all.
The NCAA grilled Bomar about Oklahoma, trying to get him to blow the whistle. But Bomar took the high road.
“I have a lot of feelings toward that situation,” Bomar said. “I just didn’t say a lot of stuff. I didn’t want to rat out anybody or say a bunch of negative things.”
In July 2007, the NCAA punished Oklahoma by stripping it of the eight wins Bomar orchestrated in 2005. The Sooners appealed to the NCAA, and the wins were restored.
Jerry Bomar thinks that his son was made into a scapegoat by Oklahoma. That’s about all he’ll say about it, though. For now.
“Nobody knows the real story but Rhett and I,” Jerry said. “I don’t want to come across as Rhett being innocent in this deal. But he wasn’t driving a Cadillac.”
Bomar played the first eight games of his junior season, throwing for 2,209 yards before going down with an ACL injury. This season, Bomar is healthy again and looking to stay that way so he can be in position for a shot at the NFL, his ultimate goal all along. Sam Houston State coach Todd Whitten said that more NFL scouts have been around his program lately.
“You go to a smaller school,” Bomar said, “but it’s not like my talent got any less. They tell me they don’t care where I am.”
The KU defense will face a determined, talented quarterback on Saturday.
“Rhett,” Jerry Bomar said, “has become self-motivated to where it’s almost an obsession with him.”

Jason White's Third Knee
9/19/2008, 09:06 AM
I don't like the I know something, but I won't tell because I am cool crap. That makes him an ***. Just say you don't know anything and leave it at that. Otherwise, he is inferring that OU was doing a bunch of bad stuff, but he just isn't going to tell everyone. It makes him look like a liar.

I hope he does well. He was just young and seduced by the cash. Hard to blame him, but he could have had so much more.

Either way, the NCAA is a ****ty organization and should be destroyed by 2000 jonesing meth freaks armed only with ball peen hammers.

The_Red_Patriot
9/19/2008, 09:12 AM
ha....

Jerry is a great dad.

Blitzkrieg
9/19/2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the "well the whole story is really something else" line is pure chickenspit. If you have something to say, say it.

You can make a mountain out of a molehill the other way. Maybe he and Jerry can go on Oprah and play the victim, since no one ever is to blame for their actions anymore.

fwsooner22
9/19/2008, 09:37 AM
With dad setting such a great example of being a stand up guy I can't imagine how Rhett could have made those stupid mistakes.

Apples and trees.

badger
9/19/2008, 10:06 AM
Rhett Bomar has tried to forget.
We've tried to forget you too, Brett.

He tore his ACL and rehabbed six months.
Boo hoo, try tearing two.

He’ll be facing a Big 12 opponent — one that he beat three years ago as Oklahoma’s starting quarterback — and there will be 50,000 fans rooting against him. Thing is, he’s missed you.
Cue OSU whining about no mention of playing them last year in front of... I dunno, 30 thousand?

Bomar and teammate J.D. Quinn didn’t show up for work, yet they were on the payroll. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops acted swiftly when the news surfaced, kicking Bomar and Quinn off the team.
And this is society's fault, because... ;)

The NCAA grilled Bomar about Oklahoma, trying to get him to blow the whistle. But Bomar took the high road.
“I have a lot of feelings toward that situation,” Bomar said. “I just didn’t say a lot of stuff. I didn’t want to rat out anybody or say a bunch of negative things.”
JD was also asked about the things allegedly going on, but he couldn't/wouldn't say either. Somehow, when they've made the wrong decision over and over to accept money they didn't earn, taking the high road seems uncharacteristic.

Jerry Bomar thinks that his son was made into a scapegoat by Oklahoma. That’s about all he’ll say about it, though. For now.
“Nobody knows the real story but Rhett and I,” Jerry said. “I don’t want to come across as Rhett being innocent in this deal. But he wasn’t driving a Cadillac.”
Jerry: My son was not as awesome as Adrian Peterson... er... um... I mean... no comment.

“You go to a smaller school,” Bomar said, “but it’s not like my talent got any less. They tell me they don’t care where I am.”
The KU defense will face a determined, talented quarterback on Saturday.
“Rhett,” Jerry Bomar said, “has become self-motivated to where it’s almost an obsession with him.”
Tee hee, it's not like his talent got less... it's like the talent around him and the winning around him and the crowds around him got less! OMG!

If Rhett was really the god of Oklahoma that he thought he was, he'd still be here. Rhett was dumbfounded to discover that he was not bigger than Oklahoma football and the rules he so often tried to get away with breaking. Ugh. What a baby. The biggest hit on Romar from KU d00ds gets a million points.

My Opinion Matters
9/19/2008, 10:24 AM
Personally, I don't have any hard feelings towards the kid. He made some really stupid decisions, and he suffered the consequences. It's been proven we're a better team without him anyway.

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/19/2008, 10:35 AM
What I can't stand is his and Jerry's constant, "Well, there was so much other dirty stuff going on at that program, that what we did was insignificant. If you only knew..."

You know what? If you know so much, blow the whistle. Seriously. Bring it on. We've won championships before while on probation, and with the consistent level of talent that we bring into this school, we can do it again.

"But I'll tell you what, people, the greatest reward in football is winning. That's the most important goal there is. That's why they have scoreboards. So when they put us on probation, they made one mistake. They didn't tell us we wouldn't win the Big Eight championship. And nobody said we couldn't win the national championship. Men, that is our challenge." - Barry Switzer

But the key point is, if there was something there, come forward if you want to tell your story. Don't hide behind intentionally vague statements to the media, which they will then jump on because they're still living with the perception of OU circa January 1989. There's little doubt in my mind that Stoops runs a tight, clean ship, and the days of "How Barry Switzer's Sooners Terrorized Their Campus" are long gone.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:51 AM
Experts can only arrive to conclusions based on experience and research.

Bomar isn't close to being an expert.

I'd say someone who has been a Coach and worked his way up through the ranks to become a HC is more credible is arriving at what is dirty and what it takes to win.

boomermagic
9/19/2008, 11:18 AM
Good luck to Bomar.. I hope they beat KU.. They won't but I hope they do..

DallasSooner87
9/19/2008, 12:13 PM
I hope KU rolls over them, and much spek to the Jayhawk the hits him the hardest.

KingBarry
9/19/2008, 12:51 PM
I hope KU rolls over them, and much spek to the Jayhawk the hits him the hardest.

I had put this thing in the past, and harbored absolutely no ill feelings against the guy, until reading this article. I am ready to see him get slobberknocked. More than once.

KingDavid
9/19/2008, 12:52 PM
Good luck to both Bomar and KU.

I guess I want KU to throttle them purely for the sake of our schedule strength and the Big XII's reputation. But I truly hope to see Bomar play his best, and ultimately get his shot in the NFL.

I have a hard time finding fault with Jerry Bomar for his behavior/words in this article. Sure, the whole "no one knows the whole story" thing is a nuissance to US. But if it were my son, I'm sure I'd want to find at least some way to take some of the heat off and stand by his side. A Dad is not "coddling his little boy" when he acknowledges that his son was clearly at fault and even goes so far as to say that he "was stupid" for doing what he did.

I just can't see any reason to wish physical harm or lasting set-backs to Bomar as person or player. He was, like his Dad said, a stupid kid who made some stupid decisions as a result of getting "full of himself." He's taken his lumps (hard hits) already, gone through the "fires" of humiliation in a lot of ways, and looks like he's pulling through with at least some strengthened resolve, some character, and some humility. Good for him. That's the kind of potential success story that everyone should be cheering for . . . because most of us have been where Bomar was in one form or another . . . or will be soon enough.

The whole "nobody knows the whole story" line does unfortunately still show a crack in the character armor. Like someone else said, if the Bomars really wanted to take the high road, they'd just say something like this: "that was a tough lesson, but in the end I'm thankful to Coach Stoops and the OU program because the lesson in humility was more important to me than the glory I might have had by staying there and thinking I was 'above the law'."

But like I said above, I'm not going to be the one to cast the stone at that sort of response by father or son. It's annoying, petty, and certainly not saying anything that we don't already know (of course we don't know the whole story! So what?!) . . . but it's understandable, IMO.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/19/2008, 01:36 PM
Eff Bomar.

Big Red Ron
9/19/2008, 02:28 PM
Meh

Good luck Rhett but thanks for leaving the door open for Sam.

IronHorseSooner
9/19/2008, 02:51 PM
Meh

Good luck Rhett but thanks for leaving the door open for Sam.

My thoughts exactly!:D

bluedogok
9/19/2008, 08:40 PM
I think Bomar has handled himself much better than Quinn in the days since, also knowing how stories are written, context of quotes left out and things can be misconstrued, I don't put much stock into most articles like this that are written.

I consider that he committed a stupid act and paid the price, I hope he goes on and is successful because then it would show just how strong and principled you are to kick someone off a team who had a high level of talent and went on to be a star somewhere else.

Big Red Ron
9/19/2008, 08:55 PM
If he goes on to be an NFL star we'll be claiming him again. ;)

r5TPsooner
9/19/2008, 09:10 PM
If all of this dealership stuff would of happened at USC instead of OU, he'd still be the starting QB and he might have been suspended for a game or two tops if that.

Soonerus
9/19/2008, 09:11 PM

Certainly...

Socrefbek
9/19/2008, 09:41 PM

Speak fo yo sef. :cool: Bummar aint no Sooner in my book.

Edit: Note to self, make sure to notice winky prior to posting next time. :o

proudsoonergal
9/20/2008, 12:05 AM
If all of this dealership stuff would of happened at USC instead of OU, he'd still be the starting QB and he might have been suspended for a game or two tops if that.

Nah, he'd still be playing, probably without a suspension. USC had that cornerback dude that played last weekend after being charged with a *felony.*

goingoneight
9/20/2008, 12:11 AM
Methinks Sam Bradford might be disappointed to see this thread titled "Sam Bomar..."

SoonerBacker
9/20/2008, 10:07 AM
I think Bomar has handled himself much better than Quinn in the days since, also knowing how stories are written, context of quotes left out and things can be misconstrued, I don't put much stock into most articles like this that are written.

I consider that he committed a stupid act and paid the price, I hope he goes on and is successful because then it would show just how strong and principled you are to kick someone off a team who had a high level of talent and went on to be a star somewhere else.

I would have agreed until I saw this article. Bomar and his daddy are both trying to imply that Stoops runs a dirty program and they are just too righteous to say anything.

Now, when I see him crying about his injuries and his bad luck, all I'll be able to think is, "Frankly, Rhett, I don't give a d@mn!"

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/20/2008, 10:47 AM
Methinks Sam Bradford might be disappointed to see this thread titled "Sam Bomar..."Being the OU(higher edumacation) student that he is, however, he MIGHT be able to figure out why there's "Sam" in the title.

badger
9/20/2008, 10:51 AM
Being the OU(higher edumacation) student that he is, however, he MIGHT be able to figure out why there's "Sam" in the title.

Duh, because he doesn't like Green Eggs and Ham! :D

... and I don't think Brett Romar is going to be an NFL quarterback. Jerry does not surprise me once again - Jerry has been Rhett's coach since he arrived at OU campus and long before and I doubt the kid listens to anyone else (including Josh Heupel and Bob Stoops). The fact that kid did something Jerry didn't tell him to do for once is why he probably called him "stupid."

In any event, he's not going NFLing, because his decision making and his past injuries would be large concerns. But, whatever. Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk, K...U...!

Blitzkrieg
9/20/2008, 12:41 PM
Sam Bradford State? What in the sam houtson hell?

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 01:12 PM
He's got the talent to make a team, even as a back up. Look at Matt Casel in NE. He hasn't even started a game since HS. Just born talented, like Bomar.

r5TPsooner
9/20/2008, 01:40 PM
Nah, he'd still be playing, probably without a suspension. USC had that cornerback dude that played last weekend after being charged with a *felony.*

Probably, I was trying to give the NCAA the benefit of the doubt.

My bad.:)