PDA

View Full Version : 401Ks

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 06:02 AM
My account is managed by JP Morgan. So is my Wife's account.

The thing is...they aren't managed the same.

Mine used to alllow you to go into your account and move from fund to fund, etc.

Now there is an investments option area that requires you to sign on and agree to terms of only ONE advice consultant. You can't evn choose who you want to use. It's them or nothing. It's not free either.

We went to the Wife's account this morning and moved things around just as I used to be able to do in mine.

As many 401k investment options are losing money...I'd like to move some of my dough around...especially if things start to rebound.

I'm thinking that what has happened to ME having access to my own money in my account...isn't right.

Any thoughts from those with financial knowledge?

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 08:48 AM
Nothing?

No one has a plan like this?

Partial Qualifier
9/19/2008, 09:06 AM
Mine and everyone else's I know of are managed by Fidelity, and although different employers' plans have different sets of funds to choose from, all are managed the same way - the 401k owner has free reign to move around (with some limitations)

asked your employer yet?

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 09:41 AM
asked your employer yet?

I've been online with them for 30 minutes. I'm listening to some wonderful classical music. :mad:

She says I enrolled in this asset allocation manager deal back in 2007.

She says I had to be on the phone for that to occur.

I told her that I wasn't able to change my allocations the way I used to and that I wanted it back the way it used to be...shuffled me off.

Finally this guy comes on and says I enrolled too.

He asked me what changes I wished to make...

I told him..."I guess I want to fire you" :D

He said...can do and your changes will take affect on Monday.

I absolutely know that I have been able to make changes to my account before....this stinks of something bad IMO.

Anyway...I got what I wanted...at least I'll know Monday I guess.

I got a letter in the mail the other day saying all I needed to do was agree to the terms and a Asset Manager could assist me....thing is...I've never used them. I just noticed I got shutout of the system I was used to using.

I haven't had time to mess with it for the last month as I would have to take the time to straighten this crap out unless I took the day off.

Since I'm not working today...I FIRED THEIR ***!

Rant Over.

I feel a little better now. :D

Penguin
9/19/2008, 10:05 AM
I invest all of my money in pr0n.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:07 AM
I invest all of my money in pr0n.

I lost enough from one bad portfolio investment to buy some really nice pron. :D

Really nice...lol

It will bounce back.

Hamhock
9/19/2008, 10:20 AM
imho,

making changes to your 401k based on current market conditions (today or a year from now) is a mistake.

get a long term plan. stick with it.

you CANNOT time the market.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:41 AM
imho,

making changes to your 401k based on current market conditions (today or a year from now) is a mistake.

get a long term plan. stick with it.

you CANNOT time the market.

I would agree with you for the most part.

I'm not making any drastic changes...I lost in one of my accounts really badly and there are a couple of others I'm iffy on due to some knowledge I received about them.

The thing I wanted to fix was my access.

Right now...I'm not paying for any experts as I don't believe there are any.