PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineer Board

Leroy Lizard
9/18/2008, 11:27 PM
Someone needs to go in there and ask if anyone has any opinions on Coach Stewart.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2508

Total meltdown.

goingoneight
9/18/2008, 11:30 PM
I'll save you the trouble with the obvious:

"Coach Stewart was good enough to kick y'alls' asses."

Glass houses, IMO. Let's just be happy Stoops is going to outshine Stew in the long run...

boomersooner28
9/19/2008, 09:05 AM
They all want Terry Bowden! Hah!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MojoRisen
9/19/2008, 09:17 AM
Stewart didn't look like he had any control over his team. He is not the answer for them unfortunately and they just extended his contract -

stoopified
9/19/2008, 09:19 AM
Mountaineer implosion.

TexasLidig8r
9/19/2008, 09:38 AM
They have computers in West Virginia??? :confused:

NormanPride
9/19/2008, 09:40 AM
A trained monkey could have coached that team to beat us. We weren't into the game, and they were so jacked up for it I'm surprised they didn't jump out of their skin.

My Opinion Matters
9/19/2008, 10:28 AM
Bill Stewart remind A LOT of Larry Coker. I think he may even be a clone of Larry Coker. Great guys, really soild coordinators, totally in over their head being the big chief.

cheezyq
9/19/2008, 11:12 AM
I can't remember a single moment where Bill Stewart appeared focused on the game last night. It seemed like every time the cameras panned over to him he was walking the sidelines, completely ignoring the action on the field. And I've never seen a coach over a big-time program forget that it's the end of regulation, suddenly notice the clock, and panic to call a timeout after 30 seconds have passed. That was unreal.

I now think that WV just beat us on auto-pilot. He gets his players fired up before the game, and they run the same 15 plays in rotation, regardless of down/distance.

OUMallen
9/19/2008, 11:25 AM
Bill Stewart remind A LOT of Larry Coker. I think he may even be a clone of Larry Coker. Great guys, really soild coordinators, totally in over their head being the big chief.

Coker did pretty well at Miami for a while, if you remember. Bill Stewart hasn't been a head coach but a matter of months. Premature comparison, and if Coker is not at ThugU, he could have had better success. I think ultimately is inability to relate to today's players hurt him as much as anything.

badger
9/19/2008, 11:37 AM
Tommy Tubberville lost a little (actually, a lot) his first year at Auburn too. How early is too early for a fandom meltdown?

My Opinion Matters
9/19/2008, 12:05 PM
Coker did pretty well at Miami for a while, if you remember. Bill Stewart hasn't been a head coach but a matter of months. Premature comparison, and if Coker is not at ThugU, he could have had better success. I think ultimately is inability to relate to today's players hurt him as much as anything.

Wow. You couldn't be any more confused than if you beat yourself to death with a stick with "confused" written on it. You're hypothesizing that having the absurd stable of talent that Miami had in the earlier part of this decade actually prevented Coker from succeeding? :confused:

I have nothing against Larry Coker, but anyone, anyone, could have won there when he did. When it came to build and sustain a program with his own players he clearly didn't produce. I make the comparison between him and Stewart because both of seem to have that good ol' boy "Aw, shucks" demeanor.

SoonerDood
9/19/2008, 12:10 PM
Stoops has lost to some crappy coaches in his 9+ seasons:
Bob Davie, David Cutcliffe, Spike Dykes, Mack Brown, Frank Solich, Gary Barnett, RC, :les:, Karl Dorell

SoonerLB
9/19/2008, 12:53 PM
West Virginia fans just need to realize, that when you face a Big 12 team, you generally get beat. It would be nice to say consistently, but we all know who screwed up and lost to them..........., once........., it won't happen again.

JLEW1818
9/19/2008, 01:10 PM
They hired him because it was feel good story, look how old he is, and this is his first head coaching job. hmmmmmm

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2008, 02:21 PM
when a team rallies around a coach(ala fiesta bowl last year), they play like their pants are on fire...when the rally is over, somebody throws water on them...

Thats what made me nervous about the osu game in 2000...it was bob simmons last game and his team was gonna play tough...thankfully it wasnt enough to win

cheezyq
9/19/2008, 02:25 PM
From EDSBS:

"The moment in that game where we realized Bill Stewart could not manage a team came not at the end of the second half–which was really just piling on evidence of an already strong verdict–but at the end of the first half. Bill Stewart took both timeouts with great effort and and insistence in order to make CU punt from their 5 yard line or so. On 4th down with three seconds, Dan Hawkins and Colorado opted to foil the whole thing by looking at the clock, seeing it had 3 seconds, doing some very complex math and then calling a run play…which ran out the clock and took the team harmlessly to the half.

It was a bit like watching the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the swordsman flails impressively for an instant in the bazaar showdown before Indy grabs his gun and shoots him dead."

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/09/19/damn-you-overtime/

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2008, 02:38 PM
Stoops has lost to some crappy coaches in his 9+ seasons:
Bob Davie, David Cutcliffe, Spike Dykes, Mack Brown, Frank Solich, Gary Barnett, RC, :les:, Karl Dorell

?

IIRC, we beat Tech in 1999, after which point Mike Leach was the coach in Lubbock.

Or am I misremembering?

Edit: I was. My fault. We lost in Lubbock in 1999.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2008, 02:40 PM
lost to spike in his last game in 99

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2008, 02:41 PM
Yep. Caught it and edited while you were posting.

Funny. Blake beat Spike in his last game, Spike beat Bob in his.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2008, 02:42 PM
I remember a lot of people thinking that win would save Blake's job..Thankfully those people were wrong

Jacie
9/19/2008, 02:54 PM
From EDSBS:

"Bill Stewart took both timeouts with great effort and and insistence in order to make CU punt from their 5 yard line or so. On 4th down with three seconds, Dan Hawkins and Colorado opted to foil the whole thing by looking at the clock, seeing it had 3 seconds, doing some very complex math and then calling a run play…which ran out the clock and took the team harmlessly to the half.

It was a bit like watching the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the swordsman flails impressively for an instant in the bazaar showdown before Indy grabs his gun and shoots him dead."

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/09/19/damn-you-overtime/

What might be the best example of how this strategy can backfire on a coach was an OU @ aggie game, Cale Gundy's freshman year. With OU facing a 4th down on the 50-yard line and the clock running out, Pat Jones opts to make the Sooners punt by calling timeout. It surprised the hell out of the o-staters when Gibbs had Oklahoma line up and run a play, to wit, a hail mary pass caught by an OU player at the 2 and carried in for a touchdown at the halftime gun. This single play, nicknamed the Cale Mary set the tone for Gundy's career as a Sooner, in which he would go on to break every Oklahoma passing record (eclipsed since, of course).

pb4ou
9/19/2008, 03:28 PM
What might be the best example of how this strategy can backfire on a coach was an OU @ aggie game, Cale Gundy's freshman year. With OU facing a 4th down on the 50-yard line and the clock running out, Pat Jones opts to make the Sooners punt by calling timeout. It surprised the hell out of the o-staters when Gibbs had Oklahoma line up and run a play, to wit, a hail mary pass caught by an OU player at the 2 and carried in for a touchdown at the halftime gun. This single play, nicknamed the Cale Mary set the tone for Gundy's career as a Sooner, in which he would go on to break every Oklahoma passing record (eclipsed since, of course).

heh, I remember that game. That was one of the few OU games I have been to.

Leroy Lizard
9/19/2008, 09:02 PM
Mike, I think you are wrong. We lost to Spike in his last game in 1999.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2008, 09:04 PM

i think we already answered that:)

Frozen Sooner
9/19/2008, 09:06 PM
?

IIRC, we beat Tech in 1999, after which point Mike Leach was the coach in Lubbock.

Or am I misremembering?

Edit: I was. My fault. We lost in Lubbock in 1999.

No way dude. We totally beat Tech in 1998. I remember it.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/20/2008, 01:24 AM
Tommy Tubberville lost a little (actually, a lot) his first year at Auburn too. How early is too early for a fandom meltdown?

Big difference between Tubby and Stewart. Tubbs already had four years of head coaching experience at Ole Miss prior to bolting for Auburn, and the Tigers/War Eagles/Plainsmen were in bad shape from the Terry Bowden disaster (he went downhill after his perfect debut season in '93 with Pat Dye's players). Tubbs had Auburn in contention for a bowl his first year but lost to 'Bama in the season finale to finish just under .500, and then gradually rebuilt the program to where it has enjoyed solid success since.

I'll use another example of a coach that was in way over his head early on and never recovered: Bobby Williams at Michigan State. Took over before the bowl game to end the '99 season when Nick Saban left for LSU. Team pretty much wanted Williams, a Saban assistant, promoted and got their wish when MSU beat Florida in the Citrus Bowl. But Williams didn't survive his third full season at MSU.