PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor?

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2008, 08:02 PM
Mother to ask Congress to award son Medal of Honor
By CHELSEA J. CARTER, AP Military Affairs Writer
59 minutes ago
CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. - The mother of a Marine who witnesses say covered a grenade with his body to save comrades in Iraq plans to appeal to Congress to award her son the nation's highest military honor after learning it was denied by Defense Secretary Robert Gates because of questions about his final act.

Rosa Peralta said Thursday she made the decision after a Marine general told her that her son, Sgt. Rafael Peralta, would be awarded the Navy Cross rather than the Medal of Honor because the nomination was tainted by reports he was accidentally shot by a fellow Marine shortly before an insurgent lobbed the grenade.

"I'm going to see what can be done, because I'm not satisfied with what they want to do now," she said in Spanish.

President Bush singled out the Marine's actions in a 2005 Memorial Day speech, saying Peralta "understood that America faces dangerous enemies, and he knew the sacrifices required to defeat them."

"The president spoke of him. So how is this now possible that they do this," Rosa Peralta said.

She said she was considering rejecting the Navy Cross, the second-highest award for valor in combat that can be awarded to a Marine. Peralta will be the 24th recipient of the Navy Cross for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I still don't know what I'm going to do," she said.

The question about whether to award Peralta the Medal of Honor centers on whether the mortally wounded Marine, who was shot in the head and upper body, could have intentionally reached for the grenade and covered it with his body.

"There was conflicting evidence in the case of Sgt. Peralta as to whether he could have performed his final acts given the nature of his injuries," said Capt. Beci Brenton, spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Donald Winter.

The initial recommendation that he receive the Medal of Honor went through reviews by the Marine Corps, U.S. Central Command, the Department of the Navy and ultimately up to Defense Secretary Gates, Brenton said.

After all the evidence was scrutinized, officials determined that it "did not meet the exact standard necessary to support the Medal of Honor," she said.

But Rosa Peralta said she was led to believe her son would get the Medal of Honor in a November 2007 telephone call from an undersecretary of the Navy, who she says told her the nomination was to be forwarded to the White House.

Defense Department spokesman Bryan Whitman said there was a June 2007 Navy recommendation for the Medal of Honor, but it never went to the White House because Gates didn't approve it.

He said that because there was some contradictory evidence, Gates instead took the extra step of asking five other individuals to review the case — a former commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, a Medal of Honor recipient, a civilian neurosurgeon who is retired from the military and two forensic pathologists who also are military retirees.

The five were given medical reports that had not been available in the initial review. They thoroughly reviewed the case again, including inspecting the evidence and re-enacting the event, Whitman said.

"Each independently recommended to the secretary that the evidence did not support the award of Medal of Honor," he said.

Gates made his decision this month.

A Medal of Honor nomination is typically made by the military, approved by the Department of Defense and conferred by the president. But a nomination can also be made through a special act of Congress and then bestowed by the president on behalf of Congress.

The Medal of Honor comes with about $1,000 a month special pension in addition to other military pensions.

Peralta was shot several times in the face and body during a house-to-house search in Fallujah on Nov. 15, 2004, during some of the fiercest fighting of the war.

According to witness accounts, Peralta lay mortally wounded on the floor of a house and grabbed a grenade lobbed by fleeing insurgents. His body absorbed the blast and he died immediately.

In a rare move, the Marine Corps Thursday released a redacted copy of the Medal of Honor nomination by Lt. Gen. Richard Natonski and an investigative report detailing the "friendly fire" shooting of the sergeant.

The report found sufficient evidence existed to believe that Peralta was probably shot by a fellow Marine and that a gunshot wound to the head and injuries to the head from a grenade caused his death.

The nomination, which relies on witness statements, forensics, bomb fragment analysis and an autopsy, concluded that although Peralta was shot in the head, he made "a conscious, heroic decision to cover the grenade and minimize the effects he knew it would have on the rest of his Marine team."

The nomination details Peralta's actions in the final minutes of his life, with several witnesses recounting how the Marine lay face down and used his arm to pull the grenade to him. It also says a forensic analysis of Peralta's clothing and flak jacket show the grenade was underneath him when it exploded.

Peralta, who was assigned to Hawaii's 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, moved to San Diego from Tijuana as a teenager. He was 25.

:(

Okla-homey
9/18/2008, 08:09 PM
I'm going to weigh in here. I've served on boards that considered acts of heroism for award of decorations. If the DoD decided this Marine's act was not worthy of a MOH, this mom needs to leave it alone.

Besides, the Navy Cross is NOT some easily won geegaw. It's our nation's second highest award for heroism in combat.

Penguin
9/18/2008, 08:13 PM
So he's not getting the medal because he was going to die anyway?

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 08:18 PM
I hope this Issue Is Revisted, And the Correct decision Made .If In fact it hasnt been already
The Integrity Of the MOH must be protected .

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2008, 08:19 PM
This saddens me.

I think there is a veiled implication that because he was mortally wounded because of friendly fire, his squadmates might be embellishing the story somewhat.

Homey is right, MOH or Navy Cross...RIP Marine.

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:20 PM
The way the article is written it seems like the overriding factor in getting the Navy Cross over the Medal of Honor is the fact that his head wound was from "friendly fire".

Okla-homey
9/18/2008, 08:21 PM
So he's not getting the medal because he was going to die anyway?

Just maybe the DoD position is he accidentally fell on the grenade as he was dying of wounds. That would explain their bringing the neurosurgeon in on the call.

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 08:21 PM
The way the article is written it seems like the overriding factor in getting the Navy Cross over the Medal of Honor is the fact that his head wound was from "friendly fire".

And we all Know Reporters Nevar slant their articles .;)

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:23 PM
And we all Know Reporters Nevar slant their articles .;)

well I read a different article earlier that had comments from 3 of the guys who were in that group with him, and his former CO. One of whom is now a recruiter and said that if it wasn't for Peralta, the guy wouldn't know his kids. It gave the same perception though.

soonerscuba
9/18/2008, 08:24 PM
I'm going to weigh in here. I've served on boards that considered acts of heroism for award of decorations. If the DoD decided this Marine's act was not worthy of a MOH, this mom needs to leave it alone.

Besides, the Navy Cross is NOT some easily won geegaw. It's our nation's second highest award for heroism in combat.Since you seem to have some knowledge here, I had a question.

Do people wait around to see if a MoH is awarded? I mean, was this family lead to believe that he was up for the award and then Navy Cross came in the mail? It seems that it would be better if it was something of a surprise to avoid situations like this.

Okla-homey
9/18/2008, 08:30 PM
Since you seem to have some knowledge here, I had a question.

Do people wait around to see if a MoH is awarded? I mean, was this family lead to believe that he was up for the award and then Navy Cross came in the mail? It seems that it would be better if it was something of a surprise to avoid situations like this.

We were always briefed that absolute confidentiality was the rule. For this very reason. And no family gets a posthumous Navy Cross in the mail. At the very least, a flag officer would present it to the NOK in a ceremony.

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:34 PM
In this case, the guy's former CO came to inform his mother that he would be getting the NC instead of the MoH.

Lott's Bandana
9/18/2008, 08:41 PM
Kid moves from Mex to San Diego and becomes a Marine.

Regardless of the exact story, his Mama should be proud and no dig on her for wanting the most for the memory of her son. There are a lot of Marines and Soldiers that share that same backstory and we are fortunate to have them.

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:50 PM
You bring up a good point with that actually, the kid came here as an illegal. On the day he got his green card he enlisted. Clearly not all illegals are bad ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
9/18/2008, 09:24 PM
Let's just hope that in her grief, mom doesn't taint the memory of a Marine we ALL can be proud of, CMH or Navy Cross be damned.

Fact is, he died serving our nation. The man is being honored for his service and for selfless acts in the line of duty. I hope and pray THAT'S what goes down on this young man's tombstone, not the story of his poor, grieving mother in a pissing match over what slab of brass they pin on his dress blues.

LoyalFan
9/19/2008, 02:33 AM

Besides, the Navy Cross is NOT some easily won geegaw. It's our nation's second highest award for heroism in combat.

Concur on all counts. Had sinilar duty. Some decisions were tough, VERY tough.

"Lancer 6"
AKA LoyalFan

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 06:43 AM
In denying the cross are they inplying that the friendly-fire incident was covered up by placing a grenade on his body?

If that's the case...there probably should be an investigation....right?

I'd hate to see her Son lose either decoration as it's pretty clear he served when he didn't have to do so.

There are plenty of folks who would have never put themselves in the position he did by joining the Military.

His Mom should be proud of him no matter the outcome.

After all the Pat Tillman fallout....stuff like this concerns me as I don't want to see the Military damaged because of someones bad decision....but I also think justice needs to be served if something stinks.

RIP Marine. :(

Scott D
9/19/2008, 09:49 AM
In denying the cross are they inplying that the friendly-fire incident was covered up by placing a grenade on his body?

If that's the case...there probably should be an investigation....right?

I'd hate to see her Son lose either decoration as it's pretty clear he served when he didn't have to do so.

There are plenty of folks who would have never put themselves in the position he did by joining the Military.

His Mom should be proud of him no matter the outcome.

After all the Pat Tillman fallout....stuff like this concerns me as I don't want to see the Military damaged because of someones bad decision....but I also think justice needs to be served if something stinks.

RIP Marine. :(

It sounds more like the "friendly fire" is being used in the reasoning that it lessens the heroic act by him by saying he didn't make a conscious decision to fall on the grenade.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 09:52 AM
It sounds more like the "friendly fire" is being used in the reasoning that it lessens the heroic act by him by saying he didn't make a conscious decision to fall on the grenade.

I'm glad it going that way I guess...

Again...I never had the opportunity to serve so I just go by what friends of mine have experienced.

I hope whatever the outcome...it's one of Honor for all involved.

ST

Scott D
9/19/2008, 09:54 AM
And those questioning why the mother is doing what she is doing. It has more to do with the guys who served with her son who have come home, including his former CO outright saying that the wrong decision was made in giving him the NC over the MoH. So it's not like she's making some irrational maverick type of move in the matter, it's based on the words of the men that served with her son.

fadada1
9/19/2008, 05:18 PM
very difficult situation to break down. unfortunately, it sounds as if mom is more upset that her son didn't receive the MOH, and less upset that he was killed in action. just my perception.

while not a perfect "science", i'd bet everything i own that mom was not there to witness his actions. leave it up to the men that were there and those that investigate these things.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 05:23 PM
Well...as far as losing your Son...

That's got to be hard...but having the guys he served with come back and tell you he was a Hero and you realize that yes you lost your Son...but he became more than you could ever have hoped for in life as a man...

That's something that combined with my faith and his actions in life....well I'd like to think I'd find some peace knowing that I fought for his Honor as hard as he fought to save the lives of his buddies.

Just sayin'...

fadada1
9/19/2008, 05:45 PM
i totally agree, ST.

but the MOH is not a "participant ribbon" given out to everyone that had bullets fired in their direction. with such a sensitive situation and the difficulty involved in "awarding" the Medal of Honor, if it wasn't given, there must be a very good reason for it.

i remember hearing an interview with a MOH winner. he put it very well (and i can't remember the actual quotes). so many things have to work in your favor to get the award. about 5 things have to happen to perfection. you have to go above and beyond. you have to have done something that resulted in potentially more enemy deaths and fewer good guy deaths. someone has to see it happen. someone that saw it has to remember it and write it down. that same person has to live through the incident in question. and finally, that person has to nominate you.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 05:49 PM
i totally agree, ST.

but the MOH is not a "participant ribbon" given out to everyone that had bullets fired in their direction. with such a sensitive situation and the difficulty involved in "awarding" the Medal of Honor, if it wasn't given, there must be a very good reason for it.

i remember hearing an interview with a MOH winner. he put it very well (and i can't remember the actual quotes). so many things have to work in your favor to get the award. about 5 things have to happen to perfection. you have to go above and beyond. you have to have done something that resulted in potentially more enemy deaths and fewer good guy deaths. someone has to see it happen. someone that saw it has to remember it and write it down. that same person has to live through the incident in question. and finally, that person has to nominate you.

Good Post Fadada...

I hearby agree with you and Homey in that someone needs to explain this to her and the guys involved...and...she should more than likely let it go and accept the NC.

I'd hate for her to not make the correct decision....the guy sounds like a Hero to me.

Harry Beanbag
9/19/2008, 07:15 PM
And those questioning why the mother is doing what she is doing. It has more to do with the guys who served with her son who have come home, including his former CO outright saying that the wrong decision was made in giving him the NC over the MoH. So it's not like she's making some irrational maverick type of move in the matter, it's based on the words of the men that served with her son.

I hope this is the case and she's just not out to get the extra $1000 a month that comes with a MOH.

Harry Beanbag
9/19/2008, 07:19 PM

The way I read it was since he was shot in the head they were questioning his ability to even make that decision. If he wasn't capable of making the decision to fall on the grenade then it's not really an "act" at all is it?

AggieTool
9/19/2008, 07:38 PM
Maybe she was enlightened as to the perqs a CMH recipient's family are entitled to.

..just sayin.

olevetonahill
9/19/2008, 09:41 PM
I hope this is the case and she's just not out to get the extra $1000 a month that comes with a MOH.

Bingo !!!!!
Ive thot it But you Said it .
Dayum the young Man got awarded the 2nd Highest.

olevetonahill
9/19/2008, 09:45 PM
The way I read it was since he was shot in the head they were questioning his ability to even make that decision. If he wasn't capable of making the decision to fall on the grenade then it's not really an "act" at all is it?

I agree Harry, It is one Strenouos process.
This is Kinda Like the Death penalty Folks .
Id rather see 1 Not get it as 25 that dont deserve It Recieve it .
That Is The Highest Medal Our country Can give .

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:18 PM
I agree Harry, It is one Strenouos process.
This is Kinda Like the Death penalty Folks .
Id rather see 1 Not get it as 25 that dont deserve It Recieve it .
That Is The Highest Medal Our country Can give .

I can see that.

You want to make sure you keep the Honor in the MoH.

Is there a site you can visit that lists the stories behind the MoH folks?

I bet that is some great stuff if there is.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:19 PM
I think I found it...

http://www.cmohs.org/recipients.htm

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:27 PM
Paul Smith MoH

http://www.cmohs.org/recipients/images/Paul_R_Smith.jpg

Wow.

Paul R. Smith

CITATION

------------------------------------------------------------------
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of Congress the Medal of Honor to
Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith
United States Army

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with an armed enemy near Baghdad International Airport, Baghdad, Iraq on 4 April 2003. On that day, Sergeant First Class Smith was engaged in the construction of a prisoner of war holding area when his Task Force was violently attacked by a company-sized enemy force. Realizing the vulnerability of over 100 fellow soldiers, Sergeant First Class Smith quickly organized a hasty defense consisting of two platoons of soldiers, one Bradley Fighting Vehicle and three armored personnel carriers. As the fight developed, Sergeant First Class Smith braved hostile enemy fire to personally engage the enemy with hand grenades and anti-tank weapons, and organized the evacuation of three wounded soldiers from an armored personnel carrier struck by a rocket propelled grenade and a 60mm mortar round. Fearing the enemy would overrun their defenses, Sergeant First Class Smith moved under withering enemy fire to man a .50 caliber machine gun mounted on a damaged armored personnel carrier. In total disregard for his own life, he maintained his exposed position in order to engage the attacking enemy force. During this action, he was mortally wounded. His courageous actions helped defeat the enemy attack, and resulted in as many as 50 enemy soldiers killed, while allowing the safe withdrawal of numerous wounded soldiers. Sergeant First Class Smith’s extraordinary heroism and uncommon valor are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, the Third Infantry Division “Rock of the Marne,” and the United States Army.

olevetonahill
9/19/2008, 10:31 PM
I can see that.

You want to make sure you keep the Honor in the MoH.

Is there a site you can visit that lists the stories behind the MoH folks?

I bet that is some great stuff if there is.

Yes , you will Hear /Or read shat that will Make you Hair Stand up .

olevetonahill
9/19/2008, 10:33 PM
Ill say it again the 2 type Of Folks that I had interaction with , That desreve the MOH . Are the Combat medics, and the ACH crews that got us outta the shat !

olevetonahill
9/19/2008, 10:34 PM
Not sayin Others Didnt But those Folks Came into the shat and Bailed us out .

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 10:36 PM
Corporal Jason Dunham
4th Platoon, Co. K, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, 1st Marine Division (Reinforced), U.S. Marine Corps.

Covered a grenade to shield and save the lives of his fellow Marines while fighting hand to hand combat.

http://www.cmohs.org/recipients/jldunham.htm

God Bless America

We are truly blessed with folks who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

fadada1
9/20/2008, 05:56 AM
all good stuff.

i had the pleasure of meeting a MOH winner during my time in the navy. he was a marine helicopter pilot during vietnam and managed to put himself in harms was about eleventy billion times in a day to save a bunch of men. a bunch of us got our picture with him. very nice man. managed to find his award letter on the MOH site a few years ago.

unfortunately now, it seems they are only giving them out to men who die during combat. don't know why that is, but it seems to be the trend. i'm not sure if the man i met was wounded in anyway. somebody was obviously looking out for him that day. my uncle knew a guy during his time in the marines. MOH winner during korea. don't know if the guy even ended up with a scratch.

stoopified
9/21/2008, 04:15 PM
Her son has been highly decorated for his sacrifice,I don't understand the problem accepting the Navy Cross.My father was nominated for a Silver Star in Viet Nam and instead was awarded his second Bronze Star.That never seemed to bother my Dad.