PDA

View Full Version : Ron Kessler: Why The Polls May Be Wrong - Is race a factor?

Civicus_Sooner
9/18/2008, 12:18 PM
By Ron Kessler On Newsmax.com ~ Most polls may be overstating Barack Obama’s support by 5 to 10 percentage points because those surveyed may not be telling the truth about voting for him, ad executive Gabe Joseph III tells Newsmax.

It is possible that, when live callers ask for a respondent’s name, the individual is more likely to say he will vote for Obama, says Joseph, president of ccAdvertising, which conducts polls for a range of candidates and members of Congress. When automated dialers do the polling, respondents are more likely to give an honest answer because they think of the poll as being anonymous.

“I believe the traditional pollsters, when they ask your name, institute a bias,” Joseph says. “We never ask anybody who they are. We do not have to. The only personal identification we obtain comes at the end of the survey when we ask about gender and age.”

The difference is apparent when automated pollster results are compared with traditional polls that ask the individual’s name, he says. In many circles, particularly within the traditional Democrat base, it is politically incorrect to tell a pollster the respondent will not vote for Obama, he says.

“It’s very difficult to ask a question about race and get an accurate answer,” Joseph says. “People are concerned that their name is going to get out. So the only way that we’ve been able to track it, is to actually do surveys where the respondent is not identified before elections, before primaries. If you do one beforehand, you can look at the difference and you see what’s really happening.”

The clearest example of the disparity was in the Democratic primary in New Hampshire. The polls showed Obama running ahead of Hillary Clinton by up to 13 points. When the returns came in, Obama had lost by three points to his fellow Democrat.

The phenomenon has been dubbed the Bradley Effect, first identified in a 1982 California gubernatorial election. Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley was the supposed front-runner in an open race. Polls showed the African-American Democrat running well ahead of white Republican candidate George Deukmejian. Yet, when the returns came in, Bradley lost by more than 50,000 votes.

To be sure, when it comes to Obama, not every primary election validated the Bradley Effect. But now, in every state ccAdvertising is tracking, Joseph has discerned “a 5-point to 10-point difference” between the number of respondents who say they will vote for Obama when asked anonymously, compared with results when pollsters request their names.

In ccAdvertising’s most recent poll on Sept. 7, the company surveyed 130,000 homes in 13 targeted states. Overall, 48.5 percent of the respondents said they would vote for McCain, compared with 40.2 percent for Obama, a difference of 8.3 percentage points. Of the respondents, 11.3 percent said they had no preference.

The results showed a decrease in support for Obama of 4.9 percent and an increase in support for McCain of 6.3 percent over a previous poll taken before the conventions.

McCain won 11 of the states surveyed with 149 electoral votes: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Obama won two of the states surveyed with 86 electoral votes: California and New York.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/18/2008, 12:31 PM
Vote Barry for Dogcatcher, duPage Township, Illinois '009

frankensooner
9/18/2008, 12:35 PM
Ha, ha, rushie, you are a funny guy. ;)

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 12:38 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/gm080505.jpg

Civicus_Sooner
9/18/2008, 12:39 PM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/gm080505.jpg"Uhm does Hillary Clinton count?" :D

Curly Bill
9/18/2008, 05:52 PM
I've long thought what the initial post is saying, that there are people that will not vote for Brack when it comes time, but do not want to say it because it's not PC.

tommieharris91
9/18/2008, 06:18 PM
What I hear from the lefties is that the young voters are often not reached by the polls because they do not own land line phones, and go unrepresented. I'm not buying this reasoning though.

swardboy
9/18/2008, 06:22 PM
I remember hearing about this phenomena quite a while back but had forgotten it. Thanks for posting.

Man, the dems should have owned this election. Weird...

badger
9/18/2008, 06:23 PM
People will say it's not an issue, but in the privacy of a polling booth, will consider it. It's the same thing that held Jesse Jackson back 20 years ago.

yermom
9/18/2008, 06:30 PM
i'm not convinced that the distribution of the people that answer one way are the same as the people that actually show up to vote

it's all a crapshoot with the low voter turnout. unless there is some salient issue people just don't come out much

there may be some common factor that people that back a black candidate don't actually show up to vote for some reason.

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 06:49 PM
I've long thought what the initial post is saying, that there are people that will not vote for Brack when it comes time, but do not want to say it because it's not PC.

Ive said it awhile Back
When Its just the Voter in the Booth . Its sad that we arnt there Yet.
I do Believ tho that If wasnt Brack , It would Be differant .

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 06:50 PM
People will say it's not an issue, but in the privacy of a polling booth, will consider it. It's the same thing that held Jesse Jackson back 20 years ago.

I realy think It was JJs Militant Mouth that Knocked his dick in the dirt .

Curly Bill
9/18/2008, 06:52 PM
Ive said it awhile Back
When Its just the Voter in the Booth . Its sad that we arnt there Yet.
I do Believ tho that If wasnt Brack , It would Be differant .

I largely agree with this, that for the most part us white peeps are willing to vote for a black candidate if it's the right black candidate.

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 06:54 PM
I largely agree with this, that for the most part us white peeps are willing to vote for a black candidate if it's the right black candidate.

I can think Of 2 :D
Colin Powell or Condi Rice ;)

olevetonahill
9/18/2008, 06:55 PM
Id vote for either Of em Over who we Have running Now On either side .

Curly Bill
9/18/2008, 06:57 PM
Id vote for either Of em Over who we Have running Now On either side .

I'm not going that far, I'd vote for McCain over either of them, but I could vote for Powell depending on his stance on the issues.

SCOUT
9/18/2008, 07:04 PM
I can think Of 2 :D
Colin Powell or Condi Rice ;)

I would add JC Watts.

StoopTroup
9/18/2008, 07:15 PM
I'd vote fer Jesse.

Why isn't he giving it another shot. :D

http://cmunki.net/v-web/gallery/albums/junkdrawer/jesse_jackson_mug_shrunk.jpg

soonerscuba
9/18/2008, 07:18 PM
Heh. When I learn to divine a Presidential result from 10 month old primary data, I'm going elite sponsor status.

It's Newsmax, it mental masturbation for conservatives (kinda, it's really not even that smart of commentary), plus Kessler is a confirmed liar regarding Obama, that is when he takes time off from his upcoming book about the quiet courage of the Bush family dog.

Saying that AZ, MO, NC, MI and MN are battlegrounds is a mighty big assumption as to the abilities of both candidates.

Rogue
9/18/2008, 08:08 PM
I think race is a factor in the privacy of the booth too.
Don't know if it's 10% or not.

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:28 PM
polls are a joke. the true error rate minus any intentional influencing that many of them do is probably closer to 30% on them.

lexsooner
9/18/2008, 08:46 PM
This thread is based upon mere wishful thinking by McCain supporters. The problem with the theory is, first of all, it comes from a not-so credible journalist who writes for a not-so credible publication. Second, the facts show Obama ran on average three percentage points better during the primary elections, compared with the respective state polls. The guy did win many primaries and defeat a strong favorite for the nomination. Finally, there are way too many variables involved in this race - the impact of Indys like Nader; the possible underrepresentation of younger, Democratic voters in these polls. Obama's powerful grass roots campaigns have signed up hundreds of thousands of young Democrats in key swing states, which some national polls have not factored in when conducting their polls. Reading up on this subject, it is clear there might be a reverse Bradley effect, where some voters select Obama to prove to themselves they are not racist.

Scott D
9/18/2008, 08:49 PM
I'd say there is a 10% error rate for people who want to appear to be pc. There is another 10% error rate for people who are smartasses. And there's a 10% error rate who just give an answer to get these poll takers to go away.

tbl
9/18/2008, 10:51 PM
I remember hearing about this phenomena quite a while back but had forgotten it. Thanks for posting.

Man, the dems should have owned this election. Weird...

I think if they had nominated Hillary they would have... but I guess they didn't really want it this time around.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 06:25 AM
She just didn't want it bad enough.

If she had wanted it just a bit more....