PDA

View Full Version : Article on Fox Sports

SoonerinSouthlake
9/18/2008, 07:46 AM
Question of the Week: Who's No. 2?by CollegeFootballNews.com

Updated: September 17, 2008, 7:47 PM EST 167 comments add this RSS blog email Print Q: Who's No. 2, and if it's USC, who's No. 1?

Pete Fiutak

College football roundup

Week 3's Top 25 action
1 USC 35, 5 Ohio State 3
2 Georgia 14, S. Car. 7
3 Oklahoma 55, Wash. 14
6 Mizzou 69, Nevada 17
7 LSU 41, North Texas 3
Arkansas at 8 Texas, postponed
9 Auburn 3, Miss. St. 2
10 Wis. 13, 21 Fresno St. 10
11 Alabama 41, West. Ky. 7
12 TTU 43, S. Methodist 7
19 USF 37, 13 Kansas 34
14 East Carolina 28, Tulane 24
UNLV 23, 15 Arizona St. 20 (OT)
16 Oregon 32, Purdue 26 (2OT)
17 Penn St. 55, Syracuse 13
18 BYU 59, UCLA 0
22 Utah 58, Utah St. 10
Maryland 35, 23 Cal 27
24 Illinois 20, La.-Lafayette 17
Notre Dame 35, Michigan 17

More on CFB:
Fearless Predictions: Ohio St.-USC
Martin: Watch out for Big 12
Horne: Top 10 obnoxious fan bases
Power Rankings: Ohio St. still No. 1
Photo gallery:
Week 3's best shots

If everyone's playing at the peak of their capabilities and they're all on a neutral field, I might take Oklahoma over USC, though right now the Trojans have to be No. 1. I have a gut feeling that Florida might end up winning the whole ball of wax. But today, I'd still put the Gators third behind USC and OU, and I'd have Georgia fourth.

On a wait-and-see note for the No. 2 slot, and this is for down the line, I want to see a bit more out of Wisconsin. At some point, the defense will finally be healthy, and, with the offensive line playing well, I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Badgers had the type of team that could beat a USC or Oklahoma by going smashmouth. Remember, Wisconsin has been solid against the SEC in bowl games, and the 2008 team is better than the ones that played well the last two bowl seasons against Tennessee and Arkansas.

I wouldn't put UW at No. 2 right now, but ask me again in a few weeks, if the quarterback play improves.

Richard Cirminiello
USC owns the best win of any school through three weeks, so they get the top spot without much debate. The only school with an argument for the Trojans' pole position is Oklahoma, which has scored at least 50 points in all three of its victories and is currently playing as well as any program in the country. Naturally, there's a lot of time left in the season, but the Sooner offense looks unstoppable and QB Sam Bradford is playing as if he's planning on being the second sophomore in two years to win the Heisman Trophy. We'll know more when the schedule brings games with Texas, Kansas, and Texas Tech, but laying 52 on a pretty good Cincinnati defense and beating Washington by 41 on the road is the start of a solid brag sheet. Yes, size, as in margin of victory, does matter.

If your ballot has anyone other than USC and Oklahoma in the top two slots, respectively, you're probably being a contrarian just for the sake of being different. Georgia's 14-7 win over a mediocre South Carolina team was too close for comfort. Ditto Florida's unimpressive win over Miami. Missouri? Now you're getting warmer. The Tigers have a win over No. 23 Illinois and have been as explosive as Oklahoma in their three wins. Mizzou is a close No. 3. Very close.

Matthew Zemek
Who's No. 2? This early in the season, it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say Oklahoma. But if Georgia goes to suburban Phoenix (a place where the Sooners recently haven't fared very well, even if they were playing in Glendale and not in Tempe) and rocks Arizona State this Saturday, that opinion would change in a hurry.

All in all, nobody should get too worked up about this particular debate at this point in time. That's the No. 1 thing to remember about the No. 2 team in college football.

Steve Silverman
USC is definitely No. 1. This may be the best of the great USC teams under Pete Carroll, and that's saying something. Whereas Carroll's previous teams had dominant offenses but merely good-enough defenses, the 2008 Trojan defense can set the tone. Now both sides look absolutely awesome and probably will for the rest of the season, barring any catastrophic injuries.

Oklahoma is the No. 2 team in the country. With all due respect to Georgia, the Sooners are an offensive monster. It all starts with triggerman Sam Bradford, who throws a beautiful pass, gets it away quickly and is deadly accurate. Bob Stoops senses he has a team that can go all the way, and he coaches only one way: full out. The Sooners will make it to the national championship game or die trying. I think they'll make it.

CK Sooner
9/18/2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks, SPEK. :D

OUmillenium
9/18/2008, 09:08 AM
Nice article, thanks bro

Leroy Lizard
9/18/2008, 09:26 AM
deleted

sooner n houston
9/18/2008, 01:10 PM
Oh yea!!!

boomermagic
9/18/2008, 03:21 PM
Very good,

thanks..

stoopified
9/18/2008, 03:38 PM
I don't get this 2008 Trjans Could be Peteys best.They beat a a meiocre Virginia team (that was also drilled by UConn) and an overratted TOSU team that was undermanned without Beanie.I'm not saing that USC isn't good simply that after only 3 games its a little early to enshrine them as Petey's best.