PDA

View Full Version : AD - He may survive the season now.

astro5169
9/17/2008, 12:56 PM
Updated: September 17, 2008, 1:41 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Minnesota Vikings, with an 0-2 start to the season, are turning to veteran Gus Frerotte to bring them out of the hole.

Frerotte

No coach had more faith in his quarterback than coach Brad Childress had in Tarvaris Jackson, who has had 14 career starts. But Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season, announcing the decision at his Wednesday media availability.

Jackson was 8-4 as a starter last season, even though he completed only 58.2 percent of his passes and had a 70.8 quarterback rating.

This season started even slower for Jackson. He completed only 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards in two games, in an offense that is ranked 24th in the league in passing despite a strong running game from Adrian Peterson.

Jackson has been playing with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee, an injury that forced him at times to wear a brace. Vikings fans booed him throughout Sunday's 18-15 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when the Vikings, despite a 160-yard rushing day by Peterson, had to settle for five field goals.

With a tough home game coming up against the Carolina Panthers, Childress decided to go with the strong-armed Frerotte. The 37-year-old Frerotte is in his 15th season, and spent the past two seasons as a backup in St. Louis.

Frerotte has been with seven teams, but this is his second tour with the Vikings, having spent 2004 and 2005 in Minnesota.

Frerotte has completed 54.2 percent of his passes during his career for 19,134 yards and a 74.3 quarterback rating. He's 37-44-1 as a starter.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

CK Sooner
9/17/2008, 01:18 PM
Let's hope he can make something happen with there passing game.

Thanks for posting this.

Widescreen
9/17/2008, 01:23 PM
I'll never forgive Frerotte for throwing enough pick-6's against OSU that allowed OSU to beat TU, even though TU dominated the game. I was at pre-Boone Pickens Stadium that day. :mad:

shaun4411
9/17/2008, 01:30 PM
Updated: September 17, 2008, 1:41 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Minnesota Vikings, with an 0-2 start to the season, are turning to veteran Gus Frerotte to bring them out of the hole.

Frerotte

No coach had more faith in his quarterback than coach Brad Childress had in Tarvaris Jackson, who has had 14 career starts. But Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season, announcing the decision at his Wednesday media availability.

Jackson was 8-4 as a starter last season, even though he completed only 58.2 percent of his passes and had a 70.8 quarterback rating.

This season started even slower for Jackson. He completed only 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards in two games, in an offense that is ranked 24th in the league in passing despite a strong running game from Adrian Peterson.

Jackson has been playing with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee, an injury that forced him at times to wear a brace. Vikings fans booed him throughout Sunday's 18-15 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when the Vikings, despite a 160-yard rushing day by Peterson, had to settle for five field goals.

With a tough home game coming up against the Carolina Panthers, Childress decided to go with the strong-armed Frerotte. The 37-year-old Frerotte is in his 15th season, and spent the past two seasons as a backup in St. Louis.

Frerotte has been with seven teams, but this is his second tour with the Vikings, having spent 2004 and 2005 in Minnesota.

Frerotte has completed 54.2 percent of his passes during his career for 19,134 yards and a 74.3 quarterback rating. He's 37-44-1 as a starter.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

minnesota should trade for Alex Smith on the 49ers.

badger
9/17/2008, 02:00 PM
Drat - another loss in the Metrodome later this season :mad:

:) Well, at least we're two games ahead of them now for the NFC North title!

ousooners182
9/17/2008, 02:01 PM
god lets hope he can do something..

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 02:03 PM
minnesota should trade for Alex Smith on the 49ers.

:confused:

Out-for-the-season Alex Smith?

I suppose that might be just as good as TJ has done...

badger
9/17/2008, 02:04 PM
god lets hope he can do something..

If by "he" you mean AD, he's being doing a lot already with a crappy QB!

If by "he" you mean new guy veteran QB, if he does ANYTHING he will already be better than Tarvaris (was his momma misspelling Travis in the hospital???)

astro5169
9/17/2008, 02:13 PM
I really hate USUC - But with Leinert being number 2 is he a good canidate? 2 years from now after Bradfords second heisman and 2 nd national championship - Minnesota selects Sammie #1. Sinc3e they will suck at best in 2 years without solving the QB question.....

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 02:17 PM
I really hate USUC - But with Leinert being number 2 is he a good canidate? 2 years from now after Bradfords second heisman and 2 nd national championship - Minnesota selects Sammie #1. Sinc3e they will suck at best in 2 years without solving the QB question.....

They already got JDB.

OUMallen
9/17/2008, 02:22 PM
Go with Frerotte for now and really focus on bringing up JDB. I never thought JDB was all that great, but who knows?

badger
9/17/2008, 02:23 PM

No way, no how. We do NOT need another Sooner stuck in that waste hole that is the Humphrey Metrodome. You think Phoenix or Detroit is where good college players go to die career-wise? Minnesota had the best tandem of receivers out there and struck fear into defenses (including GB's) for years, only to let it all go down the crapper.

Places where Sooners may NOT get drafted include...

1. Phoenix. First and foremost. Too many awful coaches and management difficulties with too much formerly respected talent to wish that place upon any of OUr guys.

2. Detroit. Is only No. 2 because it's where our Heisman guys were. So for tradition's sake, it is better than Phoenix. In every other respect, it's very bad.

3. Minnesota. Hey, let's misuse our talent! Oh! And then not pay to get quality support for the talent! Now, let's run our talent into the ground until they demand a trade. Yayyyyy!

4. St. Louis. It wasn't always this bad, but not it is just horrendous. Steer clear. Threaten to take up underground basket weaving if they offer to draft you.

5. Atlanta. How soon until another coach bails on them? Very soon.

So anyways, Sam needs to go to someplace like Green Bay in order to avoid a career downturn.

astro5169
9/17/2008, 02:23 PM
But, JDB is a backup at best. Always will be.

Whom do we need.... We need a hero. Someone to show up and take this team to a 15-2 record. To help AD gain his first of 5 - 2500 yard seasons. Before he breaks all the records and is exhalted king of the NFL.

OUMallen
9/17/2008, 02:26 PM
But, JDB is a backup at best. Always will be.

I kinda feel that way as well...Chris Simms?

Jeez, why do I have to ask for condoms and whorns to help out AD??!?!?! :mad: :mad:

astro5169
9/17/2008, 02:36 PM
I was thinking of Chrissy as well..... How about Paul Thompson? He made Peterson look good before.... He might even be pretty cheap.

Michael Vick? He should be gettin out of prison soon. AD -can work around inmates.....

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 02:39 PM
Jeff Garcia seems to show up places and lead them to the playoffs, time after time. Might be a good temp while they work on getting a future.

Does anyone think Sam goes early?

astro5169
9/17/2008, 02:40 PM
Depends how we finish next two years....

Look what it did for suicidal Young. Great National Champ makes a number 1 pick....

tommieharris91
9/17/2008, 03:05 PM
No way, no how. We do NOT need another Sooner stuck in that waste hole that is the Humphrey Metrodome. You think Phoenix or Detroit is where good college players go to die career-wise? Minnesota had the best tandem of receivers out there and struck fear into defenses (including GB's) for years, only to let it all go down the crapper.

Places where Sooners may NOT get drafted include...

1. Phoenix. First and foremost. Too many awful coaches and management difficulties with too much formerly respected talent to wish that place upon any of OUr guys.

2. Detroit. Is only No. 2 because it's where our Heisman guys were. So for tradition's sake, it is better than Phoenix. In every other respect, it's very bad.

3. Minnesota. Hey, let's misuse our talent! Oh! And then not pay to get quality support for the talent! Now, let's run our talent into the ground until they demand a trade. Yayyyyy!

4. St. Louis. It wasn't always this bad, but not it is just horrendous. Steer clear. Threaten to take up underground basket weaving if they offer to draft you.

5. Atlanta. How soon until another coach bails on them? Very soon.

So anyways, Sam needs to go to someplace like Green Bay in order to avoid a career downturn.

Chicago could really use a QB like Sam. Heck, Chicago could use a whole buncha WRs too..

:pop:

tommieharris91
9/17/2008, 03:09 PM
Depends how we finish next two years....

Look what it did for suicidal Young. Great National Champ makes a number 1 pick....

Uncle Rico was #3 overall.

badger
9/17/2008, 03:41 PM
Chicago could really use a QB like Sam. Heck, Chicago could use a whole buncha WRs too..

:pop:

Oh dear, did I forget to list Chicago as a place that Sooners are NOT allowed to get drafted to? My bad :D

Nah, I keed (but really, the other NFC North teams do not need to keep taking away Sooner talent and fans from the Packers, grrrrrrr), Chicago is a great place... for defense players. Offensive dudes would probably be better suited elsewhere, but at least they aren't career killers like some of the potential franchise players out there.

stoopified
9/17/2008, 03:48 PM
I wish Gus was ten years younger.Don't get me wrong I DO think Gus is a step up BUT he is a journeyman NFL qb on the backside of his career.

swardboy
9/17/2008, 03:50 PM
But Badger, wouldn't you agree that Minnesota is basically just one player away from being a really good team? I think the qb position is the only one they've abused from what I hear.

A good qb there would make a greater AD

tommieharris91
9/17/2008, 03:53 PM
But Badger, wouldn't you agree that Minnesota is basically just one player away from being a really good team? I think the qb position is the only one they've abused from what I hear.

I think if you put Kyle Orton on the Viqueens they're allovasudden a playoff team. Yea, I can probably throw farther than him, but he always makes the safe, short passes. On a team with a good defense and a great RB, that's all you need the QB to do.

shaun4411
9/17/2008, 03:55 PM
I wish Gus was ten years younger.Don't get me wrong I DO think Gus is a step up BUT he is a journeyman NFL qb on the backside of his career.

hmph, i thought he was 50 yrs old and retired by now. the vikes might as well give jeff george a tryout, or try to get culpepper back!

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2008, 06:21 PM
Anything is better than Tarvaris; i don't think i've ever seen a worse QB since i've been watching the NFL

badger
9/17/2008, 06:29 PM

Yeaaaaaah, the Minnesota Vikings (and every other team) is a healthy Peyton Manning away from being a good team :rolleyes:

I hope we all understand now why the Packers were so desperate to not let Minny have Favre. You can make the case that they are only one or two players away from being less-than-terrible, but overall, they are still the team that you do NOT want to end up at, unless your other options are Arizona and Detroit.

OU-HSV
9/17/2008, 07:24 PM
It's about time Jackson got benched. Now maybe they can win some games.
Hope they start trying to bring in some more QBs too

bluedogok
9/17/2008, 07:31 PM
Does Favre go to Minnesota after this season?

badger
9/17/2008, 07:50 PM
Does Favre go to Minnesota after this season?

The Jets will have to give up four first round picks if they trade Favre to Vikings - it was part of the contract to get Favre from the Packers. Like I said, Green Bay REALLY doesn't want to see Brett in Minnesota.

bluedogok
9/17/2008, 07:56 PM
I knew there was something in the trade about that this season, I just didn't know if it held over to next season.

SoonerTroll
9/17/2008, 08:05 PM
All minnesota needed was someone who could make some slant and hitch throws to get people out of the box. I don't think childress is going to be asking him to wil games just not lose them. If they can get in the red zone 5 times a game and come away with touchdowns 2/3 out of 5 times the vikes will be a force. However, if this backfires, childress is most likely gone because this is the first sign of a coach on the "hot seat". What do you think the chances of Bill Cowher in 09 are?

astro5169
9/17/2008, 10:57 PM
Player News (last updated: September 17, 2008)
News: Peterson was limited at practice on Wednesday due to a sore hamstring, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports.
Spin: He hurt the hamstring late in Sunday's loss to the Colts, but it's not thought to be serious. Still, check his progress this week.

From ESPN REPORTS....

fREAKIN INJURIES:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Leroy Lizard
9/17/2008, 10:58 PM
It all comes down to QB. A team can have a great RB and not go anywhere. You have to have a good QB. Look at what happened to Dallas once Troy started pouting.