PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite John Cougar Mellencamp song?

royalfan5
9/17/2008, 11:19 AM
For me it would be 1)Rain on the Scarecrow, 2) Authority Song 3) Paper in Fire, and 4) Check it out.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2008, 11:25 AM
A Little Ditty about Jack and Diane.

Viking Kitten
9/17/2008, 11:27 AM
Heck, the entire Scarecrow album was good. Reminds me a little too much of ninth grade, which was a crappy year for me, but I still really like a lot of those songs. "Jack and Diane" is a sentimental favorite, "I Need a Lover," I always liked "Wild Night" a lot too.

frankensooner
9/17/2008, 11:28 AM
Hurt so good

47straight
9/17/2008, 11:31 AM
Little Pink Houses

Is it wrong that I cannot stand Jack and Diane?

frankensooner
9/17/2008, 11:31 AM
Yes

Viking Kitten
9/17/2008, 11:35 AM
Another Czar brush with greatness story: He grew up in a small town. It just happens to the small town neigboring JCM's home town of Seymour, Indiana, and Czar's friend's mom dated JCM in high school.

For those keeping score at home, this joins 1) Czar's mom graduated high school with Bill Clinton, 2) Czar's best kindergarten friend was Vince Vaughn, 3) Czar sang with Survivor at Yucatan Liquor Stand, 4) Czar sold lumber to Garth Brooks.

Am I missing any? :D

frankensooner
9/17/2008, 11:37 AM
I remember one of his Farks being on Sports Center. You done well for a gal from NW OK! ;)

proud gonzo
Little Pink Houses

Is it wrong that I cannot stand Jack and Diane?same here. If it comes on the radio, i change stations. I do that with pretty much any JCM song, but especially that one.

Frozen Sooner
Little Pink Houses

Yes

Yes

batonrougesooner
9/17/2008, 01:20 PM
Pink Houses

Taxman71
9/17/2008, 01:27 PM
1. Cherry Bomb
2. Paper In Fire
3. Small Town

OUDoc
9/17/2008, 01:36 PM
I thought Mellencamp was only putting out albums so I could mock him. People like him? ;)

shaun4411
9/17/2008, 01:58 PM
what's john cougar mellencamp?

:::Joke:::

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2008, 01:59 PM
John Cougar
John Mellencamp
Cougar John....what does he go by these days?

C&CDean
9/17/2008, 02:28 PM
John Mellencamp kinda falls in the same category as Tom Petty does for me. I'll listen sometimes, but I'd never buy the ****. Pretty much the whole scratchy voice, every song sounds the same, etc. keeps me from digging it much. It's the same reason I never got into the whole grunge movement. The need to have the gravelly/scratchy voice just doesn't do it for me. Unless you're Tom Waits.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 02:31 PM
John Mellencamp kinda falls in the same category as Tom Petty does for me. I'll listen sometimes, but I'd never buy the ****. Pretty much the whole scratchy voice, every song sounds the same, etc. keeps me from digging it much. It's the same reason I never got into the whole grunge movement. The need to have the gravelly/scratchy voice just doesn't do it for me. Unless you're Tom Waits.

Or Batman?

Taxman71
If John Mellencamp was a woman, would he be a cougar?

His wife probably is by now.

As for gravelly/scratchy voices, I would throw in Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin....though those two would have had one fugly kid.

Tulsa_Fireman
I thought Mellencamp was only putting out albums so I could mock him. People like him? ;)

Amen.

My favorite Cougjohn Mellencougar Camp song is the one that comes on teh radio right before I change the station. He's as big a heauxmeaux as I've seen.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 02:34 PM
If John Mellencamp was a woman, would he be a cougar?

His wife probably is by now.

As for gravelly/scratchy voices, I would throw in Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin....though those two would have had one fugly kid.

Jonis Cocklin?

Janoe Cocknis?

Taxman71
9/17/2008, 02:34 PM
The worse thing I can say about Mellencamp is how he ripped Bob Seger a new one for letting Chevy bastardize Like A Rock for years..................then lets them do the same thing with his new single a year or two ago. I guess he needed the money.

C&CDean
9/17/2008, 02:35 PM

Whoa now. Janis Joplin could ****ing wail. And you can't really knock Cocker, I mean after all, dude is handicapped. Ugly kid? Oh hell yes. But I bet the little **** could knock rust off the pipes with his voice.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2008, 02:36 PM
and do some weird crap with its hands

Taxman71
9/17/2008, 02:46 PM
Don't forget, Janis could have taken out Jimmy Johnson's knees way back when they were in high school together and we never would have had to deal with Miami in 1988 or the Dallas Cowboys run in the early 1990's. She could definitely wail though.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/17/2008, 03:13 PM
John Mellencamp kinda falls in the same category as Tom Petty does for me. I'll listen sometimes, but I'd never buy the ****. Pretty much the whole scratchy voice, every song sounds the same, etc. keeps me from digging it much. It's the same reason I never got into the whole grunge movement. The need to have the gravelly/scratchy voice just doesn't do it for me. Unless you're Tom Waits.Dittos, except the tom Waits part. The radio stations oughta play maybe Jack and Diane every year or so, just to remind us that John Cougar and Tom Petty ever existed.

Beef
9/17/2008, 03:19 PM
Got a tow from a guy named Joe
Cost sixty dollars hope I don't run out of dough
Told me bout a sex offense 'put him three days in jail
Stuck in Indianapolis, hope I live to tell the tale

[Chorus]
Can't go west, can't go east
I'm stuck in Indianapolis with a fuel pump that's deceased
Ten days on the road now I'm four hours from my home town
Is this hell or Indianapolis with no way to get around

Called my girl to tell her of the trouble that I'd had
First time I called her in ten days, guess that made her mad
Far as she's concerned I belong in this Hoosier state
Stuck in Indianapolis with no way to set things straight

[Chorus]

Sitting in this bar is getting more than I can stand
If I could catch a ride I really think I'd ditch this van
Who knows what this repair will cost, scared to spend a dime
I'll puke if that jukebox plays John Cougar one more time

If I ever leave here I hope never to return
If I get that van back, Man, the road I'm gonna burn
Right now my future's in the hand of them boys down at Firestone
Stuck in Indianapolis feeling all alone

[Chorus]
Is this hell or Indianapolis with no way to get around

CatfishSooner
9/17/2008, 03:19 PM
jack and diane ....hands down

Czar Soonerov
9/18/2008, 10:10 AM
"I Need A Lover"

Some girl that knows the meaning of ah-
Hey hit the highway!

VeeJay
9/18/2008, 08:50 PM
Check It Out
Rooty Toot Toot

Little Pink Houses ("...and vacation down at the Gulf o Mex-ee-KO!")

AllAboutThe'O'
9/18/2008, 10:39 PM
"Ain't Even Done With the Night." when he was John Cougar

"Lonely 'Ol Night" when he was J.C. Mellencamp.

"I Saw You First" when he was J. Mellencamp.

tbl
9/18/2008, 10:48 PM
"Walls" is probably tops for me... It's probably his toughest sounding song and he says "I'm a real good dancer" in it. Classic...

What's great about Johnny Cougar is he knows its not cool to like his music. It never has been, yet its pretty hard not to like it.

Cherry Bomb
Pop Singer
Hurt so good
Pink Houses
Scarecrow
Lonely old night

royalfan5
9/18/2008, 10:53 PM
Chuck Klosterman has a bit in one of his books about how it is pretty much impossible to be from the rural Midwest and not like Mellencamp. I think that's pretty true. Also, I find it hilarious that GM used Our Country for Canada with Canuck specific imagery, but USA centric lyrics.

Curly Bill
9/18/2008, 10:53 PM
Little Pink Houses

Agreed on both accounts.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/19/2008, 10:29 AM
1. Check It Out
2. Paper and Fire
3. The rest of his catalog...Awesome concert to btw.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/19/2008, 10:30 AM
"I Need A Lover"

Some girl that knows the meaning of ah-
Hey hit the highway!

Great song too, but totally ruined when Pat Benetar covered it!! :mad: