PDA

View Full Version : Weaving-through-traffic motorcycle guy

8timechamps
9/17/2008, 09:43 AM
We’ve all see the “crotch rocket guy”. You know the one that weaves through traffic coming dangerously close to hitting someone. Well, this morning, while taking my youngest to school, a guy goes weaving through heavy traffic on a main road. About 10 minutes later, traffic comes to a standstill.

As we slowly make it through, I see that there are folks pulling over to the side of the road and getting out of there car. As we come upon “the scene”, I see the bike laying on it’s side in the middle of the street. About 50 yards ahead is the driver, laying face down…not moving.

The front wheel of the bike is almost unrecognizable. The car that he apparently hit is pulled to the side with almost no damage to the right rear quarter panel. About the time we were passing the bike, a fire truck was pulling up.

It was apparent that the driver was severely injured (at least). My son was speechless. I would never want anyone to end up in that situation, but I couldn’t help but think “it serves you right”. Of course I didn’t say it out loud, but I talked to my son about the dangers of reckless driving.

I pray that the driver only suffered injuries and wasn’t dead.

I rode a bike for many years, and even as a younger man I didn’t act like a moron. If you are guilty of weaving through traffic, then take this as a warning.

Hot Rod
9/17/2008, 09:56 AM
I saw a guy doing this on the way home from work one day as well. He was going along the actual dashed line mark between cars and trucks. One driver caught his attention and then he decided to get in front and slow down to agitate the driver. I saw another driver throw something at him, showing his disgust. But yeah, I thought the same thing, if you crash you deserve it and maybe that will teach you a lesson on how to properly ride a motorcycle.

In this situation that you shared, I don't wish death upon this rider, but when will these morans get the hint and realize that just because they ride a smaller vehicle, doesn't give them the right to weave through traffic, making everyone extra cautious of how they are driving.

frankensooner
9/17/2008, 10:02 AM
Everytime I drive through Houston, about five of those guys almost clip me. I haven't really noticed it much here, of course traffic in the OKC is nothing compared to Dallas, Houston or other larger cities.

Veritas
9/17/2008, 10:17 AM
I rode a sportbike for many years and never pulled that ****. I see these douchnozzles riding around in a tanktop, flipflops, and the latest $700 Arai and hope that when they wad up it won't hold me up in traffic.

(Not that there is any traffic in Lincoln).

bri
9/17/2008, 10:26 AM
I see "that guy" quite a bit. After I flip him off, I always spend the next few minutes repeating "pleasegethitpleasegethitpleasegethit" under my breath.

Unless a good song is on the radio. Then I usually just sing along with that. But I still want the ********* to get crippled. Then I only have to worry about him weaving his Rascal scooter in and out of the carts at Reasor's.

Frozen Sooner
9/17/2008, 10:34 AM
Lanesplitting is legal in a lot of places. Just saying. Still not an excuse to ride like an idiot, though.

Hot Rod
9/17/2008, 10:44 AM
Lanesplitting is legal in a lot of places. Just saying. Still not an excuse to ride like an idiot, though.

I could see where it could be tolerated, especially where traffic may be going slower. On the other hand, when the flow of traffic is doing 70 and one of those guys slips by and someone wants to change lanes, they start to changes lanes and then cannot because these idiots are doing 80 or more.

OUMallen
9/17/2008, 10:49 AM
I don't feel bad wishing injuries on them since they are putting EVERYONE at risk with such jackassery.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 11:00 AM
I saw a guy doing this on the way home from work one day as well. He was going along the actual dashed line mark between cars and trucks.

Welcome to California.

Actually the law there allows MCs to split lane IN STOPPED TRAFFIC AT A LIGHTED INTERSECTION. Most of the MC drivers read that to mean anytime traffic is stopped, especially along a highway.

Most Cali drivers are used to the chicken-games with their rear view side windows, but I have always been amazed more MCs aren't taken out with lane changes...

Me and my scoot? I just wait like everyone else...

8timechamps
9/17/2008, 02:44 PM
Lanesplitting is legal in a lot of places.

Not that kind of lanesplitting froz! :eek:

olevetonahill
9/17/2008, 02:58 PM
coming home from the Game wheer AD broke his collar Bone there 4 of em doing that shat ,
sure enough we Top a small hill and 3 Of em are sliding around and all ****ed up .
Seems One of em Cut to close to another one of and caused a hellashes wreck .

Taxman71
9/17/2008, 02:59 PM
TTIWWOP

No, not really.

Chuck Bao
9/17/2008, 03:05 PM
You selfish road hog car drivers, get a grip. You're just jealous that the bike drivers are getting through the traffic.

My own personal rule is to drive faster than the pinheads trying to talk on their cellular phone while driving.

Now, please don't be so stupid. Get off the phone. Even if you have a handless device, just how important is that conversation? Bitch, bitch when get to the office or get back home.

If you are planning to change lanes, please use a signal.

Never think it is cool to straddle two lanes because you can't make up your mind which one may turn out as faster.

And for the record, I do the fast pace overtaking on commuters during weekdays. I do not dare do that on weekends, when the less experienced drivers are on the road.

Big Red Ron
9/17/2008, 03:11 PM
The stuff those dude's do in Los Angeles would get them intentionally clipped in OKC. just sayin...

SoonerInKCMO
9/17/2008, 03:18 PM
You selfish road hog car drivers, get a grip. You're just jealous that the bike drivers are getting through the traffic.

It's a completely different driving culture where you are. Different rules, different vehicle mix, different driving styles - what works where you are won't necessarily work here.

Lott's Bandana
9/17/2008, 03:30 PM
It's a completely different driving culture where you are. Different rules, different vehicle mix, different driving styles - what works where you are won't necessarily work here.

Ain't that the truth.

What I thought was chaos in Taipei was really a carefully orchestrated ballet. Srsly, when I hopped on a scooter and rode around for a few hundred miles, I figured it out. Now, I actually understand and LIKE the way they drive over there...

two lane changes, cut-you-offs, turning from wrong lane...all of it is done deliberately and slowly so you have time to swerve out of the way and move on. Bottom line in Asia: nothing personal buddy.

Here, if you put your blinker on in traffic, people speed up to fill the hole you are trying to fit in...

Chuck Bao
9/17/2008, 03:39 PM
Nevertheless, I still want to drive my Harley to the Wister Mountain Resort in December. 70mph is already enough for me.

Anyone else for a bike gang ride?

jkjsooner
9/17/2008, 03:50 PM
The thing is, those crotch rocket guys doing 100+ are expecting every other driver to behave exactly as they think they are going to behave. When they weave between two cars they expect both to continue their exact speed. If the front car slows down slightly or the back one speeds up slightly - SPLAT!

It's just plain stupid. I have sympathy for their families but my main concern is that one of their bikes might turn into a missile.

royalfan5
9/17/2008, 03:52 PM
I rode a sportbike for many years and never pulled that ****. I see these douchnozzles riding around in a tanktop, flipflops, and the latest $700 Arai and hope that when they wad up it won't hold me up in traffic.

I always wanted to see one of those guys get carried away and nail the cement outcropping at 27th and HWY 2 northbound. I really hated living at that intersection.

jkjsooner
9/17/2008, 03:55 PM
deleted the message after determining I was wrong

jkjsooner
9/17/2008, 03:59 PM

Exactly. In some countries lanes mean almost nothing. That's fine if you're in that country but when you're here you (using "you" in general not a specific poster) follow our rules and ways of driving.

The funny thing is I've had Indians claim that Americans can't drive because we stay in our lanes and follow most of the rules. Then I've had Dutch or Germans say we can't drive because we don't follow every rules in the strictest of senses.

StoopTroup
9/17/2008, 04:59 PM
I've noticed the difference when I wear a helmet...some folks tailgate me as opposed to when I'm not wearing one...they back off.

I'm with Chuck though...

If you look like your not paying attention while driving your 4000 to 8000 lb vehicle...I'm just trying to get the heck away from you so you can hit some mother****er who's listening to a good song he just heard on the radio. :D

bri
9/17/2008, 08:04 PM
That's it, punk. I'm comin' for you, AND HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!!! :D

bluedogok
9/17/2008, 08:15 PM

We call them ******rockets down here and they usually have their Arai strapped to the rear turn signal.

The first time I ever saw someone legally splitting was a few years ago in Sacramento, we were on I-5 heading out to a site and had a CHiP blow by my passenger window. We just aren't used to it here, no one seemed to have issue with him and the others that I saw doing it.

StoopTroup
9/17/2008, 09:20 PM
That's it, punk. I'm comin' for you, AND HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!!! :D

LMAO!

:D

SoonerInKCMO
9/19/2008, 11:16 AM
The funny thing is I've had Indians claim that Americans can't drive because we stay in our lanes and follow most of the rules. Then I've had Dutch or Germans say we can't drive because we don't follow every rules in the strictest of senses.

There's a good chapter in the book Traffic (http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307264785/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221840846&sr=1-1) about how driving is so different in different cultures and what factors influence those differences. I read it a month or so ago and highly recommend it.

Sooner24
9/19/2008, 11:53 AM
I always call those people driving like that "future organ donors"

8timechamps
9/19/2008, 02:01 PM
The dude died.

It was in my local paper yesterday.

Dead on impact.

StoopTroup
9/19/2008, 05:44 PM
The dude died.

It was in my local paper yesterday.

Dead on impact.

At least he got to where he was going.

Seriously...today...I thought Bri was in every car.

I had to go lay down once I got Home.

RIP WTTMG :(

BigRedJed
9/19/2008, 06:41 PM
Is this the place, 8XC?

http://www.krextv.com/uploads/48056c22-b29b-9521.png

OUHOMER
9/19/2008, 07:55 PM
I ride a bike and hate to see these guys. Not afraid of anything. Not only did he kill himself, but the trauma he put the folks thru that he hit is unmeasurable. Plus his own family.

prayers for all.

8timechamps
9/19/2008, 08:23 PM
Is this the place, 8XC?

http://www.krextv.com/uploads/48056c22-b29b-9521.png

No. I live in Denver, not sure where that is (maybe OKC?).

BigRedJed
9/20/2008, 11:36 AM
Nope. It was in Colorado. But after I looked a little closer, I found it was around Grand Junction.

LosAngelesSooner
9/20/2008, 01:49 PM
The stuff those dude's do in Los Angeles would get them intentionally clipped in OKC. just sayin...
Dude, you have serious "California" issues.

StoopTroup
9/21/2008, 09:05 AM
Nope. It was in Colorado. But after I looked a little closer, I found it was around Grand Junction.

Fricken Colorado guys are worse than those LA folks too. :D ;)

8timechamps
9/21/2008, 08:05 PM
Fricken Colorado guys are worse than those LA folks too. :D ;)

Never lived in L.A., but I may agree with you.

I rode for years with the same group. We always went into the mountains on Sunday afternoons, and nobody ever did anything that stupid.

Cam
9/21/2008, 08:51 PM
When we lived in Phoenix, we would get passed on Hwy 60 by crotch rocket idiots all the time. They would lay on their gas tank and put their hands behind their back and weave in and out of traffic doing about 75-80mph. I kept waiting for one of them to hit a patch of sand or gravel and lose the rearend. No way in the world they would've been able to save the bike or themselves.

KC//CRIMSON
9/21/2008, 09:01 PM
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/1accident170.jpg

This guy?

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 09:05 PM
http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/1accident170.jpg

This guy?My God! That's so messed up.

olevetonahill
9/21/2008, 09:07 PM
My God! That's so messed up.

That Bike is Kinda beyond repair aint it ?

Big Red Ron
9/21/2008, 09:08 PM
Dude, you have serious "California" issues.I'm not sure what you're talking about. I grew up there. You live there and know exactly what I'm talking about. Why you feel the need to follow me around and post a reply to my every post, I have no idea.

bluedogok
9/21/2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, if you're stupid you can die in or on anything. I remember a semi driver going off the bridge at I-44 & Grand Blvd. because he fell asleep. Stupidity can kill no matter what you are doing. I know many of us are lucky to have survived some of the stupid things we did when we were younger.

The guy driving this Lotus Elise hit a pickup at 100+ about a half mile from one of my projects.

eBaum's World Forum/Cars - PICS..100 MPH+ Lotus Elise Accident in Austin (http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=199669)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/mm2556/04_26_07_Pin_In_005.jpg

LosAngelesSooner
9/22/2008, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I grew up there. You live there and know exactly what I'm talking about. Why you feel the need to follow me around and post a reply to my every post, I have no idea.Clearly I don't.

And based on what you just said, clearly you do. And now I know why.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 02:14 AM
Why dont you 2 Get a room ? Or a cage .:rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
9/22/2008, 02:19 AM
Why dont you 2 Get a room ? Or a cage .:rolleyes:Yer duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrdeeeeeeee.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 02:41 AM
Yer duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrdeeeeeeee.

That the best you can do as a Cal. Lib , Repub ?
Bro Im impressed.:rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
9/22/2008, 03:04 AM
Me callin' you dirty?

That's not supposed to be impressive...just true.

olevetonahill
9/22/2008, 04:50 AM
Me callin' you dirty?

That's not supposed to be impressive...just true.

Hell Boy if ya gonna call me Names Get Nasty :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
9/22/2008, 05:29 AM
Wow.

Cars are dangerous too.

Who knew? :D ;)

8timechamps
9/22/2008, 09:43 AM
Wow.

Cars are dangerous too.

Who knew? :D ;)

Wait....so anything can be dangerous?