PDA

View Full Version : If Bi12,SEC,Pac-10 champs are perfect OU gets left out

stoopified
9/16/2008, 05:54 PM
or so say talking heads on College Football Live today.No BCS title game for OU because of OUr recent record in BCS games.I thought #1 and #2 in the BCS went to he title game regardless of past BCS performance?I know its early and the FIRST BCS poll hasn't even come out yet but I thought it was a slam at OU to make that blanket statement.

Personally I think the season will take care of itself.I just wish we would go to playoffs like EVERY OTHER NCAA sport and take voting out of the equation.I'm still not convinced the best two teams have EVER been picked since the BCS began.

My Opinion Matters
9/16/2008, 05:59 PM
or so say talking heads on College Football Live today.No BCS title game for OU because of OUr recent record in BCS games.I thought #1 and #2 in the BCS went to he title game regardless of past BCS performance?I know its early and the FIRST BCS poll hasn't even come out yet but I thought it was a slam at OU to make that blanket statement.

Personally I think the season will take care of itself.I just wish we would go to playoffs like EVERY OTHER NCAA sport and take voting out of the equation.I'm still not convinced the best two teams have EVER been picked since the BCS began.

I don't see anything upsetting about that statement. If USC and the SEC champion both go undefeated we will be left out. Of course that's probably not going to happen.

sooner518
9/16/2008, 06:03 PM
chances of us and those 2 all going undefeated is slim to none.

Statalyzer
9/16/2008, 06:04 PM
Whoever started the year ranked the lowest in preseason probably gets left out.

Big Red Ron
9/16/2008, 06:05 PM
The way the BCS works, if OU, USC and say FLA or UGA go undefeated, USC will get left out like 2003.

The Pac 10 sucks and will kill them in the BCS.

OUMallen
9/16/2008, 06:18 PM
The way the BCS works, if OU, USC and say FLA or UGA go undefeated, USC will get left out like 2003.

The Pac 10 sucks and will kill them in the BCS.

Did they add the SoS component back in? :confused:

Big Red Ron
9/16/2008, 06:26 PM
Did they add the SoS component back in? :confused:Well, the computers have it in their nd they're 1/3 of the formula. Also, the Harris poll supposedly is made up of unbiast experts. I can see OU being #1 in the Harris, USC #1 in the coaches and USC being 3 or 4th in the computers, if OU and an SEC team goes undefeted.

swardboy
9/16/2008, 06:29 PM
chances of us and those 2 all going undefeated is slim to none.

Yep, I'm betting someone's gonna take Vandy down.....

MojoRisen
9/16/2008, 06:51 PM
If Florida, Oklahoma and USC go undefeated again - something will be done the next year with a one plus game.

I would think the only fair thing to do would be to leave USC out because they have no championship game and the conference is very weak this year.

Can you imagine being left out going through our schedule undefeated - If I were Auburn I would have quit watching college football.

BASSooner
9/16/2008, 07:04 PM
If Florida, Oklahoma and USC go undefeated again - something will be done the next year with a one plus game.

I would think the only fair thing to do would be to leave USC out because they have no championship game and the conference is very weak this year.

Can you imagine being left out going through our schedule undefeated - If I were Auburn I would have quit watching college football.

It won't happen. The SEC will kill each other like they do every year. UGA, UF, Aub, LSU, and Bama are just going to slaughter each other. I'm not concerned about any SEC team going to the championship game at this point. It will be us vs USC

StormySooner-IN
9/16/2008, 07:20 PM
Again....lets take care of business first.

TCU....next.

The Maestro
9/16/2008, 09:09 PM

I saw that, too, and he may be right, but his logic was completely flawed. Saying because of our latest BCS performance is ridiculous...and is not a factor in this year.

Honestly, I could imagine USC getting left out. What if Ohio State fell to Wisconsin and Penn State? What if the Pac 10, well...was the Pac 10??? Their schedule will take a beating. Meanwhile, let's say OU beats Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, OSU and then a possible unbeaten Missouri. Same type of scenario for the SEC champ. No way in hell the SEC and Big 12 will have more to brag about and will have proven more.

Since computers get involved the Coaches poll won't be the end all, be all decision. It COULD happen, but likely will not...since teams will get beat.

KingBarry
9/16/2008, 09:46 PM
Honestly, I could imagine USC getting left out. What if Ohio State fell to Wisconsin and Penn State? What if the Pac 10, well...was the Pac 10??? Their schedule will take a beating. Meanwhile, let's say OU beats Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, OSU and then a possible unbeaten Missouri. Same type of scenario for the SEC champ. No way in hell the SEC and Big 12 will have more to brag about and will have proven more.

I think strictly objectively, if those three all turned in perfect seasons then I think the teams from the two toughest conferences, with conf championship games, should go. Ergo, Big XII v. SEC in the BCS Championship.

However, I am starting to think some of these Big XII teams will turn out to be overrated, (cough-texas tech-kansas-cough) so that analysis may not hold up.

There is just so much football to be played, let what happens, happen.

OKLA21FAN
9/16/2008, 09:53 PM
again. let it play out
http://orgs.tamu-commerce.edu/pdk/iearn/davenport/pics/sjpics/17jumpgun_x.jpg

Sabanball
9/16/2008, 10:08 PM
And you're buying that? Are you kidding? What planet are you on??? OU and SC are the drive- by media darlings right now. Keep winning(all you have left is TCU and Texas--and Mizzou in the championship game) and you two will freeze everyone else out, including the SEC top team. You control your own destiny. Not sure that's fair, but that's the way the cookie crumbles this season....

soonerpike697
9/16/2008, 10:38 PM

I like the fact that no one thinks we deserve it. I like having that edge about us...

8timechamps
9/16/2008, 10:43 PM
And you're buying that? Are you kidding? What planet are you on??? OU and SC are the drive- by media darlings right now. Keep winning(all you have left is TCU and Texas--and Mizzou in the championship game) and you two will freeze everyone else out, including the SEC top team. You control your own destiny. Not sure that's fair, but that's the way the cookie crumbles this season....

TCU?

C'mon.

Also, I think if a SEC team does manage to go undefeated, they will almost be assured a spot in the big game.

cheezyq
9/16/2008, 11:41 PM
I saw that, too, and he may be right, but his logic was completely flawed. Saying because of our latest BCS performance is ridiculous...and is not a factor in this year.

Since computers get involved the Coaches poll won't be the end all, be all decision. It COULD happen, but likely will not...since teams will get beat.

Your logic is based on the BCS circa 2000. Since that time the BCS has undergone 3-4 revisions so that the voters can specifically leave out whoever they want. Think back to last year where the Harris polls put LSU in because they didn't want Georgia, Kansas, or WVU in the MNC game.

If this scenario plays out, I guarantee that USC and the SEC champ get put in. The Harris poll will vote OU 10th, just to make sure that it happens that way.

Seriously, think about the revisions in the BCS:

1. 2000 - Miami/UW get left out, so they revise the computer formulas to take into account head-to-head. At this time, the computers had a HUGE affect on the BCS formula. It was smarter this way. The computers were unbiased and took into account all kinds of factors in placement of teams. The minor adjustment here was reasonable and didn't have a major affect on the BCS formula.

2. 2003 - We make the championship game, despite the fact that we lost big against KSU in the B12 CCG. Again, the computers were unbiased in that they considered that KSU beat Cal, who also beat USC. Computers also didn't worry about the "timing" of the loss, something I personally agree with. BCS committee hated this, and asked that computer formulas be revised to only account for margin of victory up to 21 points (which was assumed as the reason we got in over USC). AP splits from the rules and votes media darling USC champ.

3. 2004 - We again make the championship, with USC and Auburn also being undefeated. Not sitting well with the AP and their media darlings USC and SEC, they cut out the computers almost completely by rolling all the computer rankings into an average that computes for only 1/3 of the equation. Margin of victory is completely removed. The other 2/3 of the BCS formula are filled by the coaches and AP polls.

4. 2006 - The AP is tired of not getting their way and wants to crown their own champ (USC...every freaking year). They split from BCS and Harris takes their place.

The ONLY difference between now and 1985 is that instead of just voting who wins the crown, the polls vote who gets to be in the championship. The computers BARELY factor in and strength of schedule means virtually nothing in today's BCS. The BCS in 1998 was intended to be an UNBIASED selector for the championship game. That is no longer the case as the "unbiased" part has been removed almost completely.

Consider 2003/2004 and the comments from the show you watched. The biggest media markets for college football in the country are in the SEC, the Big 10, and the Pac-10 (or, just USC, really). The AP represents essentially ONLY the Big 10, SEC and LA markets. The Harris is no different. AP/Harris wants to see USC v. SEC EVERY year. That's what they wanted in 2003/4 and it's what they want now. If the Big 10 were more competitive, they'd figure into the mix, too.

I'm not playing the "we get no respect" card. I'm just stating simple fact. I think we get plenty of respect and I see/hear/read plenty of good things about OU. But given a preference, there's no way the SEC and USC play 2nd fiddle to OU and miss out on the championship. The system is designed for the express purpose of allowing the media to choose who they want to see.

KingBarry
9/19/2008, 02:09 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head.

College football, like most all big-time sports, is nowadays run by the television networks--and the television networks do not want to see small market teams.

I am not sure what we can do about it. We have a national reputation and can attract a nation audience, but we don`t own the LA market either.

Sucks to be us.

ousooners182
9/19/2008, 04:58 AM
yeah if the sec champ goes undefeated i guarantee they are a lock..and usc...well everyone knows "media darling" usc would get in..but come on guys it seems every year we have this talk about which team would get left out..and truth is that ..well def. this year...3 teams are not going undefeated..ou and usc have the easiest road..but georgia no way..florida..no way..

batonrougesooner
9/19/2008, 07:36 AM
Assuming everything goes as we all hope it does, a Big 12 Champ game between OU and Mizzou will be billed as a playoff for a spot opposite either USC or the SEC champ in the national championship. Put another way, if OU and Mizzou both reach the conference championship undefeated, there is NO WAY that game isn't for a spot in the BCS title game.

If OU takes care of business, they should be fine. It's extremely unlikely OU will drop if they keep winning.

wishbonesooner
9/19/2008, 08:42 AM
If we do get left out, there's really nobody to blame but us. Like it or not, losing 4 BCS games in a row has cost us a lot as far as people's perception of Bob and our program. It sucks, and this season shouldn't have anything to do with what happened in the past, but a lot of college football fans think we've become chokers.

TexasLidig8r
9/19/2008, 09:44 AM
I'm still not convinced the best two teams have EVER been picked since the BCS began.

Texas and USC 2005

badger
9/19/2008, 11:36 AM
Texas and USC 2005

:rolleyes: annual playoff discussion ends in phail

AZSOONER
9/19/2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=ousooners182;2407818]yeah if the sec champ goes undefeated i guarantee they are a lock..QUOTE]

Even if OU destroys an undefeated #3 mu team in the Big XII CCG?

SapulpaSooner
9/19/2008, 01:40 PM
To hell with the SEC

stoops the eternal pimp
9/19/2008, 01:51 PM
it won't happen this year...no team in the SEC will be undefeated

GeorgiaTider
9/19/2008, 02:46 PM
It won't happen. The SEC will kill each other like they do every year. UGA, UF, Aub, LSU, and Bama are just going to slaughter each other. I'm not concerned about any SEC team going to the championship game at this point. It will be us vs USC

I have to agree with you on this. I do not see the SEC making it to championship game. I was hoping you guys would make it last year. Please don't blow it this year.

Sabanball
9/20/2008, 01:01 PM
I have to agree with you on this. I do not see the SEC making it to championship game. I was hoping you guys would make it last year. Please don't blow it this year.

I agree. The 'Big 5' of the SEC ALL have more difficult schedules to navigate than OU, and thus a tougher path to the BCS Title Game. If you guys dont get in, it will more than likely be your own fault. After what you guys did to Mizzou last season, I'm not worried about them getting in your way. Maybe then you guys will finally beat the condoms.

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 01:17 PM
I agree. The 'Big 5' of the SEC ALL have more difficult schedules to navigate than OU, and thus a tougher path to the BCS Title Game. If you guys dont get in, it will more than likely be your own fault. After what you guys did to Mizzou last season, I'm not worried about them getting in your way. Maybe then you guys will finally beat the condoms.
That's not true. Neb. will be in the top 25 by the time we play them, in addition OU plays top 10 texas, top 10 texas tech, top 15 Kansas and a championship game against top 5 Mizzou.

IronHorseSooner
9/20/2008, 01:20 PM
That's not true. Neb. will be in the top 25 by the time we play them, in addition OU plays top 10 texas, top 10 texas tech, top 15 Kansas and a championship game against top 5 Mizzou.

You forget about that TEAM ON THE RISE!!!!!! [hairGel] :stunned:

yermom
9/20/2008, 01:33 PM
Texas and USC 2005

tOSU and Miami in 2002...

and in 2003 the AP had no agreement to crown the winner of the BCS as the champion. if USuCk was #1 at the end of the regular season and won their bowl game, why would they pick LSU?

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 02:06 PM
You forget about that TEAM ON THE RISE!!!!!! [hairGel] :stunned:meh, a win is expected every year over those dooshes.

Sabanball
9/20/2008, 02:09 PM

Let's wait and see. They could very, very easily have three losses by the time you guys play them. In fact, I predict they will lose their three next games.

JLEW1818
9/20/2008, 02:10 PM
04-05
usc
OU
Auburn

I personally think if any SEC team goes undfeated, its Auburn !!! so what I said it!!!

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 03:24 PM
Let's wait and see. They could very, very easily have three losses by the time you guys play them. In fact, I predict they will lose their three next games.Well then we'll only have to play 4 top 10 teams then.

soonerfan28
9/20/2008, 05:00 PM
Not if we play and undefeated Texas and an undefeated Missouri. They'll both be highly ranked when we play them.

UTsucks
9/20/2008, 05:14 PM
I see Penn State in the mix. I don't see anyone in the Big 10 beating them.

OU

PSU :D

chad
9/20/2008, 06:56 PM
I see Penn State in the mix. I don't see anyone in the Big 10 beating them.

OU

PSU :D
I was coming in here to mention Penn State. I'm surprised it took this long for them to be mentioned. They probably have just as good of a chance of going undefeated as USC does.

What a cluster**** it would be to have undefeated
OU
USC
PSU
SEC of your choice
at the end of the season.

That would be entertainment.

JLEW1818
9/20/2008, 06:59 PM
PLUS 1

Big Red Ron
9/20/2008, 07:01 PM
I was coming in here to mention Penn State. I'm surprised it took this long for them to be mentioned. They probably have just as good of a chance of going undefeated as USC does.

What a cluster**** it would be to have undefeated
OU
USC
PSU
SEC of your choice
at the end of the season.

That would be entertainment.
Entertaining but crappy. If we weren't left out, we'd get a tarneshed trophy.

Although that would have to blow up the BCS.

shaun4411
9/21/2008, 01:33 AM
Entertaining but crappy. If we weren't left out, we'd get a tarneshed trophy.

Although that would have to blow up the BCS.

lets blow up the bcs. someone would pad the pockets of some refs before letting all those teams go undefeated.

ou, usc, an SEC team, psu...all undefeated.

1 loss texas, 1 loss missouri, 1 loss SEC team, , maybe 1 undefeated midmajor.

cheezyq
9/21/2008, 09:04 AM
Alright, I've had enough. I just heard the words "SEC supremacy" for the eleventy-billionth time this morning. I've now changed my mind as to who I want to face in the MNC (assuming we get there). I was kind of hoping for payback against USC. But now I want to kick some SEC ***. I want whoever comes out of the SEC, preferably undefeated so they can be super-hyped. And I want Stoops to lay a beat-down on them.

IronHorseSooner
9/21/2008, 09:20 AM
lets blow up the bcs. someone would pad the pockets of some refs before letting all those teams go undefeated.

ou, usc, an SEC team, psu...all undefeated.

1 loss texas, 1 loss missouri, 1 loss SEC team, , maybe 1 undefeated midmajor.

I agree, but MIzzou and Hook 'em have to play.